What's better, in your opinion, for starting a server you plan on playing long-term (1,500+)?

Which would you choose?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Survival or Endless?

• Survival.
    • Endless.
    • I don't know/I don't care/Other.

I've been spending the last few days prototyping a base design I want to work on in a world that isn't a test server and I can't decide whether or not I want to make it Survival or Endless. With Survival death can be permanent, so in a sense I have to take things more seriously and I earn everything from food to life itself; but I also run the risk of losing everything if I mess up, even past day 1,500+. With Endless I don't have that risk of losing everything permanently, but that also means there is no risk involved in anything because death is not an escape and getting anything is essentially half-earned. What are your guy's thoughts?

I love Endless a lot because it allows me to play the game at a far slower pace and I don't need to setup the stuff so I can actually survive before day 300 instead of just building decorations around.

I could still reasonably do the farms and all at first Autumn, I know how to get them and do them, but I just like building.

Survival is more in line with the original don't starve, and in a way it's a somewhat forgiving hard-core mode. 

If you plan to really care for the world then endless may give you some peace of mind, though I admit, world ending in survival does bring in some fun

I primarily do endless for the slow resource renewal of grass tufts/saplings/berry bushes. While death can certainly be cheesed thanks to using the portal to respawn (which I just don’t use), being able to have grass/twigs/bushes respawn means that no matter how catastrophic an accident is that causes you to lose every grass turf and sapling Ever, you will eventuality get a slow supply of them. 

I prefer endless myself because, in single-player Don't Starve, you're instantly teleported to a touchstone you've activated at dawn the following day when you die, even if you were in the caves and it was on the surface. In Don't Starve Together, if you're not close enough to the touchstone to reach it before the timer runs out, or if dawn is too far off for you to be safe from darkness when you revive before the timer runs out, then you just lose the world, even if you prepared just as much as you would have in single-player Don't Starve.

To preserve the challenge of the game, even when I play an endless world, I just don't use the spawn point to revive, I only revive with things I've prepared or found already. So the only difference is the lack of the very short and strict timer.

idk, I feel like my game is "fake" if I do endless, make worldgen changes, or use rollback for any reason.  I don't play public, just me and sometimes friends.  I've never had a 1k+ days world though, so there you go XD (although often after 300-ish days I just delete the world and restart, I don't mega base)

To me, it doesn't matter, i prefer endless because i won't need to shut down the server every time i go afk, but if i ever die normally without a life giving amulet or touchstone close by, i would just delete that world.

Also it would really demotivate me if i played endless like it is meant to be played since it feels like any new player with no knowledge about the game can start and survive for as long as he wants if he just played and revived on it, it doesn't present any challenge.

I've played on both survival and endless for 1000+ days many times, and all my endless runs were practically similar to survival, i just always see the game as if i am in survival and play accordingly.

One more thing to add is that the resources that endless mode respawns, i've never really lost them in 5000+ days on survival worlds, if you know how to preserve them, it shouldn't really make a difference.

I think Survival for mega base is just free anxiety, if you like that then stonks I guess?

When you know how to do stuff in this game you usually die bc you were lazy or greedy, in which case you probably will have a LGA or a Meat Effigy ready to go. If you always get greedy and decide on not taking the precautions to safekeep the world you deserve to lose it, but if you always play it safe might as well play on Endless and save yourself some years of your life.

6 hours ago, Pruinae said:

I think Survival for mega base is just free anxiety, if you like that then stonks I guess?

When you know how to do stuff in this game you usually die bc you were lazy or greedy, in which case you probably will have a LGA or a Meat Effigy ready to go. If you always get greedy and decide on not taking the precautions to safekeep the world you deserve to lose it, but if you always play it safe might as well play on Endless and save yourself some years of your life.

Adrenalineeee

I always play in survival even with my noob friends just because i always forget there is the endless option, i would use it to play with my friends so the world becomes more relaxed since some of them are bone shards factories xD

Archived