If Walter was a DLC character

What would you do if Walter was a DLC character?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you weave Walter for 2700 spools?

• Yes, I would weave Walter for 2700 spools.
    • No, I would not weave Walter.
  2. 2. Would you buy Walter if he was a DLC character?

• I'd buy the Essential Walter & all the skins that would be available on release
    • I'd buy just the Essential Walter with some skin packs
    • I'd buy the basic Walter Essential pack.
    • I would not buy Walter

I really liked JazzyGame's video depicting his journey with Walter on a Pinkalo (the beefalo's name was Pinky, I had to make a pun here even if it's bad), and the various perks and downsides that Walter has are easily manageable when I watched how people play him.

Sure, he's not the character on the top of my list, but I wouldn't mind getting him on random in a public server, and his playstyle is fairly straightforward even if I do not want to play the beefalo-taming style.

Back to the topic, if he was a DLC character, he's worth the 2700 spools just to fulfil my OCD of collecting every character in the game. :crushed:

Walter isn’t horrible, Portable storage chest/rideable majestic stead are good enough perks on their own, it’s his slingshot I really don’t like.. It’s just plain easier to avoid getting hit and just use Melee Weapons.

If Klei’s Design intent for Walter was to ride around on Woby using the Slingshot: Then they should probably Nerf the crap out of his Melee damage to the point that using ANYTHING But Woby+Slingshot would be not as beneficial towards playing as him.

But IF they made that change.. Slingshots would need to be buffed and made a little less terrible as they are now.

Absolutely not. Not for me.
His playstyle doesn't suit me and he feels really all over the place perk wise.
I don't think I'd offer spools/or money if he was DLC in his current state. Especially compared to say, Wurt or Wanda.

Also I'm pretty sure he was intended to be a DLC character originally. 
Something about a misconception of sorts made him free.
You can still see he's DYN'd and lacking a ZIP for modders to use like other DLC chars too.

I'd buy him just cause I love the game and what not. He's not a bad character Outside of his hunger and his sanity perk is one of the more interesting gimmicks in DST. Yes he's a loaded character with so much going on, but I don't think that makes him bad or overwhelming. The best way I can put it is that he's a Wild child.

klei shouldve payed us to have walter on our account

but seriously he brings absolutely nothing to the table; his portable tent is just a slightly better bed roll, woby is just a discount chester/beefalo hybrid, his slingshot is only really useful for when you want to snipe birds or get aggro on a koala, the campfire stories are more often than not annoying, and it'd probably be faster to just pick green caps than to sit around a campfire with him, and the faster cooking perk is nice, but already done by 2 other characters, and by the way, somehow being a boy scout means you're able to cook food at the same speed as a gourmet chef and a literal fire witch. (fun fact: walter can cook with willows lighter according to the wiki)

the only interesting part is the whole sanity thing, but generally sanity auras dont matter much outside of bosses, and (assuming bq crown doesnt give him sanity), actually hurts him when it comes to fights like ancient fuelweaver. ill probably never play a long term world with him, who knows though, maybe he'll get a refresh, even if a rework would be a better idea

I like the utility of him being a starter character for new players not hidden behind a paywall. His playstyle isn't "amazing" for veterans but he helps with a lot of the stuff that gets newbies killed. All of his mini perks kinda remind me of some advice I got from a veteran player when I wanted to start playing an mmo. "No one (mini stat increase) is gonna make or break you, it's the sum of all the tiny ones that will add up".

• The tent (and his corresponding tent perk) helps encourage new players to heal and promote a nomadic approach to explore more.
  • Woby (both big and small) gives extra breathing room for new players that struggle with inventory management while also not hogging Chester.
  • Not losing sanity at dusk/night, or from monsters is really useful considering how often new players go insane after a few days by nighttime alone.
  • Having a slingshot when you aren't confident in how to fight can allow a new player to still provide support for their team, as well as offer additional utility in hunting.
  • Trail Mix isn't very hard to make either, and can be a great introductory food as well.
  • Cooking food faster can be seen as a niche perk, but it's a useful bonus for mass-cooking berries and whatnot.

To reiterate, he isn't by any means a particularly powerful character for veterans; you're not going to compete for DPS like you would with any of the fighting characters, but he fits better for players who can count themselves lucky they killed a spider without getting hit.

He is interesting but almost impossible to play relaxed.

He lose sanity when he lost health, low sanity causes nightmare creatures spawn, he lose health when he lose sanity. This loop makes him really dangerous character, the only way to being able to play with him is carrying a lot of health and sanity items with him because he lacking on both of mechanic. If you get damage in first days, that makes you lost about two days for recovering yourself. The only way to playing well with him is getting beefalo fast as you could. I think this is bad because I can not understand why Walter is that weak when we have characters could clearly called OP, like Wigfrid and Wickerbottom. I believe Wormwood, Wurt and Walter must get small updates and stop being veteran player characters.

What could be do about Walter?

Increasing the range and speed of slingshot would make him focus on range weapons that I think it's a good thing. DST ranged weapons sucks mostly and making him stronger about ranged weapons would be nice.

I would be happy to see small but lifesaver updates for those character in next QoL.

Archived