A Breath of Fresh Air Update - Available Now! - 471618

This update basically destroyed my performance.

Was 50-60 fps with 12 dupes and decent size colony with quite few ranches. (40-50 with fast mode)

Now its barely 30 in normal mode and barely 20 in fast mode.

New game similar thing tho less tragic:

When i do some exploring with just 3 dupes fps in normal mode is 40 and 30 in fast mode .... Before this update constant 60 fps in slow and fast mode in early game after i done some exploring.

I'm so sad and frustrated becaues of this i really hope this won't be ignored it may not affect super beefy PCs that much but weaker PCs that still met the requirements and game worked perfectly fine before this update will suffer greatly. (Then again i seen some people with i7 and 32 GB RAM getting severe FPS problems after this update so it's not just my PC being weak i guess.)

Edited by ALCRD
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, n_t_p said:

Get good quit hoarding

I refuse to quit hoarding, I just dump all the food in its own dedicated cold biome... Dupes can use transit tubes.

(I also powered fridges before all the "scary foodpocalypse" came about, just because.)

17 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

This update basically destroyed my performance.

Was 50-60 fps with 12 dupes and decent size colony with quite few ranches. (40-50 with fast mode)

Now its barely 30 in normal mode and barely 20 in fast mode.

New game similar thing tho less tragic:

When i do some exploring with just 3 dupes fps in normal mode is 40 and 30 in fast mode .... Before this update constant 60 fps in slow and fast mode in early game after i done some exploring.

I'm so sad and frustrated becaues of this i really hope this won't be ignored it may not affect super beefy PCs that much but weaker PCs that still met the requirements and game worked perfectly fine before this update will suffer greatly. (Then again i seen some people with i7 and 32 GB RAM getting severe FPS problems after this update so it's not just my PC being weak i guess.)

What map size and exact cpu if you mind sharing, if you like...upload the save game here :p

It can be sometimes interesting to see for some peoples what other peoples maps are like to play :encouragement:

Not questions the fps suffering, just curious :cool-new: 60 fps is normally in maps with "not much done" and early stages. 60 fps is always a nice ONI dream and would be the perfect goal for players :ghost: Ah, it would be so nice !

Edited by babba

30 minutes ago, babba said:

What map size and exact cpu if you mind sharing, if you like...upload the save game here :p

It can be sometimes interesting to see for some peoples what other peoples maps are like to play :encouragement:

Not questions the fps suffering, just curious :cool-new: 60 fps is normally in maps with "not much done" and early stages. 60 fps is always a nice ONI dream and would be the perfect goal for players :ghost: Ah, it would be so nice !

Regular default map size cause i don't have Spaced Out

A8-6600K (old quad 3.9 Ghz)

Yea my colony is average size and pretty messy and i had 50-60 fps in slow mode and depending where i looked 40-50~ in fast mode. BEFORE this recent update which basically cut the framerates in half.

This performance loss affects new games too it's much worse than before and few other people with way better CPUs noticed same thing. (I'm keeping track on both forums steam and klei)

I'll upload the save if you are curious it's a messy nearly dying colony anyways.

Sirius Expedition Broken Update.sav

Edited by ALCRD
  • Thanks 1

I have to concur with a massive performance drop on almost an identical base to the one described above.  Twelve dupes, default map size, mostly uncovered map.  Before the update I was getting 45 to 60 FPS, sometimes dipping to 30 in particularly busy areas.  Now it fluctuates wildly between 10 and 25 FPS unless I'm zoomed into a blank area or I pause the game.  It's unplayably slow and choppy now.

I also have the resource tree bug mentioned in a previous comment, wherein the resource tree has everything listed with a 'NEW' tag beside it and it's so long that I can't see the bottom.  The resource tree has become completely useless for any resource beyond letter L.

I'll start a new map to see how things perform on a fresh save, but this is a real bummer for a base I put this much work into.

Build: FA-471618
CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2630v2
GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1650 
Memory: 64 GB

• Health 1

@ALCRD I know your type of cpu very well from owning some cpu`s of the series privately and I think Ive still got some standing around somewhere - We all keep asking for more Klei performance updates, but with your cpu it can be hard to be happy with the game. If you can and want, perhaps consider updating ( yeah I know, probably not nice to hear ).

Any scales to this single threading cpu list, I would avoid any cpu below 2500 score in the list....If possible. Hope that helps you a bit, perhaps for the future :p:encouragement:

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/singleThread.html

There is some good performing value $200 new cpu`sor $100 used decent cpu plus $40 dollar used standard board, $20 decent cooler + and I would recommend some 16gb ram to be a bit future safe. ONI is decent to run with 25% gpu calculation output of a nvidia gtx 1060, as reference.

Edited by babba
  • Sad Dupe 1

9 minutes ago, babba said:

but with your cpu it can be hard to be happy with the game.

I was very happy with the ingame performance BEFORE this recen't merge update came and broke it. Wasn't i clear in my post? It worked perfectly fine before the update.

Now it's unplayable game is crawling instead being playable and as mentioned above this is not just my CPU. Upgrading won't do anything since it even works poorly on i7's

Fix so the performance is the way it was before this update would be ideal.

Edited by ALCRD

6 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

I was very happy with the ingame performance BEFORE this recen't merge update came and broke it. Wasn't i clear?

Now it's unplayable game is crawling instead being playable and as mentioned above this is not just my CPU. Upgrading won't do anything since it even works poorly on i7's

Again am i hard to understand?

If you want to be happy playing ONI longer, beyond the early play stages, it will be tough. The base game got expanded with the dlc code unification. You could perhaps try to play an old base game version, if that is possible somehow - Then you would have what you had before.

I play tech hardcore max on the i7 7700k, I built a dedicated system for ONI.

Edited by babba

Again pay attention if the game struggles now even on i7 even in small-ish colonies then there is something very wrong with the performance after the update and it should be adressed.

4 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Again pay attention if the game struggles now even on i7 even in small-ish colonies then there is something very wrong with the performance after the update and it should be adressed.

Your talking to an i7 player :rolleyes: Having something what you had before will be hard.

Klei will optimize ( hopefully ) further over time, either you could try to play an old version somehow or cpu upgrade or play how you are currently. Wishing you good happyness for the future. :ghost:

I expect the game to not be dead after this DLC, a following DLC2 will add more load on top and perhaps null or negate further game optimizations - CPU`s will get faster though, thats the good thing. :afro:

Edited by babba
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, babba said:

If you want to be happy playing ONI longer, beyond the early play stages, it will be tough. The base game got expanded with the dlc code unification. You could perhaps try to play an old version, if that is possible somehow - Then you would have what you had before.

If this is possible, actually, I would love to revert back to the previous version.  My CPU scores 7440 on that list you linked and I also dropped from 60 FPS to less than 20.  I've let bases run beyond 2000 cycles with the whole map uncovered without dropping below 45 FPS.  Now I'm 900 cycles in and it's not playable anymore.  

• Health 1
  • GL Happy 1

And yea if i could i would rollback this update in a heartbeat. Sadly i don't think that's possible to do.

I didn't even get to enjoy ONI for long before new update made it unplayable crawl-fest instead smooth experience i had before it.

I'm just very sad and frustrated.

This game is now suddenly out of the blue more demanding than Cyberpunk 2077

Edited by ALCRD
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, egolayer13 said:

If this is possible, actually, I would love to revert back to the previous version.  My CPU scores 7440 on that list you linked and I also dropped from 60 FPS to less than 20.  I've let bases run beyond 2000 cycles with the whole map uncovered without dropping below 45 FPS.  Now I'm 900 cycles in and it's not playable anymore.  

Perhaps some can help and knows if and how its possible to play old ONI game versions ? I don`t know. :confused:

CPU speed

The top scorer is ~3800 in the list...7000 passmark score in single threading would be a dream and could probably be worth $20000-$100000 as a single preview monster cpu. :ghost:

Let me see what you wrote about your specs...

---------------------------

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/75790/intel-xeon-processor-e5-2630-v2-15m-cache-2-60-ghz.html?wapkw=e5-2630 v2

Another cpu which is tough with ONI. Its a really nice one though to have :congratulatory:

Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2630v2

Cores 6
Threads 12
Processor Base Frequency 2.60 GHz
Max Turbo Frequency 3.10 GHz
Cache 15 MB Intel® Smart Cache

Edited by babba

2 minutes ago, babba said:

Perhaps some can help and knows if and how its possible to play old ONI game versions ? I don`t know.

CPU speed

The top scorer is ~3800 in the list...7000 passmark score in single threading would be a dream and could probably be worth $20000-$100000 as a single preview monster cpu. :ghost:

Let me see what you wrote about your specs...

Turns out you're right.  7440 is the total score, not the single-threaded score.  It still doesn't change the fact that a "bug fix and quality of life" update just broke this game until I build a new PC.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, egolayer13 said:

Turns out you're right.  7440 is the total score, not the single-threaded score.  It still doesn't change the fact that a "bug fix and quality of life" update just broke this game until I build a new PC.

If your Xeon would in theory have 2 cores, instead of 6 physical ones...Then it would run quite ok with ONI, with the nice cpu cache size(s). We can just pray for further Klei optimizations, but IMHO I wouldn`t expect wonders on dated multicore cpus. ONI is basically a "non-graphic-card game", like Factorio as another example. Hungry 3D titles make for good on mentioned cpu`s by utilizing decent graphic cards.

If you like, check out the Hyperthreading/cpu cache sharing post- Kind regards, babba :p

Edited by babba

12 minutes ago, babba said:

If your Xeon would in theory have 2 cores, instead of 6 physical ones...Then it would run quite ok with ONI, with the nice cpu cache size(s). We can just pray for further Klei optimizations. :cold:

If you like, check out the Hyperthreading/cpu cache sharing post- Kind regards, babba :p

I have a laptop that was running fine, on a fresh map I am getting 80 - 100 fps.

My fully explored map with 12 dups was doing 40 fps before the update, and tanked to 10-20fps after the update (I removed the metering valve and the performance returned to low 30fps).

The Ryzen 4800HS is no slouch and shouldnt struggle like this.

is there a way to revert to the old gamestate? this update took me and my gf totally by surprise we were playing the same map together and are kinda late game, but with this update now so much things have changed that its quite annoying to keep playing the old save game.

i usually like updates but in this case it just took me by surprise, otherwise i would have opted not to download it.

• Like 2

Worst thing is i can handle games like Elite Dangerous, Far Cry 5, Just Cause 3 , Fallout 4 just fine on my old PC but ONI after recent update is barely playable and struggles like crazy.

I know i'm ranting but i am genuinely sad cause i really enjoyed this game and i would like it to be playable for me again without me having to buy a new PC.

Edited by ALCRD
  • Big Ups 1

31 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Worst thing is i can handle games like Elite Dangerous, Far Cry 5, Just Cause 3 , Fallout 4 just fine on my old PC but ONI after recent update struggles like crazy.

I know i'm ranting but i am genuinely sad cause i really enjoyed this game.

Understandable :distracted:

Those games make good use of 3d cards - They are are different type of game compared to ONI or Factorio, which basically need lots of cpu ( mainly of 1 core ). 3d titles kind of cover that up but working with a 3d card, working in tandem ( with often 1 or 2 cpu cores ). Very few games make use of multiple or lots of cpu cores.

Its also a common frustration point by some players that the DLC became the new base game and now the old base game has been synchronized with the new base game ( the DLC ) tech wise, it creates new cpu burdens. I think I was the first to complain about that in the forum, ages ago...but for save game compability reasons ( my great old dlc-preview-borked mega-base ! )

Lets pray for Klei, that they make more optimization wonders :rolleyes:

Edited by babba
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, LZ96 said:

Make a chlorine or hydrogen with -18 degree, waterlocked room with auto sweep drop food by the stairs, dups will pick up food two tiles away and not be in contact with gases

You do realize that the water lock will freeze up to solid right.  Would have to use oil instead. that won't freeze. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Kokonattsu-Dono said:

To be honest with you guys, I can't even play the game right now due to the steam update bug ;(

I dislike the new resource panel... I was used to the old one!

I'm personally trying to figure out how to get good use out of my resources panel.  The new one basically just lists them in whatever order they are coded, dumps them all into one list, and all I can do is sort by removing and adding things every time I want to look at where I'm at on a particular resource.  At least the old version sorted them by category and let me "collapse or expand" a tree.  "I have 14.3 tons of organics" expand tree to find that 13.2 tons are slime.  Easy!

But to find out how I'm doing on "metal ore" now (So I know if I need to carve out that iron over there before I start planning this new section over here), I have to go change the resource panel to show all the ores, which means I have to take a bunch of items off that I was just looking at, because once it hits about 25 items on the list, everything goes off the screen.  With the old panel, "What ore do I have?" click a tree to expand it.  BOOM right there.  Okay, I have way more ore than this will need, collapse that tree so I can keep an eye on the other stuff I need.  Heck, on the old panel, even if I didn't expand the panel I knew how many tons of ore, just not the exact breakout of it.