The waterlogged biome will suffer the same fate as the barnacles

13 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

But as it stands, There's little to no reason for Oceans to still be in the state they're in.

To be fair though, When Klei was making caves they were able to put all their focus on them(Only with the strange new powers update adding the necessary perks to characters at the time) while today there's reworks, new characters, Qol Updates, a complete overhaul to farming, events, and etc. Heck, not even all the updates in RoT focused purely on the ocean(e.g. Forgotten Knowledge)

I also believe they're putting more time and effort into the content they create today, I definitely personally find the mechanics and content they've been creating to be much more complex and extensive than the content way back in 2013. 

Oh yeah, and there's the whole coronavirus thing I suppose, Im guessing that made a bit of an impact(Thought I dont believe it was that big of one)

2 minutes ago, Hornete said:

To be fair though, When Klei was making caves they were able to put all their focus on them(Only with the strange new powers update adding the necessary perks to characters at the time) while today there's reworks, new characters, Qol Updates, a complete overhaul to farming, events, and etc. Heck, not even all the updates in RoT focused purely on the ocean(e.g. Forgotten Knowledge)

I also believe they're putting more time and effort into the content they create today, I definitely personally find the mechanics and content they've been creating to be much more complex and extensive than the content way back in 2013. 

Oh yeah, and there's the whole coronavirus thing I suppose, Im guessing that made a bit of an impact(Thought I dont believe it was that big of one)

Oh right. Pandemic. Yeah that'll knock things back a peg.

5 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Ah. Fair point. But even then, what are you looking for out there? On land you've got all the different biomes, set pieces, ect. You can't exactly look for, say, Pig King while on a boat.

The ocean-specific stuff I'm mostly looking for is salt, sea weeds and the waterlogged biome, with other appealing stuff about the ocean coming naturally during that search (gnarwails, pearl, treasures etc), while staying close enough to outline the mainland. Funnily enough, while I've never purposely sought him out or anything, I have kind of found the Pig King while on a boat before!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/822874643282526229/870757360094834779/unknown.png
(Don't mind the hud mod)
Outlining the map like this, while it leaves some blind spots that require a bit of educated guessing, gives a good idea of the world shape and which biomes are where. So for example I can see that bit of deciduous there, combine that knowledge with the lack of space where another would probably generate, and figure that that's most likely where pig king is! It's not perfect, however it doubles as exploring the ocean and I found everything I'd want to out there at the same time. I also could have just jumped onto the shore of the deciduous forest and peeked in and found him directly, of course.

Let's just compare the Celestial Champion to the Ancient Fuelwaver.

It's not really fair to do so. The Fuelweaver's little questline is just a few bosses with an explosion of rewards right at the end, you kill the shadow pieces, you kill the ancient guardian, then you kill the Fuelweaver and get all sorts of loot right at the very end. But the Celestial Champion isn't meant to be an explosion of rewards, and the Enlightened Crown isn't the singular thing you get from the questline, so comparing the two bosses like this isn't really fair. In reality, on your way to the Champion you will get:
- All of Pearl's trades
- The Strident Trident
- The Terra Firma Tamper
- Astral Detectors
- The Celestial tab
Then finally the Enlightened Crown (and its shards)

While it varies from person to person if all of that is good or useful or etc, I think it's unfair to directly compare the Champion and Fuelweaver loot, as the Champion is a final cherry on top of the stuff you got along the way, while the Fuelweaver gives almost every single reward from their quest line all at once.

Yes, but the ocean and land areas never interact. You don't cross the land while exploring the ocean the same way you might cross the sahvanna biome on your way to the desert. And if you're exploring the ocean, you don't pop back onto land unless you need to resupply or drop off some items. For all intents and purposes, they're entirely different and segregated areas.

Kind of a broad "you" for something that's so subjective. I pop back onto land all the time while exploring the ocean, see my image above, and I've played with friends before who do the same.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

on your way to the Champion you will get:
- All of Pearl's trades
- The Strident Trident
- The Terra Firma Tamper
- Astral Detectors
- The Celestial tab

Don’t forget you also gain access to more polar star staves, assuming you set up fossils or something around the moonstone. Also you are forgetting the most important drop from the champion quest line: shell bells. All jokes aside, you do also get loot from the ancient guardian and the shadow pieces, and the loot they drop is very good (shadow knight farms are beautiful, their drops might not seem very good at first but trust me it’s far more useful than a strident trident blueprint), so I don’t think this argument is exclusive to the celestial champion’s quest line.

8 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

The ocean-specific stuff I'm mostly looking for is salt, sea weeds and the waterlogged biome, with other appealing stuff about the ocean coming naturally during that search (gnarwails, pearl, treasures etc), while staying close enough to outline the mainland. Funnily enough, while I've never purposely sought him out or anything, I have kind of found the Pig King while on a boat before!

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/822874643282526229/870757360094834779/unknown.png
(Don't mind the hud mod)
Outlining the map like this, while it leaves some blind spots that require a bit of educated guessing, gives a good idea of the world shape and which biomes are where. So for example I can see that bit of deciduous there, combine that knowledge with the lack of space where another would probably generate, and figure that that's most likely where pig king is! It's not perfect, however it doubles as exploring the ocean and I found everything I'd want to out there at the same time. I also could have just jumped onto the shore of the deciduous forest and peeked in and found him directly, of course.

This scares me.

It's not really fair to do so. The Fuelweaver's little questline is just a few bosses with an explosion of rewards right at the end, you kill the shadow pieces, you kill the ancient guardian, then you kill the Fuelweaver and get all sorts of loot right at the very end. But the Celestial Champion isn't meant to be an explosion of rewards, and the Enlightened Crown isn't the singular thing you get from the questline, so comparing the two bosses like this isn't really fair. In reality, on your way to the Champion you will get:
- All of Pearl's trades
- The Strident Trident
- The Terra Firma Tamper
- Astral Detectors
- The Celestial tab

While it varies from person to person if all of that is good or useful or etc, I think it's unfair to directly compare the Champion and Fuelweaver loot, as the Champion is a final cherry on top of the stuff you got along the way, while the Fuelweaver gives almost every single reward from their quest line all at once.

I guess that is fair. Though as I said in my first (Second?) post, most of those are either convenience things or mid-tier items at best. The terra firma tamper is cool, As are the Astral detectors. But that's about it IMO.

Kind of a broad "you" for something that's so subjective. I pop back onto land all the time while exploring the ocean, see my image above, and I've played with friends before who do the same.

Alright. And while exploring the surface, I try to pop into any sink holes I find to see what's around them. Or go up any sinkholes I find in the caves to see where they lead. Does that mean the caves and the Surface are the same world?

Yes, this new biome might not be "the next best (meta) thing" that could've theoretically be done for current Ocean content. But you know what? Can be this or... more turd-like Sea Stacks. Do you fancy better the Stacks than Waterlogged biome? Not everything needs to compete for "meta". And I for one take anything by now, in a mostly empty Ocean, over turdy Stacks.

I have a SERIOUS Question that I would like a Serious answer to: Do people even play video games just to play and enjoy them anymore?? Or do you all look for the “Meta, Most efficient and highly boring way of playing?”

Do you complain about new biomes with new places to see and explore because these biomes feel like “novelty” to your same dried out boring routine?

Let me tell you I am a GEMINI, Gemini people are known to get impatient and bored rather quickly.. but I SEE potential in this: As in- If I can edit world Gen configuration to have Grass Gator & SeaStrider spawns set to “lots” I will probably have a ton of fun with this.

I love the Dont starve franchise & as I asked at the start of this post have people really stopped playing games just to play & enjoy them?? I don’t care if nothing in the new biome fits your “Meta” way of surviving, what I care about is having exciting new places to explore & things to do in the game I already love playing.

So can we all just go back to enjoying the work Klei puts out rather than complaining about it? I mean my LEAST favorite thing they’ve done was Wigfrids Rework.. she was my second favorite playable characters but her rework (for me at least) left much to be desired.. In my opinion Wes rework was better! 
However & back to my point: Klei could have opted to do nothing at all…

These updates cost them development time and resources, so we should enjoy whatever they put out for us. And for me my FAVORITE thing they’ve done (Aside from Wendy Rework) was giving me more control over my world Gen in that lovely little menu full of things I can toggle on/off more/less over.

Personally I would love it if they started adding at least 1 new mob to the game per month, be that in a new biome or an already existing one what makes the game fun for me are the mobs that inhabit the world.. 

People take for granted what all actually HAS been added to the game since RoT started, from AoE Shattered Spider & Saladmander, to Bulbous lightbugs & Molebats, to RockJaw Sharks & now Water Gators.. the game is expanding and evolving and I’m enjoying watching the new mobs and biomes be added each time.

Im sorry that they don’t fit into your “Meta” way of playing but as a Console player without the ability to spoil myself with cool mods these new mobs, these character reworks, the further control over how our worlds generate- All of it has been incredible amounts of content for Playstation & Xbox players.

(sorry if this post is too long or off topic I just wanted to remind the devs at Klei that their work is much appreciated, Keep doing what you guys do best!)

On 8/10/2021 at 3:11 AM, goblinball said:

you do also get loot from the ancient guardian and the shadow pieces, and the loot they drop is very good (shadow knight farms are beautiful, their drops might not seem very good at first but trust me it’s far more useful than a strident trident blueprint), so I don’t think this argument is exclusive to the celestial champion’s quest line.

The ancient guardian to me is basically a grab bag. You have a chance to get very good loot, very bad loot, or simply in between. it's not nothing, but most of the time it's not too substantial either. You do get guardian horns to make more houndius, but you also need a lot of those for them to be fairly reliable.

As for shadow pieces, the knight farms are good if you abuse an exploit. There is virtually Zero reason to farm any drop other then the shadow aitrium if you are not using the exploit, as the gear and resource costs of fighting it normally will almost always never be worth the effort. 

Of course, I do believe you get some rewards when doing the "quest" to fight fuelweaver like the Entirety of the ruins. Since you need the ancient key you are very likely doing the ruins and netting resources from that, and doing the fuelweaver will also regenerate 95% of ruins based items for you to continue doing them as long as you get aitriums.

It's overall a questline that gets 2 spikes: Doing the ruins, and doing weaver, and it otherwise fluxuates. The Champion questline in comparison doesn't have as high of spikes, but is a lot more consistent with what you get. It's up to you to determine if you like the loot or not, but I personally think it's good other then the moonstorm being my biggest issue with it.

Maybe I was wrong this new biome was forgotten, not even KLEI included options for it in the world Gen settings menu’s during the current on-going QoL beta phase, words can not even begin to describe how upset I am about this..

I wanted to be able to toggle more of the water-logged biomes & mobs like grass gators to appear, and less (or none) on the annoying sea stacks I sometimes smash my boat into in the middle of the night.

No? Barnacles are amazing. While it is certainly is a hassle to go out to sea just to harvest them, they can both be relocated and make for an amazing stop at sea to get additional cooking ingredients. In winter with a Warly in your crew the barnacles can last up to 20 days and make for some nice dishes.

It's a shame that people say they want more world variation and complain when there is already a variety of things to explore and revisit. They ask for variation while they end up camping their base constantly because they also want to be able to relocate every possible resource.

Sea weed colonies in their current state are very nice and fill at least a few functions. Hah.

Archived