Let's say hypothetically that I needed meter ideas and you, for the sake of the argument, have those ideas. Would it not be in the best interest for the both of us for you, to share to me your idea.

I accept all meter ideas, though I do wish they did at least two of the following things:

Introduced a mechanic. (Surely I don't need to explain this to you).

Kept track of something. (Like a disappointment meter, it kept track of the amount of times you disappointed someone, example, your parents).

Has a reason to pay attention to it, for example, this meter when it reaches zero spawns a billion kittens at your current location. Reminder, you don't want that to happen.

Optional: Has a cool animation for when it appears. 

Why? What is the intention behind this? 

Spoiler

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ideas I like:

Spoiler

Fatigue meter. Hydration meter. A splinter meter. Sunburn meter. Diabetes meter. Fluffy meter. Exercise meter. The Woke meter. Blood thirst meter. Idle meter. Exhaustion meter. A meter that measures how long you've been playing and shuts off your computer once you've been playing for more then 3 hours. Intoxication meter. Stress meter. The Gnometer (both of them).

Ok hear me out: Hydration meter

It'd be a blue rectangle next to hunger, each food item would have a hydration value, drinks would be added like water, juice, soda, tea, wine and gin. How it'd function is it'd play an assisting role to the hunger meter.

Eating stuff regularly would be enough to keep your hydration at medium but drinking in addition would raise your hydration for nice effects like slower hunger loss. The hydration stat of food would be like warly's nutrition downside so you'd get dimimishing returns from the same food. Having very low or no hydration would cause you to quickly lose hunger and make you lose health faster if starving.

15 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Ok hear me out: Hydration meter

It'd be a blue rectangle next to hunger, each food item would have a hydration value, drinks would be added like water, juice, soda, tea, wine and gin. How it'd function is it'd play an assisting role to the hunger meter.

Eating stuff regularly would be enough to keep your hydration at medium but drinking in addition would raise your hydration for nice effects like slower hunger loss. The hydration stat of food would be like warly's nutrition downside so you'd get dimimishing returns from the same food. Having very low or no hydration would cause you to quickly lose hunger and make you lose health faster if starving.

Watermelons op?

251779925_Untitledart.png.3ee483aa870ca261bbf922723a218c0b.png

This is the Emotion meter, which is separated into 5 different categories, Joy, Fear, Anger, Sadness, and Neutral, the action affects the meter depending on what character you choose the same action might affect different emotions and some emotions might be harder to increase or decrease depending on the character, the more ring the more the upside gets better but also the downside gets worse too.

Neutral has no upside but also no downside you get this emotion when every emotion is at the same ring or all of your emotion is at zero.

Anger upside attack deals extra damage, randomly 2x when rowing, chop, mine, your body heats up, and random sanity increase, the downside attack from enemies deal more damage, your body heats up, use more of item durability, the stats are harder to increase, sanity is harder to increase.

Sadness upside Mobs are unlikely to attack you, sanity is harder to decrease, randomly get heal, and you get wetter as time goes on, the downside you get wetter as time goes on, random sanity decrease, your hunger gets faster, and your item is more slippery.

Fear upside more chance for nightmare fuel, take less damage, less likely to slip item or get strike by lighting, speed boost gets faster,  and see shadow monster faster, downside sees shadow monster faster, random sanity decrease, weaker attack, faster sanity decrease, the shadow monster are faster and more powerful.

Joy upside, random sanity increase, sanity increase faster, random speed boost, randomly light up, attract mobs, downside attract mobs, your sanity decrease when you get attacked by mobs, your sanity drop when you run out of joy, and your sanity decrease when you don't do something that brings joy.

I don't necessarily know about meters but I would love to see a system along the lines of WX's and how they research things? The current science system is bland. I get an alchemy engine and now I can craft a helmet whooooopee. I feel like there should be more effort in this.

Jimmy's way of researching by scanning is really cool but exactly copying that would make WX suck. Instead I propose a simpler method where you find items and put them into the science machine for something like the bio data WX gets. I guess bio data is the wrong word since you should be able to put a bunch of different items in it. Maybe something like research points? And then you could spend those research points on unlocking new recipes.

Now you might say that just putting in random items for whatever recipe you want is going backwards but I think any more complexity would turn new players off. This balances that with being a more interesting game mechanic.

Idle meter. It detects base potatoes. People who does nothing meaningful will have a high idle value. Doing something meaningful will reduce this meter by 10% and pause it for half a day. Below is a list of things counted as “doing nothing”:

- eating, walking short distance, burning, picking up, dropping down.

- harvesting without storing, open/close storage without storing.

Base potatoes will display different dialogues, such as “I feel like doing nothing”, “why is everybody in hustle”, “life is good”, “thank you for your work”, “honey, don’t work so hard”, “do you pause a moment to appreciate life”.

Blood Thirst Meter. Similar to naughtiness meter, but it includes killing of all living creatures. When the meter is high, you will see shadow creatures in the shape of the things you shed blood on. They are red shadows. For example, if your blood meter is 100, you will see shadow creatures at 75% sanity, if your meter is 50, you will see shadow creatures at 50% sanity.

Shadow creatures are passive, but they will attack back. Killing shadow creatures lowers the meter. The loot of killing such thing is nightmare fuel. This is a way to get nm fuel when you are relatively sane. This would be useful for wigfrid.

Blood thirsty players will glow red.

steal kill a boss gives large amount of BT value.

Eating crockpot non-meat recipe reduces BT value. Rip, wig.

BT also decays slowly. It decays faster after one day of non-killing.

A woke meter for Wickerbottom that is both a downside and upside, starts off at a quarter full, Wickerbottom is not very woke at the beginning. Exploring the map and uncovering new territory and prototyping new things will increase Wickerbottom's wokeness and she'll gain powerful benefits, such as increased vision and temporary knowledge beyond her years. The downside to Wickerbottom's new meter involves the cookbook and gardeneer hat's information to be wiped for the client, giving Wickerbottom more knowledge to obtain and become woke. On a sidenote she gets a blunderbuss that fires bee stingers because why not.

Jokes aside meters are cool :wilson_blush:

Fluffy Meter (for Beefalo): When tamed Beefalo go too long without a trim, they get fluffy based on the amount of meter filled over time. The fluffier they are the slower they are, and they gain damage reduction from the fluffiness.

At max fluff, the tamed Beef cannot be ridden, only rolled. Rolled by survivors like Donkey Kong rolls on barrels.

3 hours ago, Cheggf said:

An exercise and exhaustion meter. All actions raise both, with low exercise and high exhaustion being bad. 

At low exercise, your character gets fat. This causes pigs get more friendly with you, but all actions are slowed down and merms and bunnymen body shame you.

Sunburn meter, in summer, the meter goes up (slowly with cold items such as thermal stone)

TO prevent this, we need a hydration meter as well, which cold water will prevent sunburn

Sunburn is like overheating, when above 50, you lose at least 5 health per day

Ik stupid idea yea ik ik 

10 hours ago, planetearth said:

I don't necessarily know about meters but I would love to see a system along the lines of WX's and how they research things? The current science system is bland. I get an alchemy engine and now I can craft a helmet whooooopee. I feel like there should be more effort in this.

Jimmy's way of researching by scanning is really cool but exactly copying that would make WX suck. Instead I propose a simpler method where you find items and put them into the science machine for something like the bio data WX gets. I guess bio data is the wrong word since you should be able to put a bunch of different items in it. Maybe something like research points? And then you could spend those research points on unlocking new recipes.

Now you might say that just putting in random items for whatever recipe you want is going backwards but I think any more complexity would turn new players off. This balances that with being a more interesting game mechanic.

Unfortunately that's not what I'm looking for.

1 hour ago, NightfallsCurse said:

Sunburn meter, in summer, the meter goes up (slowly with cold items such as thermal stone)

TO prevent this, we need a hydration meter as well, which cold water will prevent sunburn

Sunburn is like overheating, when above 50, you lose at least 5 health per day

Ik stupid idea yea ik ik ( ͡◉ ͜ʖ ͡◉)

Actually that's exactly the type of stuff I'm looking for, small unnecessary meters that introduce a mechanic that could kill you.

A meter that counts how many posts uve made with ur linked klei account on the klei forums in the past two weeks and subtracts 15 max hp/hunger/sanity and 5% movement speed for each one. 

15 minutes ago, Ohan said:

A meter that counts how many posts uve made with ur linked klei account on the klei forums in the past two weeks and subtracts 15 max hp/hunger/sanity and 5% movement speed for each one. 

I would die before making my first move.

4 minutes ago, Waoling said:

The emotion meter can be exculsive meter for Walani it might spice up her gameplay a bit and make her title more focus.

She's one of the most boring characters in the game so giving her a function like this is pretty cool imo.

Archived