Who will be the the 3rd character reworked this year?

Who will be the the 3rd character reworked this year?  

208 members have voted

1. 1. Who you think will get a rework after Webber?

• Wilson
    • Wolfgang
    • Wx-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Maxwell
  2. 2. Who do you think WON'T be reworked next?

• Wilson
    • Wolfgang
    • Wx-78
    • Wickerbottom
    • Maxwell

I’m personally hoping it’s Wolfgang- I hate his current playstyle: There is so so much more Klei can do with a “Circus Strongman” beyond just raw stat boosts to damage.

and ever since Wurt came out and I watch her Merm Army “Merm Punching boulders” I’ve wanted that as a Strongman perk.

Im tired of characters who are just stat boosts or stat reductions... Take a game that came out in 2013 and start Modernizing it for 2021 already.

They need to be unique, they need cool abilities and lore, and they need to ultimately be fun to play as.

In my opinion: Wes is a Rework done right.

If not Wolfgang then Wilson is my second choice.. they’re both equally boring right now.

7 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I’m personally hoping it’s Wolfgang- I hate his current playstyle: There is so so much more Klei can do with a “Circus Strongman” beyond just raw stat boosts to damage.

and ever since Wurt came out and I watch her Merm Army “Merm Punching boulders” I’ve wanted that as a Strongman perk.

Im tired of characters who are just stat boosts or stat reductions... Take a game that came out in 2013 and start Modernizing it for 2021 already.

They need to be unique, they need cool abilities and lore, and they need to ultimately be fun to play as.

In my opinion: Wes is a Rework done right.

If not Wolfgang then Wilson is my second choice.. they’re both equally boring right now.

Wolfgang is an example of perfect character design. Clean and simple mechanics, fun and likable fluff, very powerful if played right.

More is not always better!

24 minutes ago, Slagger said:

WX would be cool because he don't have a big point to have him in team.

Being the best at clearing ruins, can eat spoiled food without penalty, has the highest movement speed and health.

7 minutes ago, clickrush said:

Wolfgang is an example of perfect character design. Clean and simple mechanics, fun and likable fluff, very powerful if played right.

More is not always better!

tbh if they were to rework him all i want is rework how his damage buff without nerfing it like connecting it to another stat that isnt super easy to maintain or do more with him being a scaredy cat buff man like he's apparently scared easily but we barely ever see it 

40 minutes ago, Dextops said:

tbh if they were to rework him all i want is rework how his damage buff without nerfing it like connecting it to another stat that isnt super easy to maintain or do more with him being a scaredy cat buff man like he's apparently scared easily but we barely ever see it 

Why make a perfectly fine, popular and powerful character more complicated? I wouldn’t mind a slight nerf, because I think he might still be above most characters because combat is so important, but such a clean design should not be messed with „just because“.

Just now, clickrush said:

Why make a perfectly fine, popular and powerful character more complicated? I wouldn’t mind a slight nerf, because I think he might still be above most characters because combat is so important, but such a clean design should not be messed with „just because“.

im not saying just because im saying for the first sentence it was more of a random suggestion but wolfgang is supposed to be a scaredy cat yet has barely anything relating it i would love to see more done with that because right now he just seems the fearless except he loses a microbit of more sanity from darkness

Just now, Dextops said:

im not saying just because im saying for the first sentence it was more of a random suggestion but wolfgang is supposed to be a scaredy cat yet has barely anything relating it i would love to see more done with that because right now he just seems the fearless except he loses a microbit of more sanity from darkness

Oh right I feel you. More sanity drain would be warranted for sure.

2 minutes ago, clickrush said:

I could ask why did they take a challenge character and give him perks that make him less challenging, free movement speed and free sanity regain are nothing to scoff at- And WES of all people have both now.

Theres also Wormwood who’s biggest downsides used to be inability to heal with foods when injured, but now that simple rot and fertilizers can force his bloom mode: Even Wormwoods become easier to play.

Lets not forget little fish girl Wurt who is vegetarian but RWYS gardens make this less of a challenge and more of a minor drawback.

Willow who’s downsides were being cold and being insane both of those are aided by warmth and protection from Bernie.

Woodie who used to could only chop so much wood before turning into a Beaver, can now chop as much wood as his heart desires- In fact it sort of broke Lucy Axe’s Lore because her warnings of chopping too much Wood now are no longer in the game, He can also now control his curse and has additional forms to choose from.

Wendy who’s downside was hitting weaker than normal is now completely nullified with the petal buff Abigail bestows on foe’s.

There is not a single reworked character (including Wes) that got HARDER to play... they’ve all been getting easier- dare I say “Simplified”

And I expect no less from the remaining reworks.

8 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I could ask why did they take a challenge character and give him perks that make him less challenging, free movement speed and free sanity regain are nothing to scoff at- And WES of all people have both now.

Theres also Wormwood who’s biggest downsides used to be inability to heal with foods when injured, but now that simple rot and fertilizers can force his bloom mode: Even Wormwoods become easier to play.

Lets not forget little fish girl Wurt who is vegetarian but RWYS gardens make this less of a challenge and more of a minor drawback.

Willow who’s downsides were being cold and being insane both of those are aided by warmth and protection from Bernie.

Woodie who used to could only chop so much wood before turning into a Beaver, can now chop as much wood as his heart desires- In fact it sort of broke Lucy Axe’s Lore because her warnings of chopping too much Wood now are no longer in the game, He can also now control his curse and has additional forms to choose from.

Wendy who’s downside was hitting weaker than normal is now completely nullified with the petal buff Abigail bestows on foe’s.

There is not a single reworked character (including Wes) that got HARDER to play... they’ve all been getting easier- dare I say “Simplified”

And I expect no less from the remaining reworks.

Wolfgang however was more powerful than all of these characters and is still arguably the most powerful character in general. Other characters outshine him in specific areas or bosses at best. But he remains the strongest general purpose combat character. I don’t think there is a need to buff him or make him easier to play.

edit: simplicity and ease are very different concepts btw. He is a very simple character but relies on you to know how to stack up food quicker and know the attack patterns of enemies better, so he isn’t super easy. Wendy and Wigfrid are more complex characters but arguably easier to play effectively.

10 minutes ago, clickrush said:

Wolfgang however was more powerful than all of these characters and is still arguably the most powerful character in general. Other characters outshine him in specific areas or bosses at best. But he remains the strongest general purpose combat character. I don’t think there is a need to buff him or make him easier to play.

This is where we disagree, removing puny form Wolfgang and making him only have normal or mighty forms would be buffing him, and if all other reworks are any indication to go by- Puny form could very well be going bye bye.

Which to a veteran player is NOTHING but to a new player- not suffering Puny mode could be all the difference between if they continue to play as him, or find someone that doesn’t get weaker when their running around low on food (which is quite often for newer players)

Ive literally watched my friends starve to death with an inventory full of Birchnuts just because they have yet to discover how to cook them.

Take away puny form- And Wolfgang just becomes 3x Stats.

it’s boring and needs to change- moving heavy items with no movement speed penalty, Superman punching boulders without needing a Pickaxe- those are the changes he needs.

In short: It simplifies the character and makes them fun.. without having to deal with the annoyance of downsides.

again- please reference all reworks so far.

Walter losses sanity when not at Max HP and he can’t gain sanity from wearing clothing items like top hats- However he has several gimmicky ways to restore sanity camp stories, wearing his pine tree hat and standing in a forest, his special tent roll etc..

each rework or newer character has been given a multitude of ways to avoid there downsides completely.

For example: I absolutely hate Warly, but admit-ably I have not played as him since the RWYS update was added, he’s probably ALOT easier to play now that I can create gardens to get food ingredients with.

What I HAVE played as a lot though is Wigfrid, and in the old days I would sometimes starve to death because I would explore biomes that just didn’t have any meat source at all in them, This has changed DRASTICALLY as well- because if you can’t find meat on land.. you can fish some out the now sailable oceans with a sea fishing rod at the edges of that meatless biome.

Every character so far has either directly (Wendy/Wes/Wormwood)- Or Indirectly (Wurt/Warly/Wigfrid) been becoming easier to play as.. either through the Rework itself- or through Klei adding new content to the game that makes getting meat & veggies easier.

More recently: Klei added Beefalo Bells from the YoTB event as permanently part of the game- this allows weak characters like WES to get himself a Beefalo for combat as early as Day 1 if your lucky enough. All that’s left is to plop a saddle on its back, feed it some grass or twigs, and then you can ride it to quickly gather resources or fight things like angry bee nests without having to be “Good” at playing as Wes.

So I stand by my choices of Wolfgang & Wilson- both are easily the least interesting characters in the entire game now (this used to be Wes but he’s actually “fun” now)

The TL:DR- the game is changing in many many ways... which is making a lot of things either directly, or indirectly easier... but in my opinion, it’s changing for the better.

Joe stated in discord that Winona was going to get some love due to what's happening to her boss, aka Wagstaff. 

Wagstaff is going to change the game a bit it looks like so I'd imagine Wx-78 will get some changes also. This is a good time for Wagstaff to upgrade them and would make sense lore wise.

I invision Wx-78 will get lunar energy modifications. Would be cool anyways.

1 hour ago, clickrush said:

Being the best at clearing ruins

That's not a thing others cannot do and it's just one thing. I don't think it's making sense to make character only build on ONE job. They should be good at multiple jobs.

can eat spoiled food without penalty

Umm... I didn't recoginized spoiled food harms to Wickerbottom in my first gameplays because game never forced me to eat. You just can cook spoiled food to make it fresher and use it in crockpot to do that again. By this way you can keep food fresh tree times of regular. And after all that if you just eat spoiled food than okay, you can use WX-78.

has the highest movement speed and health

You mean Highest movement speed while being a parasite of a Wickerbottom*. WX-78 have to wait for a random struck if he don't have Wickerbottom. If we are gonna evaluate characters by the team everytime, Maxwell can produce unlimited food by reading Wicker's food. He bassicly broke the starving system.

Health is good, not gonna lie but if we consider that a player be able to rush ruins, probably that person could kite attacks too, am I right?

I think WX's upgradability concept is underused, and (in my personal experience) leads to a lot of players hoarding gears early in the game. Making upgrades available that affect him other ways beyond basic stats would be cool, and I know the devs could come up with some fun stuff for us to experiment with.

35 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Joe stated in discord that Winona was going to get some love due to what's happening to her boss, aka Wagstaff. 

Hearing that, I'm torn with either WX or Winona getting a upgrade, very positive things.

Though Wolfgang will probably be closer to Maxwell's upgrade due to lore reasons with the traincrash. 

47 minutes ago, Slagger said:

That's not a thing others cannot do and it's just one thing. I don't think it's making sense to make character only build on ONE job. They should be good at multiple jobs.

Umm... I didn't recoginized spoiled food harms to Wickerbottom in my first gameplays because game never forced me to eat. You just can cook spoiled food to make it fresher and use it in crockpot to do that again. By this way you can keep food fresh tree times of regular. And after all that if you just eat spoiled food than okay, you can use WX-78.

You mean Highest movement speed while being a parasite of a Wickerbottom*. WX-78 have to wait for a random struck if he don't have Wickerbottom. If we are gonna evaluate characters by the team everytime, Maxwell can produce unlimited food by reading Wicker's food. He bassicly broke the starving system.

Health is good, not gonna lie but if we consider that a player be able to rush ruins, probably that person could kite attacks too, am I right?

WX can strike himself with lightning after accessing the magic tab. It’s expensive but very powerful.

Crock pot dishes essentially last double the amount for him, getting the full bonus when eating spoiled food essentially means you can travel way longer with less preparation.

And being the best ruins rusher is not a trivial perk either. It’s one of the most rewarding areas, if not *the most* rewarding one.

I still consider him to be one of the best characters in the game. His perks look simple on paper but in combination you get an almost unmatched amount of *freedom*.

3 hours ago, clickrush said:

Being the best at clearing ruins

Is he really inarguably the best? Wolfgang, Wendy (If you micro Abigail), Woodie, Maxwell, Wigfrid, Wormwood, and Wortox are all great ruins rushers.

can eat spoiled food without penalty

Which is useful, but that's not exactly a perk I would pick a character for. If you have bundling wrap it's nearly not a perk at all since he just goes twice as long before needing to take a few seconds to unbundle some more food, but if you don't then he goes up to twice as long before needing to go back to the ice box or pick up food off the floor or whatever. But you can already go 88-107 minutes with bacon & eggs, or if you're fine with some stale bacon and eggs since you're only losing 25 hunger per you can go 136-155 minutes. Him being able to go longer than that without getting more food is useful, but not very.

has the highest movement speed

Technically true, but needing to spend a ton of living logs, purple gems, and nmf to go through a ton of purple staves per year which tank your sanity in exchange for moving 50% faster is not nearly as useful as using a couple of grass/twigs/rot per year to permanently move 20% faster. WX's speed boost doesn't even come online until bare minimum he has 3 purple gems & 5 living logs, while Wormwood's comes online once he finds a nitre, spoiled fish, or glommer goop.

And Wormwood isn't nothing more than a movement speed boost. Wormwood has a bunch of very powerful perks instead of perks that need to be argued to be situationally useful sometimes.

highest health

Highest health doesn't matter. WX has no damage resistance so he still takes the same amount of damage and still needs to heal just as much as everyone else. There is no appreciable difference between the health of WX-78, Wolfgang, Wigfrid, Wortox, and Wurt. Maybe even add Webber to that list.

retURning to the toPic,

Yeah, as Howlvoid mentioned,

5 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Joe said that she'll likely get some attention with all that's going on with Wagstaff.

I also find it peculiar how the 2020 gameplay trailer seemed to focus on Winona specifically. I mean, why start it with her arrival in the Constant? Does it indicate that the events of RoT started right after Winona arrived, or is there some other reason she's being highlighted?

But if not Winona, then my next best guess is WX-78, also because of Wagstaff's appearance in the DST story.

5 hours ago, clickrush said:

WX can strike himself with lightning after accessing the magic tab. It’s expensive but very powerful.

Crock pot dishes essentially last double the amount for him, getting the full bonus when eating spoiled food essentially means you can travel way longer with less preparation.

And being the best ruins rusher is not a trivial perk either. It’s one of the most rewarding areas, if not *the most* rewarding one.

I still consider him to be one of the best characters in the game. His perks look simple on paper but in combination you get an almost unmatched amount of *freedom*.

Keeping overcharge up with telelocators is usually a waste of time unless you have materials to spare, literally the same as wilson for ruins rushing, and stats don't matter

being able to take twice as much food out of a bundle is nice though

15 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Is he really inarguably the best? Wolfgang, Wendy (If you micro Abigail), Woodie, Maxwell, Wigfrid, Wormwood, and Wortox are all great ruins rushers.

Hey, on the point on Maxwell being good at this:

I did a ruins rush yesterday as WX but I‘m not as hooked on the character anymore. Was actually trying to find one that I‘d like to play for a long term world. First trying Warly but, even though I think he is objectively well designed, I don’t enjoy his reliance on farming as much and I find thinking about and preparing foods that much less enjoyable than I thought.

However what caught my eye is your point above about Maxwell. He was one of my favs a couple years ago. I never even considered rushing ruins on him, even though I think the stuff you surface have strong benefits for him.

My question is: how is it feasible for him to do so? I assume you‘d use his combat shadows? I almost never used them and found them weak/wasteful, but I also exclusively played him with groups of friends where I would avoid combat.

Archived