134 members have voted

1. 1. Which perks do you like more? explain if you can

Webber

• Base around fighting/general survival
  • Downsides no pig choppers & low sanity
  • Hunger/Health for days
  • Easy silk & nightmare fuel
  • Quick silky beard + tier 3 Dens = Tents
  • Spiders can take care of most of bosses, even Crab King (only have to worry about them eating horns or eyeballs)

Wurt

• Base around building/resource farming
  • Downsides no Pig King trades & vegan
  • Better loggers/miners
  • Easy rot & (cobble) swamp turf
  • Less negatives with water + Pet fish bonus
  • Merm King gives you beefy stats + stronger merms (although pricey 30 merm warriors can quickly destroy Bee Queen in 1 min)

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I find Wurts ability to carry a pet fish and wear a sanity head slot item to gain sanity and explore caves without penalty a massively overlooked perk for her.

Also Star-Sky (the caves version of Chester) counts as a pet fish & never spoils.

As I keep telling you, it’s not overlooked, just weak.

22 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I find Wurts ability to carry a pet fish and wear a sanity head slot item to gain sanity and explore caves without penalty a massively overlooked perk for her.

Also Star-Sky (the caves version of Chester) counts as a pet fish & never spoils.

tbh - If you want ez sanity for caves exploration just pick Walter.  Literally zero sanity loss unless you take damage.

I prefer Wurt over Webber.

My play experience with Webber is quite dated though.  Last time I played him was in DS before ROG released.  He was the first one I cleared adventure mode with b/c he's super easy to play.  Just get spider wars for endless food, and yeah, that's all you need to "win" this game.

I've played Wurt more recently - and really love her shark skin.  Her other skins are quite disappointing, but sometimes its good to look ugly, and Wurt makes that work.  I never put much effort into building merm houses.  I usually just shack up in the swamp and bring everything to me there using the default merms.  As she doesn't have much penalty to compensate for I never build merm king either.  Her stats don't need the boost.  But I also haven't played her in quite some time.

27 minutes ago, Toros said:

As I keep telling you, it’s not overlooked, just weak.

Character perks aren’t just built for “late-end game experienced players” this will actually colossally help in the early game or anyone who simply hasn’t advanced far enough into the game for better sanity alternatives.

Its just like me.. I MAIN WENDY.. Abigail provides a perk for Free Infinite light if you keep her in good health, now aside from MAYBE wanting to save light source durability- this perk is entirely useless to an experienced player who can find better light alternatives, but for a NEWER Player still absolutely horrified of caves, still getting caught off guard at night without a torch or campfire- This perk is actually helpful to them.

And I think that’s a large part of what people just DON’T factor into a characters design.

Walter taking damage and losing sanity without being at max health is a massive downside that will frighten away Newbie players, but at the exact same time he has some really gimmicky ways of restoring that sanity that helps that newbie player (wearing special hat, standing in a bunch of trees, telling campfire stories, using his portable tent) 

So yes- even though YOU find Wurts perk weak and useless, it’s not meant to help you..

I think Webber is for players who find Wilson hard to play as.He can farm a lot of easy food, silk and healing, have a lot of hp, (and let's be honest) don't need that much effort to play as.

Wurt is on other hand more for already experienced players, who can deal with things like not eating meat and speedrunning merm king.

So it's makes sense for me why people prefer Webber more, he is free and easy.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Character perks aren’t just built for “late-end game experienced players” this will actually colossally help in the early game or anyone who simply hasn’t advanced far enough into the game for better sanity alternatives.

Its just like me.. I MAIN WENDY.. Abigail provides a perk for Free Infinite light if you keep her in good health, now aside from MAYBE wanting to save light source durability- this perk is entirely useless to an experienced player who can find better light alternatives, but for a NEWER Player still absolutely horrified of caves, still getting caught off guard at night without a torch or campfire- This perk is actually helpful to them.

And I think that’s a large part of what people just DON’T factor into a characters design.

Walter taking damage and losing sanity without being at max health is a massive downside that will frighten away Newbie players, but at the exact same time he has some really gimmicky ways of restoring that sanity that helps that newbie player (wearing special hat, standing in a bunch of trees, telling campfire stories, using his portable tent) 

So yes- even though YOU find Wurts perk weak and useless, it’s not meant to help you..

If a player is not able to manage their sanity to the point wurt’s perk is actually helpful, they also won’t survive the caves.

You present a good premise about some perks being valuable for new players and much less so for experienced ones, but wurt in caves isn’t a good example.

Willow as a character is very much meant to help new players survive and is much better at it than Walter or Wurt.

I've played both recently and... they're both alright?

Wurt

* Herbivore is a more entertaining downside that encourages you to explore recipes you might not have otherwise used. Would never have learned the virtues of Figatoni if not for Wurt.
* Perks are varied but fun, but you have to go out of your way a bit to use them (base in swamp aboveground, live with bunnymen underground, etc).
* Sunfish/Ice Bream offer the best late-game temperature control in the game for Wurt, and provide sanity to boot!

Webber

* His actual downside isn't sanity, it's spiders acting up at the slightest provocation. Solo it's not so bad, but in a team the periodic spider plagues can be quite frustrating.
* Scales up better. Steamrolling bosses with an army of spitters and nurses is a lot of fun.
* Farming spiders is a lot more profitable and a lot cheaper to set up than farming Merms.

I tend to change my gameplay more significantly with Wurt and I don't with Webber, so I'll choose her as my preference for now. 

With that said, I have been meaning to try out a spider-plague strategy on a public server. The idea is that instead of joining the public base and carefully corralling my spider army with pens and decorated nests, I instead base in an obscure corner of the map and dedicate the entirety of my play time to producing spider eggs and expanding the spiderlands, slowly engulfing the server in an ever-rising tide of spiders. By the time the other players discover my presence, it will be too late to stop me. All will be spiders.

I've dumped on Wurt enough as is, but ah well, may aswell summerize my thoughts on her.

>Merms are entirely uncreative in their function only serving as re-skinned pigs.

>King of the Merms is pointless 90% of the time. Which isn't helped by the fact that it costs more to up keep him than it does to just enlist a new king whenever you want to trade or fight.

>Wurt's perks are scattered, focusing more on "What would a Merm be able to do?" instead of making a cohesive playstyle

Webber, 1000% Webber. Any day of the week.

Wurt, I really love fosh.

On a more serious note, barely wurt, webber has really great early game and spiders that make bossing and fighting really easy... Buuuuut, wurt has amazing gathering merms for wood AND rocks. I know they sometimes break and run back to you all confused, but they can also break the opposite way and not stop chopping/mining, I had to go looking in another part of a forest cos a merm wouldn't stop CHOPPING, PLEASE I HAVE NO ROOM!

So uh, wurt.

Archived