Why do tallbirds still exist?

Well my question is simple why do they exist in DST? They are by far the less interesting mob in the game, and right now they are not worth killing, and yeah i know that maxwell created those birds but right now charlie is in charge and she aka klei has changed a lot of stuff since then, so i do believe that they need a quality of life update.

Right now tallbirds are the worst way to get meat, yeah even worst than rabbits, and before you start talking about farms with tallforts you have to remember that the tallfort set is not 100% guaranteed to spawn in new worlds, i have had worlds with only one tallbird nest or even worst with no tallbird nests at all.

So why am i doing this post you could ask, well i actually love ranching in this game, im not really good at crops or leafy meat farms, i prefer to make pens for my animals(beefalos, koalephants, and volt goats), i like to ranch a lot in long term worlds but right now this game miss one thing, ranching chicken. So this is the reason why im making this post. Do any of you remember doydoys?, they were great animals to ranch. I miss this kind of ranching in DST.

So i just want to give some ideas about what to do to tallbirds.

1 Two kinds of wild tallbirds eggs, the blue one that we all know and a pink one. Of course wild tallbirds still gonna lay one egg per nest. 75% for a blue egg and 25% for a pink egg. And wild tallbirds are still gonna kill their offspring just like they do now.

The pink egg is gonna hatch into a domestic male and the blue egg is gonna hatch into a domestic female(only if the player hatches the eggs).

2 You can make a ranch of domestic tallbirds now but you are gonna need at least one male and one female, females are neutral to players while males are agressive to players and others males so you can only have one male per corral. Males can only breed with a max of 4 female tallbirds. Tallbirds are gonna breed only if they are less than 8 tiles away from each other. Males fighting players or others males cant breed until the fight ends and only one male remains.

3 They need food to lay eggs so now players can craft tallbird food bags using 15 cut grass, 10 seeds, 2 potatos and 2 meatballs. Each bag can feed a corral of 5 tallbirds for 15 days.

4 If all 5 tallbirds are in good conditions the females are gonna make a domestic nest after half a day. And they are gonna lay 3 eggs per nest. If there are no eggs in their nests the females are going to wait 1 and half days to lay new eggs.

5 if you dont pick up the eggs in 3 days they are gonna hatch into domestic smallbirds. The domestic smallbirds that hatch inside a domestic nest are gonna turn into adults after 5 days. If there are more than 4 females together they are gonna be unable to lay more eggs.

6 You can kill domestic tallbirds(males and females) using a new craft, the slaughter tools(yep like in the gorge, those events were full of great ideas and concepts), but if you do this during the day the females are gonna run away from you and the animation to kill tallbirds is slow so you are gonna be able to kill just one tallbird during the day, the male cant be killed during the day using slaughter tools(you can still kill it at night), if the male see you killing one female he is gonna enrage. During enrage he is faster, make 100 points of damage instead of 50 and his attack period is faster too making him impossible to be killed without tank. His enrage mode last for 2 days.

7 Domestic tallbirds drop 1 to 3 black feathers, 2 big meats, 2 drumsticks.

Now as you read above i tried to make ranching tallbirds more funny and interesting, but at the end i just wish klei give tallbirds some love one day. They are pretty useless right now, and its sad cause i remember tallbirds to be really good, in the old days of DS they were one of the best ways to get meat since the beefalo bell and using food to get the beefalo far away from the herd are actual stuff. I remember always using tallbirds to not die of hunger during adventure mode(i beat it using wigfrid):willow:

I kinda agree with you.

Yes, they are iconic and creative creatures but they do not worth that much to fight.

They could just drop some black feather or any other special item. 2 meat is not worth for a strong creature and their respawn is another reason that make them not useful as resource.

I don't think everything needs to have a deep meaning or a super utility, we have to take into account that Constant is a place with its own biomes and biodiversity some things are just doing their thing without messing with anyone

9 minutes ago, xhyom said:

I don't think everything needs to have a deep meaning or a super utility, we have to take into account that Constant is a place with its own biomes and biodiversity some things are just doing their thing without messing with anyone

I do agree a little with you, it just that klei have made others mobs better with the passage of time. And its just made me feel sad and nostalgic you know. Yesterday i killed a tallbird, it was my first tallbird killed since the salty dog update.

I understand how you'd find it interesting and consider it a fun, whole rework of those birds, I think it's nice but I'd suppose many would find it too unusual of a mechanism compared to other systems of such, with herds, or more similar yet simple, SW doydoys. But I still like a lot the interest we share as for giving the tallbirds more love, I do find a bunch of critical concerns toward them.

My principal issue is that they are a VERY known mob of the game, but SO niche as for how they generate in the world and that is something that makes no sense to me. We used to have totally unrenewable Catcoon Dens and there was possibilities to have 0 in the world, which happened a lot to one of my friend and I can only assume to others here too. Luckily, with the Year of the Catcoon event that has been changed and improved in a bunch of nifty ways, they can be used to pick up what the picked and stored, they are now respawning after some time, and they finally added at least one required den in the map, which I'm pretty sure wasn't even mentioned in the patchnotes.

With Tallbird Nests, it's the same old deal, but made 10 times worse : they've got ridiculously little chance of spawning and most of the biomes in which they do are totally optional. The only one you're sure to have in your map is a meteor field, so you're barely gonna be able to attempt much with the ones that MIGHT have spawned inside... and joke on you if a wildfire takes care of it.
I can't see a Year of the Tallbird happening so either they remain abandoned in their state, or we get a totally surprise upgrade to their generation method and locations (and maybe bonus features) because I'd sure love to at play around their hostile behaviour in some way.

I'm not sure about ranching. I think their entire hatching mechanic was kind of a jab at ranching in video games. Besides, I don't think people would bother ranching tallbirds unless they produce unique resources with craftables attached to them. Otherwise, it would be another case of sea weeds. "Yeah, they exist. Yes, I can farm them for food. However, there are easier ways to get food, so I wouldn't bother."

I agree that Tallbirds are iconic and deserve some QoL changes like making eggs stackable to be a more viable resource to take with you while exploring. And getting better chance to spawn. I wouldn't be very sad if spider-infested rock biome would be replaced with tallbird-infested rock biome, for example. 

They still have limited uses in the early days (and I literally mean day 1-5). I usually kill them when I play Warly to get early access to eggs and meat for pierogies, bacon and eggs and meaty stew. 

I think they are the last thing making the game cruel and unusual. They are decently strong, give poor loot so it's more beneficial to avoid them then kill them and to raise them is very difficult only for them to forget who you are in adulthood. It's the futility of it all that makes me appreciate them for what they are, so I'd reckon leave a rework to the mod community.

Tallbirds exist to 1 shot Maxwell.

1 hour ago, Karitha said:

I kinda agree with you.

Yes, they are iconic and creative creatures but they do not worth that much to fight.

They could just drop some black feather or any other special item. 2 meat is not worth for a strong creature and their respawn is another reason that make them not useful as resource.

Like RockJaw sharks right?

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Tallbirds exist to 1 shot Maxwell.

Like RockJaw sharks right?

ehhh not really the rockjaws are not iconic and they are there just to annoy the player. Tallbirds used to be the best alternative to beefalos cause tallbirds dont have a herd mentality but right now in DST they are not worth anymore, beefalos, goats and koalephants are so much better.

Because Tallbirds are awesome?

I'd love if some deeper drops or mechanics were given to them but honestly they're fine as is.

I just wish we could propagate their nests somehow for the annoying worlds that only have like 1 or 2 nests across the whole map.

My main long term near 10K day world has a single nest and boy does it suck...

I have another world with the Tallbird fort that I've been meaning to play more because my god the fort is such an epic set piece and can be made into the ULTIMATE meat/food farm.. but I don't want to start over at this point so I'd love to make my own tallbird fort even if it takes a ridiculous amount of resources and time. 

Because they're goofy and weird and pointless, just like all features in the game should be. What's not great about a giant eyeball on legs trying to peck you to death? 

Also they're perfect for hunting early game. If you find a koalaphant near one, just chase it to it's nest and they'll take care of each other.

the ranching is possible considering you can raise tallbird eggs.
It was a mechanic done long ago but was never done deeper.
would be cool if the raised tallbird can make a new nest to make a way to make more tallbirds
either for defense or for meat.

You know a big part of game design is enemies, right? Sometimes that's all an enemy is. An enemy. Not a tool to be used for farming, not a material producer, not a great big & mighty foe, just... an enemy. A hazard. A unique, hostile part of the world. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

They exist to take you by surprise and terrify you when you don't know anything about them. Even now, when I play with new players, there's always the "WHAT IS THAT?! AN EYEBALL STOOD UP AND IS CHASING ME!" line that I hear when they go venturing to the meteor biomes.

They're a fun design and fulfil the only role they really have - Being a basic threat.

There's a few creatures that are just kind of "pointless" or "underpowered" if you gloss over their role of filling out the fauna of the game. Pengulls, Saladmanders, Buzzards, Skittersquids... Everything they drop can be much more easily obtained through whatever means instead of finding/fighting them.

32 minutes ago, Auth said:

You know a big part of game design is enemies, right? Sometimes that's all an enemy is. An enemy. Not a tool to be used for farming, not a material producer, not a great big & mighty foe, just... an enemy. A hazard. A unique, hostile part of the world. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

They exist to take you by surprise and terrify you when you don't know anything about them. Even now, when I play with new players, there's always the "WHAT IS THAT?! AN EYEBALL STOOD UP AND IS CHASING ME!" line that I hear when they go venturing to the meteor biomes.

They're a fun design and fulfil the only role they really have - Being a basic threat.

There's a few creatures that are just kind of "pointless" or "underpowered" if you gloss over their role of filling out the fauna of the game. Pengulls, Saladmanders, Buzzards, Skittersquids... Everything they drop can be much more easily obtained through whatever means instead of finding/fighting them.

A big nonsense, sorry dude but tallbirds are not enemies at all. They count as innocent creatures, they are more like a prey for the player, not an enemy.

They only surprise noob players, and almost everything else can do the same to noobs, and the fact that they surprise noobs is not an excuse for tallbirds to be worthless to kill.

And about your last argument, the true is that all those mobs you mentioned are a lot more worth to kill that tallbirds and they are not even the same kind of mobs lmao, all wrong here, so im gonna explain fast, tallbirds are a type of prey for the player and some Mctusks, they dont have anything else, they just drop meat for the sake of god. Meanwhile pengulls and buzzards are there for annoy the player(they have some good drops and buzzards are really easy to kill even for noobs), skittersquids are there for people who dont want to activate caves so they still can make a lamp(they are an alternative way to obtain a craft ingredient, and since worlds without caves exist their drop is not useless at all). And salamanders are the same(an alternative way to obtain dragonfruit and because there only 2 ways to obtain dragonfruit well you can do the maths if they are worthless to kill or not). cx

16 minutes ago, NekoSoulx said:

A big nonsense, sorry dude but tallbirds are not enemies at all.

I guess I just hallucinated them being hostile on sight and pursuing players to attack. My mistake.
I can see now, that because they're classified as "innocent", that must mean they are defenseless, harmless little punching bags that serve no function to the game or worldbuilding other than being killed and/or farmed by the player.

19 minutes ago, NekoSoulx said:

and the fact that they surprise noobs is not an excuse for tallbirds to be worthless to kill.

You're missing my point. My point was to re-iterate the fact that they are basic enemies and aren't meant to ONLY be looked at as "walking food" from a game design standpoint. With how often they were depicted alongside other monsters in the early days, it's pretty apparent that's how they were meant to be viewed.
Not everything in the game needs to be a 100% viable food/resource farm. Options are great but especially now it's not really needed with the sheer abundance of them. Some more basic threats with basic rewards would be fine, by my book.

26 minutes ago, NekoSoulx said:

Meanwhile pengulls and buzzards are there for annoy the player(they have some good drops and buzzards are really easy to kill even for noobs), skittersquids are there for people who dont want to activate caves so they still can make a lamp(they are an alternative way to obtain a craft ingredient, and since worlds without caves exist their drop is not useless at all). 

My point was that all of their drops can be farmed and obtained en masse with ludicrously easier, faster, and more reliable methods. Which seemed to be your point - Tallbirds were bad for having poor drops compared to alternatives:

29 minutes ago, NekoSoulx said:

tallbirds are a type of prey for the player and some Mctusks, they dont have anything else, they just drop meat for the sake of god.

21 minutes ago, NekoSoulx said:

And salamanders are the same(an alternative way to obtain dragonfruit and because there only 2 ways to obtain dragonfruit well you can do the maths if they are worthless to kill or not). cx

If you're trying to argue that the process of getting 1 dragon fruit from a saladmander (Finding the lunar island, getting to it, crafting a bath bomb, throwing it in a pond that still has a living one, waiting, fighting a 900 HP enemy, beating it) is just as easy and straight forward of a process as farming them (Make a farm tile anywhere, plant a seed, wait, harvest) then I feel you're just stretching to find any reason to blow off my post.

38 minutes ago, Auth said:

I guess I just hallucinated them being hostile on sight and pursuing players to attack. My mistake.
I can see now, that because they're classified as "innocent", that must mean they are defenseless, harmless little punching bags that serve no function to the game or worldbuilding other than being killed and/or farmed by the player.

You're missing my point. My point was to re-iterate the fact that they are basic enemies and aren't meant to ONLY be looked at as "walking food" from a game design standpoint. With how often they were depicted alongside other monsters in the early days, it's pretty apparent that's how they were meant to be viewed.
Not everything in the game needs to be a 100% viable food/resource farm. Options are great but especially now it's not really needed with the sheer abundance of them. Some more basic threats with basic rewards would be fine, by my book.

My point was that all of their drops can be farmed and obtained en masse with ludicrously easier, faster, and more reliable methods. Which seemed to be your point - Tallbirds were bad for having poor drops compared to alternatives:

If you're trying to argue that the process of getting 1 dragon fruit from a saladmander (Finding the lunar island, getting to it, crafting a bath bomb, throwing it in a pond that still has a living one, waiting, fighting a 900 HP enemy, beating it) is just as easy and straight forward of a process as farming them (Make a farm tile anywhere, plant a seed, wait, harvest) then I feel you're just stretching to find any reason to blow off my post.

you missed my whole point which is funny, should tallbirds be just enemies like zelda games and dont drop any loot, just puff into the air when killed like enemies for the sake of bein enemies? of couse they deserve better loot, that was my whole point, just a quality of life update for them.

And i didnt miss your point its just like you and me dont agree on what they are. Tallbirds used to be the best alternative to beefalos for meat in old DS. For me they are still walking food(whats the point of having an enemy just for the sake of bein an enemy in a survival game like dst, tallbirds are not a threat for good, experinced and veterans players, even the noob can just escape), maybe you didnt play the original DS but tallbirds are obviously for meat, they drop meat! gosh.

And again i dont agree with you here, if they are not worth to kill, why would i bother? theres no point in killing tallbirds if they have such a poor loot, its as simple as asking youself: are tallbird worth to kill in early game? nope, cacoons are so much better, they drop meat as well and are a lot easier to kill. Mid game? nope, koalephants and pigs farms exist by this point. Late game? again nope, by this point you are gonna have a lot of meat saved in budling wraps. So as you can see theres no point in killing tallbirds and they are not dangerous to almost any player.

And finally, oh dude you really are asking for it arent ya? i never said or write about salamanders being better than crops at all but its obviously that you dont really know how to play this game in early game. I can talk for experince since i prefer to rush stuff in pub servers instead of playing long term worlds. So now prepare yourself xD. Salamanders are better than crops when you are exploring the sea during early game, i almost always find lunar in day 3 or 5 using a grass boat, and idk if you know this but you can just stay in lunar island since it has all the materials you need for making an alchemy engine, then you can craft some crockpots there and using the salamanders to get really early dragonpies! They are actual a better alternative in early game to crops if not my fault that you dont know how to use them, and btw theres always a set in lunar with a free bathbomb, so you rush lunar salamanders are actually one of the best things. But not only this, oh man you really asked for this, you can use the brain and kill the salamders to get a good amout of dragonfruit pretty early to make a dragonfruit farm with crops in the first 10 days! boom! now your head explodes! xD Yep yep a useless thing. Sorry man but its not my fault if you dont know how to use good/strong early game stuff.

But at the end to resum all: klei please just give tallbird some love. thats all, i dont care about blowing off your post btw xd

Archived