What mob would you like tu see as a moon-monster?

14 minutes ago, hot focaccia said:

They are digusting?

Some people are turned off by them, which I think is understandable, theyve got literal organs and insides showing.

I personally love them, but I can understand why others might not like them.

40 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Uh, no. It really was a problem, there were many threads where people exclaimed their distaste for the lunar creatures.

I'd wish Klei would continue to make mutated creatures but implement a filter setting to make them look not as disgusting for those who didnt like the mutated monsters, but oh well.

I did remember someone talking about it but tell me, in a general view, you think like 80% of the community didn't like the idea? The threads about their distaste were so little in comparison on those who loved and still love since, as you see, are still made it.  

Just to point I'm not against the filter idea either, after all it was discussed to death and there is no problem. I'm angry and disappointed from klei for leaving the idea (without a official statement in a patch or other btw) as all 50% of mechanics and ideas in the game, especially if this concept apart from being the coolest, it has so much potential in a gameplay and lore perspective. 

This way of thinking is a full killer for creativity and future ideas.

Just now, Hornete said:

Some people are turned off by them, which I think is understandable, theyve got literal organs and insides showing.

I understand but I feel like making a filter would be giving klei work that would be pointless because isn't the reason why the mobs are spooky because you are meant to think "Oh no, moon penguins. So spooky, this place is dangerous so I gotta be careful".

Oh well, I just want Klei to have creative freedom instead of having to not do something because a few people disliked what they made

Anyway to answer the thread, I would like to have moon tentacles on the moon island swamp instead of regular tentacles.

Next moon monster: When a pig/werepig dies, it mutates much like the hounds. The result is a shambling mass of feral, half living/half dead, visceral being. It could crawl/drag itself with vigor towards anything, almost desperately, and attack with a whip-like AOE attack using some of its viscera. Killing it would drop a "Rotting Haunch" which, when combined with a hambat at a celestial station, would create a weapon similar to the thulecite club but weaker in exchange for hambat durability.

14 minutes ago, hot focaccia said:

I understand but I feel like making a filter would be giving klei work that would be pointless because isn't the reason why the mobs are spooky because you are meant to think "Oh no, moon penguins. So spooky, this place is dangerous so I gotta be careful".

It's not just "Ew haha that's so gross!", I should have clarified, some people are genuinely just triggered by this kind of gore and the such and have phobias.

I dont know how that sort of genuine fear feels like, but I do know that I care enough about my fellow human beings and I don't think it hurts to have a simple filter setting.

Atleast we have settings when making a world to disable them, and hey, we got the freaky mutated birds! So I think we will still be getting mutated mobs, just not very gorey ones with organs and insides showing unfortunately.

Mutated tentacles would be cool to see!!! Could be inspired by lovecraftian horrors like Cthulu :smile:

7 minutes ago, Hornete said:

It's not just "Ew haha that's so gross!", I should have clarified, some people are genuinely just triggered by this kind of gore and the such and have phobias.

I dont know how that sort of genuine fear feels like, but I do know that I care enough about my fellow human beings and I don't think it hurts to have a simple filter setting.

Atleast we have settings when making a world to disable them, and hey, we got the freaky mutated birds! So I think we will still be getting mutated mobs, just not very gorey ones with organs and insides showing unfortunately.

Mutated tentacles would be cool to see!!! Could be inspired by lovecraftian horrors like Cthulu :smile:

If i'm not mistake not even the "safe" infected lunar creatures will come again because return of them kinda ended? But i could be wrong.

Just now, Milordo said:

If i'm not mistake not even the "safe" infected lunar creatures will come again because return of them kinda ended? But i could be wrong.

It depends on what Klei's going to do next, the next content update will likely just be focused on the ocean again, after that, well it's sort of up in the air, but they will be doing another story arc I believe.

I kinda have a serious question I want to ask EVERYONE, including people who work at Klei.. as we all know DS & DST are both games rated 13+ which makes it a Teen rated game.

Now- The question I want to ask is fairly simple but I’ll get to it in a moment: Other Teen rated games are FORTNITE and SMITE.. and Those two games share something in common with DST: That “thing” they share in common? SKINS.. Specifically the ones Players buy and can use- There are some highly creepy, sometimes even quite disturbing skins in both FORTNITE AND SMITE.

Klei got a few “Complaints” about horror mobs and they decided to drop them.. that’s all fine and Dandy (I guess?) but my question is this- You can CENSOR your own game by ceasing production of certain mobs or content that certain people may find offensive, BUT.. You can not censor the SKINS people choose to buy and use.. HOW do you censor people’s skin choices?? 

Here’s just a few examples (because I’m a freak and enjoy the creepy Halloween themed skins) Disclaimer- Do not click the spoiler if you do not wish to see mildly disturbing content.. you’ve been warned.

Spoiler

FE21C9EF-816F-44FC-898D-2532DEE19D14.thumb.jpeg.82b5789262bd64838386b8b08d409670.jpegAED9AF47-7513-48A2-8010-DD574F8A0B3C.thumb.jpeg.e345dfad5f63eb6e3a418d5fa057e651.jpeg60475755-5D61-4ABE-832C-44E294835634.thumb.jpeg.7f29da3df613ef696b243421dfcce7fb.jpeg48497D98-F443-4F69-AE20-CDBCCD45740E.thumb.jpeg.7c24adc2d0d6396f3132bb2b344f1059.jpegA764E718-A595-44B2-B76F-79C714454923.thumb.png.f5cdb7d08ae93041a71327b6676ddb75.png94697259-133E-487F-AC49-0941FF7D6EA5.thumb.jpeg.03e1e130e795a1cc2dbd4efd704bf336.jpeg

Okay KLEI so you Cease development of Lunar Horrors, Thats YOUR decision, But… How do you control the skins players are using huh? How do I know if ANY or all of the above examples fright/offend people???

And What (if anything) can YOU or those other game developers do about it?

You can go through the trouble of maybe adding a filter so other players don’t SEE these skins I am using… but Fortnite doesn’t do that, Apex Legends doesn’t do that, Smite doesn’t do that… and I’m pretty sure DST doesn’t do that (currently) either..

If you want my personal opinion: It would be a waste of development time and resources put to better use Elsewhere to try and provide a censor for “every little thing about your game.” Just to cater to a particular type of crowd..

If that’s something YOU as developers want to do then go ahead, I nor no one else on these forums can convince you otherwise, however- The above spoiler images are just examples of how you can censor your game, but unless you start pulling offensive skins or add a filter completely out the game… you can NEVER Censor what skins people use.

Thank You, just a little food for thought- even though lunar horrors have gotten the Axe & that idea is dead in the water- I felt the undying urge to point out that You can’t censor “Spooky Skins” Well you can… but it’s be a waste of time doing so in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Snip

Hide contents

What in the WORLD are you talking about. No one even mentioned skins, nobody wants to censor skins, Klei are not trying to suppress your skin usage; what even brought this on??? This is a thread about people's ideas for Lunar Mob Mutations, is it not? 

15 minutes ago, BezKa said:

What in the WORLD are you talking about. No one even mentioned skins, nobody wants to censor skins, Klei are not trying to suppress your skin usage; what even brought this on??? This is a thread about people's ideas for Lunar Mob Mutations, is it not? 

Yes, mutations that got the axe because people found them to be disturbing.. Klei ceased production of the lunar horror mobs saying they didn’t fit with the feel & direction of the game. They even added a filter so you can turn the lunar mobs off if they disturb you.

But my entire point: Was they can censor or cease the work they started with Lunar Mobs, but how do they censor the skins and belongings PEOPLE choose to buy and use?

What if someone found the recent wormhole skins or the newest Chester skin disturbing? Would they add a censor filter for every individual skin in the game so people who find X Character skin or X Belonging set disturbing?

Personally I would LOVE a Moonrock Pengull skin for critters from the pets den- but with Klei straight up ceasing production of Lunar horror content and providing players a filter to disable them… I think the odds of me getting a Moonrock critter skin are Astronomically low.

BUT skipping to my point: If I Am the host of the World- Lunar Horrors are toggled as ON and to happen more often, people who find that offensive or disturbing or more than welcome to leave and host their own server without them… 

So really adding the filter to disable them only effected whoever was host- IF those people joined my world they would still be bothered by these lunar abominations or the character/belonging skins I like to buy and use.

26 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Klei ceased production of the lunar horror mobs saying they didn’t fit with the feel & direction of the game.

They didn't, though. Both Moonstorm birds are body horror themed: Moonblind crows are crows with their feathers bleached white and faces peeled back showing the meat inside, and misshapen birds are robins with their bodies physically rotated while all their other parts are still firmly in place.

The lunar mutated body horror mobs didn't ever stop, they just were not relevant for a chunk of updates.

They even added a filter so you can turn the lunar mobs off if they disturb you.

Iirc those world settings were added long long after Turn of Tides, and contained basically everything from RoT up to that point, not just the body horror.

What if someone found the recent wormhole skins or the newest Chester skin disturbing? Would they add a censor filter for every individual skin in the game so people who find X Character skin or X Belonging set disturbing?

This is a slippery slope argument based around imaginary people who might find a thing disturbing. This is a conversation that should be had if someone genuinely says that the new worm hole skins are making it difficult for them to play the game, rather than used as an argument that real people should be disregarded in favor of the content that you want being in the game.

20 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

This is a slippery slope argument based around imaginary people who might find a thing disturbing. This is a conversation that should be had if someone genuinely says that the new worm hole skins are making it difficult for them to play the game, rather than used as an argument that real people should be disregarded in favor of the content that you want being in the game.

I mean I'm sure there is someone who disturbed by the idea of wormholes, but that is neither here nor there. I feel that the idea of horror itself is supposed to make you disturbed and terror inducing, but that idea is very subjective. One person might be disturbed by bloody meat, one might be disturbed by a shadow covered coat rack, and one might be scared of people watching them from their street corner which is all perfectly fine. The problem is that making content that would normally be classified as "Horror" also falls in this pit trap of some people being scared and some people aren't, making it hard to make designs as you never know how your core fanbase is going to react as everyone is different.

However, despite this, I do think that a filter might be appropriate. While game like Five Nights at Freddy's and Alien Isolation are scary, that is the point of the experience, DST isn't. It is sort of like a blind side if you weren't expecting it since a majority of the rest of the game's content isn't focused on body mutilated monsters. While it might be a severe moot stance to take if this were like Saw, where horrific situations and tortures are essentially the series' bread and butter thus being in severable from the series as a whole without basturdizing it, DST is so not imbued with that type of content that I can sympathize that people actively avoid that part of the game as it is unlike the rest.

Though when it came with the mutated designs, they could always go to the designs that are more eldritch then body horror. An example being a tentacle but the suction cups are instead eyes and Beefalo that slowly have their fur be replaced by the shells of their horns. I think diversifying the types of horror might help explore how the moon's mutation powers work and help make the moon storm feel like it's actively warping the world around you the longer it goes on instead of just having "hah the moon now on forever".

59 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

They didn't, though. Both Moonstorm birds are body horror themed: Moonblind crows are crows with their feathers bleached white and faces peeled back showing the meat inside, and misshapen birds are robins with their bodies physically rotated while all their other parts are still firmly in place.

The lunar mutated body horror mobs didn't ever stop, they just were not relevant for a chunk of updates.

Sir, you're right. 

I mighty re-consider all of what i said completely wrong and garbage. Wow, i never analyzed so close these two birds, especially the mutated robin. They're following the design, even if they don't have organs or glass. I was so blind by my anger towards that not official statament from klei. Now i'm really confused as heck, why would they say all of that in the first place if they continued it? I don't get it.

I'm sorry for starting all this non-sense discussion at this point.

52 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

But is it really? I mean for me personally my dad is a horror writer I grew up watching horror films so the lunar horrors don’t bother me (also if you google toys from the 90’s you’d find out that a lot of boys toys included this kind of strange odd horror-ish stuff, or Gross Out Humor.)

That last one effects me on a personal level, I can handle horror monster inspired mutant mobs, what physically makes me sick to my stomach is “Snot” Humor- Especially if I happen to be trying to eat lunch or dinner or something, so Ewecus & the newer Molebats that blow Snot Bubbles.. those things disturb me as much (if not more) than the horror mobs do certain people.

BUT Klei added a Filter to disable Horror Hound and Horror Penguin respectively, JUST those two… to Disable Ewecus means I have to disable hunt surprises entirely because I can’t JUST disable the Ewecus..

Are you NOT seeing the problem here? Klei heard cries from a particularly vocal minority of players and collapsed to their Will.. Meanwhile I’m still waiting for an option to disable Snot-Humor while I try to eat my lunch.

Now because I’m as old as I am I recognize the problem head on: In the 80’s and 90’s respectively- Little boys were mostly into gross out or horror related toys where as little girls had “cutesy” Polly pocket or Barbie type toys.

In fact- McDonald’s once sold Mighty Max as kids meals for Boys & Polly Pocket kids meals for girls.  

I applaud the Odd Toys & tv shows though- things Like Monster High… a TV show/toy line for weird mildly disturbing Barbies for little girls.

My posts here are in no means a campaign to get lunar horrors back, it’s rather a campaign to not have the skins and belongings I enjoy using removed from the game because it offends or disturbs a particular group of people.

For example: If Klei decides tommorow they want to add a “Snot-Humor” Skin to a character or belonging set- Where is my filter to disable seeing someone join my world using that gross set while I’m trying to eat my lunch?

They caved to a particular set of cries from the community.

In all fairness, I'm pretty sure the only official comment on changing direction with the mutant creatures was due to them "not fitting". Wether that's just a PR comment, and the background reason was due to the backlash, who knows.

Personally I can kinda see that? I love the designs but they are a new type of horror from everything else. The Pengull in particular leaves little to the imagination. The new birds feel like a more tame twisted incarnation inline with the existing 'standard'.

My only doubt regarding that is if they don't fit why weren't they replaced? 

44 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

In all fairness, I'm pretty sure the only official comment on changing direction with the mutant creatures was due to them "not fitting". Wether that's just a PR comment, and the background reason was due to the backlash, who knows.

Personally I can kinda see that? I love the designs but they are a new type of horror from everything else. The Pengull in particular leaves little to the imagination. The new birds feel like a more tame twisted incarnation inline with the existing 'standard'.

My only doubt regarding that is if they don't fit why weren't they replaced? 

Again, as i said above, maybe they changed their ideas about it? Because as @Sunset Skye pointed out, the new birds in reality are in line with the lunar creatures design. It's all confusing to be honest....

12 minutes ago, Milordo said:

Again, as i said above, maybe they changed their ideas about it? Because as @Sunset Skye pointed out, the new birds in reality are in line with the lunar creatures design. It's all confusing to be honest....

Highly disagree.

Sure the bird's face is seemingly peeled back, but it's not showing soft red muscle. It's a weird purple that makes em look more like a vegetable than anything sinister. As a result, the 'peeled' part just looks like neck fluff. 

Misshapen bird is bent yeah, but it's not like it's bones are protruding out as a result. It's just an odd looking bird.

They're just not comparable to the Pengull/Hound that show bones and guts. To the shattered spiders? Maybe.

Archived