[Spaced Out! Update] - 465635

I'm not sure why are we talking about radbolts as if they were rare and non-renewable...

Guys, all you need to get radbolts is some power. And time. This stuff radiates from the space with no meteor hazzard or anything close to it. You setup the generators, some solar panel and you have unlimited rabolts until the end of the game. Radbolts are the most renewable resource in the game, maybe just 2nd to duplicant pee in large bases. You don't need uranium ore to generate them, you dont need to feed beetas - sure those help, but if you have space, or shinebugs, or wheezworts you have as much radbolts as you need.

I believe that those source of radiation are too easy to setup and they should be balanced somehow to encourage usage of research reactor more, but before that happens - you will have no troubles with converting your power to radbolts.

• Like 2

yes rad is easy, its just only at beginning when its harder, rad can be collected even from shine bugs those are usually in beginning game, not to mention the sun light, that can be the full radbolt farm 

Edited by gabberworld
  • Like 1

Do any of the space POIs produce biological specimens?  It would be nice if some of them occasionally returned a critter egg of plant seed.  Particularly something that isn't available elsewhere.  I've kind of had my fill of colonizing other asteroids.  I made myself a single large asteroid to play on with nothing but space POIs.  The problem as I now realize is that I neglected to include pips or arbor trees.  The whole thing still needs some polish anyway, but, space POIs could mark a return to the base game with most of the new features present.

nobody talked about the fact that now radbolt collisions spawn HEATS and RADS boths so you can harvest the rads from the fallout they create and do more radbolt to collide to do more fallout ect and then you open your loop to send some where you want ? isn't the rad detector with a bit of automation can close and open doors to let radbolts passed a the right time ? then we have the rads done by radbolt engine that should be gatherable...

with infinite uranium and a few research reactor too i don't think we lack ways of making bolt AT ALL but it is an opinion,not trying to shove ideas down anyone's throats. And further more nuclear meltdown in a controlled environment to gather the rads as not being tested or if so not by many (we dont see it in any /r posts or neither here.having a power and bolt sink is definitely a good thing i think.i dont think your expected to load your nosecone of a ton of diamond on cycle 150...

Adding too much source when you can already make some producting loops i think would make the game so easy that it wont have any challenges at all.

Only a opinion .

(curious to see if we will have a mechanic with yellow cake, a mechanic to use in builds more than a new building but we will see)

Edit : indeed im not talking about the miniature ovious loop that was possible before the nerf..Just the fact that they still do create fallout and heat when collision between radbolt occurs from a distance (i just saw the post with the rads collectors in the explosion radius of the collisions...nerf was needed i think i just hope they dont completely remove the heat and fallout creation in collisions because someone else find an exploity way of using it....but you guys do what you want to...

Edited by Swoop5994

On 5/29/2021 at 1:38 AM, RonEmpire said:

Nah  just use the temperature sensor for rails.   

Which is stupid deep in the research tree and needs both materials and orbital research, unfortunately.

Not a big problem if the patch hits your already established colony, but starting out with the change is tougher.

Edited by WeSaidMeh
  • Like 1

Hey there ! It would be nice to have some form of advice on which update to start a new play-through on. The new stuff looks awesome but i wouldn't want to miss features that require world regeneration to use. Would you guys say that starting on this test branch update is a good idea or should we wait for the full update like we did for Peculiar Plants ? Thanks for any info given :)

• Big Ups 1
  • GL Happy 1

32 minutes ago, Fleefie said:

Hey there ! It would be nice to have some form of advice on which update to start a new play-through on. The new stuff looks awesome but i wouldn't want to miss features that require world regeneration to use. Would you guys say that starting on this test branch update is a good idea or should we wait for the full update like we did for Peculiar Plants ? Thanks for any info given :)

Starting on this testing branch would, IMHO, be a good idea as with the last 20 test branches :lol: If you want to avoid world generation issues like missing content, then perhaps wait until the full dlc release.

Its like some people buying Christmas food specialities in Summer - Its not the same, but it can be nice :beguiled:

image.png.4fecd631e712ed8b2eaf135982a4a084.pngThe Summer Xmas cake from any random test branch

Edited by babba

9 hours ago, Fleefie said:

Hey there ! It would be nice to have some form of advice on which update to start a new play-through on. The new stuff looks awesome but i wouldn't want to miss features that require world regeneration to use. Would you guys say that starting on this test branch update is a good idea or should we wait for the full update like we did for Peculiar Plants ? Thanks for any info given

That would be cool, but we must assume that game in EA may change more times that devs themselves can imagine at this moment. What they can say is "we promise to tell you when we believe worldgen will be stable, unless we decide to change it later for some reason". And changing it later would upset many people who started new game based on devs' declaration.

I believe that the only ETA for stable worldgen and safe new game time is the release date. And as much as I can't wait for it and am excited to play new game, any promises before the release could end up being broken, and that's good reason not to make ones. Or even worse - KLEI would feel obliged to keep such promise and they would discard great ideas and game improvements only because they would break that promise...

• Like 2
  • Big Ups 1

I played a lot with Radbolts and automation to figure how to catch a steady pulse signal the most efficient method i found was Visco-gel surrounding the sensors for radiations and you set it to above 0 you got a pulse when the radbolt pass.you have to count a few tiles and you can slow bolts with reflector before the doors. If many passes at the same place, the visco gel surrounding helps with the radiations getting to the sensors...they still keep a 0 .

I made a thing i need to polish a bit but yeah i got Radbolt to collides in X  shape in a very insolated and enclosed room And let me tell you that the room was Getting radioactive as hell and contaminated with nuclear dusts and very HOT. With the build i have Many choices and the one i wanted to try first is getting bolts and rads out of this mess trough automateds conduits (controlled way) And here it was. Do i end up with more radbolt than i create to collide ? i don't think so i should count them as the difference might not be huge, did i create a pool of radioactive pee (nuc.waste) Yes and enough heat in the air to melt the bolts reflectors themselves .Could most of the radiations i was using being from 3 intentionals meltdowns in a vertical bunker surrounded by viscogel ? i don't  know what you are talking about :) i'll try to make it less laggy for sharing.

I really think conduits are NOT needed for the radbolt or the radiations it would be completely broken easy what i think is needed is a way to make all of this less Laggy because when i was running my bolts production all the way trough automated doors and the colliders then back out i was having some major lag but i might have been a bit hungry with the size of the thing. I'l get back to it and share it to who want it to fiddle with.

this is not boring lol

Edit: oh yeah for curious i tried collisions of radbolt on depleted uranium and even on yellowcake to see if it would do something,nope...collisions In the middles of large waterfalls (depend on the element but it can seal) for the waterfalls i tried many substances like liquid depleted uranium,liquid lead, visco-gel,super-coolant,water,ethanol,crude oil ....i think that"s it of course when collision occurs inside a flow of liquid you get states changes if you do it in the middle of 2 flows that's a great heat/waste/rads containment depends on the liquid used.

Edited by Swoop5994

On 5/30/2021 at 9:06 AM, WeSaidMeh said:

Which is stupid deep in the research tree and needs both materials and orbital research, unfortunately.

Not a big problem if the patch hits your already established colony, but starting out with the change is tougher.

"more thorough mastery of temperature and atmosphere is required to fully preserve food"

that's a quote from the patch notes. seems like its supposed to be challenge to preserve food infinitely so that's why its not as easy early game

Edited by Parusoid
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Swoop5994 said:

I really think conduits are NOT needed for the radbolt or the radiations it would be completely broken easy

The challenge should come from establishing renewable sources of radioactive fuel, disposing of nuclear waste, managing radiation sickness, and preventing reactor meltdowns, not from directing radbolts to where they're supposed to go.

33 minutes ago, Parusoid said:

"more thorough mastery of temperature and atmosphere is required to fully preserve food"

that's a quote from the patch notes. seems like its supposed to be challenge to preserve food infinitely so that's why its not as easy early game

My take also. Still entirely doable and by the time it is needed, players should have an understanding how to do it. 

29 minutes ago, goboking said:

The challenge should come from establishing renewable sources of radioactive fuel, disposing of nuclear waste, managing radiation sickness, and preventing reactor meltdowns, not from directing radbolts to where they're supposed to go.

With the new "500" max size setting for radbolt transmission, distribution should not be much of a challenge anymore.

• Big Ups 1

11 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

distribution should not be much of a challenge anymore.

Was distribution really a challenge? (I usually would build any consumer of radbolts next to a radbolt generator)

I find "timing" to be the challenge and it cannot be automated yet. There is no "check radbolt capacity" automation of any kind and radiation sensor doesn't help much with radbolt count.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sakura_sk said:

Was distribution really a challenge? (I usually would build any consumer of radbolts next to a radbolt generator)

Well, people (me, for example) may want to have radbolt installations distributed over a larger space or may want to use surface radbolts some distance below the surface. 

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

Radbolts to crush down refined carbon seems like a very arbitrary reason to use radiation, much like how it's weird that you need atomic research to get solar power. I think radiation mechanics should stand more on their own rather than getting these very arbitrary tie-ins.

Also, very glad to see that "just put your food in a vacuum tile with water next to it" is axed, but now we're in a slightly awkward state where fridges are not necessarily a noob trap, but just painful. Could we please get a buff to fridges so they protect food inside from polluted oxygen? It would make them more meaningful as an early-game protective building, especially on the mess that is the swamp start.

4 minutes ago, Nebbie said:

Could we please get a buff to fridges so they protect food inside from polluted oxygen?

Let's franken-pipe chlorine into them. :twisted:

(Like an optional protection-fee resource...)

50 minutes ago, JRup said:

Let's franken-pipe chlorine into them. :twisted:

(Like an optional protection-fee resource...)

I would think chlorine kills all germs and keeps food fresh, but comes with a downside of a debuff when the food is eaten unless it's given time to lose the chlorine taste. Do note chlorine now causes a debuff when dupes go through it unprotected.

On 5/28/2021 at 3:59 PM, Electroely said:

I'm glad to have a new radbolt consumer, but isn't 100 radbolts for 10kg a bit too much? The drillcone says it needs 1000kg of diamonds when first built.

Coming back to this after a while of contemplation... I think 100 radbolts is actually totally fine. I think it's good we finally have a radbolt consumer that produces a material rather than complete a task - it finally gives me a reason to get a strong radbolt producer consistently beyond the usual 4/5 wheezewort setup because the radbolts I stockpile between the time I do basic research and the time I get to the final entries in the research trees won't be enough to produce large amounts of diamond. I think this addition, along with the new 500 radbolt per shot limit on radbolt generators, makes the research reactor a much more appealing building to set up, and with the reactor being more appealing, I'm more encouraged to try ranching beetas and eventually set up good infrastructure for mining radioactive fields to refill my uranium reserves.

My only remaining complaint comes from the balancing of the fields themselves - the constant diamond cost makes some asteroid fields much less appealing than they were before. The Ice Asteroid Field is my main complaint - 70% of its content is just carbon dioxide.
I would personally be very happy if it was 70% granite instead - granite is commonly found in the Tundra biome and it's not currently renewable.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, goboking said:

renewable ressources is the uranium coming from the space mining spots... you need to ranch beetas and to refine it at a bigger pace i think i dont really know the exact numbers from the centrifuge or how much beetas needed to equal it but i will make sure to try both.

7 hours ago, goboking said:

disposing of nuclear waste, managing radiation sickness, and preventing reactor meltdowns, not from directing radbolts to where they're supposed to go.

At the moment the more waste i gather the more radbolt i produced from it but when out of contaminant it does have a really huge heat absorption capacity .i then let it fall into a vacuumed space near the collider when i purge with vacuum i had prepared in a adjacent room.There will be something to do with it in the long run i think but for now the payload cannon makes a good way of shooting it to the asteroid you dont use...i know you can pump it somewhere too if it's no too cold

The dupes need their suit when interacting with rads all the time of course then Radpills and the going to the bathroom remove rad thing works.

with what i had running you need some liquid elements to drop on the reactor if it's getting to hot instead of doing a row of steam turbines you then pump the steam produced (in vacuum where contaminant are removed)...in a nearby chamber 

6 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

I find "timing" to be the challenge and it cannot be automated yet. There is no "check radbolt capacity" automation of any kind and radiation sensor doesn't help much with radbolt count.

well timing is effectively the challenge to transport the, since they do trigger the rad sensor to (0.1 while passing trough) this can build up on the sensors and be difficult to spot if you have radiation coming from everywhere . Then the rabolt are transporting rad contaminant germs wich is detected by the germs sensor (the round one that look like a radar)....at lasty  not having a trail of contaminant you need the places you make them passed to be in a liquid (i used visco gel for my tests.) or a vacuum. wich works really great.you set the rad  sensor to 0.1 or 0 and you have a green pulse that will need to be buffered while you might need to use 1 or 2 reflector to slow the bol down before the door is open that or simple timers. with both you can automate with them to make them go somewhere to give off their MASSIVE HEAT

I really hope the Oni communauty is hoping for some 5 yr old puzzles or super OP way to manage the reactors and the waste Nuclear should be complicated this is the fun parts to find what you can do with that your left with and to have some ways of cleaning whole room with a button/flush waste somewhere else to be treated (i did not give much attention to it but i think the is more radioactive in his liquid form and there could be some way of doing something else than picking the rads from it for radbolt i think it is not completely done

Have a nice day

6 hours ago, Gurgel said:

i really think that players have to figure easy ways to have glacials temps in your fridge and use this cold to help cool down the base and the heat created with radbolts and generators.

making the food vacuum preserved or sealed in fridge make it all very too much easy..so the updates were really needed i find

Sorry if this is hard to understand im no writer..

Edited by Swoop5994

7 hours ago, sakura_sk said:

Was distribution really a challenge?

Assuming we're strictly talking about the research reactor, not really, but it is clunky.  If we're talking about other sources of radiation, then it's quite simple to get radbolts where they're needed.

2 hours ago, goboking said:

Assuming we're strictly talking about the research reactor, not really, but it is clunky.  If we're talking about other sources of radiation, then it's quite simple to get radbolts where they're needed.

im wondering how you pass the radbolt trough walls since i passed 3 hours trying ALL the sensors the game have, in different settings and atmosphere i finished by figuring that germs where detected or rads at 0.1 you got any trick simpler than mine ?

i am really curious it's just that.Really testing on debug at the moment (wich is very rare)  to see how effective the  research   reactor is really supposed to beat other means to make power...since colliding radbolt gives off heat for a millisecond at 4725 celsius i can assure you that you can turn crude oil in petrol or you got access to the sour gas to methane too wich is transforming at VERY good rates many others change of states that were needing very complex build  and where i take the radiations say a pile of enriched uranium with the radbolt absorber i not sure i can deplete it that way. and there the nuclear waste created along the heat the waste is producing rads so... i want to know how much steam turbines or Kwh can i produce in a medium size collider  im still testing Research reactor to see if i put the containers that gets out  of the reactor in the hot section of the colliders .. 4700 celsius i think it goes to gas

also can turn the nuclear waste to nuclear fallout gas and pump it in space if i need (with the plastic minipump only for now i didnt test all the materials of the other pumps but they where getting state change damage at the entrance)

But still need cooling insulations suits and all the whole kit because that is dangerous for everything living. im gonna share my result when it's running stable. God i hope this wont get nerfed this is so extreme, hard to setup and very dangerous for the dupes it's epic

Oh yeah btw managing the nuclear germs, the very intense heat, the nuclear fallout,and the radiation leak is part of my test at the moment for it to be ok for dupes to put fuel in a room and have the rest isolated in visco-gel/vacuum/lead/graphite i will try the lower materials too but vacuum does a very nice job...

Edited by Swoop5994