[Game Update] - 529998

• Developer

Changes

• Shadow Duelists changes:
    • Damage absorption gradually becomes less effective for Duelists that aren’t being attacked, and resets once they are hit.
      • This limits the tankiness of a Duelist party against a boss with no AoE, without changing their effectiveness individually or in AoE heavy encounters.
    • Attack speed now scales based on the summoner’s proximity and participation in combat.
      • When the summoner is attacking the same target, Duelists will attack slightly faster than before, and when the summoner is idle, they will be slower.
    • Attack damage now scales based on the summoner’s equipped shadow gear.
      • At the current max attainable level, they will be stronger than before, and with no shadow gear, they will be weaker.
  • Shadow Servants will:
    • No longer impale themselves on Cactus nor Spiky Bushes.
    • No longer try chopping the same burnt tree.
    • Now ignore Flowers, and alive planted Mandrakes entirely.
    • Now work on nearby objects first to stop walking back and forth so much.

Bug Fixes

• Fixed an issue with temperature sources seeping into the pocket dimensional container accessed through the Magician’s Top Hat and other sources.
  • Fixed creature AI resetting unexpectedly when Shadow Duelist phases out or uses dash attack.
  • Fixed spawners like Spider Den not working properly when hit by Shadow Duelist’s dash attack.
  • Fixed being unable to cast spells from the Codex Umbra after reviving.
  • Fixed being able to cast spells from the Codex Umbra as Wonkey.
  • Fixed the book reading animation to not flip the torso around.
  • Fixed missing Wurt strings when reading a couple of Wickerbottom’s books.

Notes to Modders

• TUNING.SHADOWWAXWELL_WORKER_PICKUP_RADIUS_LOCAL has been changed to TUNING.SHADOWWAXWELL_WORKER_WORK_RADIUS_LOCAL to properly reflect the behaviour.

View full update

• Like 43
  • Thanks 4
  • Health 2
  • Sanity 2
  • Big Ups 2
  • GL Happy 1

8 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

Does bone helmet and bone armor be considered as shadow gear? It's known that they don't agro greater gestalts but wonder if these items buff Maxwell or not.

From what I've seen, they don't. 

The duelists deal 20 damage without any boosts now, and the following gear boosts their damage:

- Magician's Top Hat adds +10 damage
- Night Armor adds +20 damage
- Dark Sword adds +10 damage

So you can have 60 damage if you wear all three. (The lunge attack applies a 50% damage boost, so 30 damage per lunge at base level, and 90 damage per lunge at the max level) The items use the same tag as the one Greater Gestalts use, so while I do wish the bone helm and bone armor counted, I definitely don't want them angering those gestalts...

I love this change, though! I'm really glad Maxwell can be such a strong but still engaging character.

Edited by Electroely
  • Like 18
  • Thanks 3

I still think it's a bit too cheap to summon them since they will still be very effective if you're also involved in the fight with night armor and a dark sword. Still a great step in the right direction, and I do like how it takes time for the duelists to taunt the bosses as well as needing to be careful when you're activating the codex since it has a long animation.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, V2C said:

Damage absorption gradually becomes less effective for Duelists that aren’t being attacked, and resets once they are hit.

• This limits the tankiness of a Duelist party against a boss with no AoE, without changing their effectiveness individually or in AoE heavy encounters.

good change but idk how to feel when mechanics of this kind are added. Doesnt feel natural

7 minutes ago, Electroely said:

From what I've seen, they don't. 

so while I do wish the bone helm and bone armor counted, I definitely don't want them angering those gestalts...

Darn that's a bit lame, considering how powerful of shadow like equipment it supposed to be too bad they don't boost Maxwell more like night armor all together. Still this new balance is fine and interesting to make him have a condition to grow more powerful.

I noticed you can now see Maxwell's facial features in his shadow minions. I imagine it's a downside of having them also replicate your head skin, just wanted to let you know of this in case it was not intended/is preventable. The update is amazing by the way. Can't wait for his refresh skin and belongings!

(Assuming I could format this correctly) to the left is current Maxwell and to the right beta Maxwell, notice the outline of his eyes, nose and mouth being visible.

(                         image.pngimage.png

• Like 2
  • Wavey 7
  • Shopcat 1

43 minutes ago, V2C said:
    • Attack speed now scales based on the summoner’s proximity and participation in combat.
      • When the summoner is attacking the same target, Duelists will attack slightly faster than before, and when the summoner is idle, they will be slower.
    • Attack damage now scales based on the summoner’s equipped shadow gear.
      • At the current max attainable level, they will be stronger than before, and with no shadow gear, they will be weaker.

These are cool changes, reminds me a bit of the interaction between Wendy and Abigail. 
I'm still holding out hope they change what the Codex sounds like when you cast magic with it, still feels off that it uses the same sounds as Wicker's books.

Edited by Archswifter
  • Like 5

omg plz revert back to the last patch, the warriors was sooo much more fun before its really the only thing they have good going for maxwell, plz revert it back the 75 HP is the biggest factor for him and he needs the duelists for him to do anything

• Shopcat 1
  • Potato Cup 7