[Spaced Out! Update] - 465635

4 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

it gives 100% out that what you feed them, Dirt ,Slime, Algae, Fertilizer , Polluted Dirt, those have highest value 140 kg, soo they give 140 coal for every eating

I don't want to feed them any of those. I mean sage hatches eating duplicant food.

1 hour ago, space glider said:
  • :wilson_cry: rly hard to store food now.

Not really. It does mean we'll have to make cooling loops based on freezable liquids (crude or p initially) and deal with cooling the food storage area down Prepare the deep freeze rooms!

LOVE the diamond press. Balance seems fine IMO but again, I think we're entering a phase where we need the ability to pipe radiation places.

Great update, thanks!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, JRup said:

Let's upvote adding clay to sage hatch diet... Then my months long plan will be complete.

not sure if using caly is cheaper as it needs sand, sand needed also for other stuff like class , polluted water filter

1 minute ago, gabberworld said:

not sure if using caly is cheaper as it needs sand, sand needed also for other stuff like class , polluted water filter

Voodoo sticks are still in the air with chants beckoning rain from the heavens, regolith rain.

• Haha 4

Electroely figured out drillcone uses diamond at the rate of 5% of mass collected.

So if you mine 100kg of algae it uses up 5kg of diamond in the drillcone.

Max yeild from a mission is therefore 20t before needing to land the rocket to refill the drillcone with more diamond.

Uranium from space is very renewable if you use the research reactor to make diamond. Mining uranium ore from the radioactive gas cloud gives 18kg of enriched uranium per 1kg of diamond if you refine the uranium using beetas. You need 10 radbolts per kg of diamond so that's 1.8 radbolts per kg of enriched uranium. That comes out to 100kg per operation / 1.8 radbolts per kg = 55.6 radbolts per operation needed to break even. Research reactor churns out tons of radiation so meeting this 55 radbolt quota shouldn't be an issue so long as you put a radbolt generator somewhere in there.

The uranium centrifuge gives a little bit more grim numbers as it only turns 10% of the uranium ore mass into enriched uranium iirc. Using the uranium centrifuge requires 500 radbolts per operation to go towards diamond production. Since diamond production also requires dupe labor and mining requires rocket launches this translates to more of everything else as well. Not sustainable imo.

Mining radioactive asteroid fields is similarly inefficient, coming back from missions with bleach stone, rust and sulfur. This increases the radbolt cost from 55.6 radbolts per operation to 309 radbolts per operation.

Worst case scenario you're mining just radioactive asteroid fields and processing the ore with centrifuges, in which case you'd need a whopping 2,778 radbolts per operation to be sustainable. 

Edit - i messed up a little, the reactor takes 200kg of enU per operation, not 100kg. So I think each radbolt total needs to be doubled.

Edited by n_t_p

20 minutes ago, spkthed said:

Not really. It does mean we'll have to make cooling loops based on freezable liquids (crude or p initially) and deal with cooling the food storage area down Prepare the deep freeze rooms!

Just my thought. Things have gotten more late-game, but in the end this could even be more energy-efficient.

47 minutes ago, spkthed said:

Don't use petrol for freezing loops! Use ethanol, it is more power efficient since it has a higher specific heat capacity

Edited by n_t_p
  • Like 3

Thanks for figuring out the cost of diamond per mining mission and radbolts per kg of diamond.  I think the drillcone requiring diamond to build is good, but using it as a consumable will be too strong of a deterrent to actually going on regular drilling missions, which in turn will remove some strategies in terms of colony development. 

Really happy to see another use for refined carbon, and a new end game power dump / objective. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spkthed said:

LOVE the diamond press. Balance seems fine IMO but again, I think we're entering a phase where we need the ability to pipe radiation places.

Great update, thanks!

not 100% on this (haven't tested it yet) but if you put a couple of blocks of very cold metal blocks, insulate them cool them with a liquid cooling loop then conveyor the food through here on the way to vacuum storage....you should be able to have the food freeze on the way to the vacuum, so no need to add gas and cooling to the storage area.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Electroely said:

but isn't 100 radbolts for 10kg a bit too much? The drillcone says it needs 1000kg of diamonds when first built.

Yes, especially since the radbolt loop generator has been fix. We really need more radioactivity source.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, space glider said:
  • :wilson_cry: rly hard to store food now.

Not at all. Same as before, you just have to actually cool it (and thus build a cooler) before sticking it in a vacuum.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, spkthed said:

It's really just this simple.  Carbon pit, wheeze wort (in hydrogen), temperature regulator.  I was putting the food in unpowered fridges but then I got lazy and just started dumping it on the floor.  At first, I didn't have the temp regulator there and my CO2 liquified on me.  Maintains a stable -40C in the pit.  Air temp above is 30C.  It just works.  500 cycles without a problem.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.deb293357122999432dec385f672ce16.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bromster said:

How is Diamond supplied to the Drillcone? Is this something that has to be loaded into a cargo module and then the drillcone consumes it from there?

I was just struggling to figure this out myself. You need to build a ladder  directly below the drillcone. It's awkward, and the tile is only available with certain modules below the drillcone. I suspect it's an effort to reincorporate the gantry. 

Also, it wasn't listed in the patch notes, but they changed the Drillcone height from 4 to 2. This is a pretty big nerf to the radbolt and steam rockets, which are now unable to fit all 3 storage modules. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 4.08.06 PM (2).png

• Sad Dupe 1

3 hours ago, gabberworld said:

pip farm + Fertilizer  + sage hatch = coal

could you explain how the pip farm + fertilizer help in getting coal?

I'm looking for some ways of producing renewable coal too

5 minutes ago, nipodemos said:

could you explain how the pip farm + fertilizer help in getting coal?

I'm looking for some ways of producing renewable coal too

pip produces the dirt that you can either feed directly to sage hatch or use dirt for make the fertilizer, difference is for make the fertilizer it needs less dirt than direct feeding for sage hatch

Edited by gabberworld
  • Like 1

Anybody tried how many radbolts can you make using a research reactor. Assuming the reactor powers the the radbolt generators you can afford a limited amount of those. But even just a few of them should produce radbolts at a pretty fast pace with all the radioactivity around the reactor itself. Now with them shooting at max charge (500) to minimize losses and assuming we get a way for teh radbolts to leave the reactor room tey should allow multiple presses to run continously for just the cost uranium used to power the reactor. I wonder if we can figure out the uranium to diamond ratio of such a setup.

4 hours ago, Lbphero said:

I don't want to feed them any of those. I mean sage hatches eating duplicant food.

Hatches eating dupe food get more calories out of it so they will eat just a couple kgs per cycle instead of 140 for non edibles. Better let the food rot first before feeding them if you want more coal.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, n_t_p said:

Worst case scenario you're mining just radioactive asteroid fields and processing the ore with centrifuges, in which case you'd need a whopping 2,778 radbolts per operation to be sustainable. 

Do you mean uranium is not really sustainable at the moment unless you can produce 2'778 radbolts per trip to mine it ?