Trade Inn Incoming

Caves without dedicated! So much hype! That will make things worlds easier (heh) for local players who just want to go over LAN, and make using mods easier, too. And we won't need to check which servers have caves, because they all should. Woohoo!

Not too fond of the whole 9 commons for one classy thing, but it's a start at least. Eagerly awaiting the update!

You should just make a market in game like team fortress, instead of market on steam with ******* 15% tax, better for you and for us. Give us your real price for those items.

About 9 spiffy for 1 distiguished, if it will really happen, even for me with lots of items and spiffys, I'm out, does not worth even 5 spiffy for one distinguished, so sorry for people with only 1 spiffy and 100 commons.

Hype for Caves !!

On 2/5/2016 at 1:57 PM, Bigfoot said:

Thanks a ton for everyone's feedback regarding the Trade Inn and our Collection system! Over the last few months we've learned a ton about the item system, both through watching people interact with the system and from great discussion such as this thread. The following is where we're currently at.

First, we're seeing a lot of trading of items, and that's great! However, the value of the items is quite obtuse, and it's creating an arbitrage market. While this is mostly fine, we're seeing a select few people profiting off a lack of general knowledge regarding the value of their items. In order to show everyone what the real value of their items are, we are turning on marketability. This will have side effects such as a volatile market, and it's possible certain items will become far too expensive. We believe the market will level out over time, and players pricing items at extreme prices will find their items not selling. Many of the comments we've received are exactly about these concerns, and I want to assure you we will be watching it carefully and adjusting as we go.

For those who do not want to interact with the market, we're releasing the Trade Inn. Using the Trade Inn, you'll be able to upgrade your items by trading in lower tiered items. In addition, based on feedback, we're making two changes -- you'll be able to upgrade up to Distinguished items (up from Spiffy as previously designed), and every trade-in will have a chance for a bigger upgrade, giving you more chances to get rarer items, including Elegants. 

Both of these changes will go live mid-late next week, with the Trade Inn going into a beta branch to iron out any bugs first. In addition, the team has been working hard on getting Caves to be hosted without a dedicated server, and that should also go live at the same time. 

As with the entire game, we care a lot about the experience of getting items, and this is an evolving system for us. Our goal is to create a system that is interesting to interact with, both individually and as a community, and that is still our primary focus. You can expect that we'll be watching the trades closely, and that we will be regularly releasing new items and features for the foreseeable future.

Thanks a ton for your feedback and support!

Best. Dev. EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

30 minutes ago, Kaio17 said:

You should just make a market in game like team fortress, instead of market on steam with ******* 15% tax, better for you and for us. Give us your real price for those items.

About 9 spiffy for 1 distiguished, if it will really happen, even for me with lots of items and spiffys, I'm out, does not worth even 5 spiffy for one distinguished, so sorry for people with only 1 spiffy and 100 commons.

Hype for Caves !!

Yeah, the 9:1 ratio seems way off to me. I think the devs are just really paranoid about the market being flooded with high-tier skins, and they want to set the exchange rate high just to dip their toes in and see how things go. I predict some problems with that though:

1. If Bobert Waffles the third trades in 9 spiffies for a distinguished right as the trade inn launches, and then they later decide to change the ratio to 5:1 then Mister Waffles will not be too pleased. The devs might feel pressure to remain with whatever their initial ratio is.

2. I wonder how this will effect p2p trades. Will people now demand/expect closer to a 9:1 ratio as opposed to the current rate which is around 2-4:1? 

2 hours ago, Kaio17 said:

Hype for Caves !!

Personally, I really don't want to see a "cash shop" in the game for Don't Starve...

Especially for items that are currently free.

1 minute ago, leonseye said:

Personally, I really don't want to see a "cash shop" in the game for Don't Starve...

Especially for items that are currently free.

I don't wanna see people asking 200,100 dollars for a free item as well on steam market

47 minutes ago, Kaio17 said:

I don't wanna see people asking 200,100 dollars for a free item as well on steam market

Well, that most likely isn't going to happen at those prices anyway, so I think you're safe.

If you want to have a productive discussion, it would probably help if you didn't exaggerate so much.

/shrug

4 hours ago, Arcita said:

Yeah, the 9:1 ratio seems way off to me. I think the devs are just really paranoid about the market being flooded with high-tier skins, and they want to set the exchange rate high just to dip their toes in and see how things go. I predict some problems with that though:

1. If Bobert Waffles the third trades in 9 spiffies for a distinguished right as the trade inn launches, and then they later decide to change the ratio to 5:1 then Mister Waffles will not be too pleased. The devs might feel pressure to remain with whatever their initial ratio is.

2. I wonder how this will effect p2p trades. Will people now demand/expect closer to a 9:1 ratio as opposed to the current rate which is around 2-4:1? 

I'm pretty sure no one at Klei took an economics class in high school/college. It's supply vs. demand, economics 101. The nine to one ratio per tier is insane and will only drive the market price of Distinguished and Elegants even higher. No one is gonna use the Trade Inn if this is the depths they have to reach to get the skins they want. No one is going to be able to afford Distinguished through the Trade Inn, as someone said 729 commons for a Distinguished with a chance at an Elegant is insane and promotes farming (with 16 drops a month at best, it will be approximately 3 years and 9 months to get that many drops). They'll continue trading with each other, and when they can't get what they want, boom flick on the marketplace and let the highest bidder get it.

I thought this was supposed to be a fun little thing, not some unachievable side-market that takes on a life of its own.

39 minutes ago, Sportsman180 said:

as someone said 729 commons for a Distinguished with a chance at an Elegant is insane and promotes farming (with 16 drops a month at best, it will be approximately 3 years and 9 months to get that many drops).

I'm not sure why people keep doing the math w/ the assumption that you will only ever receive Common items from the magical gift fairy in the sky.

That's unrealistic.

28 minutes ago, leonseye said:

I'm not sure why people keep doing the math w/ the assumption that you will only ever receive Common items from the magical gift fairy in the sky.

That's unrealistic.

Welp, my drop rate has been 75% commons, 20% classy, 5% spiffy, 0% distinguished/elegant. Not sure about yours.

4 hours ago, Sportsman180 said:

Welp, my drop rate has been 75% commons, 20% classy, 5% spiffy, 0% distinguished/elegant. Not sure about yours.

That.. doesn't really change what I said at all.  <.<

Not to mention that this "100% common drop rate" assumption also fails to take into account the chance at higher tier items from each trade-in, including Elegant.

It's basically just spouting an almost statistically impossible scenario as though this is what the average player can expect, and that's what I have a problem w/.

However, w/ that said, I certainly don't mind them adjusting these values to be more rewarding to players.  I honestly assumed that they would after the initial announcement, but they may also want to see how it actually plays out once it's live before making any tweaks to the proposed system.

23 hours ago, Arcita said:

I agree. 9:1 seems rather excessive and If it's released like that, I feel that any adjustments won't be as welcome by people who do utilise the Trade Inn immediately. Devs, please consider the 5:1 ratio, as it's more in line with current trades on the Steam forums anyway.

31 minutes ago, RayramAB said:

I agree. 9:1 seems rather excessive and If it's released like that, I feel that any adjustments won't be as welcome by people who do utilise the Trade Inn immediately. Devs, please consider the 5:1 ratio, as it's more in line with current trades on the Steam forums anyway.

You don't have chance to get elegant item trough steam forums trade dude. Also i am doing 6 commons for 1 classy these days.

9:1 seems really reasonable since you can get elegant item for 9 commons. Also Klei said they want to higher up number of drops per week which is even better news. This is really generous from Klei to do that!

1 minute ago, t0panka said:

You don't have chance to get elegant item trough steam forums trade dude. Also i am doing 6 commons for 1 classy these days.

9:1 seems really reasonable since you can get elegant item for 9 commons. Also Klei said they want to higher up number of drops per week which is even better news. This is really generous from Klei to do that!

"every trade-in will have a chance for a bigger upgrade, giving you more chances to get rarer items, including Elegants."

The way he worded it is ambiguous, but I assume he meant a chance at an upgrade to the next tier, so if you're trading classies for a spiffy, there's a chance at a distinguished. This is what the posts that gave rise to this idea advised. If the elegant chance occurs even during common trades, then that'd be pretty crazy and awesome. 

I can see a 9:1 ratio for commons to classies. Commons are pretty much dirt cheap right now. You can barely give them away because most people interested in the skins already have all of the commons. I think the rates should be staggered though as you progress up the tiers. Why is it a flat 9:1 across the board? 9:1 for spiffy to distinguished would be especially detrimental for the reasons I outlined above. 

I think this would be good:

9:1 commons to classy,  7:1 classy to spiffy, 5:1 spiffy to distinguished

These rates are slightly high compared to p2p rates which is good because we have to account for the elegant chance like you say, but I think it's also important not to inflate p2p trades without increasing the drops per week. They did mention at some point that they were thinking of increasing drops/week which makes sense if they're planning to add a lot of new skins. If the drops/week was increased, then the 9:1 rate makes a lot more sense. 

Just a random thought: as far as i can tell you don't pick which item you get when you trade up so it's kinda like a little gachapon for upper tier items. I was wondering if they would also be adding in the ability to trade down in case you don't get the items your after as well as not being able to trade the same tier item for another of that tier.

Just thinking since they will be adding in more skins over time it will dilute the pool and you'll have no idea what your getting from a certain tier that your looking for, or if you will ever have that item pop up. I did see someone mentioned that they would eventually add in more gift skins per week but from present to present but that still doesn't mean that you will receive the new skins eventually if at all. So i was just wondering what was going on with that.

Just a side note. It seems some people think that the new trade in seems to be the be all end all of skins and skin prices. Just because your giving up 9 skins for an upper tier skin in the trade inn doesn't mean other people wouldn't mind trading down if you have something they want. I don't see a need for prices to  go up on skins unless the community feels they need to start squeezing other players for skins to make a profit. Some people just like the game not everyone is here to make a quick buck.

13 hours ago, RayramAB said:

I agree with this guy

19 hours ago, Arcita said:

"every trade-in will have a chance for a bigger upgrade, giving you more chances to get rarer items, including Elegants."

The way he worded it is ambiguous, but I assume he meant a chance at an upgrade to the next tier, so if you're trading classies for a spiffy, there's a chance at a distinguished. This is what the posts that gave rise to this idea advised. If the elegant chance occurs even during common trades, then that'd be pretty crazy and awesome. 

I can see a 9:1 ratio for commons to classies. Commons are pretty much dirt cheap right now. You can barely give them away because most people interested in the skins already have all of the commons. I think the rates should be staggered though as you progress up the tiers. Why is it a flat 9:1 across the board? 9:1 for spiffy to distinguished would be especially detrimental for the reasons I outlined above. 

I think this would be good:

9:1 commons to classy,  7:1 classy to spiffy, 5:1 spiffy to distinguished

These rates are slightly high compared to p2p rates which is good because we have to account for the elegant chance like you say, but I think it's also important not to inflate p2p trades without increasing the drops per week. They did mention at some point that they were thinking of increasing drops/week which makes sense if they're planning to add a lot of new skins. If the drops/week was increased, then the 9:1 rate makes a lot more sense. 

Plz add me and i can trade you 5 spiffies for your whatever distinguished ok?

MAYBE 9:1, 8:1, 7:1 could be ok but i don't have anything against 9:1 if we get more drops ... this is already too good with 5-6 drops per week ... 5:1 is waaaay too good and that rate is not even high compared to trading and also you can get elegant for those spiffies. Trade Inn should be about getting rid of your dupes and that cool chance of getting higher tier item not to replace trading.

20 hours ago, RayramAB said:

If 5:1 is "more in line with current trades" add me and i can trade with you forever .)

Archived