[Game Update] - 253894

• Developer
  • Broad retuning of attribute leveling to even out the progress between different attribute types and put them on a new curve
  • New artwork and effects for digging hard rocks, power tinkering, and ore pickup and delivery
  • Refined Conveyor Loader, Conveyor Bridge, and Smart Locker art
  • Previously mastered jobs' perks are correctly loaded from save
  • Sound effects for Power Control Station and Steam Turbine
  • Removed Job-related subpriorities altogether, due to further knock-ons and hard-to-discern Dupe behaviour
  • Fix crash loading some older saves that had jobs assigned
  • Batteries report charge loss
  • Added Smart Battery sound effects
  • Job perks won't apply more than once
  • Updated Disease Sensor artwork
  • Tweaks to battery refill meter behaviour
  • Disease sensor sound effects
  • Jobs now show how many Duplicants have mastered that job in total
  • Shine Bug idle voice is much less frequent
  • Fix crash when Auto-Sweepers try taking medication
  • Fix crash when an item is being repaired and gets destroyed
  • Fix crash when displaying crew portraits
  • Food rotting notification has been downgraded
  • Tweaks to Printing Pod sound effects
  • Fix crash that could be caused by logic-controlled doors
  • Fix details and stats panels showing information from the previously selected entity
  • Lots of tweaks and adjustments to Jobs text and tooltips
  • Turbine now works even if it doesn't have steam above it
  • Auto-Sweepers no longer try to put everything in everything

View full update

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Auto-Sweepers no longer try to put everything in everything

What is that supposed to mean?? Were auto-sweepers trying to put dupes inside of dupes?

Were they trying to put dupes into the storage containers??

CAN THEY SWEEP DEAD DUPES?!?!

CAN THEY PUT AN INCAPACITATED DUPE ON A CONVEYOR BELT, AND THEN DELIVER THEM TO A MED-BAY?!?!?!?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

11 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

What does this mean?

It means that the priorities work exactly like the used to before the preview is my guess. Which is a huge bummer. The 1-5* system was vastly superiour to this and I don't think people complained about it as soon as they understood how it works.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, clickrush said:

It means that the priorities work exactly like the used to before the preview is my guess. Which is a huge bummer. The 1-5* system was vastly superiour to this and I don't think people complained about it as soon as they understood how it works.

So is there even any point to jobs anymore?  Seems like this is now that "conveyor belt" update.

• Like 3

What do you mean by job subpriorities?  Does that mean my farmer won't prioritize farming over other jobs at the same priority? 

EDIT:  Someone talked about it already, but I forgot to reload my page.  oops

Edited by Zarquan

43 minutes ago, withers said:

So is there even any point to jobs anymore?  Seems like this is now that "conveyor belt" update.

I can confirm that it works indeed just like the old system. Jobs have now no effect besides perks and hats. This is a huge bummer! I really liked the way jobs and the 1-5* made organising tasks much more efficient and fun. The last update with the softpriorities in 1-9 was a downgrade to that but at least it meant that micromanaging the task matrix wasn't necessary (besides the "all" column).

The 1-5* not only made organising tasks more efficient but also easier.

Another thing that bothers me is that duplicants don't seem to opt out of sweeping when deselecting the Tidy task. I don't want my whole colony to sweep, I just want it to get done eventually. Now I have to micromanage the priorities and tasks much more again.

• Like 3

I'm super sad about losing the job subpriorities.  Having to enable/disable tasks on a per-dupe basis is literally my least favorite thing in the entire game.  It's a lot of extra clicking, and it's really opaque to see who's disabled without constant trips to the jobs screen.  I loved being able to say "I need more digging right now - swap some dupes over to mining", it felt very natural and it was clear to see what was going on at any given moment.

• Like 4

To all the people griping about priority.

Yeah, there are situations with 1-9 that 1-5* handled better, don't act like 1-5* was great either. You still had situations where if you wanted a task to get done that nobody had a job for, you either had to hat dance or assign a * priority to it and risk messing up people dedicated to their jobs. It's the same kind of fault that people throw around about 1-9 + job subpriority where if you wanted something to get done you had to raise prio on it and anyone might drop what they're doing. The point is, both systems had faults and I think that's why it's just getting scrapped -- for now.

It just seems obvious to me that the devs are just taking out the changes to something tried and tested for the meantime, while they come up with a better system later. Can people hold their horses and expectations until later? There's still a bunch of new content with this update to play around with. Priority will come. We should know this by now, since the devs said as much on the 2-2-18 update:

On 2/2/2018 at 1:13 PM, Ipsquiggle said:

Just a quick note regarding priority: in addition to implementing Duplicant Jobs this update, we also tried to tackle some of the thorny issues of Priority. We felt it was a natural fit that Jobs also affect priority, but we haven’t been happy with the side effects. In particular, it was hard to understand, and now that we've added the ability to retain mastery it didn’t make much sense anymore, so we are going to backburner reviewing priorities for a later update.

• Like 1

What the heck?!?  They added jobs, improved priority tasking, and a couple days later scrapped the whole thing?!?  1-5 didn't fix the priority problem but Job Priorities added a lot.  It removed some of the micromanagement pressure and gave jobs a purpose other than a hat and stat.  Why in the world axe all of this work??  I can understand further improving the system or maybe even overhauling it again down the line, but why void all of this work that they've done? 

I don't understand the problem, it's complicated to understand?  The whole game is complicated, why is this suddenly a bridge too far?  I don't mind waiting for further development but its pretty lame to offer this improvement and then just scrap it all a few days later, especially when the alternative is just lame hats for the sake of stats.

• Like 1

Just now, Xordus said:

What the heck?!?  They added jobs, improved priority tasking, and a couple days later scrapped the whole thing?!?  1-5 didn't fix the priority problem but Job Priorities added a lot.  It removed some of the micromanagement pressure and gave jobs a purpose other than a hat and stat.  Why in the world axe all of this work??  I can understand further improving the system or maybe even overhauling it again down the line, but why void all of this work that they've done? 

I don't understand the problem, it's complicated to understand?  The whole game is complicated, why is this suddenly a bridge too far?  I don't mind waiting for further development but its pretty lame to offer this improvement and then just scrap it all a few days later, especially when the alternative is just lame hats for the sake of stats.

Gotta dumb it down for the masses, wouldn't want people to get turned off by there being not one, but TWO job priority types. 

• Like 1

the <style="research"> tag  is used for jobs strings, shouldn't that be <style="misc"> instead ?

eg in STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.ROLESTATION.EFFECT or STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.ROLEMASTERED.LINE

Also, '\t' is still used in a couple strings (vs. 2*nbsp everywhere else) :
STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.NEWTRAIT.TOOLTIP, STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.RESEARCHCOMPLETE.MESSAGEBODY, STRINGS.UI.DETAILTABS.DETAILS.CONTENTS_DISEASED, STRINGS.UI.DETAILTABS.DETAILS.CONTENTS_ROTTABLE

They appear as '\t' ingame.

9 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Fix crash that could be caused by logic-controlled doors

Never had so many crashes before this bug :o
Thanks ! :p

By the way : Conveyor Receptacle still constantly "running" (like is actually doing something) even if nothing is coming-in from Rails or took off to the Auto-Sweeper... even... without any power in it, looks a bit weird !

9 hours ago, Byste said:

To all the people griping about priority.

Yeah, there are situations with 1-9 that 1-5* handled better, don't act like 1-5* was great either. You still had situations where if you wanted a task to get done that nobody had a job for, you either had to hat dance or assign a * priority to it and risk messing up people dedicated to their jobs. It's the same kind of fault that people throw around about 1-9 + job subpriority where if you wanted something to get done you had to raise prio on it and anyone might drop what they're doing. The point is, both systems had faults and I think that's why it's just getting scrapped -- for now.

It just seems obvious to me that the devs are just taking out the changes to something tried and tested for the meantime, while they come up with a better system later. Can people hold their horses and expectations until later? There's still a bunch of new content with this update to play around with. Priority will come. We should know this by now, since the devs said as much on the 2-2-18 update:

I think the best solution to that would be for Jobs to be more general at first, and then start getting more specific the higher you go (as you get more dupes) You kinda see that with the Engineer line, but you could apply it to others. That way, important tasks that at the moment lie outside of the first jobs most players would assign (like, cleaning the toilet) are still done without having to fiddle with priorities within the first couple of cycles just to get the base to run like normal.

Like for example, have the base builder job also do engineering work, the base Gofer job also prioritize tidy jobs, and the base digger job also does farming. Then when you go up the job list, you can assign a dupe to only do building or engineering, supply or tidy, etc.

Edited by Foefaller

• Developer
9 hours ago, krop said:

the <style="research"> tag  is used for jobs strings, shouldn't that be <style="misc"> instead ?

eg in STRINGS.BUILDINGS.PREFABS.ROLESTATION.EFFECT or STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.ROLEMASTERED.LINE

Also, '\t' is still used in a couple strings (vs. 2*nbsp everywhere else) :
STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.NEWTRAIT.TOOLTIP, STRINGS.MISC.NOTIFICATIONS.RESEARCHCOMPLETE.MESSAGEBODY, STRINGS.UI.DETAILTABS.DETAILS.CONTENTS_DISEASED, STRINGS.UI.DETAILTABS.DETAILS.CONTENTS_ROTTABLE

They appear as '\t' ingame.

Thanks @krop, these should be corrected in the next hotfix.

• Like 2

"Removed Job-related subpriorities altogether, due to further knock-ons and hard-to-discern Dupe behaviour"

This makes me (and presumably most other people) super sad. I know a lot of people are complaining but it is something worth complaining about. Job-related subpriorities was previewed and is what I would consider the best feature added to ONI. Then it seems to have been taken out because a minority couldn't figure it out.

1 hour ago, Coddoy said:

"Removed Job-related subpriorities altogether, due to further knock-ons and hard-to-discern Dupe behaviour"

This makes me (and presumably most other people) super sad. I know a lot of people are complaining but it is something worth complaining about. Job-related subpriorities was previewed and is what I would consider the best feature added to ONI. Then it seems to have been taken out because a minority couldn't figure it out.

I would take polls with a grain of salt. I think the reason they rolled it back was because there were issues with how it worked.

However, I think even with the problems it was working better than the simple 1-9, at least for those of us who don't want to micromanage every single task we assign. Hopefully they'll get it sorted out and put back in soon. I didn't realize how bad the 1-9 system was until I got a taste of the new priorities :)

• Like 1