Maxwell Refresh Beta Open!

8 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

No he didn't. Before he was there there was still plenty underground. All he did was populate the surface, which he did using the throne. If Wilson was abducted first he could have been the one to do that. The power of world creation is in the throne, not Maxwell.

the throne just boosts magic from what i can under stand as after all why would the people on the throne not just use the throne to send people to the doors and get them off the throne nope wilson in newhome had to make a whole new thing to do that unlike maxwell so wilson perhaps useing magic to boost his "science"  could but the powers maxwell had was from the book from what i know

Edited by slurper gaming
forgot to quote someone

2 minutes ago, slurper gaming said:

the throne just boosts magic from what i can under stand as after all why would the people on the throne not just use the throne to send people to the doors and get them off the throne nope wilson in newhome had to make a whole new thing to do that unlike maxwell so wilson perhaps useing magic to boost his "science"  could but the powers maxwell had was from the book from what i know

I think the throne lets you guide the shadows, but they have their own goals they won't act against. When Maxwell first entered the Constant he was not magical at all and the extent of his tricks were touching the book to pull shadows out of it, so even if it does "amplify your magic" it clearly also teaches you it.

New home is a different company and not canon.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

My point? You can’t base how a character plays on an old now highly outdated comic strip.

A better point? Don't retcon stuff for the sake of retconning stuff.
A show that has major plot inconsistencies and retconning from season 1-27 is not a good show so your point falls flat and just makes it evident why doing so would be a stupid decision

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

image.thumb.png.65725b26beac58b177a493311a49cd8f.png

im all in for having a fun, versatile and strong maxwell but all of the users saying "but max was in the throne" and other excuses needs to re-see the cyclum comic. Max used magic because them wanted not because he really controls the fuel

The argument itself is not as much about the ability to control the fuel, but about possesing the eldritch knowledge They gave him.
From the shorts we know he can cast atleast one spell he can´t cast in the rework

Edited by WebberMain
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WebberMain said:

The argument itself is not as much about the ability to control the fuel, but about possesing the eldritch knowledge They gave him.
From the shorts we know he can cast atleast one spell he can´t cast in the rework

What spell is that? Are you referring to when the shadows themselves chose to enhance Wolfgang to save Maxwell? Because that was before Maxwell had any powers.

Well, it might have been Maxwell casting that. I guess we´ll never know
I just find it silly that he, who was given acces to eldritch knowledge and had the option to study the codex for years can only pull things from his hat, summon pillars, puppets and a weird snare spell that has practically no real use

9 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

What spell is that? Are you referring to when the shadows themselves chose to enhance Wolfgang to save Maxwell? Because that was before Maxwell had any powers.

Since it's harder to farm nightmare fuel without the sword and armor sanity drain (I still like this change btw) it would be nice if there was a way to lose sanity or summon nightmares with no cost. A lot of people want the old floating codex back, so maybe you can set it on the ground and reach in and pull a nightmare creature out of it? You might limit this so it can only happen when the codex is at 0 durability or have a cooldown or something. It would be reminiscent of the video where maxwell and Charlie get pulled into the constant in the first place when Maxwell lost control of the shadow magic. Greifing can be kept to a minimum since Maxwell has to set it on the ground so if he's trying to kill allies in a pub with them someone can just steal his book.

I think we need an RTS game mechanic here, getting orders for shadows to take or where to go. Something like the "Action queue" mod, select the shadows and resources and let them catch or the enemy to attack. As for combat, a function of mirroring maxwell's movement would make them work pretty well in my opinion. A command to kill them all at once would also be interesting to start regaining sanity soon.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

I hope they consider letting shadow duelists teleport and attack from different angles, they’re literally made of the same type of magic as crawling horror, TerrorBeak, Wavey Jones, TerrorClaw.. 

This was the one thing I really really wanted out of a Maxwell rework. :(

I am also hopeful that this will happen
I also find it strange that shadow duelists are not able to attack shadow monsters while bernie, for example, is perfectly capable.

• Like 3
  • Big Ups 1

1 hour ago, Dextops said:

A better point? Don't retcon stuff for the sake of retconning stuff.
A show that has major plot inconsistencies and retconning from season 1-27 is not a good show so your point falls flat and just makes it evident why doing so would be a stupid decision

They’ve already done so.. comic Maxwell- Can’t summon something to help me fight *RUN* Current Reworked Maxwell- I can summon Shadow Pillars to cage my foes in place muwhahahaha!

(Surely you get my point now..? Your comic strips been Retconned already.)

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

They’ve already done so.. comic Maxwell- Can’t summon something to help me fight *RUN* Current Reworked Maxwell- I can summon Shadow Pillars to cage my foes in place muwhahahaha!

That’s different from completely being able to enslave nightmare creatures which he has no effect on and has been shown to have no effect from maxwell.

(Also even if it was a retcon just cause they retcon one thing doesn’t mean they should continue to retcon cause why not)

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

(Surely you get my point now..? Your comic strips been Retconned already.)

The pillars are barely a percent of what King Maxwell could do, simple magic tricks in comparison.

He doesn't have control over the Shadows only capable of manipulating a pile of Fuel that runs out after some time.

As for the change of Dark Sword/Armor for Maxwell it's good but...Wanda also has no sanity drain + damage of those items in middle + old-age and I think Maxwell the "Shadow King" could get some extra benefit like cheaper crafts or more durability

Beta tips:

The 1st Maxwell can live on the crabby hermit island and receive items from the 2nd Maxwell on the main island (via magic top hat)

Shadow Sneak could A) scare broken bishops then uses duellist to overwhelm, B) shadow monkey oven for fuel farm, C) Beard lord's insanity station

Duellist could kill cookie cutters on water then use Harvester to mine and collected salt from distance

Pillars could stop Guardian/Klaus from jumping, Bee Q/Dragonfly can't use mob tackle move, could stop Pirate monkeys from moving, (maybe stop Shadow teleport)

crafting another codex umbra is cheap on fuel then refilling the old one (2 fuel = 50% refill codex ~~> craft a new one = 100% codex)

Farming Meat effigies are good for Maxwell because he can take advantage of ghost-form - force Tree Guards, Spider Queens, Dark Flower Garden, Were Pigs

6 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

wanda has sanity drain in all her ages just that the older she is the less is drained

As she ages, Wanda's mind becomes resistant to the deteriorating effects of equippable Shadow Items. Middle-aged Wanda loses only a third of the normal sanity drain over time, and elderly Wanda none at all, caused by equipping the Night Armor or Dark Sword. (Wiki)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JJ0264 said:

As she ages, Wanda's mind becomes resistant to the deteriorating effects of equippable Shadow Items. Middle-aged Wanda loses only a third of the normal sanity drain over time, and elderly Wanda none at all, caused by equipping the Night Armor or Dark Sword. (Wiki)

mb. maybe im mixing that she loses sanity when is hit while equiped with night armor

2 hours ago, Jestymun said:

Since it's harder to farm nightmare fuel without the sword and armor sanity drain (I still like this change btw) it would be nice if there was a way to lose sanity or summon nightmares with no cost. A lot of people want the old floating codex back, so maybe you can set it on the ground and reach in and pull a nightmare creature out of it? You might limit this so it can only happen when the codex is at 0 durability or have a cooldown or something. It would be reminiscent of the video where maxwell and Charlie get pulled into the constant in the first place when Maxwell lost control of the shadow magic. Greifing can be kept to a minimum since Maxwell has to set it on the ground so if he's trying to kill allies in a pub with them someone can just steal his book.

PSA 

Discovery from discord

" (shoutouts to @Ashley!#9063 for being the first to notice)
regular beardling: 20% beard hair, 40% monster meat, 40% fuel 
forced beardling: 13.3% beard hair, 6.66% monster meat, 80% fuel
beardlord: 2 beard hair, 1 monster meat
forced beardlord: 1 nightmare fuel, 1 beard hair, 1 monster meat
shadow splumonkey: 1 morsel, 1 banana, 1 beard hair, 50% chance nightmare fuel
forced shadow splumonkey: 1 morsel, 1 banana, 1 beard hair, 1 nightmare fuel "

So maxwell can use the shadow sneak spell to farm more nightmare fuel now from force created nightmare creatures

• Thanks 1
  • Happy Hazard 1
  • Big Ups 1

Okay fine, I'm awake! I got to try it first but I like what I'm seeing besides the duelists still being bad. The shared storage with his new items though sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen for either Maxwell or his fellow survivors. I do love how one of his idle animations highlights the fact he still isn't a very good magician without shadows and nightmare fuel :p

I'm more excited for the new short if I'm being honest though. Hopefully we get some actual lore and not just a generic story on why Maxwell can suddenly do more things... He is the most important character in the lore so my expectations are probably higher than the re work itself.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper
  • Like 6

Honestly my first thought was that the duelists are still the same = still bad probably, but 6 is actually a fair amount and im able to reliably take down even a varg without too much trouble. My new main complaint is the casting time, it’s aggravating if you’re tryint to use it for combat

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Copyafriend said:

Honestly my first thought was that the duelists are still the same = still bad probably, but 6 is actually a fair amount and im able to reliably take down even a varg without too much trouble. My new main complaint is the casting time, it’s aggravating if you’re tryint to use it for combat

Use the pillar trap to paralyze enemies and the sneak trap to panic them to buy time to cast all the duelists

The sneak trap doesn't work on bosses but the pillars do

• Thanks 1