[Game Update] - 529972

4 minutes ago, King Maxwell said:

Yes, it's all connected.

I feel like this needs to be changed / tweaked.

Cause this makes the Magic Box / Hat really risky to use in multiplayer. Magic Hat and Box should be the only ones connected not the Shadow Chester too.

Edited by ALCRD

Shouldnt his spells cost more codex durability? 

Take the cage for example. its in many cases just a better Overcoming Arachnophobia but without needing an advanced station to unlock it or materials to (re)craft it, or the need to deposit it for recharging. 

Instead it costs 15 sanity, less than half of O.arachno, and only 1/5 of a nightmare fuel for ~20 seconds of complete mob immobilisation. 

Not the mention the measly 15 sanity cost is regained for free in less than 3 minutes thanks to Maxwell’s innate tamoshanter. 

Edited by Ohan
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

I feel like this needs to be changed / tweaked.

Cause this makes the Magic Box / Hat really risky to use in multiplayer. Magic Hat and Box should be the only ones connected not the Shadow Chester too.

To make shadow chester you need to put 9 nightmare fuel into regular chester on full moon, which only happens every 20 days, unless you have a Wickerbottom's book or completed the lunar altars. That's a lot of effort for some random griefer who just joined, and long-time players would have no reason to steal from you. You can also just kill shadow chester and it will respawn as normal one. You can also hide the eye bone in some hard to reach place like a corner of a swamp or lunar island. Lastly, the other players can still use the magic box, or join as Maxwell too and use the hat to steal, it's much easier than making a shadow chester. The shadow storage is not intended to be private, removing it from shadow chester will not change anything, except taking away the option for non-Maxwells to use his mechanic of sending resources to base and back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dragonboooorn said:

Before, they were simply pigman like followers with lower health. Now they are actually unique, having good usage and better AI

Pigment can't be summoned for an extremely cheap cost anywhere you are. All that was changed is they're more durable and deal more damage (way too much in both cases). They're still "just pigmen".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Maxwell said:

Just summon 5 duelists, in my tests I didn't face a single shadow creature.

That's why i said if you are very unlucky the nightmare creature spawning barely works sometimes and sometimes it showers you with terror beaks or just don't go till you are capped if that's what you meant

Edited by gamehun20

1 hour ago, gamehun20 said:

Not sure if this is intentional or not but shadows can walk on water, so you can use them to kill crab king or clear out fields of sea weeds and salt formations

image.png

They've always been able to walk on water. It was part of what made Maxwell such a good sailor, the miners can easily clear obstacles and gather salt. Now that they can grab things they're even better, gonna be a lot of fun using them on the ocean.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

That's why i said if you are very unlucky the nightmare creature spawning barely works sometimes and sometimes it showers you with terror beaks or just don't go till you are capped if that's what you meant

5 duelists doesn't reduce your sanity enough to spawn shadow creatures so if you use 5 instead of 6 you won't face any.

I think i have an idea to make the shadows not as spamable but that would probably remove the the cheap factor. What if the puppets cost sanity along side of max sanity like the same amount of sanity that gets locked down or maybe half for example let's say it would cost 10 max sanity then it would cost the 10 sanity then lock it so you actually have to play smart with how much you are spawning

I think the changes to Maxwell in this patch (while it may appear to be too OP.) is actually quite fine.

Every other character who has been reworked has been reworked to benefit a Coop Setting &/Or be a bit better to play as Solo in a game where most mobs had higher health anyway due to the game being Multiplayer.

Wolfgangs annoying fast hunger drain was removed so noobs weren’t a bottomless pit of food disposal, Wes was given some actual useful items so he isn’t just the buttend of a Joke, Wendy gained a cool buff that benefits boosting damage of everyone around her. WARLY got buffs to his food dishes to effect the games mobs he feeds them to, Wormwood got the ability to force his own blooming.

My point? These changes actually seem “on par” with everyone else.

• Like 7

I guess everyone op no one op is still a thing idk it still just feels cheaty to be able to summon 5-6 of these puppets and you are pretty much fine in any situation 

6 minutes ago, Lil K said:

Can anyone pls tell me if shadow sneak can transform flowers into evil flowers???? 

Haven't been able to check the rework yet. 

Not yet i don't think

Edited by gamehun20
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

I think i have an idea to make the shadows not as spamable but that would probably remove the the cheap factor. What if the puppets cost sanity along side of max sanity like the same amount of sanity that gets locked down or maybe half for example let's say it would cost 10 max sanity then it would cost the 10 sanity then lock it so you actually have to play smart with how much you are spawning

In my opinion being spawmable and cheap is the way to go but it got overwhelmed when fighting bosses because of the flex damage reduction.
I gave my idea for changing the shadows a few messages after a read and see if you like it.

4 hours ago, gamehun20 said:

I guess everyone op no one op is still a thing idk it still just feels cheaty to be able to summon 5-6 of these puppets and you are pretty much fine in any situation 

Not yet i don't think

Thanks! I think it would be a great addition, to let Maxwell create Evil Flowers. 

Maybe he could also create Sus Trees? 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I think the changes to Maxwell in this patch (while it may appear to be too OP.) is actually quite fine.

Every other character who has been reworked has been reworked to benefit a Coop Setting &/Or be a bit better to play as Solo in a game where most mobs had higher health anyway due to the game being Multiplayer.

Wolfgangs annoying fast hunger drain was removed so noobs weren’t a bottomless pit of food disposal, Wes was given some actual useful items so he isn’t just the buttend of a Joke, Wendy gained a cool buff that benefits boosting damage of everyone around her. WARLY got buffs to his food dishes to effect the games mobs he feeds them to, Wormwood got the ability to force his own blooming.

My point? These changes actually seem “on par” with everyone else.

Dude.

maxwells shadows can literally tank bearger. “On par” he blows the rest out of the water with his easily spammable moderate to high damage 20% of their health max damage taken small hoard of easily replaced fighters.

i mean short of deerclops, nothing can kill the equivalent of 1.5 nightmare fuel, and deerclops cant even kill a second wave, of which you can have as many as you want

Already looking so much better! Thank you Klei! I like playing Max but he was just so underwhelming compared to others. I was a little sad when they no longer follow you but I can see this update getting better where it'll outweigh that loss.

Maybe the shadow minions can have spikey resist like wormwood's armour. 

Maxwell does seem to start lacking downsides now, perhaps shadow creatures should have a chance to summon for each use (insane or not) similar to wickerbottom's book on 0 sanity. I don't think the minions need anymore nerfing, Maxwell himself needs a new downside to make sure users are more thoughtful before spamming shadows.

Maxwell is finally starting to become a magician/commander type character, anything that makes him feel more control of his shadows and the area they work in will always be a good update.

4 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

Dude.

maxwells shadows can literally tank bearger. “On par” he blows the rest out of the water with his easily spammable moderate to high damage 20% of their health max damage taken small hoard of easily replaced fighters.

i mean short of deerclops, nothing can kill the equivalent of 1.5 nightmare fuel, and deerclops cant even kill a second wave, of which you can have as many as you want

Same could be said for wolfgang with marble armour and a hambat. Or wx with almost 600hp or literal night vision. Wanda makes a joke out of insanity with her clocks

I think it doesnt matter how fast a character can kill a boss, the first season boss doesnt come till day 31 anyway (unless messed with) so you are most likely going to be prepared for any boss.

Although I do think Maxwell himself needs a new nerf, not the shadows. Perhaps a taste of why everything went wrong with Maxwell using the codex in the first place

• Like 1
  • Sanity 1

6 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

. You'd lose max 15 HP for every duelist, perhaps down to either 15 or 1, letting you only have 4-5 of them. Currently it seems you're under no risk and can win by doing absolutely nothing.

will be interesting to add that mechanic. The more shadows the less hp you have. Kinda like the removed but very fun wendy rework. A very good and interesting balance that will compensate such dps+95%damage reduction from night armor without downsided and that can be used by all kind of players (less experience summoning less shadows and more experience trying to reach max damage with max risk)

sad i dont think they will add such mechanic seeing how the forum burned with wendy refresh and wolfgang mightyness loss per hit refresh...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Bunnyash said:

Same could be said for wolfgang with marble armour and a hambat. Or wx with almost 600hp or literal night vision. Wanda makes a joke out of insanity with her clocks

I think it doesnt matter how fast a character can kill a boss, the first season boss doesnt come till day 31 anyway (unless messed with) so you are most likely going to be prepared for any boss.

Although I do think Maxwell himself needs a new nerf, not the shadows. Perhaps a taste of why everything went wrong with Maxwell using the codex in the first place

Yeah. The tank characters themselves in tanky armor can tank hits. A shocker. 

but the problem is his minions SHOULDNT SOLO BOSSES WITH NO RISK

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Copyafriend said:

Yeah. The tank characters themselves in tanky armor can tank hits. A shocker. 

but the problem is his minions SHOULDNT SOLO BOSSES WITH NO RISK

Tanky armour and resources that aren't hard to come by. And I agree, they shouldn't. That's why I said Maxwell needs a new nerf to himself.  Summoning takes a while so if Maxwell gets inturpted by some downside it won't be as spammable.

Just now, Bunnyash said:

Tanky armour and resources that aren't hard to come by. And I agree, they shouldn't. That's why I said Maxwell needs a new nerf to himself.  Summoning takes a while so if Maxwell gets inturpted by some downside it won't be as spammable.

No. Literally not good enough.

maxwell SPAWNS with enough shadows to kill deerclops.

That **** needs a nerf.

Just now, Copyafriend said:

That **** needs a nerf.

Actually you could probably do it twice

My personal suggestions;

• Better targeting; Ive happend to see a Duelist chase after a butterfly, while I was attacked by wasps.
  • Make leap towards foes an Area of Effect attack; I feel its counter intuitive to see the shadow ramming though horde of enemies, with only one adversary being hit.
  • Decrease the intervals beetwen duelist swings; Since duelist are now more aggresive, its weird to see them standing and rethinking thier existance between swings. Of course, a little damage decrease in return seems reasonable.

Overall, keep going guys! I love ya'll!

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

That **** needs a nerf.

Actually you could probably do it twice

Mhmm, spawns with it yes, but can he manage it? I think that's a nerf he needs. A simple cool down might fix this issue, but I think it needs a little more than a cool down. I would love it if Klei made it feel like repeating history for Maxwell. If it's gonna be spammable, it needs a phyiscal costs to Maxwell