Willow: The Good, the Bad, and the Tall, Dumb and Stinky bear.

Willow.

The lady with the bear and the real cool skins.

Nightmare fuel farming 101.

Join a public server as her to speedrun getting votekicked.

Let's go over Willow's upsides and all learn why the bear is TallDumb, and Stinky.

Chapter 1: The fire and its beauty.

Willow is a pyromaniac who lucked out in the gene pool and got immunity to fire. No need for a fire pit, just use dragonfly's lava pools!

This immunity to fire allows Willow to not have to worry about burning her hands, since she'll never get burned, allowing her to cook food twice as fast, provided it's on a fire, and not in a pot.

Willow also gains sanity from being near fire, so get Glommer as close as possible to that fire pit for a nice sanity station! Willow also gets 1.2 more sanity gain and drain from all sources.

Make a lighter for your friends, for them to throw it away when they get a lantern! Willow can make a lighter (she starts with it too) that lasts a long time, but can't be refueled. She can cook on it too (iirc so can the chef and the scout), so don't worry about eating raw meat!

Willow also gets a small overheat resistance, which unfortunately means Willow in winter is like a full beard Wilson in summer.

Chapter 2: The Tall, Dumb, and Stinky bear.

Alright, so imagine if you went bananas. I'm talking totally wacky here. Just going totally zaney. You, being a Willow main, drop your teddy bear, and it kicks the hell out of anything you see that may or may not be caused by insanity. Imagined it? Ok, that's Bernie. 

Willow starts with her teddy bear Bernie, who is equipable for 60 insulation and a small sanity gain, at the cost of durability over time. When you drop him, however, Bernie does nothing. When someone who is not Willow is insane in the nearby area, Bernie does a neat jig and probably calls the moms of the shadow monsters fat, making them aggro on him.

When Willow is insane near Bernie, Bernie becomes BERNIE! (hereby referred to as big bodacious b). Big Bodacious B. is capable of fighting back against the nightmare monsters, claiming he knows their mom on a very personal level, but instead of being a preteen cod gamer, he has the strength to back it up. He does, however, have a health meter. That goes down when he gets hit.

Big Bodacious B. makes farming nightmare fuel easy, since you just have to drop a couple bernies (only one Big Bodacious B. may be active per Willow but all bernies can activate regardless of Willow's presence iirc) and let them tank the nightmares, before going near a fire when you want to sanity up. This results in a lot of nightmare fuel, since you don't gain sanity when Big Bodacious B. goes on a mass murdering spree, but when you vanquish your nightmares, you gain sanity.

Big Bodacious B. activates at high enlightenment in the lunar island, and does not fight gestalts. He can also be healed with a sewing kit when he's in the inventory.

Chapter 3: What would I change?

Let Willow craft a special item that lets her activate Big Bodacious B. at high sanity, or deactivate him at will. Also make Bernie turn into a new berniemon evolution, Enlightened Bernie, when on the lunar island. Not only when enlightened.

Finally, change fire damage. Make it a bit more powerful, and give Willow a fire weapon that works better the lower sanity she has, making her be at her best when backed into a corner, as shown in her short.

Let Willow extinguish things that are on fire, and make mobs drop items that are on fire instead of ash when they die on fire. This gives the fire staff, dart, and theoretical Willow fire weapon an actual use for combat.

Finally, Bernie, Enlightened Bernie, and Big Bodacious B. are both tall and short, with one real evolution and one theoretical evolution being tall, and one being short. Majority vote means Bernie is tall, dumb because he has no known sanity level therefore having zero brain stat, and stinky because bathing in fire is not a real bath.

Alright, that's all. Have a good one.

Willow no being able to activate BERNIE! on the lunar island is a huge bummer.

Willow cant use the enlightened crown and BERNIE! at the same time which I find unfair.

An item that allows her to activate BERNIE! at will would be cool (outside of insanity inducing items).

Maybe Willow could place the shadow atrium inside bernie.

So uhm yeah- Willow has a lighter that instantly cooks foods for her- Bernie is tied directly to how sane or insane Willow is: And therefore- Klei expects everyone to know how to use that lighter to instantly cook the many sanity gaining & losing items (most commonly mushrooms) 

Having a way to deactivate him when his entire gameplay is designed around your sanity would just be confusing…

I also highly disagree with calling Willow the Pyromatic, because I’ve never seen her actually be able to Jean Gray Aka Phoenix from X-men and hold a Floating fireball above her hand- And if she COULD she wouldn’t have ever needed a lighter, or a torch or heck even a lantern because well uhh hello! Kinetic powers to make her own floating miniature sun orb to follow her around.

Bernie once he dies can be repaired outside of Willows inventory just walk over to the dead stuffed doll with a sewing kit or Winona’s duct tape in hand to restore him instantly back to 100% durability.

What this means to anyone who actually cares to utilize it? You can craft multiple Bernie dolls, sit them in a circular pattern a safe distance around a boss like Bee Queen or set them early and lure Deerclops/Bearger to them later.. And as you said when ONE Bernie Dies another nearby will Enlarge into BERNIE which gives You time to sneak past the distracted bad guys and use a 100% repair on your downed Bernie.

I absolutely love Willows rework & if they changed anything about her at all: it should be letting her lighters be refuelable with the very same nightmare fuel she so easily amasses in Bulk.

If Klei was to Re-rework Willow into an actual pyromaniac instead of what she is now- And just more like the “Fire Immune” Then they would also probably need to remove her lighter because it wouldn’t make any sense to have it anymore..

Bye Bye cool lighter skins I paid for thanks for existing for a little while. But since Bernie’s Large & Small forms are tied to how sane Willow is- They would have to give her magic floating fireball powers the ability to instant cook foods.

Thats LITERALLY Why her lighter has that odd little perk.

Now in final conclusion- Willow in all her trailers, animations or loading screen vignettes is always seen holding some source that STARTS fires- Torch, Lighter etc.. All of those instantly become non-canon when she could have just X-Man powers summoned a floating flaming ball of light above her hand.

7 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Willow no being able to activate BERNIE! on the lunar island is a huge bummer.

Willow cant use the enlightened crown and BERNIE! at the same time which I find unfair.

An item that allows her to activate BERNIE! at will would be cool (outside of insanity inducing items).

Maybe Willow could place the shadow atrium inside bernie.

Personally it's always bugged me that Bernie! doesn't help Willow when she's under attack by shadow creatures only when she meets the sanity criteria since that's really his main purpose. 

We. Need. More. Willow threads.

I don't get why having a whole fire gimmick and having no fire based abilities. The rework felt not great but I feel like Bernie's pretty dope. Unlike other reworks or new additions me as a cripplingly old Willow coven main I just look at others and say "mmm, wow, where's my powers..."

Saying again, Bernie is nice, but fire thing and no fire abilities for Willow is like no?? why nothing more?? :(

12 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

*snip*

Pyromaniac doesn't mean "ungodly fire powers", it means an obsession with fire. Willow is a pyromaniac because she is obsessed with fire, as shown by her quotes and her gaining sanity not because she has super powers, even though that would be super cool.

Perhaps the fire weapon could be some sort of flaming sword?

Have it warm you and set anyone who doesn't have fire immunity (from scale male or playing Willow) on fire, perhaps. This would give scale male an actual use outside of looking cool.

Maybe make it a light source, like the morning star. If it is refuelable, make it take twigs and grass as kindling?

I'm not the best at balance. Feel free to share any ideas (and tell me why this is a bad idea).

TBH, I wish fire in combat was better than it was. The problem with fire in combat isn't that it's not good, it's actually great in terms of damage.

It's that loot burns. If Willow had a way to prevent loot from burning, I feel like that would be a very solid addition to her kit.

1 minute ago, Starlogy said:

TBH, I wish fire in combat was better than it was. The problem with fire in combat isn't that it's not good, it's actually great in terms of damage.

It's that loot burns. If Willow had a way to prevent loot from burning, I feel like that would be a very solid addition to her kit.

An idea that I always liked it is items should drop while burning, so you could save the loot if you had waterballoons, or a watering can.

3 hours ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

We. Need. More. Willow threads.

I don't get why having a whole fire gimmick and having no fire based abilities. The rework felt not great but I feel like Bernie's pretty dope. Unlike other reworks or new additions me as a cripplingly old Willow coven main I just look at others and say "mmm, wow, where's my powers..."

Saying again, Bernie is nice, but fire thing and no fire abilities for Willow is like no?? why nothing more?? :(

Because as I was trying to point out, and as people later corrected me on- Willow doesn’t actually HAVE any fire based abilities, she is only Immune to fire.. not capable of summoning fireballs with her Farts (old school Mortal Kombat Joke by the way..)

What I meant to say with my post is Willow isn’t a Telekinetic Super Powered Mutant: She can’t float into the air and gain flaming wings to fly around the map like Woodie in Goose mode.

Instead: Willow always needs a Fire Source to Create a Fire.. (Lighter, Torch, Match etc..) So her only power related to fire is that she’s Immune to it, and NOT capable of summoning it out of thin air.

That isn’t to say that Klei won’t eventually take her down this path: Fire Immunity is usually the start to Telekinetic Fire controlling super powers after all- BUT they would have to explain it away through LORE & Progression and by probably unlocking some hidden knowledge inside of Willow..

It just makes needing a lighter at all and all her current vignettes obsolete.

Now as for my OWN Suggestion.. I would like to have Willow be able to light large Bernie on fire with her lighter.. and enemies burning Bernie comes into contact with takes Damage over Time from a magical fire (possibly from the lighter itself being magical) that DOES NOT Spread all over the map destroying everything in sight but rather only deals DoT to the mobs Burning Bernie attacks. Burning Bernie would obviously lose durability faster but the extra damage he deals while burning makes up for that.

This also fully explains the Burned scorched marks all over him.. so uh yeah.

Archived