Why is Pierogi so highly praised?

See the title.
Main reason I ask is because it requires meat, egg, vegie, filler for 40 hp. If you base next to a Wobster Den you need 1 wobster, 2 twigs, and 1 ice for 60 healing. Considering the ease of gathering twigs and ice I figured that would be more popular? If it is because of speedrun healing then I can understand considering you don't get a surplus of ice till winter. If spoilage time is an issue, using Tin Fishin' Bins to preserve the wobsters indefinitely and ice in an ice box indefinitely are solutions. Cook up the food before a boss fight and bam easy, cheap and powerful healing.
Just curious pierogi is strong just seems like Wobster Bisque is underrepresented to me.

3 minutes ago, Evelo said:

If you base next to a Wobster Den

Pierogi work anywhere, and you can make it from scraps. Examples:

Morsel + egg (from monster meat) + 2 redcap -> Pierogi
Monster Meat + egg (from monster meat) + redcap + piece of ice -> Pierogi
Frog leg + egg (from frog leg) + kelp + berry-> Pierogi

Many otherwise inedible, not worth eating or useless things that just accumulate naturally can be assembles to be a good healing item.

It's just simple to make. People often don't bother with complex stuff, even if it's (a bit) better, just due to the added work/complexity/requirements.
As you've described, Wobsters have to be farmed/caught, and preserved. Frog legs, Monster meat, etc. just accumulate in frog rains, spider silk farming, hound waves etc.

I think it's because folks find pierogi ingredients more convenient to farm, you have to go out of your way to get wobsters sometimes depending on worldgen, and some players like to bulk produce stacks of pierogi, it might not be so practical to cook up stacks of bisque for healing considering you'd have to fish an absurd amount of wobsters to do that.

I can see Wobster Bisque as useful for a few heals, but not for multiple stacks of healing.

Good healing value, long spoilage, somewhat simple recipe, and bulk-accessibility are what makes it an amazing healing dish. I find myself eating Frozen Banana Daiquiri as of late due to accessibility, average healing, quick eating animation, good spoilage rate, and very simple recipe.

you can easily gather loads of bull kelp stalks in lunar island, plant 'em, then just use (monster) meat for everything else, which accumulates naturally. it also has a 20 day spoil time, so you can easily take it on longer expeditions, something very few other foods can boast.

Pierogi was very ideal for pre-rework Wolfgang. Easy to stack with slow spoilage, so you could stock up before a ruins clear, and high health with just enough hunger stat to keep your mightiness topped off. Food items with higher cost ingredients or higher hunger value felt like a waste, since you had to eat constantly even if you're wasting hunger stats.

Even now, pierogi are still good in any situation where you want healing foods that don't turn stale while you're away from your kitchen.

It's important to remember that Pierogi has been around much longer than Wobster Bisque, so nostalgia likely plays some part. But otherwise? Yeah, no. As has been said, Pierogi is extremely cheap and easy to mass-produce for how much it heals, and how long it lasts. Just dealing with a hound wave gives you half the ingredients you need. And the vegetable requirement can be met with so many different things, it's not even funny.

With that profile pic you should know how great automation and time efficiency is to run a base with a lot of people. Meat is everywhere, production can be automated anywhere and the game will start throwing a lot of them at you in the late game as for the veggies you have cactus, kelp and lichen growing for you to just point and click. But you can do well with any decent recipe if you invest your playtime into them

1 hour ago, Sweaper said:

With that profile pic you should know how great automation and time efficiency is to run a base with a lot of people. Meat is everywhere, production can be automated anywhere and the game will start throwing a lot of them at you in the late game as for the veggies you have cactus, kelp and lichen growing for you to just point and click. But you can do well with any decent recipe if you invest your playtime into them

Yeah, I mean sure it's not hard to catch a wobster if one is nearby your kitchen, but why bother when you have monster meat slowly rotting in your saltboxes, and multiple bundlewraps of tomatoes at your farm? I simply have too much meat and veggies at my base that I can't eat fast enough.

Ever since the Reap what you Sow farming update, we were allowed to feed birds raw monster meat (which prevents the stupid hassle of cooking it) for easy eggs. You can cook it easily through 1 monster meat, 1 egg, and 2 mushies, easy recipe!
Pierogi is a super easy early game healer, as it requires only the most abundant of resources, if you get mushrooms from the caves at least

I use trail mix. Super easy to get in mass, fast cook time, fast eating animation, last along time and available day 1. I'm already farming wood for chests etc. when I'm setting up base so I wrap the extra  Birchnuts to last till next fall

Haven't bothered with perogie in a long time

Archived