Tamed Beefalo should be milkable, change my mind

The wife and I were playing and discussing the lack of volt goats in our world (and worlds overall despite the more option) and we came up with the idea betweenst ourselves that a tamed beefalo should be milkable (and a stool and milk bucket be craftable to do so with).  Maybe 1 milk every few days or more if you keep your beefalo fed.  Also as a twist maybe depending on what you feed it you get sour, normal, or enriched milk each with different benefits.  Sour milk could instantly turn a pig into its were counterpart.

I am sure this is not an old idea, we were just musing whilst grumbling about the lack of renewable milk, and yes we know butter counts as a dairy product, we just think it would be a neat alternative. 

A better question is: Why do we have to kill the goats to get milk? Why do they have to be electrocuted and become more dangerous in order for milk to spawn in the first place? 
I have never seen an item of milk be legitimately harvested before. Simply because it's so absurd that no one has ever bothered to even try. 

Interesting idea considering the only dairy options that we get in the current state are only from charged volt goats and a rare chance from butterflies.

I do agree with @Mike23Ua that beefalos already give way too much (wool, poop, meat, horns, a ride, and free kids to murder).

Edit: I also agree with @Wendy C. that volt goats are a significantly more dangerous way of obtaining milk, since you have to risk some health, armor and skill to guarantee one unit of milk.

How about having a way to get some sort of milk, but from koalefants instead? Considering the fact that we have to spend so much time uncovering dirt piles, they ought to have something more than just meat, a trunk, and smelly gunk wherever they go. I can totally agree on less meat from killing them (from 8 meat to 6 meat or something), and when a certain craftable food item is dropped on the floor near them, they will be lured to eat it and drop one unit of milk (or maybe even 0.5 unit of milk so you have to invest more milk to make crockpot recipes that require them viable). I feel that this makes them more worthy of the time it takes to discover these huge yet cute trunkies. This is also a risk-free way of obtaining milk compared to zapped volt goats.

I dont see a problem with making beef milkable.

They would only be milkable during spring which is their mating season. Then you could only milk them at night or the whole pack becomes aggressive. Very similar to the way sea weeds currently work. 

Tamed beefalo should not be milkable though. They don't mate, so...

Dairy is the most valuable crockpot ingredient in the game, going into some of the most powerful crockpot recipes in the game. It is difficult to obtain because it is a prize to be sought after.

I'm all for Klei adding new dairy items to the game, but I am of the opinion they should all be similarly painful so as to keep the food group's status as a rare and valuable treasure.

Expanding on my previous post, here are a few idea's: 

* Moon Cheese, dropped occasionally by moonrock pengulls, so only available during winter on the lunar island.
* Nut Milk. Feed something to a rockjaw then kill it to get a Shark Nut, which can be mined for two rocks and a Nut Milk.
* Swamp Yoghurt, dropped by a unique mob found in the underground swamp to give us literally any reason to go in there.

2 hours ago, Wendy C. said:

A better question is: Why do we have to kill the goats to get milk? Why do they have to be electrocuted and become more dangerous in order for milk to spawn in the first place? 
I have never seen an item of milk be legitimately harvested before. Simply because it's so absurd that no one has ever bothered to even try. 

Killing a more dangerous version of a mob to get rewarded with a more valuable food item as a bonus doesn't seem like an absurd idea to me from a mechanical standpoint.

Meanwhile I don't understand why you can use milk instead of butter in all recipes, but waffles require butter specifically. Probably a remnant of pre-RoG vanilla DS where butter was the only dairy item and they just forgot to make waffles require "dairy" instead of "butter" all these years.

Just now, SonicDen220 said:

Killing a more dangerous version of a mob to get rewarded with a more valuable food item as a bonus doesn't seem like an absurd idea to me from a mechanical standpoint.

Meanwhile I don't understand why you can use milk instead of butter in all recipes, but waffles require butter specifically. Probably a remnant of pre-RoG vanilla DS where butter was the only dairy item and they just forgot to make waffles require "dairy" instead of "butter" all these years.

You can make ice cream with butter. It will be very creamy, but you can still do it. 
the Milk Made hat should not allow butter, that's dumb. 
Waffles requiring butter still makes sense because... they're waffles. You don't pour milk over waffles. 

I don't think having too little Volt Goats in a world is much of an issue now that Klei has made them renewable, but I definitely agree with some of the other users that there should be an easier way to obtain dairy products.

Maybe then will our balloon boy finally get to eat some crepes... :(

I just want an all-out Dairy Update. Electric Milk that actually gives you electric damage for 1-2 segments, some sort of structure that grounds the Electric Milk to remove its electric charge and churn it into Butter, some better way to get Electric Milk in the first place (my go to would be Electric Milkfish, cause I love that pun). Oh and some sort of... Cheesy Moonrock? Anything that uses the whole "moon is made of cheese" cartoon thing is good for me.

I dont get this obsession with milking animals every month 

We already have milk (farmeable in a veryv original way) and is only used in 3 recipes and only 1 is actually useful 

Instead of harrasing more animals klei could add more recipes that uses milk.

Also i dont think that it will be used. Ok, you get 1 milk per day or whatever but who will prefer that to just kill 5 goats, they will give you 10 meat, 5 milk and maybe horns

We start with beefalos and we end milking mumsy

9 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Ok, you get 1 milk per day or whatever but who will prefer that to just kill 5 goats,

I would! The feeling of keeping and caring for livestock would be more enjoyable to me both thematically and mechanically than electrifying and killing goats.

Archived