Jump to content

How do you deal with electrolyzer heat?


Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, anosu said:

How do you deal with electrolyzer heat?

SPOMS are a noob trap, and with the amounts of hydrogen you're going to be wanting for late game, you're far better off having a highly inefficient, but high output build - and saving your hydrogen for liquid fuel later :) 

Heres a variation of my build - I've used something like this in my last 3 playthroughs. I normally plumb in more electrolyzers than I need, but the ideal ratio is 2 gas pumps per electrolyzer if you want close to full throughput.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a5aa7d432c7c2934a93d1ac8c79ab8f5.png

image.thumb.png.d19be74bb6bd77ac89b2bff1ae452189.png

image.thumb.png.19838bc494569ae7e1065ccb3625a0e0.png

image.thumb.png.95a91b8207eb80cdd52a2ed2d5753d30.png

image.thumb.png.700cae11e2f0350b58d3e5a976f5113f.png

Heres a slightly old vid, but same principle :

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I usually just build a small insulated room outside of my base. pump the oxygen through pipes to be cooled first (a small pool of cold water is enough) before sending the cold oxygen through insulated pipes until it reaches my base. the base slowly cools over time from the cold oxygen alone, no other cooling methods needed as long as you keep the number of heat producing machines inside your base to a minimum. Usually it's only the cooking grill and 1 battery + hamster wheel inside my main base.

If I find a cool slush geyser I build a reservoir around it and send my gas pipes through that for cooling. I let the water overflow into a second reservoir and that is the water I use for other stuff. (piping into machines etc.)

If you don't have a geyser then just use wheezeworts. There is very simple wheezewort pump you can build that will cool gases very efficiently without using electricity. 
Wheezeworts take in gas from the bottom tile, and expel cold gas from the top tile. So you tile off one half on each side depending on the direction you want the gas to flow. You can build this right next to a single electrolizer and it will suck in the oxygen while the hydrogen floats upwards to a separate room. 

Screenshot:
Just found a random wheezewort on my current map. (started next to a slush geyser so haven't used any in my bases). 
But see the pressure difference, 43kg vs 1kg, if you build in that shape it will continuously push cold gas in this direction.

Nice low tech solution for the early game when you don't want to waste energy on pumps and cooling systems etc. You would need a few of these if your base is big though, oxygen doesn't travel very far. Your dupes can walk through it and get a decor bonus too depending on where you build these.

wheezewort pump.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, anosu said:

How do you deal with electrolyzer heat?

Give us a little more details as there are many ways to cool things depending on where you are at the game and what is available to you.  

2 hours ago, Lifegrow said:

SPOMS are a noob trap, and with the amounts of hydrogen you're going to be wanting for late game, you're far better off having a highly inefficient, but high output build - and saving your hydrogen for liquid fuel later :) 

SPOMs, simple self-sufficient life support systems, are one of the best tools players have to avoid their dupes dying horribly in the early stages. A SPOM is just a Self-Powered Oxygen Module, so its output and efficiency depend on your oxygen build (so efficient high output build would be better than inefficient one.) And once you secure alternative power sources and resources to expand you can easily divert the hydrogen to other purposes and possibly maintain the hydro power gen as backup (some pro players tend to forget the myriad of fun ways **** can hit the fan particularly if you don't savescam)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Cipupec2 said:

SPOMs, simple self-sufficient life support systems, are one of the best tools players have to avoid their dupes dying horribly in the early stages. A SPOM is just a Self-Powered Oxygen Module, so its output and efficiency depend on your oxygen build (so efficient high output build would be better than inefficient one.) And once you secure alternative power sources and resources to expand you can easily divert the hydrogen to other purposes and possibly maintain the hydro power gen as backup (some pro players tend to forget the myriad of fun ways **** can hit the fan particularly if you don't savescam)

Sorry, you seem to have missed the point of what I was saying.

Late game you will need hundreds of kilos of liquid hydrogen. Literally tons of the stuff - so your little SPOM builds that are happily gobbling it all up, will leave you struggling to supply your rockets at 112g/s per electrolyzer.... Theres no such thing as a "little divert" if you've not managed to store up any hydrogen to divert :)

Theres also no such thing as an inefficient electrolyzer setup, only insufficient gas management. Oxygen as ever is a nuisance gas, and has been for a long time now - if you think otherwise I can only assume you've not delved all that far into space exploration/late game. 

I speak to new players and veterans on a daily basis - i'm well aware of myriad of eclectic and wonderful ways people find to kill their bases - however the most common complaints remain as a) heat death, b) starvation. Terrariums are stronger than ever, algae is more plentiful than ever, water is more plentiful than ever. Why would you ever underproduce on hydrogen by bottlenecking with spoms? It makes no sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr.Trueba said:

"SPOMS are a noob trap".

Nice answer.

Anyway, I use 6 ww in a hydrogen chamber between 4 electrolizers and tungsten  metal tiles.

I can generate oxygen for 18 dupes, muy base is around 15°C.

Easy setup. (:

 

It wasn't an answer, it was a statement - and they are. 

Again, the point I made was part of a larger point - it was hinged on the fact that late game you'll be requiring vast amounts of hydrogen if you plan to go to the furthest reaches of space. Building SPOMS instead of over producing and storing your gasses will mean that all of those cycles that you're preparing to venture to space are essentially wasted time where you could have been preparing a hydrogen buffer.

If that doesn't compute, I can't help you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Mr.Trueba said:

"SPOMS are a noob trap".

Nice answer.

It's because he has a narrow minded view on what a self-powered oxygen module looks like. There are dozens of ways it can be set up that has more or less power consumption. Indeed any way you set up electrolyzers in a consistent manor where some of the hydrogen produced is used for power production directly or indirectly could be considered a SPOM.

Although, admittedly he has been using SPOMs in his own life streams for at least a year now so it does imply he is on to something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Saturnus said:

It's because he has a narrow minded view on what a self-powered oxygen module looks like. There are dozens of ways it can be set up that has more or less power consumption. Indeed any way you set up electrolyzers in a consistent manor where some of the hydrogen produced is used for power production directly or indirectly could be considered a SPOM.

Narrow minded view? I've been building "SPOMs" since before the term was coined - however back then we just called them "efficient electrolyzyer builds"... Every electrolyzer build has the potential to be almost self powering with minimal effort whatsoever, add a few mechanical filters and some passive cooling and you've just made a spom. It isn't a science Saturnus, and you know this. Fact is, the time for worrying about minimal energy builds is long gone. We have solar power, steam power for days, and ridiculously easy heat generation coming out of our behinds. Maybe you shouldn't have skipped a few updates bud.

Regardless, I just don't buy into "named" builds as much as you folks do - more often than not they create more hassle than they're worth - just look at the damage the Borg cube caused to the "learner community" when that was nerfed. I still get asked about drip cooling to this day because a certain someone loves to name his (and often other peoples) ideas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

SPOMs were the way to go before Space Industry. There wasn`t much you could do with hydrogen anyway. Maybe use it in cooling setups.

Now that we can use it for rocket engines we need to stockpile a lot of it before building those engines. That said it`s not easy to contain a huge amount fo hydrogen at the time you are building your electrolizers. At least without using the infinite storage exploit. That`s a lot of gas tanks to build.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Lifegrow said:

It wasn't an answer, it was a statement - and they are. 

Again, the point I made was part of a larger point - it was hinged on the fact that late game you'll be requiring vast amounts of hydrogen if you plan to go to the furthest reaches of space. Building SPOMS instead of over producing and storing your gasses will mean that all of those cycles that you're preparing to venture to space are essentially wasted time where you could have been preparing a hydrogen buffer.

If that doesn't compute, I can't help you.

Where do you propose a new player stores all this hydrogen they won't use for 1000+ cycles? The whole point is to get rid of it so you can generate more oxygen. Sure, skim some off for cooling projects but it's not like you can store it all.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Xuhybrid said:

Where do you propose a new player stores all this hydrogen they won't use for 1000+ cycles? The whole point is to get rid of it so you can generate more oxygen. Sure, skim some off for cooling projects but it's not like you need to store it all.

If you're absolutely against "bugs/explots" as most of the community seem to be, and absolutely don't want to use over pressurised vents or door compressor builds - a bank of 20 gas reservoirs would give you a juicy 3tons of stored hydrogen. But, let's face it, thats nowhere near enough - So I came up with a super-secret-special-solution :

Spoiler

I named it the "HMMM" - Hydrogen Massively Monstrous Module 75 x 21 = 1575 tiles, x20kg per tile = 31,500 kg of hydrogen. It's a big room with a vent in the middle. 

image.thumb.png.2f10f01f3bf0ad006d54e533cbf56f1b.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

a1549b8621e83854cda79881ca75a953627840db5ab3cf8c2bd2caa29bac5e7c.jpg.3310e9718a3c84f40523d6535e318adf.jpg

Just a quick question for @Lifegrow while we are on the topic of storing hydrogen early game for making liquid hydrogen late game:

What is the average exchange rate of condensing the hydrogen into liquid on your build from this video?

Assuming a "noob" forgot to store hydrogen then how much would he/she need to produce in order to keep up with this kind of build?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not so much a question of keeping up with the build, rather it's how much you want to explore space.

1 liquid hydrogen tank filled is 900kg per trip - assuming you're going max distance of course.

If you plan to only visit the nearest satellites/asteroids/whatever, then you may never need liquid hydrogen at all.

However, as soon as you slap on a few cargo bays (the heavy module classes) you'll need more and more hydrogen to make up for that additional weight, all of a sudden it's 1800kg per trip, or 2700kg for the furthest reaches of space.

That being said, until Klei pull their finger out and fix the rocket deletion bug on save/load - I don't really advise you bothering with further journeys just yet. If you're unaware, some of the furthest asteroids can be as much as a 30 cycle round trip, and with a late game base that can be hours of continuous play. Assuming you don't need a save/load - or suffer a black hole during that time, your rocket will come home safely - if however your game has to be loaded, only the capsule will return home. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

 

  Hide contents

I named it the "HMMM" - Hydrogen Massively Monstrous Module 75 x 21 = 1575 tiles, x20kg per tile = 31,500 kg of hydrogen. It's a big room with a vent in the middle. 

image.thumb.png.2f10f01f3bf0ad006d54e533cbf56f1b.png

 

Very nice name!
Is it important that the vent is ecactly in the middle?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

It's not so much a question of keeping up with the build, rather it's how much you want to explore space.

xj7tw.jpg.22ba018950f00bc53ac94414455f5c3b.jpg

It is an important question,

For example if your build only liquefies at a rate of 100 grams per second than a single electrolyzer can support it no pre storage required 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

xj7tw.jpg.22ba018950f00bc53ac94414455f5c3b.jpg

I'm feeding mine 1kg/sec constantly - but thats because i'm launching 3 hydrogen rockets constantly - 2 short range, and one 80km.

Wasn't trying to neo-limbo you, i've just not done the math as 1kg/s was more than enough for me, and i've got everything i'll ever need from space now tbh.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lifegrow said:

I'm feeding mine 1kg/sec constantly - but thats because i'm launching 3 hydrogen rockets constantly - 2 short range, and one 80km.

Wasn't trying to neo-limbo you, i've just not done the math as 1kg/s was more than enough for me, and i've got everything i'll ever need from space now tbh.

 

thanks, then pre storing hydrogen is important, I don't want to have to build 10 electrolyzers (Unless my colony has over 80 dupes LOL!)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Neotuck said:

thanks, then pre storing hydrogen is important, I don't want to have to build 10 electrolyzers (Unless my colony has over 80 dupes LOL!)

You could always build one of my patent pending OMMMs for your oxygen....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...