What minor stuff from SW/HAM would you want in DST?

I'd like the volcano and beach related stuff from Shipwrecked and the dense jungle and all the mobs in it from Hamlet

Oh, and since Wagstaff was added with Hamlet and is the poster child of Hamlet I'm gonna consider him Hamlet content and want him to be added.

I hate to sound like a broken record but.. why does anything have to be “Minor Stuff?” Why can’t we get Legit content from those Single Player expansions into the multiplayer game?

Now before I get met with the usual “no now shut up” let me first provide an actual LORE Reason why and how this could happen.

At the start of Return of Them everything was explained away by having a chunk of the moon break and fall into the oceans of Dont Starve Together, This Lunar Moon in the ocean caused strange Mutations to things like Carrots, Spiders, Pengull etc.. 

This is highly important to note because in the single player Hamlet DLC Spiders and Splumonkey are Mutated into Spider-Ape Hybrids… and Pigs are Intelligent here. It can therefore be argued that since Hamlet is canon to take place in the sky above DST and thus was always closer to the moon: It suffered the same Mutations were now seeing in DST’s RoT arch.

Warly was added to the game from the shipwrecked expansion and his description states he got there because his ship smashed ashore which would therefore imply that we can sail into Shipwrecked Biomes.

now if Hamlet was this floating island above the clouds… and Shipwrecked can simply be sailed into… Then why can’t Klei simply say that when the moon broke and fell into DST’s oceans that it also hit and brought down a chunk of Hamlets island with it?

We now have a what could easily be a canon LORE reason for how and why we should get the majority of those DLC contents into DST.

It’s the Technical part- how time consuming or if it’ll be worthwhile to Klei.. that prevents it from happening.

With that said- I own both dlcs and don’t even play them because playing with friends and all the skins I own far out weigh playing the single player game with all its now highly outdated character abilities.

Obsidian items are really cool, and the spear is one of the best weapons in the game, especially if you're playing in RoG during winter, so it'd be cool to see them get ported over in some way, maybe some lunar item that gets charged when high on sanity? This might not be a minor thing but oh well.

On 7/20/2021 at 4:03 AM, Ohan said:

Idk if this can be considered minor but I would love a mob with Doydoy mating/reproduction mechanics. I absolutely love doydoys they were always my first priority in SW :lol:.

im a stardew player at heart, RWYS was amazing for farming but when it comes to animal husbandry theres isnt much in DST beside beefalo domestication, birdcage, tallbird eggs, bees and dustmoths. (Goats are pretty hands-off..)

I just want a cute little mob to build a pen for and watch multiply :-D and collect their produce wether that be eggs or whatever. 

i think saladmanders could have been a prime candidate for a doydoy style mating system but alas

seems interesting maybe they could have their own island where they are born like pearl?

4 hours ago, chirsg said:

i was going to say shanty, but that's major. i saw pogs mentioned in this thread, so pogs. they're so cute and if introduced, hopefully they can be penned as not to grief your chests.

or they can add them to don't starve together as a critter

Whales. They fit thematically in DST's Temperate setting, unlike most of Shipwrecked/Hamlet's tropical content. They encourage ocean exploration while also encouraging players to head back to sea periodically. They give us something else dynamic to do in the oceans that rewards being at sea frequently. And most importantly they have a great loot mechanic that would be a ton of fun to play with in DST.

Can you imagine how good a Blubber Suit would be in DST?

15 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I hate to sound like a broken record but.. why does anything have to be “Minor Stuff?” Why can’t we get Legit content from those Single Player expansions into the multiplayer game?

Now before I get met with the usual “no now shut up” let me first provide an actual LORE Reason why and how this could happen.

At the start of Return of Them everything was explained away by having a chunk of the moon break and fall into the oceans of Dont Starve Together, This Lunar Moon in the ocean caused strange Mutations to things like Carrots, Spiders, Pengull etc.. 

This is highly important to note because in the single player Hamlet DLC Spiders and Splumonkey are Mutated into Spider-Ape Hybrids… and Pigs are Intelligent here. It can therefore be argued that since Hamlet is canon to take place in the sky above DST and thus was always closer to the moon: It suffered the same Mutations were now seeing in DST’s RoT arch.

Warly was added to the game from the shipwrecked expansion and his description states he got there because his ship smashed ashore which would therefore imply that we can sail into Shipwrecked Biomes.

now if Hamlet was this floating island above the clouds… and Shipwrecked can simply be sailed into… Then why can’t Klei simply say that when the moon broke and fell into DST’s oceans that it also hit and brought down a chunk of Hamlets island with it?

We now have a what could easily be a canon LORE reason for how and why we should get the majority of those DLC contents into DST.

It’s the Technical part- how time consuming or if it’ll be worthwhile to Klei.. that prevents it from happening.

With that said- I own both dlcs and don’t even play them because playing with friends and all the skins I own far out weigh playing the single player game with all its now highly outdated character abilities.

Good headcanon! The other way to do things, which honestly I feel would work better overall, would be to add a third world to DST, the Tropics. This would be an archipelago of challenging tropical islands that can carry over directly the content from Shipwrecked/Hamlet. The seasonal mechanics from singleplayer largely wouldn't work well in DST (and the ones that do work well have already been adapted into the Moonstorm, aka Aporkalypse 2.0); can you imagine the chaos Eruptions or Flooding would cause for unprepared players? However having these more disruptive effects removed to their own world would allow us to experience them in their full glory.

One of the big flaws of Shipwrecked is that the islands need to be easy enough for players to survive there practically from day 1, while at the same time the overall experience needs to be challenging enough to still be Don't Starve. Hamlet solves this problem by having a more traditional biome structure, but spreading out important resources to other plateaus. Just look at how easy the Lunar Island has to be not to be completely punishing. I'd love to see Shipwrecked in its own world, with elements of Hamlet, and the overall difficulty ramped up to be comparable with DST's caves. 

Small stuff, hmm.

From Shipwreck, for ocean, I would fancy some variants of Waves, perhaps with a seasonal component. Then patches of Tar Slick would provide much-needed resource diversity and recurrent reasons to visit the seas (plus new Tar builds, to compensate for lack of Moon builds?! But this would be a pretty big update on its own). As for flora and fauna to fill the current empty Constant's waters (instead of countless turd-like Sea Stacks), Mussels/Mussel Beds, Coral Reef and certain Moon Jellyfishes variations would fair well too. Also cute Bioluminescence areas at night?! And for shores, especially Lunar Archipelago ones, Limpet Rocks.

While from Hamlet, perhaps Stone Slabs and Tall Grass at large on main Constant lands (or mostly in Savanna biomes). Plus Pigeons in Deciduous Forest (maybe even Pikos there to spice things up, as a late-game mob if general in-game progression would be implemented)?! Would've been good if some Glowfly-type bug (Moonfly?!) could be added to Moon isles to make nights there (even) more visually interesting.

And, of course, on seas at large, in certain periods of the in-game year, Fog mechanics akin SW's could be introduced to make global ocean feel more dynamic.

1 hour ago, JaxckLl said:

Whales. They fit thematically in DST's Temperate setting, unlike most of Shipwrecked/Hamlet's tropical content. They encourage ocean exploration while also encouraging players to head back to sea periodically. They give us something else dynamic to do in the oceans that rewards being at sea frequently. And most importantly they have a great loot mechanic that would be a ton of fun to play with in DST.

Can you imagine how good a Blubber Suit would be in DST?

AND they're really cute/neat looking. :D i really love their swimming animation its so well done. i would absolutely love whales in dst, just the other day i searched the workshop for a possible mod that ports them to dst but no such luck :cry:

----

pogs from hamlet (or something pog-like) could also indeed be a nice addition to the DST savannahs god knows they're practically barren wastelands atm save for the beefalo herds. they would probably need dens from which they respawn though like catcoons!

when i first started playing DST. I legit though that there was a structure like in SW where you could stand under it like an umbrella to protect from rain.
And honestly, i really want that in the game... not for any big reason, but it could be just like a scalled furnace , where its a very tiny spot you stand in to protect you from the elements. 

20 hours ago, DarkPulse91 said:

when i first started playing DST. I legit though that there was a structure like in SW where you could stand under it like an umbrella to protect from rain.
And honestly, i really want that in the game... not for any big reason, but it could be just like a scalled furnace , where its a very tiny spot you stand in to protect you from the elements. 

The structure exists in Shipwrecked because rain is very frequent in Hurricane and Lush seasons; Shiprecked on itself is themed around a sea, reason for the many water protection items and structures.

Honestly a lot of content that for whatever reason Klei opts not to add to DST would go A LONG way in making things less life-less and barren.

examples being- the Poison Dart frogs from Hamlet could glide across the Waters, or the Jellyfish from Shipwrecked.

Both Mobs would add more life and feeling to empty-ish waters we have now.

Shipwrecked boats. Floating around on a giant pancake is fun, but it’s painstakingly slow. Maybe by putting in more/rarer materials and sacrificing building there could be a shipwrecked-style boat? Maybe requiring lunar island materials?

More things to do out on the waters. I really want more reasons to focus on sailing. Maybe more islands? This time it could be a volcano, not large enough to reach the mainland but pose a significant danger when on the seven seas. 

Shipwrecked Coffee. Enough said. 

In summary, I have dreams of the seas being an entirely new world to explore, with biomes, islands, special recourses beyond what we have today. I want to make beautiful floating bases on the crashing waves. 

Of course, this is all very unlikely to be added (A Wilson main can dream, dammit!). If I had to pick one, it would probably be Coffee.

(Ohhh yeah this was supposed to be a “Minor things” post, my bad I ramble a lot)

Archived