QoL Upgrade Mk 1 Now Open For Testing! - 295825

Thanks Klei for all the fixes. I'm liking what I'm seeing. Especially the matter of the que's in buildings and metal refinery heating problems.

Since we're talking about major bug fixing: just a little addition I find myself having a little trouble with is clothing. When my dupes rummage the lockers, for some reason they don't go wear the clothing when I assign a dupe for it. I have this problem with my textile loom as well. Though I can make clothing and it spawns properly, they don't go wear it. I haven't tested yet whether the problem comes solely from the lockers and jumps to the textile loom or if this is something that exists at both.

Another situation that might be worth looking into is the ore scrubber. In previous saved games I had instances where the scrubber doesn't scrub if there is only small quantities of CO2. This happened for example when exploring an ice biome or other biomes where your dupes walk around outside the starting area. Handy if it would work for pre-exosuit exploration. At my recent saves I've been using algae terrariums instead at this stage, so I can't say how it works for my current saves in these situations.

Hopefully this proved to be worthwhile feedback. Good luck on the testing and further development. I look forward to the changes in game.

26 minutes ago, Ixenzo said:

It's also liquid-permeable. Functionally identical to a decor-positive mesh tile. I certainly welcome this addition.

Probably not an intended feature. The tile shows a lighter color, similar to the tiles that came with the pre-fab building you find in space...Meteors would pass through those tiles as well...(not anymore)

Probably nothing saying water / gas can't pass through in the code, the art doesn't appear to be fully implemented yet either...As of now Crown moulding also allows water and gas to pass through it.

My other comment on these carpeted tiles, please make them require Reed Fiber. It's not only logical, it would be a GREAT way to make reed fiber more useful.

Would it be possible to make the pre-fab'd buildings in game de-constructible? That would also be a nice addition to this update.

Edited by ruhrohraggy
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Khullag said:

BTW, all production orders in new ui (e.g. Electric Grill) are reset to 0 after reload.

And some items are missing (Barbeque and Pepper Bread at least, beware if you have a late-game save).

> Increased Automation: Critter Sensor outputs a signal based on the number of critters and eggs in a room

It counts even eggs in any kind of storage, including sweepers and conveyor buildings. That means it's actually not usable for any kind of automation, since as soon as some critters die, they'll never be replaced. The moment there will be more eggs than needed for the maximum limits, sweepers controlled by the critter sensors will first collect _all_ eggs and only afterwards the sensor will turn off => no egg will last long enough to hatch. IMO the sensor should count only eggs in the actual room, not in any kind of a container.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nice update, but i just loaded my last save from previous update and the game run at 10 fps now, instead of 60+...

I will try with a fresh save later.

And for the recipe list, can you put the infinite on the left of "zero"?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, alown said:

And for the recipe list, can you put the infinite on the left of "zero"?

Yes, and also this way the maximum number could be higher. Sometimes infinite amount is way too much but just 5 food items is too little.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, llunak said:

Increased Automation: Critter Sensor outputs a signal based on the number of critters and eggs in a room

It counts even eggs in any kind of storage, including sweepers and conveyor buildings. That means it's actually not usable for any kind of automation, since as soon as some critters die, they'll never be replaced. The moment there will be more eggs than needed for the maximum limits, sweepers controlled by the critter sensors will first collect _all_ eggs and only afterwards the sensor will turn off => no egg will last long enough to hatch. IMO the sensor should count only eggs in the actual room, not in any kind of a container.

But it wouldn't be too hard to time automation to match how long eggs take to hatch

I'm sure some one will find a way to fully automate it and post their builds

18 minutes ago, ruhrohraggy said:

My other comment on these carpeted tiles, please make them require Reed Fiber. It's not only logical, it would be a GREAT way to make reed fiber more useful.

So at least 160 kg of water per tile, huh? I'd have to say sorry then to carpeted tiles (to get as much Insulator as possible) since they also lack the speed bonus while the decor is very little (and with a radius which allows for like +16 in comparison to normal tiles.

Well, there is not even art for them yet (or, well, 'em being mesh tiles) but it is worth considering to:

• increase radius to 2, 3 or 4 (for carpet'd ceilings, should seriously cost Reed Fiber then)
  • or increase decor (if much more also Reed)
  • add Reed Fiber as requirement but rebalance Reed Fiber cost (160-320 kg water per unit is terribad)
1 minute ago, llunak said:

Yes, and also this way the maximum number could be higher. Sometimes infinite amount is way too much but just 5 food items is too little.

Don't forget about shift-click to increment by like 10 or holding which steadily accelerates~

• Like 1

@Ipsquiggle Great patch, here's some reports :

BUG

Water flows through the Crown Moulding Tile :

moulding.thumb.png.dad2bd2234588aa73e457f1790645d82.png

Duplicants Portraits don't display in any window :

portrait.png.662ab448bb5d783f8482cbc8a8936047.png

Ergonomics

ergo1.png.cb4dd4634222b40ff8a83f19d99b3263.png

It's a pain to uncheck a food that I don't want produce anymore. Before, I just have to click on it, now, I have to click 6 times from Infinite to 0.

toll.png.7c6b6eba1a48b7ce01e301e12135fe67.png

It's a good idea but it will be great if we can choose which action button is big because, personnally, I use a lot the "Move Debris" and "Mop".

Edited by SamLogan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, llunak said:

And some items are missing (Barbeque and Pepper Bread at least, beware if you have a late-game save).

> Increased Automation: Critter Sensor outputs a signal based on the number of critters and eggs in a room

Of course it should count egg in containers. It has to count the number of potential critters.

But it's really really simple to do what you want to do.

Have a conveyor loader set to accept eggs. Place a sweeper arm in the farm. Attach a critter counter to the loader. When critter count has reached what your have set all additional eggs are pick up by the loader. You can have several methods for restocking when critters die. Or you can just wait until the next critter lays an egg restocking the numbers by itself.

6 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

So at least 160 kg of water per tile, huh? I'd have to say sorry then to carpeted tiles (to get as much Insulator as possible) since they also lack the speed bonus while the decor is very little (and with a radius which allows for like +16 in comparison to normal tiles.

Well, there is not even art for them yet (or, well, 'em being mesh tiles) but it is worth considering to:

• increase radius to 2, 3 or 4 (for carpet'd ceilings, should seriously cost Reed Fiber then)
  • or increase decor (if much more also Reed)
  • add Reed Fiber as requirement but rebalance Reed Fiber cost (160-320 kg water per unit is terribad)

Don't forget about shift-click to increment by like 10 or holding which steadily accelerates~

Well, was just an idea.

It just seems weird that carpeted tiles wouldn't incur any additional resource cost whatsoever. I suppose the run-speed reduction is enough of a penalty?

And I like choices. You should have to choose "Carpeted tiles" over something...Right?

*Shrug*

Edited by ruhrohraggy

28 minutes ago, llunak said:

It counts even eggs in any kind of storage, including sweepers and conveyor buildings. That means it's actually not usable for any kind of automation.

Critter sensor linked to incubator enable/disable port ?

7 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

But it wouldn't be too hard to time automation to match how long eggs take to hatch

I'm sure some one will find a way to fully automate it and post their builds

I just had an idea, what if we build a "nusery" that only allows 1 egg to hatch at a time.  The baby will be on standby until the main stable detected less than 8 critters.  Then drop the baby with horizontal doors.

Just now, Neotuck said:

I just had an idea, what if we build a "nusery" that only allows 1 egg to hatch at a time.  The baby will be on standby until the main stable detected less than 8 critters.  Then drop the baby with horizontal doors.

Yes. Or as I described above. You can just wait.

3 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Of course it should count egg in containers. It has to count the number of potential critters.

How you even already tried the bloody thing? No, it doesn't. How is an egg picked up by a sweeper or transported away on a conveyor rail a potential critter? And even if it would magically hatch somehow in the room, it's still a much less likely case than the plain "use critter sensor for transporting away all surplus eggs". Even if the suggested workarounds would work somehow (I doubt it), this update is called Quality of Life, and so the simple stuff should be simple and if somebody wants it overcomplicated they can have it that way.

9 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

But it's really really simple to do what you want to do.

Do tell. None of the things described here are simple, most wouldn't even work.

10 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

When critter count has reached what your have set all additional eggs are pick up by the loader.

Read again what I wrote, Not all additional, _all_ eggs get picked up.

11 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

Or you can just wait until the next critter lays an egg restocking the numbers by itself.

Too bad the egg will last only until another critter lays another egg, which will make both eggs get transported away.

Front sizes?

If I see this right, description and some other fonts have gotten larger. That may cause a problem with screen real-estate and at least I do not need the increase. In fact, I would like smaller fonts in most places. Any change of an options-setting? Any other way to adjust this?

I know someone mentioned a problem with rockets coming back with missing parts, my issue may be connected with that I'm not sure.

My current game always crashes upon my rocket returning. I've read that can be solved by returning to a save point where you had not loaded while the rocket was away.

Does this update fix my issue? And do you still need to avoid loading while the rocket is away?

Edited by RailgunD

6 minutes ago, MorsDux said:

Somehow pepper bread is not in the list for electric grills anymore. BBQ missing also. Anyone else?

Can confirm. Do not see in list either...Even with all ingredients accessible, and a cook standing by.

Edited by ruhrohraggy

How you even already tried the bloody thing?

Yes. That's why I know it works.

Too bad the egg will last only until another critter lays another egg, which will make both eggs get transported away.

You just need a bit of automation. Imagine the switch is the counter. It makes the loader stay on for 5 seconds. Only long enough to pick up a single egg then it checks if the sensor output is still enabled. If not, it shuts down.

image.thumb.png.1447eb8e2ee4e4a3fa9d7dcd476fc6a1.png

But I take it from your tone that you don't actually want help but just want to complain which is fine with me. I'll refrain from helping any further.

Edited by Saturnus
  • Like 4