Winona's Character Update is Coming Next Week!

9 hours ago, pedregales said:

She dislikes all gems because they are "snooty" or too fancy. Well, except for one I think.

Just read the quotes, she doesn't care for most gems, but she dislikes the orange gems (laziness) and likes he green gems (work)

Cycled through a lot of thematic colors in my time, currently on a red kick, but I've always been green on the inside~

had a doctor tell me that that's concerning but clearly he was an uncultured nerd

Something to note in relation to some recent expeditions of mine into character quotes trying to figure out their speech patterns: Winona's burnt out on mining and doesn't like it, though she is indeed somewhat experienced.

11 hours ago, Mooagain said:

Just read the quotes, she doesn't care for most gems, but she dislikes the orange gems (laziness) and likes he green gems (work)

That makes it even worse since she doesn't care for them why would she use them as fuel xD. Jokes aside, the line between indifference and dislike is very thin, plus she calls the purple one (I think), snooty, which is an insult, so she dislikes at least 2 gems.

On 3/5/2019 at 12:20 PM, reverentsatyr said:

On my 350+ world, I never have any problems getting nitre. I just have to take the time to do it.

I bet that the catapult will look more like a machine than a medieval catapult. I think it makes sense that she knows how to make machines.

And how hard is it to get at least 1 blue/red gem from hound waves every 4 to 7 days? You can also kill dragonfly for 3 to 6 gems (plus 3 special gems that you usually want to use in thulecite crafting). You can also kill McTusk and his dogs every 2 days for a chance to get a blue gem. And in the caves there are even more (although there are also special gems). And the best of them all: a varg farm (although that is far more advanced). The problem is not just how hard/easy nitre is to get, is also how efficient the GEMerator is going to be compared to the regular generator, making it pointless.

As a factory worker she should be assembling machines, not learning how to build them or even building them, she should not have the knowledge to build and develop her own machines. Of course, she could have reverse engineered a couple of the things she assembled and learn a thing or two, which makes her slightly more cool.

2 hours ago, pedregales said:

As a factory worker she should be assembling machines, not learning how to build them or even building them, she should not have the knowledge to build and develop her own machines.

Yes, but being an assembling worker doesn't mean you can't have ideas for your own projects, and as other users mentioned, Winona had additional jobs before the Wagstaff factory. Plus the new perks seems to be the result of having lived some time in the Constant, learning new experiences and knowledge.

And curiously, her new stuff is based on her quote about Nitre:

"I got some plans in mind for that."

I find cons that are based on stat differences pretty weak.

Punishing how much hunger or sanity you have available in DS is usually more of a chore and a kind of babysitting simulator than anything that truly makes you play the game differently. Health and combat stat-drawbacks, sure, forces you to tackle fights in a new light. But the only differences seems to be one of two; long grinding times for gear and exploits, or, just.. not.. having.. to do that?

I don't know, it just rubs me the wrong way

Especially sanity, I feel like it's been so abused. Wet equipment drains your brains? Pffwhat? Hay fever makes you insane, c'mooon? It's so ridiculously fast like snapping your fingers, it boils down to "here comes the shadow battle season unless you have that one HAT on you". You just run into a sudden -->[death wall] out of nowhere if you aren't prepared, if you are prepared well then congratulations on your mandatory hat. Meanwhile, slippery tools and sneezing items out of your inventory is hilarious and a lot more manageable, y'know it's.. different? But you never even get a chance to see any of those drawbacks because pfft iunno maybe nobody wants to deal with freaking straight up death o'clock is now.com or sanity b'gone because arbitrary season reason.

TANGENTS aside, hey cool, winona update.

6 hours ago, pedregales said:

As a factory worker she should be assembling machines, not learning how to build them or even building them

well she shows distaste for handmade things so maybe she was a maintenance woman who kept the machines in top shape so she could have worked on the factory and know how to build/fix machines along with her new survival skill has made the generator and catapult and such

54 minutes ago, Cosheeta said:

Especially sanity, I feel like it's been so abused. Wet equipment drains your brains? Pffwhat? Hay fever makes you insane, c'mooon?

How else are they going to express extreme discomfort in a gameplay mechanic? Both of these can easily be causes for stress.

3 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

How else are they going to express extreme discomfort in a gameplay mechanic? Both of these can easily be causes for stress.

Well, do they have to express extreme discomfort or stress? Yes being wet and sneezy can easily be causes for stress but they could also be a little number in the corner that's telling us what we're supposed to feel instead of making us feel it.

Again I think having slippery tools, sneezing items out, and probably more such things could leave players with a better emotional impact than steering gameplay into a CookieClicker-esque value evaluator

3 hours ago, Cosheeta said:

Well, do they have to express extreme discomfort or stress?

Considering that sanity, or your general mental state, is a core gameplay mechanic... I'd say the answer to that is yes.

3 hours ago, Cosheeta said:

Yes being wet and sneezy can easily be causes for stress but they could also be a little number in the corner that's telling us what we're supposed to feel instead of making us feel it.

The whole point of it is to emulate real life to some degree. You're not going to just stand outside in the rain all day in wet, heavy clothing are you? Most people would seek shelter, attempt to stay as dry as possible or wear clothing that repels water instead of absorbing it. So they translate this into gameplay mechanics to emulate this behavior. If they just tell you that you're wet and uncomfortable, and there's no real repercussions, then it's just going to largely be ignored by most players.

4 hours ago, Cosheeta said:

Again I think having slippery tools, sneezing items out, and probably more such things could leave players with a better emotional impact than steering gameplay into a CookieClicker-esque value evaluator

I mean, if you really boil it down that much, one could say the game in it's entirety is a "CookieClicker-esque value evaluator". After all, the only real goal of the game is to make sure those values don't fall down to 0.

4 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Considering that sanity, or your general mental state, is a core gameplay mechanic... I'd say the answer to that is yes.

The whole point of it is to emulate real life to some degree. You're not going to just stand outside in the rain all day in wet, heavy clothing are you? Most people would seek shelter, attempt to stay as dry as possible or wear clothing that repels water instead of absorbing it. So they translate this into gameplay mechanics to emulate this behavior. If they just tell you that you're wet and uncomfortable, and there's no real repercussions, then it's just going to largely be ignored by most players.

I mean, if you really boil it down that much, one could say the game in it's entirety is a "CookieClicker-esque value evaluator". After all, the only real goal of the game is to make sure those values don't fall down to 0.

I think you either ignore or miss my point but if not it is fair enough you feel that way. I don't agree.

Emulate real life is probably the part I disagree the most since I don't see myself going insane by being wet, but I can understand how being in complete darkness or near big hairy stuff would make you really paranoid and on edge, aka kinda loony after too long.

Also why doesn't slippery tools and sneezing items out count as gamemechanic enough here? I feel like they could "emulate real life" a bit better by just making soggy a cumbersome experience without having to involve other (almost unrelated I'd say) imaginary enemies

Like, if I, and most people as you put it, find it cumbersome to walk in heavy wind, is Klei really only able to represent that by making imaginary friends eat me whenever it blows in the game? Or maybe they could just make sure the wind itself is the cumbersome experience because of pushing mechanics.

Simply put in real life I find rain cumbersome because of the rain itself, not that it leads to monster coming out that I have to deal with.

Imagine watching cast away, but instead of being a film about a man going mad from isolation it's just one day him leaving his office when it happened to be raining outside and he forgot to bring his favourite umbrella on the ready. Whoops insane now, time to get out the wilson ball for a conversation all the way home shelter.

Watching a film like that would be how it feels to me when rain makes you insane in the game. It feels unrelated, like a long stretch. Why would that make him insane? But you know that's just based on my opinion of what makes a person insane so truly; whatever. Anyone who feels differently just gets to enjoy the game more right.

Archived