For those that say DST is easy

Some people think that DST is easy and they want more challenge. Actually, you can make it harder yourself if you think it is the case. Here is a list of challenges that will make it way harder for you if you think it is easy.

1) You cannot eat anything at all, kill Fuelweaver.

2) Kill all bosses in a 1 hp world, no revive, bone armor, ranged weapon or exploit allowed.

3) Kill enraged Klaus in a winter only world, no science allowed (no Wickerbottom, no science machine or alchemy engine, no presthatitator or shadow manipulator and no gear from the ruins).

There you go, if you think this game is easy, you can try these challenges. It is not logical to me that people complain about the low difficulty of this game when they can easily make it harder.

Why stop there?

Get both your arms amputated

Then have someone run over your head (no going to the hospital after!)

Blindfolded, while someone repeatedly hits you over the head with a baseball bat (no helmet!)

Challenge ≠ difficulty

I think you might be missing WHY people feel like DST is too easy- or for that matter what “parts” of the game they feel are too easy. 

Bosses can be “Too Hard” while just walking around exploring the surface itself can be “Too Easy”

It’s Only those who want to be punished to the extremes who would ever enjoy any of the stuff you just mentioned..

So allow me to explain what “Too Easy” means- It does NOT mean make the game impossible: It simply means make it less boring, less predictable doing the same old stuff over and over and over and over again, going through the same old biomes always knowing what to find and where.. It’s old- it’s literally like 2013 style old…

Klei has released some amazing DLC expansions for the single player game that spiced things up by adding new challenges, new mobs, new weather seasons, brand new game mechanics (just go play shipwrecked or Hamlet- Mobs have a chance that they can spawn from any random tree or bush you try to harvest)

You could’ve been trying to chop down a tree for it’s food or wood in the dark of night when a Snake or Scorpion falls out and you then have to run around your dimly lit fire trying to kill it & fuel the fire higher.

BFAACB89-2434-4924-B40C-14F23A6720DD.gif.0046cd3c40bc99d9e032cecb5b9723f5.gif

These are challenges that were ALREADY PRESENT within this franchise: These are things people expect from this game.. They don’t want to play at 1 health & never have any healing items…

They simply want to wander through an otherwise empty as heck biome and have something to fight or do every now and then

Even Klei is beginning to show signs that they’re tired of the 2013 formula… the Year of the Catcoon event had cool Kitcoons that were themed on EACH type of biome they were found within…

That should be a pretty big hint at what they and other people want them to do with the game..

Maybe people just want to explore the world in a different way instead of this flat, surface that’s connected to each other in one large cluster, maybe they would like to see those biomes separated across the ocean like an Archipelago World Gen from shipwrecked DLC.. or Maybe they want to see things like THIS that would force them to travel around the map in a different way..

3DEAB02B-4370-4836-BCF0-34E5BF27ED46.jpeg.7762bf98e8ce1d3f196c23eb04724580.jpeg

It would be great if people could understand that “too easy” doesn’t mean they want to see the game become the hardest game on planet earth… it simply means- it’s time for change- & Klei could start by introducing some of the more difficult challenges they’ve added to the franchise with their DLC expansions from the single player game.

Even something as simple as having a Piko Squirrel fall out of the tree you just chopped down for its food seeds grabbing those seeds, stuffing them into its mouth and running off would present a new challenge to the players who play DST but have never touched Hamlet.

I haven't seen a single soul who would claim DST to be "too easy". No matter how good one is, simple mistakes can always punish hard, and make you feel stupid.
A lot of times, folks refer to the standard DST world preset when they refer to the game itself. The challenges you have listed are handicaps nobody wants to deal with, there's a difference between challenging yourself for fun and sliding off the scalding hot roof naked without any enjoyment. Imo it's more fun to rush things, which means still being able to eat, craft things, but you put a time limit on yourself, so you have to do things like doing ruins on day 4, etc.

1 hour ago, HowlVoid said:

have someone run over your head (no going to the hospital after!)

Blindfolded, while someone repeatedly hits you over the head with a baseball bat (no helmet!)

I won't lie, this is how I feel about my upstairs neighbor stomping so much.

-----

On Topic: I guess the hardest part for meta tryhards is having fun with the game huh?

1 hour ago, OMGkawaiiAngel said:

Haiya these challenges sound impossible

they're actually way more doable than it seems tbf, I don't think any of these are absurd since op was nice enough not to ban cheese for #1 and #3 and there's no rule stating that you have to play aggressively on #2 so you can just overprepare and take your sweet time with every boss

5 hours ago, DnD for DST said:

Some people think that DST is easy and they want more challenge. Actually, you can make it harder yourself if you think it is the case. Here is a list of challenges that will make it way harder for you if you think it is easy.

1) You cannot eat anything at all, kill Fuelweaver.

2) Kill all bosses in a 1 hp world, no revive, bone armor, ranged weapon or exploit allowed.

3) Kill enraged Klaus in a winter only world, no science allowed (no Wickerbottom, no science machine or alchemy engine, no presthatitator or shadow manipulator and no gear from the ruins).

There you go, if you think this game is easy, you can try these challenges. It is not logical to me that people complain about the low difficulty of this game when they can easily make it harder.

First one is quite literally impossible.

Second one isnt hard just a pain.

Third one is also just a pain. These aren't challenges. These are just either impossible or going to take forever. My suggestion for a challenge is simply play Walter. Then you shall experience pain

Makin a more serious statement in a sarcastic post, turnin shadows monsters in "Lots" when insane can be painfull and will estimulate to not be insane cuz its dangerous FOR REAL. That by itself turns ruins hell, like the way it used to be when we veterans were begginers. 

At the same time we crave for nightmare fuel, so its really challanging.

Also, another way is trying to play with Picky Eater on. Thats a mmod. Can be fun. 

My take:

Spoiler

DST is as easy or as difficult as your capabilities. If you are very diligent, have a plan (lul not me), develop skill via practice, and have a sufficient amount of knowledge, then anything becomes easy. DST is no different, it just happens that in a public environment like the Klei forums or r/dontstarve most people are already fairly dedicated enough to the game to know advanced concepts that make the game more "manageable". Most people that say "Tsk, this game isn't even that hard" are just blowhards that try to look cool by minimizing the severity of the games they play.

If it makes you feel better I die pretty often as I rarely ever have a plan on what to do, most of my best ideas come in hindsight.

I would say rather than too easy it's more so that the constant is too passive in nature there's not a real need to explore and engage more threatening content and more often than not it's far out of the way of things you actually need I get it's to make the game more accessible but I'd love to see more newer content and threats being added to the base island even if they're not difficult as the main island is mostly empty land while not as extreme as the swamp's tentacle situation I'd love to see more bionmes filled up with mobs both friendly and unfriendly maybe even more natural plant life as well in general just more things to interact with on the surface.

Actually another interesting idea would be to see more roaming existing mobs for example pigmen and merms traveling the island and different bionmes possibly even doing random tasks and depleting the islands resources themselves.

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

I would say rather than too easy it's more so that the constant is too passive in nature there's not a real need to explore and engage more threatening content and more often than not it's far out of the way of things you actually need I get it's to make the game more accessible but I'd love to see more newer content and threats being added to the base island even if they're not difficult as the main island is mostly empty land while not as extreme as the swamp's tentacle situation I'd love to see more bionmes filled up with mobs both friendly and unfriendly maybe even more natural plant life as well in general just more things to interact with on the surface.

Actually another interesting idea would be to see more roaming existing mobs for example pigmen and merms traveling the island and different bionmes possibly even doing random tasks and depleting the islands resources themselves.

Excellent ideas and very good arguments as to why dst feels easy - because it is very PASSIVE.

In single player most bosses spawned on you and in shipwrecked in particular seasons felt actually dangerous and there was no safe space.

Even the silly thief in hamlet added a lot to the game feeling

Roaming/raiding mobs would be amazing and it would finally put walls to some use. I find it absurd that in a survival game walls are cosmetics.

Archived