This game improves my vocabulary!

I love words, and I've learned a surprising number of new words by playing this game, words that even sometimes seemed made-up the first time I read them, but then I checked a dictionary, and they're real! Off the top of my head, words I've learned from Don't Starve Together include:

roseate - adj. rose colored

magmatic - adj. having to do with magma

haberdashery - noun. smaller articles of men's clothing, including hats

And, most recently, in the little ads for the new costumes for the Forge on the DST main menu:

quotidian - adj. commonplace, everyday

I love learning new words this way. :wilson_love:

Has anyone else added any new words to their vocabularies as a result of playing this game?

Forge - Obsidian Quotidian.jpg

Verdant for me. I was watching "Who wants to be a millionaire" the other day and the host was asking what the color Verdant was. I was mentally screaming inside when the guy needed to call his friend over as a lifeline.

It also makes me mentally think of the Spanish word now since I didn't realize Verde came from Verdant.

Another new word I learned from this game is "thurible," which is a container for incense.

Forgot to mention all the Latin I've picked up while playing Don't Starve as well, like codex (book), umbra (shadow), and cyclum (cycle). Who says a game has to be an "educational game" to be educational?

On 11/14/2018 at 10:55 PM, minespatch said:

I was watching "Who wants to be a millionaire" the other day and the host was asking what the color Verdant was. I was mentally screaming inside when the guy needed to call his friend over as a lifeline.

Did he get it right though?

Just remembered an amusing case of vocabulary improvement.

When WX-78 examines the Toadstool cap he says "I MUST KILL IT. IT IS OBSBOLETE." I reported it as a typo and moved on with my life. At some point I found out a Bolete is actually a type of mushroom and that the "typo" was intentional. V2C apparently didn't know this at the time and it got "fixed" in the bug tracker.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/dont-starve-together/wx-78-toadstool_cap-typo-r1977/

In a Klei stream someone mentioned everyone at Klei was teasing Kris because of her vague mushroom puns and I think I may have contributed to that a little bit haha.

In Invisible, Inc. you come across a new dialogue as part of the DLC, Contingency Plan. At that point I thought it was just a made-up and random word, and even the character who hears in the game gives similar confused response, and I didn't give it much thought. Then one day, by chance, I came across this term and its definition. The smirk on my face probably lasted for a whole minute.

Whoever is writing the dialogues for Don't Starve and Invisible, Inc. is a genius.

Honestly, most of the Character Titles improved my vocabulary, like the Un-per-turb-able (Undisturbable), Bereaved (greatly saddened at being deprived by death of a loved one), Affluent (Rich), but there's more that just can't be exactly complied into 1 list

I never heard of the word Hoarfrost until I saw Wilson's snowfallen skin.

hoar·frost
/ˈhôrˌfrôst/
noun
noun: hoar frost; noun: hoarfrost; noun: hoar-frost
  1. a grayish-white crystalline deposit of frozen water vapor formed in clear still weather on vegetation, fences, etc.

On 18. 11. 2018 at 7:21 AM, Mikro said:

Just remembered an amusing case of vocabulary improvement.

When WX-78 examines the Toadstool cap he says "I MUST KILL IT. IT IS OBSBOLETE." I reported it as a typo and moved on with my life. At some point I found out a Bolete is actually a type of mushroom and that the "typo" was intentional. V2C apparently didn't know this at the time and it got "fixed" in the bug tracker.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/klei-bug-tracker/dont-starve-together/wx-78-toadstool_cap-typo-r1977/

In a Klei stream someone mentioned everyone at Klei was teasing Kris because of her vague mushroom puns and I think I may have contributed to that a little bit haha.

but did it get fixed back?

Playing as Wickerbottom and Wendy learnt me myriads of new words, courtesy of them being the most verbose characters in the game. They are quite apropos for those willing to expand their vocabularies.

Hylocereus undatus. (Don't Starve was where i discovered and grew to love dragonfruit both in-game and IRL :D tho i prefer the H. costaricensis variety.)

- Lepidopterous lipids. Though butter isn't from lepidopterans i learned new wods all the same xD

- emulsified

- bezoar

- a ton of scientific names (some of which defy the binomial nomenclature), but i most certainly recall Corvus brachrhynchos.

- rabologist

- i also learned where "Now I have become the destroyer of worlds" originated from by looking at the quote's context.

As a player of this delightful game i love every little detail the devs put into it, esp. the exam quotes which flesh out the characters' personalities.

E S P E C I A L L Y W E S Q U O T E S

Archived