The most OP character in don't starve together?

5 hours ago, Dollmaker said:

Wigfrid self heals when attacking. 

Wortox isnt p2w, you can play the game just fine with any character, Wortox also has disadvantages, mainly that he cant recruit either pigs and bunnies.

His dps is just slightly above average thanks to his hops, but Wolfgang and other dps oriented characters still beat him.

Both Wolfgang and WX can tank due to their high HP values (300 and 400 respectively) combined with healing food and armor, they are quite tanky.

Sorry but that guy is an immature egomaniac, youre better off watching other youtubers for DS content.

I kinda had the feeling you watched him due to the p2w thing with Wortox which im pretty sure he made a video about, im telling, he is a waste of time, with biased as hell takes. 

dude, sarcasm

11 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

but for that are creative mode ( mike, i know that in console there isnt console commands) no need to waste dev time to create a niche character played only for very young kids, people with problems or what ever when they can add a creative mode which, not only will cover your niche scenario, but also will give a easy way to practise stuff or experimentation for everyone, included console peasants

sure, they should keep adding characters aimed to different kind of players but i don't think that adding characters that trivialices parts of the game in a cheap way is a healthy thing and less when you arent playing solo. isnt fun outside of people that surrend before trying and isnt healthy for new players because they get stuck in a gameplay loop that lacks of many things that they would need to learn from 0

is good that a character trivialices something like how wanda trivialices kiting (even when the point of the character was high risk high reward...) or wigfrid that trivialices sanity and healing but isnt like they are inmune to being hit or to lose sanity or health, you need to work arround even if is a minimal effort

10 hours ago, Keenio said:

Yea you point makes more sense, but I still think the characters companions characters should be more separate, so no other character would make another useless.

no because i can chose max for wood farming or woodie. both are good but in different ways

same for other stuff. are wolf, wendy, wigfrif and wanda good for boss fighting? yes, there is a problem of them being good at fighting bosses? no, pick the one you like, each one has unique gameplay doesnt matter if they share one rol

is so different to fight a boss as wanda than as wendy. i see that as something very possitive for the game, makes the gameplay way more rich and increase playing time a lot if the player wanna experiment each playstyle

2 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

While one can afk kill spiders, bees and hounds, it's far more efficient in terms of time and resources saved to help Abigail

I know. I was exposing mostly the extremes, something that can be done should you want to. My point is that even if you don’t know anything about the game nor wanna play actively you can still achieve things that normally require some effort. If you do put a minimum effort she excels beyond what you would get with any other character.

It's not related to Wendy, everyone except Webber and Wortox can do that, and Wurt has alternative. Efficiency of the method depends on how far in the game one is, since multiple treeguards easily screw things over consistently (+ pigs attack them on sight, so ice staff won't work), also even if you hold lantern/feed glowberry to pig they just won't work at dusk, so it's fairly mediocle method of chopping wood. Anyway, Wendy doesn't have upsides in terms of basic resource collection, she is like Wilson in that regard, and majority of the cast is in the same situation.

The thing about Wendy and the pigs and what makes her different than any other character is the fact that she can amass monster meat easily and with very little or no effort compared to other characters. That gives you a permanent advantage of being able to recruit pigs whenever you want to, and use them in a disposable matter constantly without investing much time or sacrificing food sources for it, as you would with any other character. The fact that merms are better, or that Maxwell shadows are more efficient doesn’t change my point: she has a solid gathering skill, even if we do not consider that she gets spider items with no setup and with minimum time invested. Also Abigail allows you to keep the aggro of treeguards off the pigs for long enough so they don’t die as often as they would with most other characters using pigs.

About bees, it’s way faster, cheaper and safer to kill killer beehives with Wendy than with anyone else. Paired with easy access to wood and to bugnets you have clear advantages when it comes to quickly setting up bee boxes. Of course anyone can do it, she just does it faster, cheaper and safer. Killing bees to get honey is a horrible method IMO (unless you play in caveman or need honey quick to rush something )

Not portable, taking a lot of space (relevant for boat base) structure that has tiny range, which is why in order to take advantage of that sanity aura one needs to stand still hugging it;

I only mentioned that, again, showing the extremes, not something that is the best way to be done: an example starting with someone that has complete lack of knowledge of the game. I personally never use her sanity station thing, with a top hat In the early game I delay insanity as much as I want, slightly later on with a beefalo you can fight shadow creatures without much hassle or risk, and I heal sanity with cactii or any other method available to anyone else. 
my point is not to discuss whether she has cons or not, or if they are bad, my point is that they are extremely easy to bypass even if you are very new to the game and in the early game, without having to rush a boss or do any significativo effort, and in an intuitive way.

Like I said before I am not complaining about Wendy or Wendy players, nor I think she needs nerf or changed, I just think that she fits my definition of OP being a character that is intuitive to use, and achieves a high level power with minimum or no knowledge of the game. 

You can do most things you would need, faster than most characters and in some cases surpassing specialized characters. Learning the game with Wendy basically creates behaviors that will not work with most, if not all characters.

Of course they more experienced you are at the game the more her advantages show: tame an ornery beef early and get a huge bonus damage, rush bee queen in the first few days, clear the ruins pretty safely while also farming monkeys, use abi to manipulate bosses aggro or as temporary meatshield, sail the world relatively safer than most other characters, do Wagstaff quest in unparalleled speed and safety compared to other characters, etc.

Wendy is superior to the other characters in a larger spectrum of aspects of the game than the things each of the other characters are superior at. Thus she’s more versatile and easier to learn and use.

17 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

sure, lets make controls less confortable just because playing on console is a mess

imaging saying that abi's problems are being able to give a potion in a confortable way...this forum

Just because you didn't read what my reasoning is doesn't mean you need to be so aggressive.

8 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

My point is that even if you don’t know anything about the game nor wanna play actively you can still achieve things that normally require some effort

You are talking about a thing called "skill floor", which is quite low in Wendy's case, I can't argue with facts. I mentioned suggestions to show how I would change her if it was up to me because I think character's "skill floor" should be higher (although Klei may have another opinion on the matter), however, that doesn't mean one would want to stay at the very bottom of skill scale. I may be falling in typical human mind trap by being unable to imagine how one could not want to get better - since we take ourselves as a basis for the model of others - but I also watch what people are doing on pubs, what my steam friends who main Wendy do, and I don't see afk behaviour or intent to resort to it regardless of how experienced player is. I see Wendies dying from hounds, spiders, shadows because they don't know when to soothe/rile up Abigail and don't hugging sisturn - turns out, afk is not intuitive behavior and so easy/appealing to execute; I also see many Wendies trying to explore forest and caves, dying to weather, frogs, earthquakes, debth worms, shadow splumonkeys, horrors and nightmares, etc. - all of them are trying to learn, struggling, dying, reviving and trying again - but not resorting to afking, they are trying to see and do more, just like players choosing other characters do. I also see experienced Wendies who rush ruins (and then do them second time with cave stalker), make splumonkey farms friendly to other characters, can kill bosses on their own (not only Bee Queen and seasonal), survive winter in the caves while exploring, are competent even without Abigail, are participating in CC fight and trying to learn even more, etc. They don't afk, they don't let game to hold their hand and choose action; you didn't write it, but I saw other people calling Wendy's gameplay "requiring no more than 2 braicells" or something similar, which is nothing other than belittlement of Wendy players and it makes me sad (for my friends and myself, since Wendy is one of the 2 DST characters I like to play as the most).

As for pigs, it's important to mention what stage of the game we are talking about: early game with gathering wood as soon as possible or established farm with pigs and trees relocated and placed conveniently? For the former there are a number of issues, such as pigs panicking at dusk and therefore not following player (their light recognition radius is pretty small, so light source doesn't help much to gather and move a group of them), pigs not working at dusk under any circumstances, pigs attacking spiders on sight which paired with dusk panicking and stepping on the creep during day results in pigs speedrunning suicide pretty consistently, pig houses being spaced widely resulting in wasting precious daytime on running rather than chopping in order to gather at least 3-4 of them. For the latter one needs to take time and relocate everything, preferably not into a random spot but close to base, so the whole chopping process is delayed even further until one finds suitable location, and since time passes spawn chance of treeguard increases. I wonder if large enough group of pigs can mostly survive 3 treeguard spawn with the help of player. This issue is present even in ASAP pig chopping method, but at least chance is much lower. I see neither optimum, nor treeguard solution here, since even with ice staff/panflute pigs will attack treeguards again, one can distract only one treeguard at a time and successfully bait it's attacks (so neither of attacks lands on pig regardless of how bad it is at kiting), and even if there was a method of preventing pigs attacking treeguards on sight, treeguards would retarget pigs the moment they start chopping again or one tries to attack treeguard with pigs being still allied to player. If method is not viable, then it doesn't matter how easy for Wendy it is to use it (I need to test setups), but in case ASAP variation gathering 4-8 meat for 1-2 pigs is not an issue without Abigail.

About bees, it’s way faster, cheaper and safer to kill killer beehives with Wendy than with anyone else

Right, it is, but the difference is noticeble only if you need to kill a lot of them (no wonder considering dealing with groups is Wendy's speciality); that also applies to spiders and other farmable via Abigail mobs. But not always one needs to mass-farm something, in a lot of cases it's enough to set up 1-2 bee boxes, bring 1-2 star caller staves from the ruins (for years), bring 1 magiluminescence, etc. And if one doesn't mass-farm something, suddendly character upsides that help with that become much less valuable. For me spiders are something I want to mass-farm, but bees are not, for other person neither may be relevant, or both, or opposite of my preference. I guess that is the root of our disagreement there. Although if one wants to eat only honey or taffy and therefore rushes big honey farm in the first season or year Wendy's advantage is clear, I might want to try that for variety.

Another thing one need to consider is ratio of time spent on task to time played overall using results of this, and whether it is one-time thing. E.i. character abilities helping with one-time thing fall behind compared to abilities helping with repeating tasks, and the longer one plays, the more difference is, as well as the less difference is between help for one-time thing and no help at all with that one-time thing. Example: Wanda having better in any aspect dark sword for any fight, Wormwood for fast sowing and auto-tending if one wants to farm, Winona for fast crafting and constant stream of boss drops, Wendy for hound waves; on the opposite side we have Wolfgang with first boss kills (second and further rarely matter), Wendy with bee farm setup, Woodie with lunar island rush, Wickerbottom with crop seeds multiplication, Wickebottom with reduced science tier requirement. I'm not trying to say the former group is great and the latter is not, speeding up getting to lategame and other content is also important and adds variety (for that I enjoy playing Woodie from time to time); but it isn't nearly as OP as it can seem. That's one of my problems with Wurt by the way, I rarely play long enough to benefits of multiple merm guard armies outweight cost of initial setup; that is also the reason I don't build cobblestone roads. I just want to show my perspective of things.

Learning the game with Wendy basically creates behaviors that will not work with most, if not all characters

Is that a bad thing though? If character has unique playstyle it's inevitable, isn't it? Another example is Wormwood with available healing options, living logs on demand any time and auto-tending during bloom; Warly with damage modifier (which translates in less armor used, particular items used/not used or not needing to prepare health/sanity restoration for Fuelweaver), temperature managment dishes, ability to easily charge volt goats on beefalo without darts; Wickerbottom (auto)farms, Wanda's age mechanic (one doesn't need to learn about healing methods at all playing her, and at the same time it's +12 health every 2 minutes from the start, unlimited times), Willow's mad rush into 3+ nightmarebeaks, Webber's armorless Dragonfly tanking, Wolfgang's crafting scalemail mid-fight and using it against enraged Dragonfly in the same fight, etc.

achieves a high level power with minimum or no knowledge of the game

I don't know about you, but farming spiders for me is not "high level of power", and clearing ruins, activating moon storms and remembering Wagstaff's tools or killing Celestial Champion is not "minimum or no knowledge".

Pre-Rework Wendy required you to learn how to KITE not the enemy… but the Enemy INTO Abigail she didn’t just float around killing everything at your command you had to actually run things INTO Her- and that version of Wendy: Would teach players how to do things like run Gooblers, MacTusks and Koalephant INTO OTHER PLAYERS, or Rabbits INTO Baitless Traps.

Wendy DID teach the player something valuable.. but her Rework changed that to make her valuable as a Team Player.

but I just thought of something horrifying- maybe the most OP character in all of Don’t Starve history… was Warbucks, he existed once.. and then suddenly mastered the arts of being scrubbed from the record books.

15 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

Also I like @Wendy C. suggestion of Abigail requiring sacrifice of small non-stacking living thing in the inventory after her "death" (not each time one summons/unsummons her), but interestingly enough although people like to discuss how OP Wendy is (+ please nerf threads) these suggestions were completely ignored or received with even more complains instead (I hoped for interesting discussion). Oh well.

I appreciate the shout-out and was equally displeased with the reaction my post received. 

Archived