[Poll] On Boss Drops

Special thanks to Gumby, Maxil and Nettalie who helped me make this lovely poll  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Which boss specific drops / set of drops are the most worth getting? (If choosing from a set pls do elaborate any specific items in the set that are most impt in the comments)

• Living Logs
    • Spiderhat
    • Deerclops Eyeball
    • Ancient Guardian Horn
    • Meese feathers
    • Scales + Scaled Furnace Blueprint + Scale issue
    • Bearger Fur
    • Bee Queen Crown + Royal Jelly + Bundling Wrap Blueprint
    • Shroom Skin + Mushlight blueprint + Funcap blueprint
    • Bone Armor + Bone Helm + Thurible
    • Malbatross Bill + Xtreme Watering Can 9000 Blueprint
    • Eye Mask + Milky whites
    • Shield of Terror
    • Fruit Fly fruit
    • Statue Blueprints
    • Fishing ads
    • Enlightened Crown (tysm for the heads up)
  2. 2. Which boss drops are the hardest to obtain? (If choosing from a set pls do elaborate any specific items in the set that are most impt in the comments)

• Living Logs
    • Spiderhat
    • Deerclops Eyeball
    • Ancient Guardian Horn
    • Meese Feathers
    • Scales + Scaled Furnace Blueprint + Scale issue
    • Bearger Fur
    • Bee Queen Crown + Royal Jelly + Bundling Wrap Blueprint
    • Shroom Skin + Mushlight blueprint + Funcap blueprint
    • Bone Armor + Bone Helm + Thurible
    • Malbatross Bill + Malbatross Feathers + Xtreme Watering Can 9000 Blueprint
    • Celestial Tribute + Strident Trident blueprint
    • Desert Stones + Lazy Deserter Blueprint
    • Enlightened Crown
    • Eye Mask + Milky Whites
    • Shield of Terror
    • Fruit Fly fruit
    • Statue Blueprints
    • Fishing ads
  3. 3. Do you want boss drops to have resource sinks to incentivize fighting the boss several times?

4. 4. Do you want new boss drops to be introduced to currently existing bosses?

5. 5. Do you want existing boss drops to have new items?

You forgot to add enlightened crown for the first question. I voted for dfly for question 1 but not for the scales or it’s derivatives but the gems that come with it. I kill it on cooldown for the gems. 

Should also probably add napsack blueprint to the toadstool option for question 1. It’s the most important toad drop because u need it if u want to craft a lot of lampposts.

I would love to see new items that use existing boss drops like the dfly furnace (great structure but incomplete without lazy furnace mod imo). Bearger fur in particular could use a new purpose like a deluxe sleeping bag. 

<Obligatory mention that CK’s loot is garbo.>

edit: i dont really understand question 3.

Aren't the 4th and 5th question that same question?

Anyways for Q.1 I answered with the Bee Queen loot. The reason is because bee Queen crown stops insanity from ever being a problem in boss fights, makes sanity very easy to manage in the ruins and is also a decent head armor when used in combination with a log suit or thelucite suit. Royal jelly also take care of healing forever because 6-7 royal jelly turn into 1800-2100 points of healing (if you don't know how crazy that is, a stack of pierogi is 1600 healing, 40 pierogi!). Bundling wrap allows you to effectively store 4 slots of inventory space into 1 all at the cost of 3 grass and lets not forget its ability to freeze food spoilage timers. Honestly that's why I think bee queen is a 10/10 boss, hard fight, good loot and is available anytime you want.

In Q.2 I answered with cc, do I need to explain? Like really.

I didn't really understand Q.3 but I answered yes. Q.4 I didn't probably read through but I answered no however after properly reading it I want to change my answer from a no to a yes. Q.5 I answered yes.

55 minutes ago, Ohan said:

nt really understand question 3.

From what I understand as this question was one of Nett's contributions, i think its boss drops being used as a resource in resource sinks (e.g. Shroom skins being used for multiple Mushlights). Do clarify if im wrong @Nettalie

50 minutes ago, SecretPizzaMan said:

Aren't the 4th and 5th question that same question?

Q4 refers to more boss drops being added to bosses, like for instance if the deerclops decided to drop part of its toenails. Q5 refers to existing drops having new uses, like being able to make new darts with the moose or malb feathers. 

I really like DST’s boss drops. I much prefer them to Terraria’s, where for most bosses you only have a chance to get the weapon you actually want, and the loot is very replaceable. My favorite is probably the scaled furnace, it’s not as important or useful as jellybeans or smth but it’s very convenient to have especially considering you can usually get it before your first winter.

2 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

Shroom skins being used for multiple Mushlights

That would be precisely it

Well that and drops that are generally used for smaller items that are less permanent like a structure would be, such as dragonfly's scales being used in scalemails.

Living logs are most important drop ever. Shadow manipulator, star caller staff, darkswords... even clean sweeper. 

But since there are ways to obtain in no-boss way, I am unsure if it's a boss drop.

And personally for me most important proper boss loot are bundling wraps (and the blueprint). I can run without eyebrella, but I need to protecc my food from spoiling...

What items could get extra use, can be considered as boss loot (in same way as living logs), but it's obtainable in many other ways? Glass shards. There are 2 maybe 3 crafts for them and after Celestial Champion you get tons of these.

4 and 5 are the same question are they not? resource sinks are fine as long as its more of a one time resource sink (think dragonfly walls, toadstool flingos, winona pults/houndius etc) in order to repeatedly fight the boss with minimal danger/resource cost after the initial upfront cost. while i would like to see old bosses getting new drops, dragonfly could do with a unique drops, as while gems are nice, they arent unique to dfly, and the lavae is underwhelming. crab especially needs something, maybe an anchor upgrade using one of his claws that drops way faster. lunar champion could also do with something else, maybe not an equipment, but a crafting material that could be used to make something would be cool, maybe a beefalo saddle that is stronger than the war saddle, as fast as the glossammer saddle, but causes your beefalo do take more damage, since whenever they get hit glass would be digging into them or something.

'Tis a bit weird, in a sense.

On one hand, I despise Toadstool and his drops souly because they exist as an item sink. Mushlights are a convenience at best, yet you only get 3 of them per Toadstool fight. Meaning that farming Mushlights and Glowcaps (Which aren't even infinite, mind you. Unless you farm a second, entirely seperate boss) is slow, tedious, and a just one big beefalo patty.

Ofcourse, on the other hand. I look at my mob drops chest and see 3 separate thick furs that I have no use for sense I already made the insulated pack and Hibearnation vest. It's just rather annoying to have a backlog on such rare items, yet nothing to use them on.

I largely ignore bosses unless some asks me to help kill one. Living logs are my most wanted by far, deerclops eye a distant 2nd for using a bad equipment slot. I like mushlights and caps, but not enough to fight THAT boss, but if he were converted into a crafting station, I’d use them.

I have a love/hate relationship with furnace, I like being lazy; but not needing a fire pit means you need less logs, which means less living logs.

Part of the problem with some bosses isn't that the fight is hard, it's that the fight is a massive resource sink due to factors such as high-health, high-damage to justify bringing a lot of armor, and mechanics that require items/tools to continue the fight.

Spoiler

For example, Misery Toadstool isn't a hard fight, you just need a lot of weapons and tools to fight him. You have to use many weapons on him because Ham Bats don't work without using tricks to make it work, and you need lots of Weather Pains/Ice Staves and Tools to keep up with the sporecaps he spawns or he will gain 99% damage reduction. The fight is almost impossible without some insane preparation or exploits of some degree (including ai pathing) even though it's a pretty fun boss to face. I would say the same with Crab King but with boat patches too.

I'd like to see a raid boss that occasionally drops weapons and resources for you to use against them in the fight (lasting only for the fight) to make it less of a resource sink and to accommodate higher-health bosses going forward. This would help to make fights more about skill, strategy, and teamwork, and less about bringing 10 darkswords, 4 weather pains, a lazy explorer, a magiluminescence, 6-8 helmets, 15 pierogies, 3 Volt-Goat Chaufroid, and whatever else is needed for that specific raid-boss alone.

2 minutes ago, Owlrust said:

Part of the problem with some bosses isn't that the fight is hard, it's that the fight is a massive resource sink due to factors such as high-health, high-damage to justify bringing a lot of armor, and mechanics that require items/tools to continue the fight.

Hide contents

For example, Misery Toadstool isn't a hard fight, you just need a lot of weapons and tools to fight him. You have to use many weapons on him because Ham Bats don't work without using tricks to make it work, and you need lots of Weather Pains/Ice Staves and Tools to keep up with the sporecaps he spawns or he will gain 99% damage reduction. The fight is almost impossible without some insane preparation or exploits of some degree (including ai pathing) even though it's a pretty fun boss to face. I would say the same with Crab King but with boat patches too.

I'd like to see a raid boss that occasionally drops weapons and resources for you to use against them in the fight (lasting only for the fight) to make it less of a resource sink and to accommodate higher-health bosses going forward. This would help to make fights more about skill, strategy, and teamwork, and less about bringing 10 darkswords, 4 weather pains, a lazy explorer, a magiluminescence, 6-8 helmets, 15 pierogies, 3 Volt-Goat Chaufroid, and whatever else is needed for that specific raid-boss alone.

what i do is fighting him in spring or winter so i only use 1 morning star for toad and a couple for misery plus with how high is the damage, the fight last less. In some world i place some hondious in one of the arenas so when he spawns there i always poison him but that is a very late game thing. Anyways, misery was added as a non solo fight so i think isnt a bad thing and less whem we have the celestial portal but maybe is just me because i like having the need of farming materials which i can understand that migh not be fun for others if is too much. I will be okey as long as the fight is dosble as solo but klei should stop adding bosses with WP mechanics for a while... not because can be grindy but mostly because is boring to need them on every hard fight, or atleast add another kind of aoe/quick atack weapons

i love how dst bosses loot work, most of them are very useful and others, even if there might be other methods, are good for certain task like spider hat for cleaning infested biomes. There is sandbox games with awful boss system like valheim (you dont farm bosses and the system is so lineal (you one shot the 1st boss in late not like in dst) with this i dont want to say that is a bad game tho) or even hamlet  (the only boss you might kill more than 1 time is pugalisk or iron hulk for rocks or for the lolz of using the suit, womant queen doesnt even respawn and ancient herald...better not talk about him, so you end up only building and surviving bat waves or jumping into another dlc) and you really appreciate them when you experience that kind of games. I wish all the games had the balance that dst has in their bosses

i also love how you keep reducing the cost of the fights with your experience so it feels rewarding even after many hours so, instead of wasting tons of armor, you bring few to prevent being 1shot, you need less tools or learn how to get them quickly plus you learn new tactics to make them more efficient and you dont waste much healing instead of needing to cook for days. Other games you just faceroll the fight to get rid of it and go for the next one

Definitely love the deerclops eyeball for the first winter, spring is on level one mode with it (rain and lightning-wise), but once I start stockpiling them every winter, they start filling up chests, and I rarely use turrets, so I either feed them to my critters or trash them with lureplants

Bone armor and bone helm really is worth the pain in the fuelweaver fight, bone armor is great because it's reusable, doesn't break, and gives invincibility every 5 seconds. If I'm Wanda, bone helm makes it easy to farm her fuel

Spoiler

Credits to splorange*

Shroom skins are great, I love napsacks so I can duplicate shroom skins, the light is awesome with the glowcaps and mushlights especially now we can have infinite light with them without any events enabled.

Enlightened crown is great, keeps my sanity high, and it makes boss fights quicker, I only wish the sanity requirement was higher, oh, the light is pretty great too!

Eye mask and shield are great for a weapon and a reusable football helmet, that's all I have to say.

Resource sink aka repetitive mindless grinding that could discourage multiplayer play depending on how it's implemented.

If I want to fight a boss I fight it. I don't need the game to force it upon me as a dumb chore. I'll go play a Korean MMO if I want to do that.

Archived