The concern about new content in multiplayer being segregated from singleplayer

20 minutes ago, Moon64 said:

why even have two different games? 

DST being separate was due to technical issues. If Klei could do it, multiplayer would be bundled with SP. Like it was initially intended. At least that' was the case last I checked.

Keeping content exclusive just for the sake of justifying the price is not any good though. Not every thing has to be ported either, but at least give us the polishing and bug fixes. If they made changes solely to prevent griefing or any other multiplayer-specific issues they can keep them in DST. Like Magiluminescence being refuelable retroactively to all game modes but Ham Bat getting worse over time is only in DLC. Torches setting things on fire on attack, or the Ice Staff losing its stun-on-hit only in SW doesn't make sense though.

1 hour ago, t0panka said:

Can we (who play and care about DST too) get TTA finished first please?

16 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

They have different people working on different things, neither party has to wait.

Most of SW was done by Capy too, including bug fixes. I don't see why you keep bringing this up.

52 minutes ago, t0panka said:

finally DST time to shine.

It's been shining since it was first announced. Only update SP got before Shipwrecked was the on that "fixed" Rockbro overpopulation. And that only because they had the code ready from DST.

53 minutes ago, t0panka said:

Klei never disappoint us

Speak for yourself really. I love Klei as much as everyone else but they're not flawless. And personally I think they should tone it down with the promises when they announce stuff.

I have to agree with what others have said. Having different content for both games is a given thing because you want to give people reasons to play one mode over the other.

However this doesn't mean that SP DS can't get a few of the changes from DST. Things like alternate ressources or even specific changes to characters what enhance the game should not be excluded from one part of the game for the sake of diversity.

TBH exclusive DST stuff should be focused on the main idea of the gamemode aka the multiplayer aspect and heck there is already some of that stuff here with the Ewecus or the DST Dragonfly.

If we want to seperate content then it should be stuff that plays to the strenghts of a given gamemode however quality of life improvements should be something that both gamemodes have and not be exclusive to one or the other(well except DST Woodie he can stay where he is).

19 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

DST being separate was due to technical issues. If Klei could do it, multiplayer would be bundled with SP. Like it was initially intended. At least that' was the case last I checked.

Keeping content exclusive just for the sake of justifying the price is not any good though. Not every thing has to be ported either, but at least give us the polishing and bug fixes. If they made changes solely to prevent griefing or any other multiplayer-specific issues they can keep them in DST. Like Magiluminescence being refuelable retroactively to all game modes but Ham Bat getting worse over time is only in DLC. Torches setting things on fire on attack, or the Ice Staff losing its stun-on-hit only in SW doesn't make sense though.

Most of SW was done by Capy too, including bug fixes. I don't see why you keep bringing this up.

It's been shining since it was first announced. Only update SP got before Shipwrecked was the on that "fixed" Rockbro overpopulation. And that only because they had the code ready from DST.

Speak for yourself really. I love Klei as much as everyone else but they're not flawless. And personally I think they should tone it down with the promises when they announce stuff.

Why are you so salty dude ... tone it down with promises? What did they promised but didnt deliver? If they tone it down we would have ZERO informations about what is coming = is this better how?

SW team is working on porting it to PS4 or whatever platform and of course bug fixes. DST didn't shine at all dude what are you talking about. Importing caves took a lot longer than expected and we didnt have any new features except Ewecus like forever because  (i think) there were too many teams doing other stuff. For example after Invisible inc. was finished some of those people came to DST team and did that cave chester and now they are working on TTA

EDIT:

@Mr.P alternate resources are part of TTA which is dlc FOR dst and it is not even finished dude. This feature is out for like 5 minutes and you want it already in DS? First they need to release TTA properly which is nowhere close to be done and then we can talk about something for DS from DST DLC dude

Twigs/grass/rocks/berries are just first part of alternate resources and Klei is just mainly testing it so its not finished.

Be patient please?

EDIT2:

I see that most of you are talking about only "good" features to be ported :D

1 minute ago, t0panka said:

What did they promised but didn't deliver?

That's a weird question to make considering the reason this thread was made for. Scouting around those Lava Caves has distracted you.

1 minute ago, t0panka said:

DST didn't shine at all dude what are you talking about.

I'm talking about all the focus that went to DST compared to DS.

8 minutes ago, TeoSS69 said:

That's a weird question to make considering the reason this thread was made for. Scouting around those Lava Caves has distracted you.

I'm talking about all the focus that went to DST compared to DS.

Dude you are delusional! DS just got WHOLE DLC and DST got little tiny features like riding beefalo and there is first glance of alternate resources out for 1 week! What focus went to DST? WHAT? 

Their promise about porting some stuff to singleplayer is still here and they didnt say it will take priority because its the lowest priority right now. It will be after we get some real stuff done not BS like few bug fixes that noone cared about that much until DST got them lol

Looks like you wont be satisfied ever since whole new world in SW is still not enough for you and you need few pretty log suits now? This conversation just become unlogical and only weird rant from you :/

EDIT: and im not saying that DST didnt get focus from Klei but it has been waiting for how long? 2 years so we get what DS already had? In this time DST get few tiny features on top of DS content and you have to get them in DS on day 1??? 

Guys! Stop whining. Buy both games, play both, whenever you want in whichever way you want. It is that simple. Play SW when you feel like it; play DST when you feel like it.

I do hope they merge some of the stuff so that we get same mechanics in both games (renewable resources through dragonfly, e.g.). SW is having a heavy bugfix at the moment (I think balancing is almost done by now). DST is getting new content. It is not like Klei has nothing to do and are doing nothing.

p.s.: Would Klei want to expand and hire more programmers?

14 minutes ago, t0panka said:

Dude you are delusional!

Don't get emotional on me now.

14 minutes ago, t0panka said:

What focus went to DST? WHAT? 

You seem to take into account only the last few months. I specifically pointed out that most of their attention went to DST after it was announced. For SW they were approached by a different company to boot.

Your main concern seems to be that you won't get your things if they port things to DS. Considering we already know that they have different people working on things, and majority of the code is already written and is not difficult to implement (as seen with SW), that is a pretty illogical concern.

So we don't want a different mode just for a few things and you don't lose anything from things being brought over. Got anything more to add, or it's just accusations?

18 minutes ago, hyiltiz said:

SW is having a heavy bugfix at the moment (I think balancing is almost done by now).

Sorry, this is slightly off topic, but what makes you sure that this is what's happening? Did I miss an update post? 

I got the impression that SW was abandoned. Klei apparently stopped working on it some weeks ago and Capy seems to have left right after launch. People are still waiting for their CD keys which were announced three weeks ago.

SW is a huge mess of bugs, oversights and half-finished content which is why I personally never want anything from it to appear in DST.

However, DST right now is in my opinion a very polished and balanced product. They really took their time with early access and it was totally worth it. I don't have a problem with exclusive content for multiplayer because this game overtook DS a long time ago.

Just now, Mueck said:

However, DST right now is in my opinion a very polished and balanced product. They reaBHlly took their time wit h early access and it was totally worth it. I don't have a problem with exclusive content for multiplayer because this game overtook DS a long time ago.

You basicly just adressed the elephant on the room. And that is the fact that DST atm feels more polished then the SP component.

This is why this thread exists the fact that currently an alternate gamemode that was never fully planned in the first place basicly replaced the original.

I like to remind people here that when DS was still in development Klei said they want to make the best singleplayer experience and that multiplayer will always be a thing they might consider once DS has reached a satisfying level of quality.

Currently however it feels like it's the opposite. The singleplayer component currently is rough compared to DST so it's not the best SP experience anymore that would be SP DST because a lot of the polish and inprovements never made it to the SP component as of yet.

And to everyone saying "If you want to have the polished stuff just play DST" shut your mouth right now. A lot of us bought DS because it promised a a satisfying and engaging SP experience so why do the people who prefer playing have to either boot up or even buy a whole new game just to have a few quality of life improvements?

This is the problem and that's why we want at least an answer from someone at Klei because otherwise the people who bought this game solely for the SP will feel left out because they don't get the improvements made in DST.

1 hour ago, t0panka said:

Dude you are delusional! DS just got WHOLE DLC and DST got little tiny features like riding beefalo and there is first glance of alternate resources out for 1 week! What focus went to DST? WHAT? 

Their promise about porting some stuff to singleplayer is still here and they didnt say it will take priority because its the lowest priority right now. It will be after we get some real stuff done not BS like few bug fixes that noone cared about that much until DST got them lol

Looks like you wont be satisfied ever since whole new world in SW is still not enough for you and you need few pretty log suits now? This conversation just become unlogical and only weird rant from you :/

EDIT: and im not saying that DST didnt get focus from Klei but it has been waiting for how long? 2 years so we get what DS already had? In this time DST get few tiny features on top of DS content and you have to get them in DS on day 1??? 

Whole new DLC?! Wow! I have reskins with tiny little differences, mechanics which are as tedious and poorly thought out such as the waves, 4 new characters which are waaaaaayy below the league of the Vanilla ones, a lot more useless craftables(does anyone make the limestone suit? Anyone? At all?), lack of content and so many crash bugs that are caused by features! I have to be satisfied now, right?

Compare that to the polished state of DST. When I show SW to friends I have to keep mentioning "there's this bug and this one and this one and this one" and "this is boring and lacking content, just skip this". DST? Other than movement prediction and occasional lags and rare crashes I don't have to notify my friends of any other gamebreaking stuff. 

Don't call SW a whole new world. Don't you dare say that lie. Its a fun little add-on to bring back to your RoG base(remember to constantly backup or you'll lose your save the next few crashes). Its nothing more. It has a tedious with a bit of joy early game, tedious with some interest mid game, and boring late game that even Vanilla had more than it.

1 hour ago, Mueck said:

SW is a huge mess of bugs, oversights and half-finished content which is why I personally never want anything from it to appear in DST.

However, DST right now is in my opinion a very polished and balanced product. They really took their time with early access and it was totally worth it. I don't have a problem with exclusive content for multiplayer because this game overtook DS a long time ago.

This^^

I'll tell you why it feels like it. Capy expriemented for about a year with the engine to get SW(forgot the source) Update 0. The issue was, they didn't solve the most basic issues which guess what, still persist even post launch. DST is in no way perfect, but its been worked on for all of this time, all of these countless updates, fixing little things and some big things, balancing, nerfing, buffing, etc. 

I have to say what I said before wait for it ! Some of DST content will come in DS they said it in their streams that some parts of it will be in DS too (not all of course because some of it will be impossible to beat alone) . As for SW if you want to complain about it do it in SW form I have played it ... It's good , yea volcano has an unfinished feeling to it but everything else is good compare SW seasons to DST seasons and notice how SW seasons are more complex and different ... Damn I even want the flood to be ported in DST (like small floods during spring) and other feature . Should I now start a topic in SW demanding it gets ported to DST ? No ! 

Just wait for it . Its time for DST to get something new ... Not just DS ... It has been 2 years waiting for new content and now everybody want it for DS because SW is not enough ... Ok I get it you want DS to get even bigger but just wait for it to be finished ... To tell the truth now that DST has finally starting getting new content I started playing it again . Before that I was only playing SW because me and my friends already mastered DST . So let it be finished , wait for it and in time some will get to DS too ... We waited 2 years for DST to get new content and now some of you cant wait for unfinished features to get in DS .

And for skins as good as they might be they are just visual ... And their main objective is to be different . Like having 2 Wilsons and you need your Wilson to be different than the other . No point in it begin in DS you cant show it off to your friends/strangers there wont be a second Wilson in your world .

(I don't even want to start with adventure mode that DS has but DST don't)
(Or the state of PVP)

EDIT : Also have you noticed how many ppl complain about the new resource changing (that is set to 0 on default because ppl are having problems with dealing with it) Personally I don't have a problem with it (I play it on normal , 2 changes per year) but there is a reason they set default to 0 because its not even finished (many people want a cure for the disease) .

38 minutes ago, Aquaterion said:

Hmm you do seem to complain that DS doesn't have what DST has, but you didn't complain about DST not having what DS has(SW and stuff).

Probably because we already know the answer to "Is SW gonna come to DST?". "We'd like to but no plans right now."

11 minutes ago, 1v0 said:

Its time for DST to get something new ... Not just DS

DS won't be getting anything new though. Lines of code and art assets are already there in DST. That's why I don''t see why anyone would be opposed to it.

All that's left is someone with a red username popping in and giving us an update.

59 minutes ago, Aquaterion said:

Hmm you do seem to complain that DS doesn't have what DST has, but you didn't complain about DST not having what DS has(SW and stuff).

Oh no! DST doesn't get the completely stale expansion? The horror! The horror!

Though yeah, a few mechanics are less fun in DST(fire farms not being a thing, Willow being worse than Wes even, etc.).

I am kind of sad that DST doesn't

31 minutes ago, 1v0 said:

I have to say what I said before wait for it ! Some of DST content will come in DS they said it in their streams that some parts of it will be in DS too (not all of course because some of it will be impossible to beat alone) . As for SW if you want to complain about it do it in SW form I have played it ... It's good , yea volcano has an unfinished feeling to it but everything else is good compare SW seasons to DST seasons and notice how SW seasons are more complex and different ... Damn I even want the flood to be ported in DST (like small floods during spring) and other feature . Should I now start a topic in SW demanding it gets ported to DST ? No ! 

Just wait for it . Its time for DST to get something new ... Not just DS ... It has been 2 years waiting for new content and now everybody want it for DS because SW is not enough ... Ok I get it you want DS to get even bigger but just wait for it to be finished ... To tell the truth now that DST has finally starting getting new content I started playing it again . Before that I was only playing SW because me and my friends already mastered DST . So let it be finished , wait for it and in time some will get to DS too ... We waited 2 years for DST to get new content and now some of you cant wait for unfinished features to get in DS .

And for skins as good as they might be they are just visual ... And their main objective is to be different . Like having 2 Wilsons and you need your Wilson to be different than the other . No point in it begin in DS you cant show it off to your friends/strangers there wont be a second Wilson in your world .

(I don't even want to start with adventure mode that DS has but DST don't)
(Or the state of PVP)

EDIT : Also have you noticed how many ppl complain about the new resource changing (that is set to 0 on default because ppl are having problems with dealing with it) Personally I don't have a problem with it (I play it on normal , 2 changes per year) but there is a reason they set default to 0 because its not even finished (many people want a cure for the disease) .

More complex...How? You have storms who just get hail and winds as well as rain(when hail does nothing and wind is meh), floods(ok, unique mechanic, ill give you that), a season that's just lesser summer with a new element to replace combustions(new element which is identical to earthquakes function wise), and a season just like autumn. So complex.

And it lacks no content? Look at the ocean. Look at the tiny amount of land biomes. Look at the tiny amount of unique mobs, the joke that Quacken is, the joke that Sealnado is(HE GETS DESTROYED BY ANY MOB THAT CAN FIGHT BACK!), and the joke that Tiger Shark is(Basically Goose Goose level), the lack of late game content beyond coffee, the lack of a reason to hunt whales(aka no reason to access a whole feature of the game), and much more. It can't stand on its own. If merged with a RoG world its enjoyable, but, if you advertise it to be its own unique exprience, and it isn't...Yeah you failed.

14 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Oh no! DST doesn't get the completely stale expansion? The horror! The horror!

Though yeah, a few mechanics are less fun in DST(fire farms not being a thing, Willow being worse than Wes even, etc.).

I am kind of sad that DST doesn't

More complex...How? You have storms who just get hail and winds as well as rain(when hail does nothing and wind is meh), floods(ok, unique mechanic, ill give you that), a season that's just lesser summer with a new element to replace combustions(new element which is identical to earthquakes function wise), and a season just like autumn. So complex.

And it lacks no content? Look at the ocean. Look at the tiny amount of land biomes. Look at the tiny amount of unique mobs, the joke that Quacken is, the joke that Sealnado is(HE GETS DESTROYED BY ANY MOB THAT CAN FIGHT BACK!), and the joke that Tiger Shark is(Basically Goose Goose level), the lack of late game content beyond coffee, the lack of a reason to hunt whales(aka no reason to access a whole feature of the game), and much more. It can't stand on its own. If merged with a RoG world its enjoyable, but, if you advertise it to be its own unique exprience, and it isn't...Yeah you failed.

hail storm = alot of ice , wind and tons of thunder VS just rain . (ok if it is VS winter , winter wins ... I admit that)
Summer uh oh = volcano raining meteors all over the place and you need to dodge VS summer in DST 0 special its like winter but without the season special things there is no dragon fly there is nothing just stay in base all season ...
Flood no need to say anything here
The other season is kinda a free time (time to get ready for the next season) for both games .

I agree about the wind . Nice idea but wasted ... (I would love the wind to be all year and have something more to it ... There is wind every season after all (in real live))

EDIT : Quick note : SW was supposed to be a stand-alone game (facepalm) but we wanted it to be a DLC (not sure if content got cut out because of that) . Also we don't know if they are not going to add more content to it .

Just now, 1v0 said:

hail storm = alot of ice , wind and tons of thunder VS just rain . 
Summer uh oh = volcano raining meteors all over the place and you need to dodge VS summer in DST 0 special its like winter but without the season special things there is no dragon fly there is nothing just stay in base all season ...
Flood no need to say anything here
The other season is kinda a free time (time to get ready for the next season) for both games .

I agree about the wind . Nice idea but wasted ... (I would love the wind to be all year and have something more to it ... There is wind every season after all (in real live))

Thunder and lightning are in RoG too. Ice? Guess what, same. In fact, its even more comfortable to get in RoG than by refining it from hail. Wind is the only unique thing left, and tell me, how complex is it? How many unique properties does it have? Its a discount weather pain, uncontrollable. That's it.

Not all over the place. Around you. Its like earthquakes actually. results in minerals/mobs. Just switch mineral types and mob type, as well as frequency and make it season only, you got the meteors. It has withering just like the RoG summer and RoG summer also has smoldering. I am prefering Dry Season though because unlike Summer in RoG, it has actual good sides(calm ocean. No other season has this) and encourages you to explore unlike RoG Summer which is "spelunk or stay at base". Its not really complex though. Smoldering Vs. a slightly different existing mechanic(Meteors are essentially earthquakes), and all the rest is shared between the two seasons(the ocean is extremley boring and pointless. Its just a more annoying way to get to places, with some mobs only existing there. That's it.).

Floods are annoying, but interesting mechanic in concept.

17 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

Thunder and lightning are in RoG too. Ice? Guess what, same. In fact, its even more comfortable to get in RoG than by refining it from hail. Wind is the only unique thing left, and tell me, how complex is it? How many unique properties does it have? Its a discount weather pain, uncontrollable. That's it.

Not all over the place. Around you. Its like earthquakes actually. results in minerals/mobs. Just switch mineral types and mob type, as well as frequency and make it season only, you got the meteors. It has withering just like the RoG summer and RoG summer also has smoldering. I am prefering Dry Season though because unlike Summer in RoG, it has actual good sides(calm ocean. No other season has this) and encourages you to explore unlike RoG Summer which is "spelunk or stay at base". Its not really complex though. Smoldering Vs. a slightly different existing mechanic(Meteors are essentially earthquakes), and all the rest is shared between the two seasons(the ocean is extremley boring and pointless. Its just a more annoying way to get to places, with some mobs only existing there. That's it.).

Floods are annoying, but interesting mechanic in concept.

Earthquakes is a blunt way to put it but yea . On the other hand earthquakes can't kill you that easy , is not that destructive , they only happen in caves (so you won't meet them until you go in caves) , can't stop them by sacrifice at the alter and don't leave hostile mobs/eggs after them . Also summer in SW because of the earthquake like thing is 100 % more fun , at the moment everybody just skips summer in caves or makes it to short/none because the season has nothing to offer in DST .

Ok the storms is nothing new but the combination of it compared to just a normal rain wins .
Overall SW seasons are better .

My main point in the post above was just wait ... And you will get part of the content DST is getting (or so I think) We waited 2 years after the announce of DST ... I think you can wait 6 months after the launch of SW (hopefully)

2 minutes ago, 1v0 said:

Earthquakes is a blunt way to put it but yea . On the other hand earthquakes can't kill that that easy , is not that destructive , they only happen in caves (so you won't meet them until you go in caves) , can't stop them by sacrifice at the alter and don't leave hostile mobs/eggs after them . Also summer in SW because of the earthquake like thing is 100 % more fun , at the moment everybody just skips summer in caves or makes it to short/none because the season has nothing to offer in DST .

Ok the storms not a lot of new but the combination of it compared to just a normal rain wins .
Over all SW seasons are better .

My main point in the post above was just wait ... And you will get part of the content DST is getting (or so I think) We waited 2 years after the announce of DST ... I think you can wait 6 months after the launch of SW (hopefully)

If you have armor though the meteors cant kill too. They do leave mobs. You just switch the mob type, really. 

The altar is a cool element. I'll give you that.

It does has smoldering and overheating. But it has nothing positive to offer save for cacti flowers, like the singleplayer RoG. Combination of it? Lightning always happens with rains in DST.

How are they better? You have floods(interesting mechanic becoming outright tedious, no positive side), winds(discount, uncontrollable, weather pain), hail(nothing really), and different version of earthquakes.

Summer sucks because it has no upsides. Which is why Dry Season is better, and ironically, the only season in SW with actual upsides. Free coffee, calm ocean, no smoldering, and has a downside which can be countered in a few ways, as well as renews resources.

5 minutes ago, AnonymousKoala said:

If you have armor though the meteors cant kill too. They do leave mobs. You just switch the mob type, really. 

The altar is a cool element. I'll give you that.

It does has smoldering and overheating. But it has nothing positive to offer save for cacti flowers, like the singleplayer RoG. Combination of it? Lightning always happens with rains in DST.

How are they better? You have floods(interesting mechanic becoming outright tedious, no positive side), winds(discount, uncontrollable, weather pain), hail(nothing really), and different version of earthquakes.

Summer sucks because it has no upsides. Which is why Dry Season is better, and ironically, the only season in SW with actual upsides. Free coffee, calm ocean, no smoldering, and has a downside which can be countered in a few ways, as well as renews resources.

Lighting hits more often (like 30-40 times in 1 day) . Summer is not bad just because of that but because of the lack of special thinks in it . The cactus flowers only use is VS summer so ... useless . The smoldering can be stop by the Ice Flingomatic the only thing left in it is just wait for it to pass (we had many topics about in :D ) ... My point in comparing it was that it needs more almost every season in vanilla/DST needs more season special compared to SW . There are also part of ppl that really like SW (personally I prefer ROG as dlc) .

EDIT : Uh it just hit me we have been on a killing spree comparing/talking about SW ... that not the objective of the topic .

• Developer
2 hours ago, TeoSS69 said:

All that's left is someone with a red username popping in and giving us an update.

The update is that we all read threads like this with great attention. Please keep it up (but obviously keep it constructive) and we'll be reading and making plans accordingly (as best we can with the resources that we have). Probably don't expect any early promises that might not come true for a year though *cough* TtA *cough* :) 

1 hour ago, nome said:

Probably don't expect any early promises that might not come true for a year though *cough* TtA *cough* :)

That's more like it :p

But yeah, DS only players certainly like the new shiny (loved the new sound files for reading the Codex Umbra in SW) and the certain fixes that DST got (season length for instance) so if it's of no bother to you guys please bring them over! We're certainly interested.

Nice usernome btw.

4 hours ago, nome said:

The update is that we all read threads like this with great attention. Please keep it up (but obviously keep it constructive) and we'll be reading and making plans accordingly (as best we can with the resources that we have). Probably don't expect any early promises that might not come true for a year though *cough* TtA *cough* :) 

As long as it's being considered then I'm happy with it, I don't care much about when it happens since I'd imagine things are going to get busy as TtA is developed. Features, polish, whatever, there's definitely some stuff in DST that can benefit single player as well. If it has to be down the road though then it's understandable.

I play both DS and DST at the same time. They offer different experience and I am fine with that.

Things like beefalo riding, sure it will be great to have that in DS.

Other things like the DST fire spread mechanism, they don't need to be ported.

Archived