What Kind of New Content Can Extend Game Time

After killing all the bosses and building a huge base. It's time to delete the world and start a new one. Any idea for new content that can extend game time greatly, but not making it too time-consuming? What I mean here is making it more fun for players who already finished everything they can do in dst, but not too time-consuming or mandatory for normal players. 

Terraforming and new map configurations that the developers have hand crafted (like terraria developer seeds).

Id personally love a map where the biomes are separated all over the map as their own little islands (as well as smaller islands scattered about).

2 hours ago, Lemon Forest said:

After killing all the bosses and building a huge base. It's time to delete the world and start a new one. Any idea for new content that can extend game time greatly, but not making it too time-consuming? What I mean here is making it more fun for players who already finished everything they can do in dst, but not too time-consuming or mandatory for normal players. 

Play Walter and use his slingshot :)

i'd love to see more stuff like AATT. 

It's time consuming, but you don't have to be there during the whole process. 

and it's rewarding, you get a pretty big tree which is just so great for decor (also helps with spring and summer a bit and grows figs, idk how helpful this is though. still, feels nice to chill under the canopy in summer). 

so, to sum it up, i'd like to see more stuff which takes time to acquire, but rewards you with something which isn't just some powerful weapon or armor(they're cool too, but imo it wouldn't hurt to have more non-fight oriented gameplay like farming, fishing, exploring etc.)

biomes with swamp/ruins difficulty that are randomly generated everytime you step on them so even in old worlds you will have something new to explore

maybe an island with a timer that you need to clean before sinks or you drown and respawns in a random place with a random shape after X days in the ocean. A turtle island perhaps

edit. also hamlet's ruins that regenerates could be a very fun addition. I always feel bad about the ruins not changing shape

Could a hard mode be implemented through gameplay itself instead of settings?
In DS we were able to seek the pieces maxwell left around, then take a few items with you and travel to a new world (which was like regenerating the world but keeping your character)

Maybe something like that could be implemented in DST except that the new world is more challenging.

EG: the landmass is divided in 3 separate islands so the biomes are spread and locked behind sailing, the ocean has much more life, (both good and bad) some random places have mysterious altars that spawn nightmare creatures at nights, mactusk comes and moves in hunting groups of 3 ma tusk per igloo and seek you out much further than normal, warrior pigs set pieces are more common, Charlie attacks you faster, etc.

Yknow the same thing but a slightly more alien.

39 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

In DS we were able to seek the pieces maxwell left around

+1 for in-lore world regen reasons

I would love to have New Game+ mechanics, that basically scale damage/hunger/sanity by 10% each NG+

I think a fun one could be large beasts with random abilities you could hunt post ancient fuelweaver and cc. Basically similar to hunts but at the end is a boss with abilities chosen randomly from a pool, and gives you something based on the abilities it had. Like it could always give an armor or weapon based on what abilities it had. It could heal itself, so it gives weapon that has the batbats effect but does 60 damage, it could summon shadow tentacles when it tries to hit you, and give you a weapon that functions like a thulecite club or armor that summons a tentacle when you get hit. 
other ideas for abilities and rewards

20% extra health and damage and larger, a club that does 125 damage but has a delay between swings (similar dps to a night sword, just allows for instakilling some smaller mobs, or weapon switching after the first swing if you’re fancy)

Heating/cooling the area around it

gives a weapon that can either set enemies on fire or freeze them (the fire one can sort of be a “ah dang wish i had gotten a cold one instead”) 

Causes a lightningstorm at its location, heavy rain and lightning throughout the whole bossfight

a staff that just causes a rainstorm. 

Makes players enlightened and has a strong positive sanity aura.

A strong helmet 90% protection that restores sanity over time at a moderate rate, like 2 or 3 per minute. 

Summons smaller versions of themself to help, but is slightly weaker.

gives an item that you can turn into a critter version of the boss

really i could come up with ideas all day, i just love the idea of not knowing what you’re going to face or get until you’re fighting the boss, it would take some of the players “i know what im gonna fight” away from them, while providing incentive with unique gear. None of it has to be too strong, it just needs to be ancient crafts level. 

nothing too crazy design wise, its the same boss every time, maybe with a color change to indicate their ability, maybe you gotta find out by fighting it. probably like 12k health, they just have a different ability. 

i just think that all too often players can minmax what their bringing to a fight and prepare a perfect arena. If the boss spawns in a random location and despawns when they leave, it makes players fight in suboptimal locations. Maybe they have to fight in an uncleared swamp, maybe it picks a fight with dragonfly, maybe they’re right by a road with nothing around. Maybe they spawn inside your bunnyman farm and you watch as they get torn apart with no input from you. 

it could also be like the twins where it saves what abilities they had and their health if you do need to run away, so that you could prebuild a cold fire, or grab a nightmare amulet or whatever. Either carry something to deal with every ability, or scout it out and grab what you need.

i just think it would make for a very dynamic bossfight with unique loot.

3 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

In DS we were able to seek the pieces maxwell left around, then take a few items with you and travel to a new world (which was like regenerating the world but keeping your character)

Maybe something like that could be implemented in DST except that the new world is more challenging.

EG: the landmass is divided in 3 separate islands so the biomes are spread and locked behind sailing, the ocean has much more life, (both good and bad) some random places have mysterious altars that spawn nightmare creatures at nights, mactusk comes and moves in hunting groups of 3 ma tusk per igloo and seek you out much further than normal, warrior pigs set pieces are more common, Charlie attacks you faster, etc.

that would be fun, kinda like terraria's hard mode?

4 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I feel like this is what the Moonstorm could have been.

Part of what disappoints me about the Moonstorm is it doesn't do anything unique with lunacy now that it's in the Main continent. Which makes me ask, why bring the lunacy mechanic to the main land anyways? You could have the moonstorm on the lunar islands and nothing would have been lost in terms of content, there's no special horror mobs you get from the lunacy mechanic now interacting with the main land, you don't really lose anything from the Moonstorm being limited to the lunar islands, so why bring the enlightenment mechanic to the main land if you're not even gonna do anything with it and have it uniquely interact with things exclusive to the main continent?

I still hope for another update to address the moonstorm and all it's flaws, but tis' a far off dream.

The simple answer still unsaid here - Lights Out mode. You gotta think of alternative ways to get most of your items, you have to devote more time to staving off the darkness, it just changes up the game so much by changing so little.

The RWYS update added a whole new branch to the game with a "simple" new mechanic. You can spend hours farming giant crops and learning their nutrients. 

I think we should have a similar system for fishing, maybe like fishponds in stardew valley, where you can create little farms of each fish and they each type produce some rare items every couple of days. 

Archived