[Game Update] - 529972

The new Shadow Duelist phase in/out animations:

Shadow Duelist - Phasing

Spoiler

waxwell_minion_appear-appear.gif.c2a40c44150c0433cad247248de1a044.gif waxwell_minion_appear-disappear.gif.8da1d1e8e3f80e0951bf4ad0ace8227a.gif

I also missed a few animations the other day:

Shadow Servant / Shadow Duelist - Summoning

Spoiler

waxwell_minion_spawn.gif.11346f32ca3c94d32303a3ecdc3249f9.gif waxwell_minion_spawn.gif.b571576d83ae04de23a3913dd843a9ec.gif

Maxwell with Magician's Top Hat

Spoiler

waxwell_tophat-loop.gif.6debfaeda01b103b64e8f6346c30f6eb.gif

There's also a small bug with Maxwell reading the Codex Umbra where his torso flips horizontally mid animation (frames 6 to 61).  This is most noticeable with non-symmetric clothing like his default skin (see below):

Maxwell reading Codex Umbra

Spoiler

uc?id=1PQ7NfCBtlUopCfPC2S8dXL6QNFmF8DrY

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • GL Happy 1

1 minute ago, Nickolai said:

What if when trying to spam spells/more duelists on low sanity, maxwell gets stunned by the same mind control nightmare effect fuelweaver does to players? And it causes some kind of negative effect like health loss?Engulfed_by_the_shadows.thumb.jpg.b6b86faacaaa5c01d336313c63afa642.jpg

I was thinking the same, some kind of way to make maxwell himself busy to fight alongside his shadows.

Either a stun (which would be kind of terrible) or a 100% chance of getting a terrorbeak (or perhaps some new, even stronger shadow?) to spawn and instantly aggro, until one or two of his shadows die.

That way you can both farm nightmare fuel and deal with enemies.

• Like 5

Interesting things Shadow Servants can pick:
-Roses
-Spiky Bushes
-Cacti
-Archive Ornate Pedestal Gems
-Moonstone (both during and outside the event)
-Ancient Gateway with key
-Carrats
-Glommer's Statue (after mining it of course)
-Tallbird Eggs
-Traps but will keep checking trap unless flipped

Not pickable but Shadow Servants will pick up Life Giving Amulets, that should probably be changed.

25 minutes ago, Cloakingsumo198 said:

What's the capped amount of damage they take.

15 with a max health of 75 still

Edited by Swag Master69
Formatting
  • Like 5

Amazing changes so far but my main concern is that the shadow duelists seem to have gone from being very underwhelming to straight up overpowered. It seems a bit too easy to summon 6 of them and just stand back while deerclops loses like 80% of his hp before needing to summon more. The cost of that is just a few nightmare fuel worth of durability from the codex, and sanity which just regenerates quickly on Maxwell anyway. I think there should be less duelists that you’re allowed to summon or simply reduce their damage output, but that should be an easy fix since it’s just balancing. Maybe the risk of summoning them could be further increased by making you take increased damage from enemies per duelist that is summoned, or instead maybe you’re forced to take a percentage of the damage they take? Thanks for listening to our feedback.

Edited by Kappachinos296
  • Like 3
  • Health 2

2 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Wow, the day I'd see shadow duelist be actually strong and capable, who knew?..

That said, they might be a little too strong right now, I'm not sure if it's intentional to have them beat most bosses in at most 2 castings without much any consequence to Maxwell.

Perhaps they can die more easily (damage cap lessened x0.5), have reduced base damage, or better come with a more pronounced risk like instead of capping from sanity, shadow duelist can cap from your health. You'd lose max 15 HP for every duelist, perhaps down to either 15 or 1, letting you only have 4-5 of them. Currently it seems you're under no risk and can win by doing absolutely nothing.

i think is good that they are this powerfull and they dont need any other nerf, however if there was really a necesity to change them i will make it so so maxy had more risk at summoning them not changing the shadows themselves.

Edited by Malfario
  • Like 3

As a maxwell main (practically mono, I don't like switching to other characters even momentarily through the portal) I have a probably unpopular opinion about duelist changes.
Duelists shouldn't solo bosses at a low cost, I did the tests with the 4 seasonal bosses and dragonfly and I was able to solo the 5 with 0 risk and very cheaply:
Deerclops: 2 nightmare fuel
Moose/Goose: 1 nightmare fuel
Antlion: 3 nightmare fuel
Bearger: 4 nightmare fuel
Dragonfly: 5 nightmare fuel (probably reducing if I played better and didn't let her rage)
On the other hand I thought they got worse when dealing with hordes of mobs because they lost healing and mobs don't usually hit much above the damage limitation in my opinion duelists should be more useful against hordes of mobs and less useful against bosses being just one expensive option to fight bosses but never better than maxwell fighting normally against them (working more like magic projectiles)
My suggestions: Return healing to duelists, remove damage limitation, shield duelists that ignore first incoming atk.
With these changes I believe that duelists would be more in line with what in my opinion they should be, the shield guarantees at least 1 atk against bosses, being able to take more value from them but they would still die quickly and the return of healing in line with the new changes would put the duelists in a good place to face hordes of weaker mobs
Please decrease the book reading animation time to summon servant and duelists now that they are spammed with limited duration time is long, especially when using the duelist in combat.
Shadow servant must have 75 health or be immune to indirect damage.
Shadow Sneak still seems very unhelpful to me (maybe I'm missing something so anyone who knows good ways to use it feel free to talk) and I still think it should be reworked into a completely new spell or swap fear for damage.

Sorry if there are too many errors, I used the translator.

• Like 6
  • Big Ups 2

The shadow duelists are very good right now but not over powered in the slightest. I mean that. I would rather play this character and have fun than play the character and feel like i am completely useless like when i play the new wicker. If this bug fix was the final update I would be over the moon about it.

• Like 5

While the dualists are really really good, they do indeed need a slight tweak to make them not destroy every boss by looking at them. i think the problem is that they are way too easy and cheap to just spam down and sit around. They fully go around the mechanic of the ancient guardian. i have come around to liking that they are locked to an area it makes it so you can leave for a while and they just continue to do whatever.

I was wondering how my duelists didn't insta-die when I was fighting antlion. Summoned 5, one actually survived since we took it down so much quicker (and I'm not discounting the RNG spikes missing it).

Considering I've been using the +35% damage taken on my beta world, I'm extra surprised at the resilience.

Can't wait to try their new harvesting out later, certainly will get me to stop being so lazy about setting up my renewables.

Edited by Quyzbuk

Very great update! But could you please add in future ability to make Maxwell control him shadows? Because for exemple, when I fight with Klaus shadows duelits start smash deers, but not the Klaus, and this is very annoying. Also, this problem happened with shadow servants. For example, if I want that shadows take grass or sticks for me, they will not do this. Because if tree, rock or something else stand close to them, shadow servants firstly will come to them, but not to what I want. Please try to do something with this =[

5 hours ago, JesseB_Klei said:

Flowers will be selected to not be picked in the next hotfix. Please let us know if there are other very undesired things that are now being picked.

Aside from picking, I'd like to have Shadow Miners to avoid mining the Glommer's Statue. It's a shame when they break it by "accident" and you can't repair it. 

• Like 1

the changes got and interesting way, for me now the only thing i probably am asking myself and i wanted an response for klei because this is LORE, and i am more curious about why and not that i want but,

Why cant shadow duellists attack shadow creatures klei??

Great going on the Update, now i think the power lost on the gathering, has shifted on other subjects as pick things, and now finally maxwell can have his puppets figth bosses too

klei smashing the animations as always and gave many players about forge nostalgia

• Like 3