I think the new moon requirement to summon the shadow pieces should be removed

controversial opinion time

I do think the new moon requirement in order to start the shadow pieces fight is thematically pretty cool, but gameplay wise I find it to pretty obnoxious for a couple of reasons:
-A new moon only occurs every 2 and a half-ish hours and only lasts for a few minutes (some new moon nights only last 2 segments), meaning that outright forgetting to start the fight (or getting there a few seconds too late and missing the fight entirely) happens way too often and when it does your only option is to wait for the next new moon which is another 2.5 hours; this pretty much ends up encouraging not leaving the vicinity of the sculptures at all during the day of the new moon just so you don't make a tiny mistake
-The requirement feels kind of cheap and unjustified in the sense that it limits player flexibility by not letting them fight the shadow pieces when they consider most appropriate

I think allowing the shadow pieces, or at least the ones from naturally spawning sculptures and not those from the potter's wheel, to be summoned during any night (except for full moons where regular clockworks will spawn) would be a positive change overall as it wouldn't punish players so harshly for not sticking to a super strict schedule, and it would enable more flexibility for players who want to obtain a shadow atrium early on while also removing some of the awkward backtracking that occurs when you repair the sculptures only to have to come back much later for the actual fight (instead you could start the fight shortly after you're done repairing them which is a lot more fluid)

The only negative consequence of this change I can think of is that an unknowing player could potentially start the fight without other players wanting so, but in my experience people almost never repair the shadow pieces until they have clear intentions to fight them shortly afterwards so I doubt this would be too much of a problem

tl;dr allow the shadow pieces to be summoned during any night and not just new moons

I can sympathize with either missing a new moon, or having to camp out for a day or so before the new moon to be sure you don't miss the fight.  It really sucks having to wait for the next new moon, seasons change etc.  But I'm not sure I care enough to change it...  You only need to do the fight once before you can craft your own area to do it in, and I don't think its fixed to prevent farming 20+ tier 3 knights so you only need to do the fight twice really...

I think it is fine.  No need to change it.  The purpose of battling the shadows is to get the atrium for the Fuel Weaver.  The Fuel Weaver can only be killed once every 20 days.  If you have another reason to battle the shadows, I suggest making a shadow farm.  Put the knights and a bishop on a boat.  Kill the rook.  Use the catapults to kill the knight and bishop.  You can get the nmf, armor, swords and atriums.  Ofc that is after the first kill.   Fyi the first kill can be done on a full moon and you just battle the clockwork instead of the shadows.  The blueprints drop.  Make your potterswheel and you can battle them anywhere you want.

guess I can understand the idea of missing it and then having to wait another 20 days, and how frustrating that would be. However, personally I can't say that's ever happened to me.

Guys am I crazy but I SWEAR I saw a video of funny Edgy Rick fails and one time this EXACT thing happened to him. He kept telling another player to hammer the statues but it "was not hammering". The problem was the player was actually trying to use a hammer instead of a pickaxe on the statues because Edgy Rick kept saying "hammer it". I swear I saw this on YouTube but I can't find it.

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

You only need to do the fight once before you can craft your own area to do it in

Heck even if you missed the New Moon event, you could do it during a Full Moon to spawn the clockwork variants and get the same sketches if you wanted to. I do it on a Full Moon personally because in the early game I like the extra gears and, ironically, I love using the respective statues as decor :D.

I like timed events. Very exhilarating.

Do I have everything I need?

Oh god wheres my sun caller, oh its on the floor.

Oh no where's my hammer, oh sh- I need to run back to base! Oh no wait I'm using a pickaxe.

Ok,ok, I need to craft a few helmets...

Really fun times hahahaha. 

41 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I like timed events. Very exhilarating.

Do I have everything I need?

Oh god wheres my sun caller, oh its on the floor.

Oh no where's my hammer, oh sh- I need to run back to base! Oh no wait I'm using a pickaxe.

Ok,ok, I need to craft a few helmets...

Really fun times hahahaha. 

you described every minute i play dont starve

Maybe if the shadow pieces could also be summoned when the moon is exactly half lit and half dark--the quarter moons. Then there could be three chances per moon cycle instead of one, but you'd still have to wait for just the right time, so it wouldn't be too easy. Just you wouldn't have to wait quite so long to try again if you miss it.

I do like that thing being as the timely event personally to need to kill them only on new moons, but I see that it's annoying to get the blueprints in that way too. In terms of challenge it's an interesting and unique one to be right on time like Glommer's statue, giving you special access to powerful item to be used to kill a bigger and more later important boss.

Don't forget that you only need to obtain prints once and can just bulk kill a bunch of shadows with boat/gunpowder method. Depends on your gameplay style resetting ruins and obtaining the heart is what game wants you to consider to do later.

19 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

...it limits player flexibility by not letting them fight the shadow pieces when they consider most appropriate

It should be "when they consider most appropriate" when player bends around the rules set by environment, not demand environment bending backwards to player's whim. Even if DST isn't a pure "uncompromising survival" experience, it doesn't mean we need even more compromises towards "playing social-tea games with very-relaxed friends in a Sandbox". The current Moon-phase mechanic is not only interesting lore-wise, but also presents time-tied events, aka the responsibility of a schedule. Only requires to not be distracted by randomness too much. And plays a bit more into the (forgotten) Survival facet of the game. Equilibrium.

It would be weird if missing out opportunity in a game focused on time management didn't result in having to wait for that opportunity again. And you said it yourself that you forgot it, its not like something stopped you. It's like demanding glommer to spawn every night besides full moon

18 hours ago, Owlrus said:

I do it on a Full Moon personally because in the early game I like the extra gears and, ironically, I love using the respective statues as decor :D.

This is a minor nitpick, but you actually do get gears from new moon statues. 2 gears from each statue will drop on the ground, so the only thing you lose out on is the purple gem from the Bishop. 

16 hours ago, Dextops said:

but its only purpose is to serve to be a pain in my ass

That's why DST strategies should revolve around having as small ass as possible (avoiding over expanding bases so they won't burn, not overfilling boats in order to avoid losing the everything onboard).

And the time-based events are pretty fine as they are. People complain about the world generation not having enough variety while wanting to be able to relocate every single resource to their base, plus having access to all bosses all the time. xddd The logic of this community is very strange sometimes.

Personally I find the mechanic that the shadow pieces can only be activated during new moon fun.

I think needing to fight the shadow pieces on new moons is fine. There isn’t much reason to rush them, so it’s not like having to wait for them is that big of a deal. If you are waiting for them, there’s always something else you can do to pass the time.

22 hours ago, Guille6785 said:

this pretty much ends up encouraging not leaving the vicinity of the sculptures at all during the day of the new moon just so you don't make a tiny mistake

Because you just need to visit the pieces once at night, I’ve found I’m usually able to fumble around with whatever I want to do and have plenty of time to go to the shadow pieces and begin the fight. This really isn’t that bad at least compared to the moonstone, where if the player doesn’t start the event as soon as it becomes night they run the risk of not having enough time to finish the event.

Archived