Morb : everything you need to know about it

25 minutes ago, yoakenashi said:

One thing not stated is their temperature: morbs have a Livable Range of 0°C - 150°

Oh is it 0?  I read it was 20c or something.  0 means you can cool the room down enough to kill off all of the slime lung they produce.

Does anyone have any tips on relocating Morbs? It's frustrating me more than anything in ONI at the moment, and I don't know what is at fault. I'm guessing the latest priority system that I grow to dislike more and more with every hour played. Could be a bug though.

Figured it out, finally =) An incubating Pufft was making the dupes think the drop-off point (that Puffts cannot use) was full...

It's also possible to build a simple 3-cycle "timer" using memory circuits for fully automated morb spawning on a fixed schedule.

69F13Gp.jpg?2   

QeTccBX.jpg?1

Each cycle, the clock sensor activates a memory toggle.  Each memory toggle after the first one looks at the previous cycle's toggle in addition to the clock signal and triggers if they're both active.

The important technical point is that the signal delay on the filter gate needs to be longer than the duration of the daily clock signal, so that "tomorrow's" memory toggle doesn't find out that "today's" toggle has been activated until after the daily clock signal has finished.  For the default filter gate time of 5 seconds, anything under ~0.5% or so for the clock duration is fine.

On the morning of the third cycle, the last toggle is triggered and the doors open.  The last filter gate on the bottom determines how long the doors stay open before they close again and the "timer" is reset.

The switch on the end deactivates the spawner by locking the doors open and resetting the circuit and isn't necessary for the spawner to function, or can be replaced by any other switch type (for example: using one that doesn't require dupe interaction, or something to disable the spawner under particular circumstances).

Any number of cycles can be added to use the circuit for other purposes by squeezing more "filter gate + AND gate + memory toggle" assemblies into the middle.  It's not very compact or efficient for ~long~ durations, but it's simple to adjust.

On 7/9/2018 at 11:05 PM, Vim Razz said:

It's also possible to build a simple 3-cycle "timer" using memory circuits for fully automated morb spawning on a fixed schedule.

QeTccBX.jpg?1

You can add another layer of memory circuits that are triggered off of the last filter gate on this one. It'd get you 9 days that way. It's like adding a digit to your sequence. ie another layer would get you 27. Still bulky for big numbers but way better to use only 9 circuits than 27.

On 10/07/2018 at 8:05 AM, Vim Razz said:

69F13Gp.jpg?2   

QeTccBX.jpg?1

Each cycle, the clock sensor activates a memory toggle.  Each memory toggle after the first one looks at the previous cycle's toggle in addition to the clock signal and triggers if they're both active.

The important technical point is that the signal delay on the filter gate needs to be longer than the duration of the daily clock signal, so that "tomorrow's" memory toggle doesn't find out that "today's" toggle has been activated until after the daily clock signal has finished.  For the default filter gate time of 5 seconds, anything under ~0.5% or so for the clock duration is fine.

On the morning of the third cycle, the last toggle is triggered and the doors open.  The last filter gate on the bottom determines how long the doors stay open before they close again and the "timer" is reset.

The switch on the end deactivates the spawner by locking the doors open and resetting the circuit and isn't necessary for the spawner to function, or can be replaced by any other switch type (for example: using one that doesn't require dupe interaction, or something to disable the spawner under particular circumstances).

Any number of cycles can be added to use the circuit for other purposes by squeezing more "filter gate + AND gate + memory toggle" assemblies into the middle.  It's not very compact or efficient for ~long~ durations, but it's simple to adjust.

Great clock, I'll test it in my base. And I added it on the front page.

Umm.. Morbs do NOT seem to care about pressure.  I tried to capture a wild one only to find out that the critter drop-off will not auto wrangle them ( works fine on pufts even though they also say they require traps ), and when my dupes started getting sick from the PO2, I walled it back into the little cave he spawned in, and he's got the pressure in there up to 3-4 kg/tile now.  There's another one on the map in another little cave and he's got the pressure up to like 20-30 kg/tile.

2 hours ago, psusi said:

Umm.. Morbs do NOT seem to care about pressure.  I tried to capture a wild one only to find out that the critter drop-off will not auto wrangle them ( works fine on pufts even though they also say they require traps ), and when my dupes started getting sick from the PO2, I walled it back into the little cave he spawned in, and he's got the pressure in there up to 3-4 kg/tile now.  There's another one on the map in another little cave and he's got the pressure up to like 20-30 kg/tile.

Maybe there is some other lighter gas in that chamber that is staying below the PO2 and is tricking the morb into thinking there isn't much pressure, so it keeps producing O2 while on the tile with that gas?

38 minutes ago, camelot said:

How many morbs could you have in one world? I had around 30 morbs and no more spawned

It's based on the timers and if a morb is spawned and near the existing outhouse.  They'll spawn more 1.5 cycles after a save/reload, or 1.5 cycles if you've moved said morb into another area.

4 hours ago, martosss said:

Maybe there is some other lighter gas in that chamber that is staying below the PO2 and is tricking the morb into thinking there isn't much pressure, so it keeps producing O2 while on the tile with that gas?

Nope, every tile is 6.9 kg of PO2 ( I guess I exaggerated a little on the pressure before, but it is still way high ).

3 hours ago, psusi said:

Nope, every tile is 6.9 kg of PO2 ( I guess I exaggerated a little on the pressure before, but it is still way high ).

Honestly, I haven't played around with Morbs yet, so I'm not an expert in this topic. I asked just because I read other comments of that behavior. But if you can manage to find out how they behave and when they continuously release Polluted oxygen, please do share your findings :) 

15 hours ago, psusi said:

I've checked this and it's still true, Morb don't produce PO2 if the pression is above 1000g. Do you have any screenshots?

image.thumb.png.771270b7fe794c2a3f4844ecceb4d3e6.png

I have 2 more things to add.

1) Here's a picture showing a morb walking around - in the 50-60 seconds I was watching it it crossed the room 2-3 times and didn't release any polluted oxygen, so I must say I believe the general rule about the 1.5kg limit(notice the preasure here is 1.8-1.9kg).

2) I just remembered one more case that could cause high pressure - polluted water!

image.thumb.png.59eb536eac1ef90cb7c3c7b22e7f14f9.png

See the pressure on the other side - 5kg! Why is it so high - the polluted water well! Notice the CO2 just above it - I think it's keeping the pressure low enough in that area so polluted water keeps releasing Polluted Oxygen, and that creates the high pressure.

Now it could have been the case that the Morb in @psusi's case was sitting around such a dirty pond that constantly produces Polluted oxygen. I'm not sure what the pressure limit for polluted water is, if there is one at all, but it might be much higher than the Morb's. Note that Morbs usually live around the caustic biome that also has many polluted water puddles, so finding a Morb next to such a puddle is not a rare coincidence, in fact, I'd say it's what commonly happens.

No PH2O gyser.. just a morb in a tight room, but it is still at the same pressure, so maybe the room just spawned that way.  The other morb in the room with 3.3kg/tile of PO2 I just noticed does have a little pocket of chlorine that may be tricking it into making more PO2.

only 14+ in some tiles in that particular biome chamber. I will try to find where I thought I saw higher numbers.

But for the most part that chamber had 9-10k+ tiles ea. p oxy with that tiny pool of ch at the bottom.

Where I found heavy tiles was across the way. Not the 24k per tile. But there is a few rather stable deep pockets. As the air roils around the density changes, as expected. I think I saw a 23 and change, but I certainly saw a 20.7k tile.

capture_08172018_155549.thumb.jpg.9a7942a65d02777451e124b26190f6a2.jpg

6 hours ago, Technoincubus said:

Is there a way to liquify polluted oxygen to polluted water or otherwise clean it without using deodor.?

When you liquify the polluted oxygen it changes into non polluted liquid oxygen but you don`t get the water back.

If you really want the water from polluted oxygen then you need to feed it to pufts and put the slime in the distiller. You will still lose some mass out of it though.

Archived