Option to Switch off Smiling Spiders, plz

@AlienMagi A hostile spider can be attacked by pressing f, allied ones shouldn't be targeted. They could also instead give the spiders some other visual flair to show they are docile. I will say tho that the smile has grown on me, but still believe that the people who don't like it should have a way to turn it off. Also, this wasn't ever a problem before the update, and if you're attacking hostile spiders with a bunch of other friendly spiders nearby, you're not making a very good decision.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:42 AM, SuperMeatGoy said:

I should add that from a gameplay perspective, the spider's sh*t-eating grin is still pointless.

From a gameplay perspective, any other player in the server can immediately tell that a Spider they see is tethered to Webber if it's smiling while far from a den.

59 minutes ago, Wendy C. said:

If you can legitimately say the smiling spiders are disturbing to you... 

Then there's something wrong with you. 

It's a cartoon blob. 

Kinda have to agree with Wendy C. here.

This whole tread isn't any different than the complaint posts over the Lunar horror creatures that ended up influencing Klei to change their art direction. Or the ones that ended up in the retirement of Warbucks. Klei can heed vocal minorities too much sometimes. How come this many people weren't offended by always open default faces of spiders all this one or the Rider and Pudgy looks of the beefalos?

Options to change actual art sprites in gameplay seem more like requests that should be made to modders rather than the game developpers.

1 minute ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Options to change actual art sprites in gameplay seem more like a request that should be make to modders rather than the game developpers.

I just want the devs to give the spiders a new idle so they don't seem like they're frozen in time. Like two or five frames of movement.

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

I just want the devs to give the spiders a new idle so they don't seem like they're frozen in time. Like two or five frames of movement.

It does feel a bit uncanny with the human-like facial expressions.  I can understand that the spider itself wouldn't be jiggling since insects and arachnids in real life don't move like a mammal does.  But that ever non-moving face just staring deep into your monitor is unsettling.

I think this is where the 'floating head avatar' up-down motion on the mouth/eyes would make it less jarring even if the body was left stationary.

I'm personally not 'disturbed' by the smiles, but they definitely look unnatural. Borderline unsettling.

image.png.6ab7bd2767b1d4d3d92dad7b88af0718.png

Honestly making them just close their mouths (like in Wurt's animatic) might work.
Less of a "HAHA HAPPY TIME" and more "FINE I WON'T BITE THEM."

I agree with 2 opinions presented here:

-leave spiders the way they were before and give them an animation where they smile (and also add other idle aniamtion, spiders are still just a still image)

-replace "friendly spiders" with "pacified spiders"

Spoiler

image.png.864d00a5f0497c7547e424751e514c41.png

22 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

This whole tread isn't any different than the complaint posts over the Lunar horror creatures that ended up influencing Klei to change their art direction. Or the ones that ended up in the retirement of Warbucks. Klei can heed vocal minorities too much sometimes.

1. Klei didn't change their art direction at all, body horror just was not relevant for a while as the updates focused mainly on the natural ocean creatures and mutated plants. Just a couple updates ago we got the moonstorm birds: Misshapen Birds are a robin with its body rotated while the wings, beak and legs stay in place, and the Moonblind Crows are a crow with its feathers bleached white and its face literally peeled back, with the meat inside exposed.
2. Klei has mentioned before that they did not receive any complaints about Warbucks, and that they made the decision to remove him of their own volition.

I don't think the smiling spiders need a option toggle (and I believe it would negatively impact gameplay if they had one), but I'm not a fan of the narrative that "vocal minorities" are forcing Klei to do stuff like this. Especially when Klei didn't even add the option to turn off the Lunar Island's body horror mobs for years.

1 hour ago, ZolaRay03 said:

I just dont like that they stand still without any animation when tamed

This, exactly. I didn't have a problem before the update but if they moved while tamed, that would help the players both Webber and non-webber players.

man dst is not gonna go back to the little scary theme he had huh? people don't want mutated monster, don't want moving head icons, want to turn off a smile (i agree that it  should at least have some idle animations instead of standing still though) ...

An idea for Follower spiders is... perhaps have them do a small salute animation every once in a while, like Walter does?

I know it doesn't make sense for spiders to do it, but it'd get the idea across that they're loyal/followers in a glance.

Passive spiders could close their mouths perhaps instead of the constant grimace, and maybe that'd be helpful?

11 hours ago, rafaelluismpalm said:

man dst is not gonna go back to the little scary theme he had huh? people don't want mutated monster, don't want moving head icons, want to turn off a smile (i agree that it  should at least have some idle animations instead of standing still though) ...

The reason I don't like the smile is it feels crappy, as if tweaked by some cheap mod. I'm not against DST gaining more of the original creepy vibe.

Also, I would totally love it if Klei could come up with spiders' new idle and friendly animations. However, the thing I had in mind while posting the topic was that doing such would cost developers much effort they might not be able to spare. So, an option for the smile could be like an "easy fix".

However, your reply point to me that making new animations is more likely a better solution, as agreed by most people. Although it requires more work, it will make a big difference.

Archived