What took Charlie so long?

tl/dr: why did charlie wait until wilson was on the throne to rule?

Okay, so I've been looking at the DST New Reign Cinematic, and I began wondering why it took Charlie so long to be the ruler. She and Maxwell both got pulled into the Constant at the same time, but obviously Maxwell was put on the throne and Charlie turned into the Night Monster. A little After Maxwell is released, and his place taken by Wilson, Charlie releases Wilson and takes the throne. So obviously she wanted to rule, or at least part of her, so what took her so long to take over?

My current theory is that Maxwell was more powerful than her, and so Charlie couldn't take the throne. When Wilson was put on the throne, it was easier than taking candy from a baby to take the throne from him. Either that or Charlie just hated Maxwell enough to leave him on the throne. 

Anyways, does anybody have a canon explanation or any theories? I'm not sure if it explicitly states why anywhere within the game why this played out as it did.

36 minutes ago, Catteflyterpill said:

tl/dr: why did charlie wait until wilson was on the throne to rule?

Okay, so I've been looking at the DST New Reign Cinematic, and I began wondering why it took Charlie so long to be the ruler. She and Maxwell both got pulled into the Constant at the same time, but obviously Maxwell was put on the throne and Charlie turned into the Night Monster. A little After Maxwell is released, and his place taken by Wilson, Charlie releases Wilson and takes the throne. So obviously she wanted to rule, or at least part of her, so what took her so long to take over?

My current theory is that Maxwell was more powerful than her, and so Charlie couldn't take the throne. When Wilson was put on the throne, it was easier than taking candy from a baby to take the throne from him. Either that or Charlie just hated Maxwell enough to leave him on the throne. 

Anyways, does anybody have a canon explanation or any theories? I'm not sure if it explicitly states why anywhere within the game why this played out as it did.

Maxwell and Charlie were the rulers of Constant, until the intervention of Wilson. After the "death" of Maxwell as Lord Shadow, everything was paused with Wilson stuck in the throne.

Charlie was the Night Monster, remnants of the old control over the land. So, it seems that she just took the opportunity while Wilson did not know how to use the Throne (¿Because only corrupted beings by shadows can use throne?).

Maxwell is seen again in Cyclum Puzzles, only when Wilson was expelled already and Charlie being the new Lord Shadow.

Wilson doesn't know how to control shadows. Possession of shadows is a skill that not everyone can use. So Charlie may have been punished for her curiosity and turned into a night monster. Or her soul was invaded by shadows... You can build a lot of theories, but I'm leaning towards it. Wilson's a pawn in the game. Everyone makes their move to win in this world. Especially when Maxwell sat on the throne, he was the most powerful, because he ruled the world of DS. Charlie couldn't fight him.

On 11/22/2018 at 7:46 PM, GiddyGuy said:

In the a new reign animation Charlie puts out the maxwell lights around Wilson, I'm guessing they were called that since Maxwell kept them alight to keep her away,

They were extinguished all the time, unless somebody came close enough.

Also I think that Charlie didn't release Maxwell, because she hated him after what happened back in San Francisco and didn't bother to help him. Wilson, on the other hand, didn't give Her any reason to stay there.

Also, remember that The throne makes The King/Queen completely invulnerable to anything, including Charlie. Charlie was summoned near The throne because There was nobody near aside from Wilson.

Also she has double personality. Her Good side is kind, and quite friendly. Her evil self is vicious, sadistic and bloodthirsty.

When Her Good side released Wilson from The throne, he instantly became vulnerable, and that triggered Her evil side. That happens whenever Someone is nearby.

Her evil self, which was presumably created when she entered The constant, attacked Wilson. But we can see Charlie turning Back to Her normal self, because she is trying to fight her evil self because she doesn't want to actually hurt Wilson, but she fails. After Wilson disappears, we can see Charlie looking around to see if Wilson survived (she doesn't know what is happening when Her evil side takes control), but then she realised what happened and felt guilty.

This also symbolizes why we don't die from Charlie's attacks at once: she is fighting herself to give us some more time to get to some light source.

I basically have two main thoughts about this:

1.  It took her a long time to GET the amount of sort-of-"control" we see her have in the A New Reign cinematic.  She spent the time Maxwell was on the throne as a mostly-animalistic shadow monster, being only able to WARN the victims ahead of time with a hiss, but not actually stop herself.

2.  Wilson wasn't there for very long when she gets there in the cinematic; he seems to have just barely realised that he can't free his arms and is only kinda bummed.  If he'd been there for a long time he'd be corrupted, older looking, gaunt, something.  Or have the look of years' worth of fury and depression on his face...but the video gives the feeling that he'd only been there for less than a day or so.

So...Charlie may have just then gotten herself back together (ha ha) at around the same time as Wilson got to the throne. Maybe _slightly_ earlier...but It was Maxwell's fault she had gone through all that in the first place so she wasn't exactly in a hurry for HIM. And then...?  Well, half of her wanted the power now that it was easier to get; half of her wanted to free the poor schmuck who hadn't done anything to her.  So, both halves went to the throne room and then had it out with each other.  : P

As for the crush, that was TOTALLY before, back in the real world, and had nothing to do with Maxwell's ruling status or lack thereof.  I don't at all see pre-messed-up Charlie as anywhere near that shallow.  I get the impression they just genuinely got along well before all the shadow stuff happened. (shrug)

...Notorious

I'm with the others saying that Charlie was avoiding Maxwell, and that Maxwell probably had more power than she did while he was King. Wilson didn't have much power at that point (even if he did, he didn't seem to know how or even want to use it). Charlie was way ahead of him in terms of experience and knowledge of shadow magic.

Also, it could possibly be inferred that Charlie specifically asked Wilson if he wanted off the throne (assuming, through demon logic, that her actions were limited to what the current King wished for at that moment). Maxwell wouldn't fall for that, and he liked his position anyway. That's a bit of a stretch though.

12 minutes ago, The 2C3D said:

Charlie did the opposite, though. They were lit and she extinguished them when she came closer.

She came because the lights were off. They are being extinguished if noone's nearby for long enough.

I recall that charlie does not have an ability to put out lights by herself.

Charlie realized she had to take Wilson off the throne before he started creating things himself because that dude's creativity and curiousity know NO bounds. The stuff he would've come up with would've been more nightmarish than anything Maxwell could ever think of. She took one for the team. 

(I don't know, it never made much sense to me either. There's some good ideas in this thread though.)

5 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

She came because the lights were off. They are being extinguished if noone's nearby for long enough.

I recall that charlie does not have an ability to put out lights by herself.

Stagehand? Clearly her creation...

Nightmare hand? she has a little long arms...

Well, and then there's the fact that even AFTER she became the new Queen, she appears to _also_ still be the night monster!  The actual reason for this? is game mechanics, of course--and yes, it _is_ definitely still Charlie, as Maxwell and Wilson both say something about a "familiar prescence" nowadays, and Winona outright just calls her out.  I guess she feels you can't be sure something will get done right unless you do it yourself..? 

And yes, she IS also the nightmare hands!  At least, I always assumed so...  I've been known to jokingly say things at my screen like "Not NOW, Charlie, not in the mood" (chases hands off) (hands come back)  "F OFF, b, I told you, I'm not in the mood!"  (chases them better)

whosehandsarethose.png.ce5e68dcaf084ecf5fd88bd94edd8d22.png

My own stupid jokes about "Bob the Intern" aside, of course Charlie is still doing her own darknessing.  It's a bit lowering for a queen, but, well, you can't get good help these days.  : P  (And, of course, playing AS Charlie is not at all canon.  It is, however, fun.  ;))

...Notorious

11 hours ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Stagehand? Clearly her creation...

Nightmare hand? she has a little long arms...

The hands kinda existed before charlie on the throne was a thing. Those hands are them, which means that they only have influence in case of low sanity, unlike Charlie. Stagehand cannot come up to fire and extinguish it, it can only protect the cloth from being burnt, so it will stay invisible.

Archived