[Spaced Out! Update] - 465635

• Developer

Hi friends! Today's Testing branch patch includes more balancing and tuning in the Space POI resource loop. The Drillcone now has an input cost of Diamond in order to keep the bits sharp and grindy. Diamond!? Yes, you can make your own high-quality carbon crystals using the new Diamond Press building. Further resources have been shuffled in the Space POIs to make sure they're playing nicely with existing refinement loops. There's a number of other fixes both in space and on the ground. Be sure to check out the updated sounds and codex entries too! And thanks for all your feedback.

Patch 465726
Bugs

• Fixed crash that could occur when using the diamond press.

Patch 465635
Features

• Added Diamond Press building for converting refined carbon to diamond.
  • Added sounds for Experiment 52B.

Changes

• Removed some highly refined resources from space POIs
  • Changed visual order of unlocked items within a research tech.
  • Glass Blowing tech is now a perquisite to New Media tech.
  • Additional slight tech tree adjustments to include new Pressurized Forging tech.
  • Foods in vacuum now use exclusively their internal temperature to decide if they are refrigerated or not.
  • Drillcone now consumes diamond during operation.
  • Updated Jumping Joya, Mealwood and Mirthleaf codex entries.
  • Updated Arbor Tree, Bog Bucket and Grubfruit Plant codex entries.
  • Added space POI descriptions to UI details panel.
  • Artifact transport module art polish.
  • Clarified Drillcone description strings
  • Added “remaining cargo capacity” status items to rockets in flight with cargo modules

Bugs

• Fixed issue causing Duplicants to sometimes leave rockets at launch.
  • Crash Report Screen now uploads the correct save file automatically when you report the crash.
  • Space POIs no longer displays red/yellow alerts.
  • Fixed issue preventing Drillcone harvesting after changing space paths.
  • Fixed issue allowing space POI to be harvested despite zero remaining mass
  • Fixed issue causing Drillcone sidescreen to give misleading "drilling" status.
  • Ores now have a temperature buffer for when they state transition so they don't freeze/melt immediately.
  • Fixed Experiment 52B description to say it emits Resin instead of Isoresin.
  • Building complete sound no longer plays when Plug Slugs sleep.
  • Fixed crash that could occur when selecting rockets after loading two save games.

View full update

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3
  • Ninja 1
  • Big Ups 5

3 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Added Diamond Press building for converting refined carbon to diamond

Excellent! I don't mind some things only getting renewable late in the game, but I really want everything that cannot easily be replaces by something else to get renewable eventually. Also, more industrial options are always better.

Edited by Gurgel
  • Like 4
  • Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1

http://www.madehow.com/Volume-2/Diamond.html

soo i think its wrong for make it from refined carbon, instead it should use igneous rock also there typed sometimes you get , % is small

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimberlite

direction about machinery is right tho

ok there is also compressed diamond but that needs high pressure, soo im assuming you use other components as well + good amount off W 

Edited by gabberworld

Idk what to use fields for if not diamonds, I assumed that was going to be the main use for fields since diamond tempshifts chew through the naturally generating diamond so quickly. Maybe uranium still I guess, or fullerite if you don't want to go to water planet for some reason. Weird move to introduce two sources of diamond in one update. We'll see how it goes I guess.

Good move changing food to use internal temp. Debris exchanges temp with the tile it rests on, so we can still cool it while it's in vacuum, or go back to CO2/chlorine. People will probably switch from vacuum exploit to powered fridges which is nice.

9 minutes ago, space glider said:
  • :wilson_cry: rly hard to store food now.

Don't overproduce food then. Figure out how much you need for the number of dupes in your colony and provide that much, plus an extra 10% for safety. You won't ever end up in the situation of millions of calories of food expiring if you feed excess food to the tree or just stop overproducing.

30 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Excellent! I don't mind some things only getting renewable late in the game, but I really want everything that cannot easily be replaces by something else to get renewable eventually. Also, more industrial options are always better.

I'm just confused by the POIs and the station both producing diamond. Did this update also remove diamond from space POIs?

EDIT - someone told me diamond is removed from space POIs. 

Edited by n_t_p
  • Like 2

Very cool update on the food in vacuum thing fix. 
@Ipsquiggle I do have a tiny question for anyone in the dev team if it is possible ? I only ask myself if the nuclear fallout from the radbolts will stays hot and it is intentional and not a bug .New concepts of machines would benefit from it (and it's dangerous :)) so personally i hope it's there for good.

You guys are awesome with the amount and the quality of the content that gets out.Really impressed.

Have a nice weekend !

Edited by Swoop5994
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, n_t_p said:

Anybody know how diamond hungry the drillcones are?

Maybe devs will use fields to introduce new resources. 

i dont know i not looked, but in reality it depends what material you drill, harder material needs more

Nice changes.

While tweaking the drillcone, could you update its animation? It looks glitched... The cogs should spinn all 360*, jupmping there and back looks bad... Also, I would't mind a drill on top of drillcone, but this a small detail compared to glitched cogs...

Thanks

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, n_t_p said:

Anybody know how diamond hungry the drillcones are?

Maybe devs will use fields to introduce new resources. 

im looking into the other ways to come up with refined carbon other than coal (which is not infinite) i only find that liquid carbon is tying them 3 together and that the gas form is kind of a dead-end since you can only do it with coal or diamond or refined carbon....im thinking there should be a way to get the carbon liquid or gas from the carbon dioxide volcano then get it to liquid and to solid to make diamonds entirely agree with you there is a element source missing somewhere in there from my point of view 

Edited by Swoop5994

1 minute ago, Swoop5994 said:

im looking into the other ways to come up with refined carbon other than coal (which is not infinite) i only find that liquid carbon is tying them 3 together and that the gas form is kind of a dead-end since you can only do it with coal or diamond or refined carbon....im thinking there should be a way to get the carbon gas from the carbon dioxide volcano then get it to liquid and to solid to make diamonds entirely agree with you there is a element source missing somewhere in there from my point of view 

lol what? Do you not know how hatches work?

• Like 2

For those who wanna see the new machine:

image.thumb.png.8ff2ab1574c449a86eadc4cf396a4879.png

It takes 10kg refined carbon and 100 radbolts to make 10kg diamond. 500 radbolt capacity.

I'm glad to have a new radbolt consumer, but isn't 100 radbolts for 10kg a bit too much? The drillcone says it needs 1000kg of diamonds when first built.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Depending on how diamond hungry the drillcone is I can see this being used as a source of metals for players that don't know how to tame volcanoes. Or an algae/water source on remote planetoids with no water or oxygen geysers/vents. Really depends on how much diamond it takes though.

Hatches can provide lots and lots of coal, or carbon fields will likely provide more carbon material than it takes to mine them, but the main cost of the diamond press is radbolts. 100 radbolts for 10kg of diamond. That means 8000 radbolts for a single tempshift plate. The carbon requirement is inconsequential compared to the radiation source, we'll probably need a research reactor for scalable diamond production.

Just now, Electroely said:

It takes 10kg refined carbon and 100 radbolts to make 10kg diamond. 500 radbolt capacity.

I'm glad to have a new radbolt consumer, but isn't 100 radbolts for 10kg a bit too much? The drillcone says it needs 1000kg of diamonds when first built.

Reallly depends on how quickly it burns though those 1000kg.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Electroely said:

only refined carbon? no high pressure air at all and high temp?

how much kw it uses?

Edited by gabberworld

1 minute ago, Electroely said:

Ofc we must play and test, but I guess it is fine.

I mean - before this change everything was OK, now we can on top of it sink some radbolts (read - some energy) to produce diamods. It is not like those radbolts are taken away from you and now your base will starve. If you think of it as lategame power sink it should be fine - expensive, but you can live without it, and if you make it work it produces great rewards.

Not sure how it is balanced with drillcone cost, but on itself it should be OK

3 minutes ago, gabberworld said:

how much kw it uses?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 628960_1452790609 said:

Using radiation to craft diamonds is certainly a galaxy-brained decision. I hope it's temporary. I know radbolts need additional uses but I feel this isn't it.

im guessing ratbolts  compensate the high temp what diamonds need for produce

Just now, Lbphero said:

Neat! I have to wonder how good sage hatches are at making coal...

it gives 100% out that what you feed them, Dirt ,Slime, Algae, Fertilizer , Polluted Dirt, those have highest value 140 kg, soo they give 140 coal for every eating