The most OP character in don't starve together?

All I'm saying is that for the most part, any role can be filled by multiple characters. Gathering? Maxwell and Woodie. Fighting? Wolfgang, Wigfrid, and Wanda. Support? Wortox, Warly, and Wigfrid.

But there is only ONE character that can ride an invisible bicycle

9 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

Different people have different opinions.

Exactly, plus it’s also entirely situational too. What are they OP at doing exactly?

Wes spawns into the game with a Balloon he can craft immediately and zoom around the map at faster speed then anyone else quickly scouting the map without needing to gather any additional resources to do so.

for the other contenders in “Best Map Scout”- Walter needs to feed 3 Monster Meat to Woby, and Woodie needs to craft the Goose Totem Wormwood needs to craft fertilizers for bloom, WX78 needs to Overcharge, so is Wes really Best in this who is quickest scenario?

Then there’s Wurt- Wurt can abandon a boat without taking any penalty for it, where as for Wes to achieve this same result he needs to first craft his water vests- So who takes the crown in this Showdown? Merm girl Florp?

Wortox- best healer in the game, there’s no one else in the category with him.. period.

I don't play Wendy, so maybe I am stupid, so as far as I know Wendy is pretty good at killing everything, include bosses right? I think is where the problem start, I think it would be cool to kinda separate the companions characters (Webber, Wurt, Walter, Maxwell, Wendy as far as I remember).

So I think Wendy just should be good at killing hordes of mobs, but not bosses, so it would make Webber boss killing, and Walter as an explorer, Maxwell and Wurt it gets kinda tricky, because the two have pretty big downsides, but I think Maxwell should be like a gather character pretty good at everything to compensate with his low life, and Wurt somewhere else, I don't know

sorry my English

24 minutes ago, Keenio said:

So I think Wendy just should be good at killing hordes of mobs, but not bosses

why? the only fun part of wendy, because of her stupid numbers,is managing abi in boss fight, remove that and she will be even more boring

there is no problem in wendy being a powerful character (there are wolf, wanda, wormwood or maxwekl), the problem is how little player interaction is needed to survive since abi does all the job. So i would say the opposite, let abi being useful in boss fights but reduce how good is at killing big numbers without help since is already very easy to save her

i love reading people saying that wendy has downsides because she can be even stronger by investing time helping pipspook or having less damage against shadows (200 sanity+ less sanity drop perk)

the same bored people that called wanda op because of her second chance watch before even her being release. I dont even know why i hate my self that much to waste time reading such nonsenses hahahaha

3 hours ago, CarlZalph said:

If you go by player selection choices, then Wendy is the most OP followed up by Wigfrid, and then Wilson.  They're the top most picked characters.

For Endless servers, Wanda is the go-to in the mid/end game due to the teleporting + whip ranged super smacking watch slinging action.

For early game, I would say Woodie/Wortox/Wendy are very strong picks.

For farming simulator, Wormwood removes the requirement for tilling and speeds up 'talking' to plants without any requirements, and the bloom state makes it even more of a breeze.

For empire building simulator, Wurt is a thing and Webber is more friendly to newer players.

For pure early game damage, Wolfgang is the speedrunner's choice for damage throughput and boss rushing; Walter for discovery since free + cheap beefalo speed.

For AFK boss nuking and hound defenses, then Winona/Wickerbottom can do those.

For complete team support, Warly is King.  His foods are such huge boon stat sticks that makes him very nice to have.

Willow can sort of help newer players out with Bernie to keep care of the shades, but her depth is a bit lacking to me.

WX78 is primitive in terms of gameplay complexity- eat gears and get struck by lightning for big +stats.

Waxwell's strong suit of being the team gatherer was taken over by the other characters and is pending a rework.

Wes fills the fantasy of the challenge role.  Not exactly how I'd like to play the game, since most of his downsides are -stats rather than some complex interaction that makes him interesting.

Ultimately I think it all really depends on what the player is doing in the game to determine how OP they are.  I like the characters that turn the game into a different means to an end rather than adding on additions of doing the same thing.

But that's the thing about this game is that the baseline is there with many ways to go about doing it.  It's like a sandbox.

And with such, many people from different ways to play the game will experience the characters differently and judge them better/worse depending.  This is akin to a tier list, and no two will be the same.

Generally the implied dimension when people are talking about OP is mechanical strength, which as you have pointed out only weakly correlates with popularity.

I believe there are better and worse answers to this, but Wanda/Warly/Wolfgang have the strongest arguments for them depending on solo with swapping, solo no swapping/or for team play (which also varies by size).

Wolf is the strongest mechanically for solo with swapping because he can hit 6x damage.

Warly and Wanda are both excellent and superior to Wolfgang for teamplay and solo no swapping due to having high damage (which wolf has) and significantly more team contribution and utility.

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

I can understand the argument but the issue is combat is a major part of the game it provides you with resources that make every other aspect of the game easier and if you have 2 characters who trivialize it to that degree it kind of cheapens the overall feel of things for example imagine if you had a character who had infinite hp no other character is effected by it but that still cheapens the experience right?

Would a god mode character ruin the game? Instinctively, I want to agree with you and say "yes, obviously". That would be the easiest answer for me. However, I think it may be more... nuanced, than that.

I've played games with relatives too young to have learned basic keyboard use. They need to look at the keyboard to play, so they are mostly restricted to driving games (where they only need to accelerate and turn left or right), or mouse-based games. Don't Starve could be something they could play, but it's way too unforgiving.

So I turn on god mode for them. Take away the pressure of dying, and they can explore the constant with me. That would be super cool.

So there's the use case for such an option. Basically the same use case as easy-mode characters, but exaggerated even further: a supereasy mode character, for people who have zero prior experience with games. But what about the detriments?

Obviously, if a semi-experienced player used such a character, they could flood your world with boss drops. But that's not too far off what an experienced player can achieve with any character. Does the servers MVP returning from the ruins late autumn with late-game gear ruin the game for everyone at base? Not in my personal experience.

But this would allow anyone to do that... except, would a semi-experienced player actually use such a character? I can't really say. I certainly wouldn't, it sounds boring and it would probably hurt my pride.

So, while I certainly admit there's an emotional part of me that is saying "godmode bad, do not want", I'm having trouble rationalizing that opinion. I don't think it's a good idea, far from it (aside from anything else, I'm sure it would quickly become the option of choice for trolls and other such ne'er do wells), but I think the fallout of such a change would at least be smaller than you're imagining.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how op woodie is

with his goose totem he can explore the world faster than anyone else, except maybe wortox who moves 500% to 600% faster than a standard character

his beaver form chops trees at least 4 times faster than maxwell due to no treeguards making him obsolete, and he can also mine rocks slower than everyone else which is insane

and his moose form is extremely op for fighting multiple enemies at once like if you wanna destroy a beehive (bees are unkitable) just transform, kill the bees and then do nothing while you wait for the meter to run out then starve to death, its that simple really. also really good for deerclops since you're not guaranteed to find pigs before the night of day 30 so you may not have a ham bat

14 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

(bees are unkitable)

Uhm .. no.

Kited swarms of bees many times. Hit the one closes to you , dodge , hit the closest one , dodge. Reapeat till entire swarm is dead.

Bees attacks are very short ranged and slow and one of the easiest attacks to sync and kite.

14 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned how op woodie is

with his goose totem he can explore the world faster than anyone else, except maybe wortox who moves 500% to 600% faster than a standard character

his beaver form chops trees at least 4 times faster than maxwell due to no treeguards making him obsolete, and he can also mine rocks slower than everyone else which is insane

and his moose form is extremely op for fighting multiple enemies at once like if you wanna destroy a beehive (bees are unkitable) just transform, kill the bees and then do nothing while you wait for the meter to run out then starve to death, its that simple really. also really good for deerclops since you're not guaranteed to find pigs before the night of day 30 so you may not have a ham bat

Quality satire

1 hour ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

why? the only fun part of wendy, because of her stupid numbers,is managing abi in boss fight, remove that and she will be even more boring

there is no problem in wendy being a powerful character (there are wolf, wanda, wormwood or maxwekl), the problem is how little player interaction is needed to survive since abi does all the job. So i would say the opposite, let abi being useful in boss fights but reduce how good is at killing big numbers without help since is already very easy to save her

i love reading people saying that wendy has downsides because she can be even stronger by investing time helping pipspook or having less damage against shadows (200 sanity+ less sanity drop perk)

the same bored people that called wanda op because of her second chance watch before even her being release. I dont even know why i hate my self that much to waste time reading such nonsenses hahahaha

Yea you point makes more sense, but I still think the characters companions characters should be more separate, so no other character would make another useless.

other characters I think are op:

wolfgang: with his x2 damage he can literally solo raid bosses, a feat almost no other characters can achieve

wortox: p2w character, only character who can heal (other characters have no way to heal), can escape from dangerous situations like when 100 shadow splumonkeys appear from inside your prestihatitator, can eat souls (the only farmable food source in the game), faster than overcharged wx with cane and mag and road and coffee and tropical bouillabaisse with his soul hops, soul hops grant iframes which effectively boost his dps to about x3 making him better than wolfgang

wigfrid: the only character who can tank, this means that unlike wolfgang who has to kite she gets more hits in effectively boosting her dps to the same level

wickerbottom: watch edgy ricks video

wx78: 400 hp is a must to solo any raid boss with his x1 multiplier, plus you can tank a little bit (not as much as wigfrid tho) to boost your dps, only has to spend your entire supply of purple gems to run faster for 5 minutes

warly: dont have to explain, thanks to jazzy we could see just how good he is

wendy: the true op character, I saw on reddit that she is better than wolfgang at rushing every single boss, abigail can kill butterflies (other characters need ranged weapons like boomerang to kill them) allowing her to live off their wings forever, breaks the game and takes no skill

22 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

You forgot Wilson who is the only character in the game with perks so he is the most op character of all.

He's also P2W which is really unfair since you have to buy the game to play him and none of us own the game.

Wormwood is pretty OP, free crops anywhere without needing to build a diggamajig. Can talk to plants just by running through them, can use poop, rot, compost fertilizers to heal, eats red cap with no penalty, can gather leafy meat & seaweed barnacles without being murdered by the angry plants, forced self bloom & and wetness immunity. Free living logs from his own Hp. Only downside is bramble armor it sucks.

1 hour ago, Guille6785 said:

wortox: p2w character, only character who can heal (other characters have no way to heal),

Wigfrid self heals when attacking. 

Wortox isnt p2w, you can play the game just fine with any character, Wortox also has disadvantages, mainly that he cant recruit either pigs and bunnies.

His dps is just slightly above average thanks to his hops, but Wolfgang and other dps oriented characters still beat him.

Both Wolfgang and WX can tank due to their high HP values (300 and 400 respectively) combined with healing food and armor, they are quite tanky.

1 hour ago, Guille6785 said:

wickerbottom: watch edgy ricks video

Sorry but that guy is an immature egomaniac, youre better off watching other youtubers for DS content.

I kinda had the feeling you watched him due to the p2w thing with Wortox which im pretty sure he made a video about, im telling, he is a waste of time, with biased as hell takes. 

44 minutes ago, Dollmaker said:

Wigfrid self heals when attacking. 

Wortox isnt p2w, you can play the game just fine with any character, Wortox also has disadvantages, mainly that he cant recruit either pigs and bunnies.

His dps is just slightly above average thanks to his hops, but Wolfgang and other dps oriented characters still beat him.

Both Wolfgang and WX can tank due to their high HP values (300 and 400 respectively) combined with healing food and armor, they are quite tanky.

Sorry but that guy is an immature egomaniac, youre better off watching other youtubers for DS content.

I kinda had the feeling you watched him due to the p2w thing with Wortox which im pretty sure he made a video about, im telling, he is a waste of time, with biased as hell takes. 

it was satire lol

Wendy, definitely.
She can bypass PVP settings, attacking IRL players' Sanity with strategic use of spamming /yawn as rapidly as possible.

With a superior connection strength, you become an inescapable mobile panic attack.
Psychological warfare at its finest.

Spoiler

Fear my power, mortals.

The most OP character is the one that you personally love playing the most and have gotten used to, you won't miss out much on perks if you improvise and think creatively.

Sure, it's much more convenient to simply get a big damage modifier from eating like Wolfgang, but you can always take advantage of your surroundings and make them help you take down big things with minions. For example you can fight Toadstool together with Treeguards you have pacified nearby if you let it crush a tree or have them attacked by his AoE mushrooms, or just blow bosses up with that gunpowder - there's no shame in employing such tactics to keep your progress rolling, you don't have to prove yourself to anyone.

Chopping? Recruit pigs/bunnymen, just watch for treeguards. Blooming? One-man Band. Abigail's spider genocide? You'll get anenemies, bunnymen, pigs, etc. It's your own sandbox, and it's all up to you to strategize and think of different approaches.

Most of the time perks simply give you the luxury of having early efficiency in various things, until you keep on surviving and collecting enough to make a lot of other things.

9 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

A true OP character IMHO (and I know a lot of people will be angry about this) is Wendy

9 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

they require strategy and certain knowledge of the game, whereas Wendy does not. Wendy does everything better than everyone else, except boss fighting, which is the only thing that would probably require you to get a bit deeper into the game's knowledge to do efficiently

While one can afk kill spiders, bees and hounds, it's far more efficient in terms of time and resources saved to help Abigail:

1. a. Hitting spider nest while Abigail is dealing with all the spiders/targeting warriors to help her allows to destroy nest before spider queen spawns, even if nest was ready to do so;

b. Afk-ing efficiently at spider nests requires time to them mature to tier 3 size and then making and maintaining a setup. It's quite cheap, but is not free and effortless, also it's not portable, which means afk food farming is limited to one area and instead of doing more productive things Wendy has to restrict herself to that area and waste time, + I, personally, don't feel like babysitting common base nests in order to prevent spider queens on pubs);

c. Afk-ing for a long time requires small heal potion;

2. Abigail can kill unlimited amount of bees, sure, but unless there is Warly with his full kitchen on the server and he is ready to spice food (preferably powdercakes), why would one need to destroy killer bee biome worth of bee hives early? Also it's one time thing, after that everyone can run bee farm. If anything, it's newbie trap, since people waste time on acquiring massive pile of resources team won't need anytime soon. I'm not trying to tell Abigail is bad or not useful for this job, she in fact is a godsent for that specific task, but I question importance and overall impact of one time event regarding longterm playthrough, for solo or teamplay, especially since it's not the only way of obtaining resource in question (honey).

Destroying bee hives outside of killer bee biome is easy as any character, and also is one time thing; Abigail is nice for that, but not a game changer since DST bees can be kited; one can't afk destroy bee hives either since they are spaced far away from each other, and even with Abigail the most efficient use of one's time is to help her to get to other objectives faster.

3. Abigail is a great help in case of hound wave, but why would one need to afk in the first place (no matter how experienced player is)? Where is the fun in sitting at one place from hound wave to hound wave? Who would want to exploit this scenario? Also Abigail was good for dealing with hounds since solo DS, although she was close to death if hound wave happened during day. In DST, interestingly enough, I often see unexperienced Wendies loosing their Abigails - and their lives shortly after - because they don't know when to rile up and soothe Abigail, so it's not like every newbie afks to survive.

This whole afk talk is as if someone said that Wendy doesn't need any light source since Abigail glows in darkness: technically it's true and one can use it as light source, but it's so not worth it that it barely matters. Try "nothing world" challenge (or close enough settings, like "only indestructable/non-depletable", "no plant life" and so on), where one can't craft miner hat/lantern at reasonable time, refuel it at reasonable pace, and on top of that has very limited grass and twigs supply for torches and you will understand what I mean ("lights out" also is also a good option in terms of light management).

Also doing anything other than killing small mobs (not even all of them, for frog rain Abigail needs big heal potions) requires strategy and knowledge of the game mechanics, from using pigs to chop wood/killing them to killing bosses (in fact, Wendy spends additional resources on CC regardless of whether she decides to do fight alone or with Abigail, Wes is legit better for this fight).

11 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

require you to get a bit deeper into the game's knowledge to do efficiently

In most cases in order to use Abigail efficiently one would need to practice very different version of boss fight, this version is riskier, and one needs not "a bit deeper", but extensive knowledge of the game mechanics and skill (Bee Queen is an exception). In a lot of cases one needs also a lot of potions to the point when doing fight with 0.75 damage modifier can be more efficient (Shadow pieces, Ancient Guardian, Toadstool (+misery), phase 3 of Celestial Champion, Klaus (this one is extra not worthy with Abigail), seasonal bosses). Celestial Champion, Fuelweaver, Shadow pieces, Crab King, Toadstool I had to practice for hours to master, even dozens of hours in some cases, and in case Dragonfly kiting it's also dozens of hours too (although this one has nothing to do with Abigail).

an army of disposable pigs

It's not related to Wendy, everyone except Webber and Wortox can do that, and Wurt has alternative. Efficiency of the method depends on how far in the game one is, since multiple treeguards easily screw things over consistently (+ pigs attack them on sight, so ice staff won't work), also even if you hold lantern/feed glowberry to pig they just won't work at dusk, so it's fairly mediocle method of chopping wood. Anyway, Wendy doesn't have upsides in terms of basic resource collection, she is like Wilson in that regard, and majority of the cast is in the same situation.

She has a sanity generating machine

Not portable, taking a lot of space (relevant for boat base) structure that has tiny range, which is why in order to take advantage of that sanity aura one needs to stand still hugging it; furthermore, for stationary sanity source +25 per minute is not great at all (compare to old sanity stations, stacking fires for Willow or even utility of casting 1-2 dwarf stars/polar lights, tent or non-aura means of raising sanity, let alone clothing). Sanity aura rarely comes into play, this thing is useful for restoring Abigail's strength after loss, but the fact that neither dark petals, no lunar tree blossom can be put in sisturn makes sanity aura irrelevant even in long sailing sessions - one niche use it could be great for.

Then you describe different means of combating 0.75 damage modifier against shadows, and the sole fact that you do shows that it's an actual downside; also there are other cases when downside can be completely negated, like Wormwood healing with jellybeans/bat bat or Walter kiting properly, but that doesn't mean these downsides are non-existent or bad-designed.

12 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I wouldn't nerf Wendy though

I posted suggestion in "Suggestions and feedback" how I would change Wendy in order to keep high skill ceiling and discourage afk even further, while making her gameplay even more complex. Also I like @Wendy C. suggestion of Abigail requiring sacrifice of small non-stacking living thing in the inventory after her "death" (not each time one summons/unsummons her), but interestingly enough although people like to discuss how OP Wendy is (+ please nerf threads) these suggestions were completely ignored or received with even more complains instead (I hoped for interesting discussion). Oh well.

12 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Wendy comes from the portal almost at full power and requires minimum or no knowledge of the game to get the most of her

I guess it depends on how often you farm small mobs (the thing Wendy always was great at even before rework) and do other things: the more time you spend farming small mobs compared to anything else, the more OP she would seem, just like Wormwood for farming or Wickerbottom/Winona for automatic setups. If character is good at something, you do it a lot and you mastered character, then no wonder this character would seem strong (even too strong).

Archived