The most OP character in don't starve together?

problem i see a lot when people choose a most op character they focus on boss combat and just about nothing else when people called wandas whip op i didn't get it since it seems the time you'd ever need that amount of dps is little to none it was just too situational i see the same thing happen with wendy/any other combat character a lot

1 minute ago, Dextops said:

problem i see a lot when people choose a most op character they focus on boss combat and just about nothing else when people called wandas whip op i didn't get it since it seems the time you'd ever need that amount of dps is little to none it was just too situational i see the same thing happen with wendy/any other combat character a lot

Both cause of the dmg and the range aspect, is a really strong weapon.

2 minutes ago, Dextops said:

because fighting is one of the most difficult things to learn,for surviving seasons or gathering food you only need 1 or 2 braincells and few atiemps

1 minute ago, IIHexxyII said:

Forgot to mention, Using poop pellets and celestial champion crown is easily great and free damage. 

a great way of wasting time xd

2 minutes ago, Dextops said:

yeah but its too situational for me for it to be considered op its a good weapon but like i don't get it

The range aspect makes it REALLY good when dealing with multiple enemies, making easier to kite them, such has the nightmare creature or hounds. 

Its the range that makes the weapon so good.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

because fighting is one of the most difficult things to learn,for surviving seasons or gathering food you only need 1 or 2 braincells and few atiemps

doesn't explain anything even if its hard that doesn't change the fact its situational and  if you learn to kite its both easy and situational 

Honestly I think the best nerf to Wendy would be strictly a PC only nerf- which makes THEM have to get within Spear Slapping Distance of Abigail to return her to her flower/heal her up.. PC players really take for Granted those of us using a controller have to get directly in the line of fire of Danger to do much of anything with Abigail.

Its a pretty impactful nerf, if I’m being honest about it.

We are just a few measly weeks away from the Wolfgang rework, and we will find out soon enough if he remains to be the most OP thing in Dont Starve Together or if the big guy will get some fun new abilities beyond just deal extra damage.

Just now, Dextops said:

doesn't explain anything even if its hard that doesn't change the fact its situational and  if you learn to kite its both easy and situational 

sure, people being afk in a costly teeth trap field doesnt explain anything

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

envy is a bad feeling

3 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

envy is a bad feeling

It’s not envy though I’m legit being serious- When Klei Nerfs or buffs a character they also have to take into consideration what that will do to people playing on Xbox/Playstation.

Like for YOU your able to use Abigail as this almost unstoppable killing Machine, for ME when I see Abigail low on health and don’t want her to “Die” I have to get right up near to her WHILE she is shredding that massive pile of spiders into a fine blend.

Putting ME in immediate danger the moment I return her to her flower.

We literally are playing two different games with this example.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s not envy though I’m legit being serious- When Klei Nerfs or buffs a character they also have to take into consideration what that will do to people playing on Xbox/Playstation.

Like for YOU your able to use Abigail as this almost unstoppable killing Machine, for ME when I see Abigail low on health and don’t want her to “Die” I have to get right up near to her WHILE she is shredding that massive pile of spiders into a fine blend.

https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/forum/160-dont-starve-together-xbox-one/

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I mean, they shouldnt nerf PC due to Console limitations. 

If anything they should find a way to solve the Console issue.

12 minutes ago, Dollmaker said:

I mean, they shouldnt nerf PC due to Console limitations. 

If anything they should find a way to solve the Console issue.

Or… Nerf Wendy on PC- because over on Xbox with a controller I can tell you as a Wendy Main that having to be near to Abigail to interact is a “fair & balanced” downside I literally feel like I need to be near to and protect Abbys Ghost, which is what the petal buff was intended to do anyway.

I can NOT stand away from all the danger and de-summon & heal her without being in danger myself..

Its actually FUN & Fitting of Who Wendy is not a nerf..

to clarify: It is not me being envious that the PC version can do something the console version can not.. because even IF the console version got KB+Mouse support I would want this nerf to apply to that as well..

Its fitting of the “twins” working together, you need to be near Abigail to utilize the petal buff so it just makes sense you also need to be near her to return to flower/heal up.

Best way to Nerf Wendy is to put her in some form of Danger.

Abigail on PC used to be like this (you had to melee smack her to unsummon her) and it was changed as part of Wendy's rework.

Very unlikely Klei will revert this QoL change for PC players for no better reason than: "cus consoles"

Just now, Terra B Welch said:

Oh boy it started out as a "who is the most OP character" thread, but now it's just devolved again into another "Wendy OP Pls nerf" thread as far as I can tell.

As for the actual thread title, I don't think anyone is OP, just either enjoyable to play or not enjoyable to play.

Yes but you can’t talk about characters being op or not without also talking about why those characters are op or not- personally I think Webber is pretty OP.

He has spiders that heal him, spiders with ranged attacks and spiders that glide on water to attack any and all current/future water threats. He can also completely avoid one of the games biggest enemy threats- Spiders.

Maybe it's not the point of the topic but I consider "OP" as a character that kinda breaks the rules and goes a little beyond of what "should" be possible, or just trivializes big chunks of the game itself.

Walter is FAR from OP, even though I liked your analysis because you valued the same things I considered originally about him, which sound amazing on pen and paper, but ultimately fail because half of his perks (the slingshot) end up being good for nothing in the mid and late game, so by the time everyone can get a beefalo (which is not much time honestly, Wickerbottom with a decent RNG can start domesticating one by day 2) you basically have an extremely frail and constantly hungry character with an increased stash. Even in the early game, the slingshot's usefulness is dubious, the chances of getting a krampus sack by killing birds with the slingshot are awfully low. And why does the character that already has a ton of storage space want to rush having more, in the first place? It's far more useful to invest time and energy into rushing bee queen with any other character, and getting bundles early.
Walter COULD work as an all around good character if his slingshot would evolve into a solid late game alternative to other weapons, mostly for crowd control. Currently it's lacking.

A true OP character IMHO (and I know a lot of people will be angry about this) is Wendy. 

Why Just her?

Spoiler

Because even though there are other super powerful characters whose perks you can exploit to seem OP, like Wanda, Wolfgang and Wickerbottom, they require strategy and certain knowledge of the game, whereas Wendy does not. Wendy does everything better than everyone else, except boss fighting, which is the only thing that would probably require you to get a bit deeper into the game's knowledge to do efficiently. I'm not saying she's bad to kill bosses, she just loses a big chunk of her edge.

- Hey, but Wendy can't collect!

Spoiler

Wendy can get  2 stacks of monster meat by telling a bad joke to her sister and dancing on a side. Every night.
All that meat hires the second best thing to chopping wood yourself: an army of disposable pigs. Which, if they survive the treeguards, you can later werepig and eventually make more pigs.
Stone is the only thing you probably need to collect yourself, but unless you are making some huge wall somewhere, or winona catapults, you don't really need stone that badly before bearger comes and starts doing all the collecting job anyway.

- What about food!

Spoiler

Wurts could suffer, but anyone else who doesn't mind about meat just can't starve with an okay noob Wendy. Use the silk to collect birds, use part of the monster meat for eggs, live off bacon and eggs (or meatballs if you are even cheaper). And that's like the lowest and most basic and wasteful level of her power, you can go further and quickly rush bees, pig farm, or other things, easier than with most other characters. And if you want to be Wurt friendly, plant a single flower where you live, passively kill a million butterflies with Abigail, and feed your friendly Wurt with butter muffins (or just with butterflies)

- Dude have you played Wendy against nightmare creatures? she sucks!

Spoiler

She has a sanity generating machine. It's not great, but it does it's job if you don't know how to handle sanity well yet or how to tame a beefalo.
If you want to take the next step into Wendy power, tame a beefalo, and fear shadows never again. With an ornery beef and Abigail you also gain a huge damage boost, plus you get a much more reliable damage against bosses and a huge speed, making a decent Wolfgang cosplay.

So why isn't Wolfgang on my "OP" list? cause he's not as versatile as Wendy, and besides being somewhat boring, it requires you to know how to generate huge amounts of food by yourself and store it, and know when to starve and when to feed, etc to survive in the long term, and most people don't know how to do that.
He's too simplistic, can reach to deal a lot of damage, but he's just not versatile. So he can rush most bosses, but after that point his true con is sort of sucking at every day existence, being a sad wimpy thing.
Wanda is a late game character and even then she's hard to master at the top of her power (which requires you to be almost dead). That's her con in itself so she's balanced IMO.
Wickerbottom seems to have been abandoned by most people and I still consider her one of the best (if not the best) characters to start the game as, but it requires a lot of elbow grease and knowhows of the game to get the best of her

Spoiler

EG:

• Getting a beefalo fully tamed in the first days of winter
  • Kickstarting a seed library for the farmers to have fun doing combos very early
  • Getting 50 dragonpies on command during the first autumn or even winter, without babysitting farms and in just a day's work
  • Quickly establishing automated ways to kill pigmen, hounds, spiders, treeguards or merms, without much work (although risky to pick up the loot)
  • Quickly getting treeguards on command (yes, not as effective as Woodie but she has an ace under her sleeve for that). She also has her own way to quickly get them dead without having to manually kill them one by one.
  • Etc

And much like what happens with Warly, learning all it takes to get the best of her is also a con in itself. The proof is that most people don't play her.

I wouldn't nerf Wendy though, fortunately there are plenty other ways to play the game efficiently and different than with Wendy. It's not like you need her to do stuff, but she certainly helps. Like every time I'm on a server with other people and we are about to kill bee queen, we check if there is a Wendy on. Every time spiders get out of control somewhere, we don't look for Webbers, we look for Wendys. Every time we are going to walk pass the shadow monkeys area, we hope a Wendy is around.  Every time we are off guard and a hound Wave is coming, we all get close to the Wendy on the server. So yeah.. Wendy does make a big difference.

TL;DR: Wendy comes from the portal almost at full power and requires minimum or no knowledge of the game to get the most of her. To me that's OP.

My vote goes to Wanda and by Op I mean the most balanced in the game.

Yeah some characters are proficient at one thing but the amount of time Wanda saves by cutting out travel time can be redirected to anything. On top of essentially saving time on all aspects of the game she is strong and covers every single base when it comes to fighting. She has an indestructible weapon which further saves time, she can farm nightmare fuel like no other and that fuels her weapon and gives her one of the best armors in the game. By being so incredibly versatile, you don't need any other character. 

Something else that usually isn't mentioned is how powerful her favorite food is. Honey is already one of (if not THE) most easily accessible foods in the game. By placing a stick as filler with the 3 honeys wanda is increasing the hunger value of every honey piece by about ~4 and adding 5 sanity to that. Yeah you have to go out of your way and cook it but with a large enough kitchen and instant teleporting to base its not really much of an issue. 

Wanda is basically the straight B+ student doing better at life than the student getting consistent A+  in one curriculum and then not getting their dream job because they weren't flexible enough, so now they're homeless because they were only ever good at one thing. 

3 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

totally agree. Wendy gameplay could be super fun since any other character has to manage a mob to perform but her numbers makes her boring for people who doenst enjoy afk play style and is toxic for the learning experience for newbies. Abi shouldnt have a shield outside of exlixir buffs since that kills the management mechanic

srly, klei just added buffs to her but keeping all her old numbers which were up because was easy to be killed

14 minutes ago, ShadowDuelist said:

- Dude have you played Wendy against nightmare creatures? she sucks!

Just get a tophat if you have troubles fighting off nightmares as Wendy. Fully negates night time sanity drain for her. And even if you will have to fight off nightmares, you can technically never fall beyond 15 sanity, cuz you can resummon Abigail for free sanity, if you're that sweaty about sanity that is, so theres that

Archived