Wortox is not op.

Let the new changes stay. His kit was incredibly weak and i barely ever soul hopped and i was always insane which annoyed me to death this changes actually makes him playable and strong compared to other charecters so klei i beg let it stay and people, instead of judging him by just reading changlogs actually play him first and youll realize its not that op and these changes were needed. 

Sorry for ranting but it needed to be said.

I wouldn't worry too much, people have been mentioning how much power Wortox has lost since he was released for quite a while now. When he was first released the overall sentiment was that he was pretty damn strong but several updates and new characters have rendered him far less useful now. He certainly doesn't compare to Wolfgang, Wicker, Wigfrid or Wendy. 

The whole monster downside is way worse than most people give credit for as well. Bunnyman and Pigman farms and setups are incredibly strong and the vast majority of these are just a no go altogether for the monster characters. Also no Catcoon Pens which is rough for me because I love those little furry demons. 

I'd be shocked if Wortox loses his new abilities considering how long people have wanted him to receive some minor changes to buff him a bit. Also lots of people are sick of Wanda being the only one who can teleport around the map at will and while I would have liked to see more options for all characters giving Wortox a similar ability/mechanic is a great step in the right direction. 

1 minute ago, . . . said:

just my opinion but wortox is op and now even more op, con of getting half stats from food is not really a con at all when you are basically invincible

He pales in comparision to the Big Three and Wendy as well. He also has the monster downside and gets punished if he tries to hold too many souls.

He is a great support character but by no means OP.

11 minutes ago, GelatinousCube said:

I'd be shocked if Wortox loses his new abilities considering how long people have wanted him to receive some minor changes to buff him a bit. Also lots of people are sick of Wanda being the only one who can teleport around the map at will and while I would have liked to see more options for all characters giving Wortox a similar ability/mechanic is a great step in the right direction. 

As a Wanda main I 100 percent agree. The ability to teleport to base without Telelocator. shouldn't be restricted to only a few characters IMO. 

The only equalizer is if we could get telelocator staff/focus to have similar mechanic to wortox then I'd be greatly satisfied. Other than that Wortox def better than how he was before and that's I think is a positive change. At least dealing with hunger and sanity for him when eating souls won't be as annoying as before.

1 hour ago, bagherthegamer said:

Let the new changes stay. His kit was incredibly weak and i barely ever soul hopped and i was always insane which annoyed me to death this changes actually makes him playable and strong compared to other charecters so klei i beg let it stay and people, instead of judging him by just reading changlogs actually play him first and youll realize its not that op and these changes were needed. 

Sorry for ranting but it needed to be said.

Wortox is op its my objective opinion anyone who disagrees is wrong.

I can fight most mobs/bosses as Wortox without even needing body armor or healing items that’s just an example of how OP he truly is- and the reason why is you can have like 20 souls + carry a stack of mobs to kill for additional souls… and NOW you gain sanity while healing yourself with those souls- to top that off.. if a fight is going poorly you can now teleport across the map, heal in another area and teleport back into the fight (if playing with a group where the boss doesn’t unload and recover HP)

What y’all need to do is stop saying Wortox isn’t OP when clearly he is… but it’s OKAY for some characters to be OP..

And realistically the only things I can think of to “Nerf” his new found OP buffs would be to- 

1- just like Wolfgang needing to be near other players to recover more sanity, Wortox needs to heal more than just himself to recover more Sanity.

2- Having the power to travel to any explored location on the map can maybe have a few seconds of vulnerability to taking damage while you “wind up” for the long ranged teleport- Example: To Run as Wonkey requires about 4 seconds of Walking in a direction before the run will trigger.

Those are the only “Nerfs” I would give the new powers.. but- a character who can heal the entire server if they’re near them when they drop souls is most certainly nothing to discredit.. and NOW his role is quite literally Field Medic..

He can now teleport directly to a injured player a billion miles away who has sent up a flare for help, heal them up and then teleport back to doing his own thing.. all it takes is Souls to do so and that’s as easy as punching a few butterflies or bundling stackable mobs for murdering later.

17 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

if a fight is going poorly you can now teleport across the map, heal in another area and teleport back into the fight (if playing with a group where the boss doesn’t unload and recover HP)

If you're in a group you can just walk away and heal. Or heal in place. Both of which are safer and without additional teleport cost. 

I love how wortox is overpowered and yet no one ever says the same about Wanda Wolfgang Wendy Wx78 Wigfrid or literally half the cast at this point. 

I wonder how much people actually played wortox and came to this conclusion or just watched the WORTOX IS OP from a few years ago made by an unspecified individual 

15 hours ago, . . . said:

just my opinion but wortox is op and now even more op, con of getting half stats from food is not really a con at all when you are basically invincible

That's the point of DST character design. The perks counter the drawbacks. Wigfrid can only eat meat, but she can get meat easier due to her fighting abilities. Wendy is weaker but Abigail can fight for her. Pigs and Bunnymen hate Webber but a bigger faction of mobs is neutral to him. WX has lower stats but can be updated with circuits. And so on. 

12 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

2- Having the power to travel to any explored location on the map can maybe have a few seconds of vulnerability to taking damage while you “wind up” for the long ranged teleport- Example: To Run as Wonkey requires about 4 seconds of Walking in a direction before the run will trigger.

I never considered the Wortox buffs to be too powerful but you made a few good points I hadn't considered. I really really like this suggestion for the wind up. Great idea!

Wortox was only ever weak if you evaluate the character from a strictly solo perspective, which isn't what DST was built around. There are many ways to manage his sanity, but regardless of that the issues being raised are exclusively about a single ability that is outright broken right off the bat instead of being something that the character has to build up to. Wanda absolutely is very powerful and I don't think anyone questions that, but she has to work to be that powerful. I'm all for adding new abilities to Wortox if they aren't entirely about trivializing a lot of the content of the game, and give the character something to build up to instead.

Hot take: If you think Wortox is broken, you probably can't kite either. Don't wear armor, and have never eaten a healing food in your life.

Spoiler

If you're offended by this, then it's you.

Wortox is very strong for beginners, which I don't have a problem with. At the same time they die to pigs easily so it evens out.

24 minutes ago, Flutterby said:

Wortox was only ever weak if you evaluate the character from a strictly solo perspective, which isn't what DST was built around.

But it is the basis of how characters are judged for a good reason you won't always have someone near you even when playing with others unless you chain someone to you for example Wormwood and Warly needing alternative healing and Walter going insane from damage are non issues if you have people to compensate them. Wes dealing less damage means nothing if you have several people fighting alongside him and so on.

But even if you ignore that what does wortox offer before these new upgrades? Non perishable healing? What about bundling wraps or long lasting healing dishes they stack higher.

Normal teleports? Lazy explorer exists, boats can he used to bridge gaps in the land and even then souls took time to gather that could he used to travel where you wanted to go.

37 minutes ago, Flutterby said:

the issues being raised are exclusively about a single ability that is outright broken right off the bat instead of being something that the character has to build up to. Wanda absolutely is very powerful and I don't think anyone questions that, but she has to work to be that powerful. I'm all for adding new abilities to Wortox if they aren't entirely about trivializing a lot of the content of the game, and give the character something to build up to instead.

The key difference is Wortox has to actively fuel his teleporting while Wanda's passively refuels itself which is a major difference Wanda is able to save time doing other things or continuously teleport around the map and do other things while Wortox on the other hand would have to capture a lot of small creatures to try and mimmick this to the same degree does Wanda have to work harder for her teleporting yes but afterwards she has the more effective version while having other really powerful abilities people tend to only think in terms of the early game.

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I can fight most mobs/bosses as Wortox without even needing body armor or healing items that’s just an example of how OP he truly is- and the reason why is you can have like 20 souls + carry a stack of mobs to kill for additional souls… and NOW you gain sanity while healing yourself with those souls- to top that off.. if a fight is going poorly you can now teleport across the map, heal in another area and teleport back into the fight (if playing with a group where the boss doesn’t unload and recover HP)

A bit of an over-exaggeration there. Wolfgang, Wanda, and Wigfrid are still better at soloing bosses, regardless of whether or not Wortox has cross-map soul hop (lol?) or reduced sanity loss or whatever. Plus, what you've just described as OP is basically what WX can do already: Just stack speed and health modules to zoom around the fight and spam gears for health and sanity.

17 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

1- just like Wolfgang needing to be near other players to recover more sanity, Wortox needs to heal more than just himself to recover more Sanity.

I agree with these "nerfs", recovering more sanity for healing more people makes sense. I personally wouldn't mind having a wind up for map teleportation as well. Although I would question your argument about running away to a random location on the map considering you can already do this by simply right clicking the corner of the screen twice. You establish enough of a distance to heal yourself plenty, no need to map travel. Plus with certain bosses like the dragonfly this would be counter intuitive.

21 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

snip.

If wortox is 'OP' then Wanda is EXTREMELY OP and should get removed from the game, if wortox is op then the new wolfgang is OP, wendy is OP, WX is OP and warly is ALSO OP AND THEY ALL SHOULD BE REMOVED!
No, Wortox is not 'OP'.

forgot wigfrid who can live off of the live steal without eating :) so OP

Wortox have strong upsides and strong downsides. But they give him a special role in team, they don't make him "win the game".
He is not faster in gathering wood/rocks - might go to place faster, if he wants to waste souls, but he will spent on chopping much longer than Maxwell, Woodie or Mighty Wolfgang. Warly ofc can share spieces.
He is not more consisntent at kiting - here comes blooming Wormwood and WX if use their perma speed boost. Kiting via souls is expensive and limited, even with bees or butterflies in inventory and require quite managing. Dunno how works Wanda, but looks to me as well like lots of managing. Same goes for gathering - no one is going to waste souls to hop from stick to stick.
He is not going to be better farmer - Wormwood, Wicker, music box WX will outclass him.
He is not going to do any extra damage - Wigfrid, Mighty Wolfgang, Wanda are going to do main job. Warly ofc can share spieces.
He cannot setup typical farms with bunnymen or pigs - hardly can count on their help, with bigger chance to be attacked first than hounds or anything else.
On top of that he is going to waste a more time on eating and cooking than any other character (37,5 hunger and 20 health from dragon pie? Brrrr...) or go insane from eating souls (which can be a problem. 4 Terrorbeaks is a problem. You cannot escape them. And best sanity foods give you like 25 sanity if you can afford these).
He only what he got, is soul hop and group healing. Now he can access to teleportation (which is again not cheap - you might waste more time on gathering souls needed for hop, than by going by foot), which was only Wanda thing and hopefully is a first or another step for teleportation for other characters.

Archived