A Breath of Fresh Air Update - Available Now! - 471618

4 hours ago, ALCRD said:

This update basically destroyed my performance.

Was 50-60 fps with 12 dupes and decent size colony with quite few ranches. (40-50 with fast mode)

Now its barely 30 in normal mode and barely 20 in fast mode.

New game similar thing tho less tragic:

When i do some exploring with just 3 dupes fps in normal mode is 40 and 30 in fast mode .... Before this update constant 60 fps in slow and fast mode in early game after i done some exploring.

I'm so sad and frustrated becaues of this i really hope this won't be ignored it may not affect super beefy PCs that much but weaker PCs that still met the requirements and game worked perfectly fine before this update will suffer greatly. (Then again i seen some people with i7 and 32 GB RAM getting severe FPS problems after this update so it's not just my PC being weak i guess.)

Same here. Low FPS even at the start. Before the last update the game was running SO WELL, it's never been so smooth (I'm always on the beta branch) 

PS. After the last update my Nvidia control center says that the game uses vertical sync (it didnt use it before though). 

Edited by kolyapedal

5 hours ago, ALCRD said:

And yea if i could i would rollback this update in a heartbeat. Sadly i don't think that's possible to do.

I didn't even get to enjoy ONI for long before new update made it unplayable crawl-fest instead smooth experience i had before it.

I'm just very sad and frustrated.

This game is now suddenly out of the blue more demanding than Cyberpunk 2077

THIS. Spending hundreds of hours just to find out one morning that you cant even roll back theses changes and play the game.

For anyone wanting to check out the save game file. here. My specs are core i5 3450, 8gb ram, radeon 7850.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AMNG8gmw__aTLSZVWykofNkT_8kYORxH/view?usp=sharing

i cant seem to be able to upload here so google drive it is.......

I wish I didnt connect to the internet today ;X. 

14 hours ago, klei.ruby said:

some performance improvements visualized, from a 10 522 cycle base!

KProfiler_MJMXoRUzzb.png

OxygenNotIncluded_MGkhFnMNrZ.png

Is this base game or spaced out only?

Edited by Tab1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, LZ96 said:

Make a chlorine or hydrogen with -18 degree, waterlocked room with auto sweep drop food by the stairs, dups will pick up food two tiles away and not be in contact with gases

i to have game backup from older version, i guess i need rebuild my base at there  and then maybe start use the new version.

poeple that got a fps drop from that update are just not realising all the amounts of food is getting spoilt at different rates with bacteria proliferation being individual for each meal in each boxes got his calculation to do. having massive sotrage of water than could go into petri dish moode or masses of food suddently start being part of your game again....Im very satisfied of my result here the performance is really better. like day and night...

If you have a problem with some harsh lag after that update u should just start new base there is some chance that either incompatibilities are there or is just the way you stacked your things ...

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Swoop5994 said:

poeple that got a fps drop from that update are just not realising all the amounts of food is getting spoilt at different rates with bacteria proliferation being individual for each meal in each boxes got his calculation to do. having massive sotrage of water than could go into petri dish moode or masses of food suddently start being part of your game again....Im very satisfied of my result here the performance is really better. like day and night...

If you have a problem with some harsh lag after that update u should just start new base there is some chance that either incompatibilities are there or is just the way you stacked your things ...

Yes...... after 600 cycles, start a new game.......only when the whole thing stabilized and you are now enjoying the game......restart

I am glad some people are enjoying the new update but it would have been a lot better if they made this update optional or at least allow an option to roll back.

Not being able to play your favorite game after investing countless hour is a drag.Updates should not be implemented like in Windows 10. 

Edited by Tab1
  • Big Ups 1

44 minutes ago, Swoop5994 said:

For what it's worth, my perf issues have nothing to do with a sudden influx of rotting food or anything like that.  I keep my food in a refrigerated, liquid-locked chlorine room and none of it rotted after the update.  The changes to food don't affect my base at all.

20 minutes ago, egolayer13 said:

For what it's worth, my perf issues have nothing to do with a sudden influx of rotting food or anything like that.  I keep my food in a refrigerated, liquid-locked chlorine room and none of it rotted after the update.  The changes to food don't affect my base at all.

its not, he just thinks that, i do notice difference between epic games performance and steam version one. either is the dlc self what cause this or the steam

for example in epic games the Research menu opens instantly , but in steam version it have delay somewhere 1, 2 sec

Edited by gabberworld

56 minutes ago, Tab1 said:

Yes...... after 600 cycles, start a new game.......only when the whole thing stabilized and you are now enjoying the game......restart

I am glad some people are enjoying the new update but it would have been a lot better if they made this update optional or at least allow an option to roll back.

Not being able to play your favorite game after investing countless hour is a drag.Updates should not be implemented like in Windows 10. 

You can roll back update if you know how. Fun fact: you can still play agricultural update from original first alpha on steam.

2 hours ago, Swoop5994 said:

I tried reducing the food there is no difference between having over 100k kcal or 10-20k kcal FPS considerably tanked regardless.

Also this affects NEW GAME aswell. Once i explore 20-30% of the map fps drops to 40 in slow mode with just 3 dupes and barely any base estabilished as where before update it was constant 60 fps in both modes in early game and only started tanking when i had 12 dupes , decent sized colony and quite few ranches. Even then the FPS drops weren't that severe 50~ slow mode and 40~ in fast mode in busiest area with lots of critters and dupes working. Now its 30 in slow mode and barely 20 in fast mode and game slows down and stutters in fast mode in same scenario.

And worth mentioning before i moved to new game i tried collapsing the resource list and deleting my storage and food bins and all their contents cause i thought maybe the resource list was the culprit and the way it counts resources now.  No the fps was unaffected.

I tried deleting majority of my base including the ranched critters. Game's fps was unaffected.

Something else is causing major slowdowns and FPS problems on partially explored maps after the update.

40 minutes ago, cpy said:

You can roll back update if you know how. Fun fact: you can still play agricultural update from original first alpha on steam.

There is absolutely no "legal" way to rollback a Steam game update.

There is no "if you know how" it's simply not possible unless the developers include older versions in the "Beta participation" tab like some do. However it's not the case with ONI.

Edited by ALCRD

1 hour ago, ALCRD said:

There is no "if you know how" it's simply not possible unless the developers include older versions in the "Beta participation" tab like some do. However it's not the case with ONI.

Here's how to get older version of any game, And I think it's legal (It's from Steam after all).

But I do agree with you that having version control is good (Factorio have it)

If you still confuse this one is more in depth
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1086279994

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Health 1

7 hours ago, babba said:

Those games make good use of 3d cards - They are are different type of game compared to ONI or Factorio, which basically need lots of cpu ( mainly of 1 core ). 3d titles kind of cover that up but working with a 3d card, working in tandem ( with often 1 or 2 cpu cores ). Very few games make use of multiple or lots of cpu cores.

One thing i want to mention that i forgot regarding CPU heavy games.

Minecraft java witth BSL shaders runs 50-60 fps with 10 chunk render distance.

This is incredibly good for the CPU i have. Like a lot better than i expected. Minecraft java is insanely CPU and RAM heavy moreso than ONI especially with shaders.

So take it for what its worth :3

5 minutes ago, SackMaggie said:

Here's how to get older version of any game, And I think it's legal (It's from Steam after all).

But I do agree with you that having version control is good (Factorio have it)

If you still confuse this one is more in depth
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1086279994

That seems like a hassle to do but i might give it a shot as last resort since i legit didn't know about this.

Thank you very much for the tutorial.

• GL Happy 1

1 hour ago, ALCRD said:

I tried reducing the food there is no difference between having over 100k kcal or 10-20k kcal FPS considerably tanked regardless.

Also this affects NEW GAME aswell. Once i explore 20-30% of the map fps drops to 40 in slow mode with just 3 dupes and barely any base estabilished as where before update it was constant 60 fps in both modes in early game and only started tanking when i had 12 dupes , decent sized colony and quite few ranches. Even then the FPS drops weren't that severe 50~ slow mode and 40~ in fast mode in busiest area with lots of critters and dupes working. Now its 30 in slow mode and barely 20 in fast mode and game slows down and stutters in fast mode in same scenario.

And worth mentioning before i moved to new game i tried collapsing the resource list and deleting my storage and food bins and all their contents cause i thought maybe the resource list was the culprit and the way it counts resources now.  No the fps was unaffected.

I tried deleting majority of my base including the ranched critters. Game's fps was unaffected.

Something else is causing major slowdowns and FPS problems on partially explored maps after the update.

In Steam, it's still possible to offer a 'Legacy' branch in the Betas menu, if the system requirements for the recent release are just not possible for so many people who play the game already.  ONI is a big part of how I relax after work, and it's only gotten better and more performant in the last few years.  Only now has the game turned unplayably slow.  If they can just offer the last pre-merge version as a Legacy branch, a lot of people (like you and me) who will still be able to play the game.

• Like 1

Started a new game.  Brand new game still plays at a solid 60 FPS on 3x mode for me on the Xeon E5.  My old save is straight up ruined and struggles to achieve anything close to a solid 20 fps. I'll try to pay attention to how performance changes as this new map develops.

• Wavey 1
  • GL Happy 1

5 minutes ago, egolayer13 said:

Started a new game.  Brand new game still plays at a solid 60 FPS on 3x mode for me on the Xeon E5.  My old save is straight up ruined and struggles to achieve anything close to a solid 20 fps. I'll try to pay attention to how performance changes as this new map develops.

Keep the forum posted, then forumistas or Klei can perhaps try to help with their input and ideas :encouragement:

19 minutes ago, egolayer13 said:

Yup at the portal and in new game when you didn't do much digging or exploring its solid 60 fps.

However once i uncovered 20-30% of the map vertically and horizotally a bit.Even with nothing built and just 3 dupes the fps tanked to 40 on my system while before it was constant 60 fps in both modes in similar early game scenario and with more dupes and small base estabilished.

Edited by ALCRD

4 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

Yup at the portal and in new game when you didn't do much digging or exploring its solid 60 fps.

However once i uncovered 20-30% of the map vertically and horizotally a bit.

Even with nothing built and just 3 dupes the fps tanked to 40 on my system while before it was constant 60 fps in both modes in similar early game scenario and with more dupes and small base estabilished.

Yep, same so far.  I'm only 5 cycles in an I've dropped 15 FPS.

Screenshot from 2021-07-16 06-08-21-fs8.png

• Big Ups 1