Provocation topic about WX-78 canon gender

As you know, many people pronouns our beloved WX-78 as "them", but is that right? WX-78 have many quotes where they pronouns machines as "sister/brother", but what about WX-78 itself? If we can consider old skins are canon and made for lore/character backstory/other facts, thanks to Guest of Honor skin - we can know the exact answer - It`s him. I mean, why would WX-78 drew mustache for? And yeah, I know about Maxwell "Greeting, Mx. WX-78".  

image.thumb.png.6d28eef6086db7125facafb04914abec.png

Agree or disagree with me, and dont forget to share your thoughts 

Spoiler

Any member: WX-78 gender

Sunset Skye:
 wx.gif.ae9ae87aa3c27f138f8d5e5a48f1d8f6.gif

But for me, he is "male" because he looks like a man, not like a woman, transgender or so. And because my country doesn't have an analog for "them", I call entity according to it's appearance.

WX specifically has the gender "ROBOT" set in the code. The game itself refers to them with they/them pronouns on the death announcement, and other characters also use those pronouns in their quotes. So yes, they/them are most certainly their pronouns.

inb4 topic gets locked.

For Sunset Skye WX's gender is the single most important thing about the character. Gender and pronouns first, anything else last. Gotta remind and correct it every single and I mean, every single time WX is brought up. That gets annoying.

Yeah, the game uses "they/them" for WX, that's true. And? Why is that so important that it needs to be brought up all the time?

For me it's just easier to call WX an "it" or "he" without thinking about it too much, it's just how I naturally see him. I'm not gonna be forcing myself to be politically correct.

I don't think it matters much. There's no harm in calling them whatever you want, but there is harm in starting unnecessary arguements or deliberately misgendering them to upset somebody else. That being said, it's best to keep in mind that their canon pronouns are they/them.

Yeah WX-78's GoH is more masculine leaning, but 'presentation' doesn't equate to pronouns.

It's taboo as a 'lore keeper' to take what characters' say at face value (characters' may refer to WX as they/them but has WX ever clarified?), but in this case they/them is the best bet imo because it also serves as good umbrella pronouns if unknown.

I don't really think it's a 'gameplay feature' that a character is getting misgendered in-game so they/them it is. Nor am I super concerned with in this particular case because they're an empathy lacking robot.

Robot sentience is another discussion entirely, though.

At the end of the day who cares? WX is a fictional character, doesn't have feelings and cannot possibly be offended at what you call them/him/her/it/Mcgearsygearsaregood. If this was a real person then it would be respectful to use the pronouns they prefer, but policing pronoun usage for a fictional character when a person is innocently discussing them with no intent of being derogatory, which again isn't possible since we are talking about a character of fiction, is more annoying to me than the person ''misgendering'' WX. 

I know a person who literally only refers to Wurt as a little booger and I can promise you Wurt is not up at night crying her eyes out.

I usually call WX a string of very naughty words but when I'm not doing that... They/Them because... that's what the game uses...?

(Why start a Topic like this anyways? This really only seems like it was made to make people angry or otherwise have reactions.)

Archived