reverse the drywall changes

One of the negative changes of the otherwise QOL Mk.2 preview upgrade is that you can no longer overlay tiles/doors and drywall. I could accept the change for solid tiles because, there is no gas loss involved, but it has to be reversed for doors! Pneumatic doors build in in the space biome bases will now be unable to be prevented to leak out gasses, and each time airlocks open they release gas into space. That is absolutely unacceptable and I want to firmly request to reverse the change, because there was absolutely no exploitation involved. Unless there is a hidden FPS improvement, the change is utterly useless and a step back in versatility.

20 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Unless there is a hidden FPS improvement

There is a hidden improvement by limiting the possible temperature calculations for a given tile.

(Should be just a very minor improvement.)

It´s much harder to change any room layout build in the space biome but that´s nothing a would complain about.

(Just some added difficulty if you got your planning wrong.)

But loosing atmosphere everytime a door is opened is really annoying. Sure we are able to prevent that by building liquid locks with drywalls behind the doors but that´s not a solution I want to use all the time.

=> Please let us build drywalls behind doors, maybe just pneumatic doors ;)

(Or maybe behind pneumatic doors, mesh and airflow tiles.)

PS: There were a couple ways to "exploit" the drywalls, to increase the thermal mass of tiles.

I wouldn't call it a hidden improvement - just an oversight after fixing an "issue" (wasn't really an issue to me, but I've seen it reported) that walls could be built behind tiles. The way the scene system works is just that there are some predefined 'location requirements' and they simply switched to NotInTile (which also means not in doorways).

I'll drop a mod reversing that in a moment (or a long moment -- I just woke up :P)

I second the original suggestion. I don't quite understand the reason for the change, and space got a lot more annoying to deal with. I often expand buildings there, including lox/lh2 tanks (yeah I suck at planning).

The drywall also prevents the pitcher pump from being placed. :?

But the other layer didn't go anywhere. The only thing that changed was placement restriction... just like some things can buildings can only be attached to a wall or ceiling. I'm almost certain it was an oversight while fixing the other 'issue'.  There was no "performance fix" whatosever.

3 hours ago, biopon said:

I second the original suggestion. I don't quite understand the reason for the change, and space got a lot more annoying to deal with. I often expand buildings there, including lox/lh2 tanks (yeah I suck at planning).

The drywall also prevents the pitcher pump from being placed. :?

They change in response to these bugs:-

For me the biggest way to exploit drywalls was to build them behind metal or insulated tiles.

4 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

This change makes it so you cannot use mesh or airflow tiles in a room with an atmosphere in space.  Is that really the intention?

I hope that wasn´t the intention.

So I wish they would allow us to build them just behind mesh/airflow tiles and pneumatic doors.

4 hours ago, Yunru said:

I know you can make liquid locks with Viscogel.

So as a stopgap, you could flood your pneumatic doors with Viscogel?

Another more accessible stopgap: you could make your space-rooms accessible via transit tube, so you don't need airlocks

If the point of this change is to avoid being able to add extra mass to normal tiles, I would much rather see them change drywall to only serve the purpose of providing a background but act as a zero mass object with regards to heat transfer.  That way, it could still serve it's purpose to block off space exposure, but would provide no other benefits.  We already have tempshift plates if we want a backgound object that transfers heat.

7 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

So I wish they would allow us to build them just behind mesh/airflow tiles and pneumatic doors.

And mech doors, and (khm) pitcher pumps, and gantries.

So they might as well just allow all tiles.

3 minutes ago, Nitroturtle said:

If the point of this change is to avoid being able to add extra mass to normal tiles

I don't think that was the point. @Ozcuraz is right a few posts above, they closed those two bugs with this release - maybe the change looked like a quick fix to those issues?

3 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

Yes, I could do that. Would you blame me making the remark that just does not look neat :p?

Not at all, the only liquid-airlock I accept is viscogel!

Seriously... yeah, they should fix it, the fix. Only solid tiles (insulation, metal, glass, normal, fish feeder middle, fish release middle) which do not let anything through should cover the background layer.

Not airflow, mesh, doors, gantries, pumps and whatever may be used as tile (you can build on doors and if it was not for the pump on the pump, one could do to).

15 minutes ago, biopon said:

I don't think that was the point. @Ozcuraz is right a few posts above, they closed those two bugs with this release - maybe the change looked like a quick fix to those issues?

I'm not sure I agree about that.  The second issue had apparently already been fixed, as I can't reproduce it in the live branch.  The first issue sounds like it was working correctly to begin with, where tempshift plates cannot be placed behind (mesh/airflow) tiles, but drywall could.

1 hour ago, Nitroturtle said:

This change makes it so you cannot use mesh or airflow tiles in a room with an atmosphere in space.  Is that really the intention?

i was always doing that mash tile in space for insulation tile to save my costly Insulation tile(the space insulate material)  this mean I have to torn my liquid oxygen tank and liquid hydrogen tank....

I always think that they should give the replace tile ability with drywall vs tile as same as replacing normal tile vs metal/insulate tile
otherwise it so painful to extent/reduce a bit of room in space.
the new change basically make title vs drywall like ladder vs plastic ladder...definitely a downgraded QoL in that regard.

5 hours ago, Nitroturtle said:

I'm not sure I agree about that.  The second issue had apparently already been fixed, as I can't reproduce it in the live branch.  The first issue sounds like it was working correctly to begin with, where tempshift plates cannot be placed behind (mesh/airflow) tiles, but drywall could.

That is my interpretation as well. Tempshift for effectively normalizing heat, drywall for turning vacuum places into none vacuum places. The latter has now been partially undone because you can't operate doors or even airflow/mesh titles with leaking out gas.

@Ipsquiggle you should really check this thread.

Archived