Is there an optimal room or near optimal design for harnessing a cool steam vent?

I cool everything by cool slush geyser, if you have one in your map, that map is good, if you have 2, that map is outstanding.

image.png.800b9a257018a6254c1de93448c3e638.png

If you dont have slush geyser, it better cooling them with thermal aquatuner and a liquid loop, then,  transfer all the heat to PW, and when PW heat enough, use sieve to turn it to 40C water.

Wheezewort  can cool things down, but not fast enough for my colony and farm.

You won't normally need to cool all the water, the electrolyzer can use water at near boiling temperature.

If you want to just make all steam turn to water then make sure your geyser room has pure vacuum in it, have that room connected with a wheezewort hydrogen room through metal tiles or closed doors if you don't have any refined metal. This way whenever the geyser emits steam it will instantly turn into water because of how cold the metal tiles probably are, and whenever it is dormant the wheezes will be cooling those metal tiles to near hydrogen condensation point.

13 minutes ago, Mike072428 said:

You won't normally need to cool all the water, the electrolyzer can use water at near boiling temperature.

If you want to just make all steam turn to water then make sure your geyser room has pure vacuum in it, have that room connected with a wheezewort hydrogen room through metal tiles or closed doors if you don't have any refined metal. This way whenever the geyser emits steam it will instantly turn into water because of how cold the metal tiles probably are, and whenever it is dormant the wheezes will be cooling those metal tiles to near hydrogen condensation point.

That works in the short run,

But in the long run it depends on the output of the vent vs how many wheeze warts you have and when the weezies get too hot they stop working

to your point of "most optimal" it all depends. There are a few variables, like, what is your desired end state, how much storage do you need, and also, what is the vent rate of your geyser.

For instance if you're trying to get your geyser water to just *barely* condense but never overpressure the geyser, well, horizontal room layouts work best. That's for two reasons. The 4-wide neutronium platform restricts how quickly steam can propagate downwards, and so will whatever pool of water you've collected underneath it.

Frankly I don't build a neighboring wheezewort chamber - because you have to over-build your cooler or the steam vent will over-pressure. I.e. you build to the max steam emission rate so that everything condenses, but then, when it's idle the room will keep cooling down. Or, if you keep that from happening (by not letting the pool of condensed water touch your cooler), your wheezeworts will stifle.

I pipe coolant in with carefully adjusted flow control valves instead, switch it on and off with a pressure sensor and a liquid shutoff. But, that system is a bit annoying to set up.

If I have a cool slush geyser I would use something like this. Otherwise whatever you have around until late game when I set up an enclosed loop with an aquatuner.

This is only to condense the steam, not for cooling it down. I use aquatuners for that if necessary. I did create a vacuum in there, you can still see the pump on top. 

The polluted water comes in an insulted abyssalite pipe of my slush geyser and gets pumped out into a sieve if ~<95C.

Image10.thumb.jpg.12a3ffd80308d0f5a9cea66fca90ba27.jpg

Few general question about Cool steam vents. If I have a vent that produce:
Steam: 7.2Kg/s at 110c; for 242s every 732s; in 93.6 cycles out of 140.5 cycles.

1. Does it mean that during eruption it create 1742kgs of steam every 732s (or 1.22 cycles) and on average 1157kg every day? 
2. Cooling vent overpressurize at 5kg, so in closed system I would need to 350 tile wide room ? -- that big!
3. Condensation point is at 99c, how much energy does it take to reduce that much of steam ~11 degrees?
4. Can AETN device handle this and an electrolizer setup?

15 minutes ago, Cipupec2 said:

Few general question about Cool steam vents. If I have a vent that produce:
Steam: 7.2Kg/s at 110c; for 242s every 732s; in 93.6 cycles out of 140.5 cycles.

1. Does it mean that during eruption it create 1742kgs of steam every 732s (or 1.22 cycles) and on average 1157kg every day? 
2. Cooling vent overpressurize at 5kg, so in closed system I would need to 350 tile wide room ? -- that big!
3. Condensation point is at 99c, how much energy does it take to reduce that much of steam ~11 degrees?
4. Can AETN device handle this and an electrolizer setup?

1. it's 7200 g/s while eruption. if you want average number of it do some math like 7200 g/s * 242 s/ 732 s* 93.6 cycle/ 140.5 cycle = 1585.7 g/s.

2. You can have a room size that just fit the vent and couple of tiles below for storing hot water and have rad pipe with pw and run that pipe to cooling room.

3. From this equation Q=mc(T2-T1) while in gas state 110 -> 100 and state change then 100 -> 99 I don't know state change in this game require energy or not but it will be 149760 J + 30105 J = 179865 J.

4.AETN can handle pretty much anything do math if you want or test it yourself.

You might want to check out these handy site

https://onical.ga/

https://www.omnicalculator.com/physics/specific-heat

51 minutes ago, SackMaggie said:

1. it's 7200 g/s while eruption. if you want average number of it do some math like 7200 g/s * 242 s/ 732 s* 93.6 cycle/ 140.5 cycle = 1585.7 g/s.

You can multiply that number by 5.22375 to get the number of wheezeworts in hydrogen you'll need to condense (not cool) all the steam from that geyser.

5.22375 = 1000 (kg -> g) * 4.179 (heat capacity of water) * 15 (110 C steam to 95 C water) / 12,000 (cooling capacity of a single wort).

(Edit) correction; you'd multiply 1.5857 kg/s by 5.22375. Since it's already in g/s, multiply it by 0.00522375

@SackMaggie

1. That exactly the equation I have been using, thank for the confirmation! (the wrong number above, is due to editing confusion)
2. Yes, like in @Mullematsch example above. But I prefer to have big enough buffer for at least day, so that if anything goes wrong (e.g. if you had to move a pipe somewhere) you don't loose precious water.
3. tbh I wasn't sure we could use RL physics here ;) also I am not sure how you got your numbers (according to the game steam heat capacity is 4.179 and its in j/g not j/kg.) 
4.  The math isn't simple here because I am using electrolyzers (which can eat heat) and going to use a steam turbine.. Also I read that AETN is worth about 12 wheezewort, so it can handle a lot but not everything ;)  and I want it to handle both cool steam geyser and the iron volcano

8 hours ago, m4bwav said:

How big should it be to maximally absorb water?

Should it have mechanisms to cool the steam, or should the room be insulated?

Here's two examples for my cycle 2070 base. I've 3 Electrolyzers, 3 rooms with Bristles Blossoms (18 plants on each) and 1 room with sleet wheat (14).

example4.png.4b0e4523f1169086ebca30281b3dc832.pngexample3.png.e6d85808b94bafbd86754442b4e3c162.png

example2.thumb.png.e083d892849b7cfe435e3e25935f39b7.pngexample1.thumb.png.62e6e892a9e0c02c121ab1061dce2eaa.png

You can also storage you water with this high pressure room can contains infinite volume :

example5.thumb.png.9f2be9dc33078b51ab2c195dadf58f4c.png

I don't bother cooling it all.

I enclose around 3/4 of it with abbysalite, and the rest with granite tiles

The granite tiles point away from the direction of my base.

It spreads the heat to the surrounding biome, which a small portion of it only rose in 5C in ~400 cycles.

Even though its close to my base, the heat doesn't come close.

steam.thumb.jpg.454f2f5ee2619d4eccd96805142a44f0.jpg

I pump the hot water straight into my espresso, carbon skimmers and electrolyzers.

Condensing the steam is done naturally with the environment, since its only 10C from liquid state, it happens by itself as long as you don't enclose it completely with abbysalite.

You can see in the picture, that there is always a sufficient amount of water gathered at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Cipupec2 said:

3. tbh I wasn't sure we could use RL physics here ;) also I am not sure how you got your numbers (according to the game steam heat capacity is 4.179 and its in j/g not j/kg.) 

IRL specific heat capacity(c) of water(liquid) at 25C is 4.181.3 in the game it was constant at 4.179

for steam(water in gas state) at 100C is 2.080 in game 4.179 so my calculation is wrong in the game but true IRL and have to note that specific heat capacity IRL not constant but we use constant number for easier to calculate and understand for more accurate use limit in math.

heat capacity is 4.179 and its in j/g not j/kg. don't confuse about unit it was just j/g and j/g *10^-3.

example 4.179 j/g is the same thing with 4179 j/kg and 4179*10^-3 j/g

5 hours ago, Mullematsch said:

If I have a cool slush geyser I would use something like this. Otherwise whatever you have around until late game when I set up an enclosed loop with an aquatuner.

This is only to condense the steam, not for cooling it down. I use aquatuners for that if necessary. I did create a vacuum in there, you can still see the pump on top. 

The polluted water comes in an insulted abyssalite pipe of my slush geyser and gets pumped out into a sieve if ~<95C.

Image10.thumb.jpg.12a3ffd80308d0f5a9cea66fca90ba27.jpg

Same principle here but I'm using radiant pipes that contain the coolant, and a thermosensor to expel it when it's to hot. No need for a pump on site this way.

Geyser.thumb.jpg.58d69674225d50364d9faee55c7ee5d3.jpg

This what I currently have in the works for my lean design. Note: this design only intended to turn steam into water, not cool the water in anyway. 

Spoiler

SGR9GxU.png

1. The cooling chamber will be cooled from my AETN device using radiator setup. 
2. The doors act as an heat exchanger, and will only connect when temp is above condensation point  (need to fine tune the exact number) which will save me energy
3. pipe bellow will start pumping when there is enough to pump.

4. I can also drain here water from my Metal volcano setup after I trigger the emergency shut down.

3 hours ago, Cipupec2 said:

4.  The math isn't simple here because I am using electrolyzers (which can eat heat) and going to use a steam turbine.. Also I read that AETN is worth about 12 wheezewort, so it can handle a lot but not everything ;)  and I want it to handle both cool steam geyser and the iron volcano

Wheezeworts in hydrogen are worth 12kW (a lot less with other gases) and the AETN 80kW, so 6.67 wheezeworts in best conditions.

Whether an AETN can handle a cool steam vent by itself really depends on how powerful the vent is, I usually go with liquid cooling because it's a lot more reliable.

2 hours ago, Djoums said:

Wheezeworts in hydrogen are worth 12kW (a lot less with other gases) and the AETN 80kW, so 6.67 wheezeworts in best conditions.

Except that due to a hack Klei put in, if you run the AETN up to its overheat temperature, it can delete an infinite amount of heat.

18 hours ago, m4bwav said:

I was wondering what the best design of a cool steam vent room is.

Depends on what you need the cooled water for. If it is for elecrtrolyzer you barely need any cooling, if it is for farm it is preffered to precool water...

My vent-room is insulated, holds at least ~20t of water on minimum (for some heat capacity) and ~90t maximum (no real reason for this capacity, I just like to have some storage above the necessary level), I cool my geyser with 70C hydrogen from electrolyzer before feeding said hydrogen to generator. This setup worked for over 600 cycles without maintenance or need for external cooling. Some water surplus will go for oil pump but it won't need much cooling as well.

I dont generally cool mine, I just depressurise & let heat dissipate.

But an easy way would be vacuum + radiant pW pipes. The pW would only cool water to condensing point.

The obvious problem is, The caustic biome cool vent has several wild pinchas, and they need atmosphere to grow.

6 hours ago, Djoums said:

Spoiler

So far I mainly used AETN device and wheezworth to remove heat, whose mechanic lend best toward hydrogen environment due its high heat capacity. But in cooling room, like the example above, wouldn't liquid be much better due to its high mass? if so which liquid would be best for the job one with high heat capacity or high thermal conductivity? 

1 hour ago, Cipupec2 said:

So far I mainly used AETN device and wheezworth to remove heat, whose mechanic lend best toward hydrogen environment due its high heat capacity. But in cooling room, like the example above, wouldn't liquid be much better due to its high mass? if so which liquid would be best for the job one with high heat capacity or high thermal conductivity? 

Pwater is still very good despite the RU nerf to its capacity. Oil and petroleum for a wider temperature range.

You can look at this thread for all the details :

On 06/09/2018 at 10:17 AM, Djoums said:

Same principle here but I'm using radiant pipes that contain the coolant, and a thermosensor to expel it when it's to hot. No need for a pump on site this way.

Can you show the pipe system here? I'm trying to use PO from a slush geyser too for this

Archived