A public world was crashed, and regenerated

30 minutes ago, Xenna said:

There is absolutely no way we can do anything to fight against "holding server hostage" griefers if they afk'ing with 8accs

It might somewhat help if we had proper anti-afk mechanics, yet i believe this would only backfire horribly if griefers just locked people in statue-cages and waited until people would be kicked by that

8 hours ago, Xenna said:

Holding Server Hostage Group In Nutshell

Let me share with you my point of view.
I started playing DS since 2014, and bought DST since 2018. As a hardcore DS player, i always wanted to have a long last world, my personal best was 700 days on my shipwreck/rog or something, and that why i love to prolong a world, or see a world that last long.

I agree with you that the people block portal/ trap new player are wrong in their doing, but when i started playing in klei pub in 2018, when i first played with them, maybe im luckier than you, that portal wasnt blocked and i was able to enjoy the game and have a great experience in klei pub.

I, myself, got killed by portal trap several times when i was first play DST.

BUT KLEI PUBLIC NOWADAY NOLONGER DO PORTAL TRAP. Even before klei make their update about portal trap, since 2019, every single server i join in, none of them have any type of portal trapping. There are still griefers that try to make portal trap, but we try our best to deconstruct the trap, include spend hours just to kill all tentacles near portal.

Klei public has become better, much better compared to before. People prolong server now that actually keep that server friendly for new player that join ARENT griefers.

So stop grouping people actually want to make a server last long with people do portal trap.
Do those new 600 days, 2000 days, 1000 days klei public server now prevent you for joining or playing? If not why are you keep claiming they are holding server hostage?

What about afk script? Well im the only one actually made it and have it, and i havent use it since 2019, and have no intention to use it again. And as long as i know playing in pub, noone afk there anymore.

4 hours ago, Xenna said:

Don't forget the AFK-script and auto-kick mod with personal ban list still out there,

what if someday, some players decide they get multiple accounts to AFK 24/7 and auto-kick anyone joins the servers for their own "world record"?

The tools we have right now (Kick/Rollback) are more than enough to prevent baseburner/hammer but

There is absolutely no way we can do anything to fight against "holding server hostage" griefers if they afk'ing with 8accs

THIS is the problem

I watch a few details from the link you given, I saw a familiar name come into my eye, Kz

I have joined a public server few year ago, I rmb it was a dedicated server and he was admin, after I joined the server, some of them start asking questions/saying hello to me, from beginning till end, I ignored them because my goal was just doing random stuff alone and the server seems possible to long last as survival, I did feel offended when some of them think I might be griefer. Some of them being bossy and think they are pro, summon the shadow boss in base randomly without warning despite I explored into their base in a few days, I got killed because a level 3 shadow rook start aiming on me without any equipment, and no one even try to distract or hit the shadow rook until my death. I end up stop playing in their server.

I would say the entire experience is rude to me, but since they didn't trap the portal or instant kick, I end up not playing in server with them.

even so, IMO base destroyer is more problematic and impact the gameplay heavily, Kick&Rollback is far not enough, it did prevent the damage a few times.

but what after that? Did griefer stop griefing? No!

They burn the base when everyone leave the base or right a second before game saving, or taking tons of food in icebox clear in amount we barely notice before they take final action and leave, rollback is just not working when this happen

this happen to me recently, a griefer set non-renewable berry bush farm on fire right before saving in first autumn and instantly get caught, we kicked him and rollback, we thought we are safe now, but in fact there is second griefer(apparently working in team) staying in the dark, he keep stealing the food from icebox little by little and more than he need, and eventually burn down the base in a night right before saving, we returned to base and everything is gone, rollback is not helping. Even all these happened, I stay in the server and continue playing despite most players were mad and left the game, then the first griefer come back and set everything on fire,

I have no choice but leave the server and stop playing DST.

Rather than arguing subjectively about the merit of long term world,

the unilateral regeneration of world regeneration can be approached from a more fundamental approach, by examining klei patches.

Why was world regeneration a voting system?

Why was there a restriction for 20 days to start the vote?

Why was there a patch to fix an exploit allowing day 1 player to fix players?

Hence, I do not think Klei intended for unilateral world regeneration, and with the appearance of such exploit, there should be patches to prevent such exploit, lest this degenerate into the chaos caused by cloud. Patching out this exploit would be be in accordance with the precedence of measures taken against unilateral world regeneration.

On 4/17/2021 at 10:42 AM, gghhrr said:

your logic is also weird for me, cap and auto reset on day 200-300?! Man this is survival mode, your mistake cause your own death, and you lose the world only when everyone die. There are tons of public servers with empty slots you can start over there again.

you have your own right to teach the "newbie", it is not everyone's duty to teach other player how to use a certain boring strategy to stay alive.

Where i am going with my logic is that it would be great if new players had servers to get introduced to the game. Most people often leave when it reaches summer, do you really think that 200-300 day cap is bad, or even if that is a low number of days maybe a cap by 500 days would be more reasonable? 

I just think that official klei servers shouldn't be seen as normal servers where you are supposed to progress for 5000-10000 days for a world record of holding the server hostage.

It is not everyone's duty to teach new players but its not really nice to see most veteran players focus on themselves and just trying to be a complete nomad, killing bosses/cave rush/lunar island rush and so on.

Why not play on a private/your own hosted server if you are going to play solo without any interactions with other players?

On 4/17/2021 at 10:42 AM, gghhrr said:

What's the most fun part in Don't Starve? The most answers I've heard from this forum is, you learn from your death or mistake, understanding deeper and deeper everytime you play longer and longer on a world without reading wiki first.

Showing answer is just like spoiling the end of story before someone start reading the book. 

Not everyone has the same playstyle, if a new player has decided to  join public klei server it probably means that he doesn't want to be figuring everything out on his own, and if someone is willing to take their time and help them learn the game,for example dropping them items like thulecite crowns won't teach them how to obtain them and i often see people doing this.

9 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

Where i am going with my logic is that it would be great if new players had servers to get introduced to the game. Most people often leave when it reaches summer, do you really think that 200-300 day cap is bad, or even if that is a low number of days maybe a cap by 500 days would be more reasonable? 

I just think that official klei servers shouldn't be seen as normal servers where you are supposed to progress for 5000-10000 days for a world record of holding the server hostage.

not everyone playstyle is same, that's why there is no reason to set a rule for dedicated server to reset on cap day X. 

as you said, if I want to play alone, I could choose host server myself, but I could also play in public server, if you want to learn the game, you could also host the server yourself. The only problem is that, we both might have potato computer and internet. Back in DST beta, I played with my friends on my own server(cave was not in beta), even I have better internet speed and PC among them, we would lag out of **** after few game days of playing.

I play alone in public server doesn't mean I have zero interaction with others, I enjoy boss raid in team more than solo, a bunch of teammates with just simple weapon and wood armor, unlike some solo boss rush might dig/burn unrenewable resource, the reason I play alone most of the time and rarely being active to help newbie is because how base destroyer have affected my mood and playstyle over all the time.

also, I don't have any actual plan to how get X specific food at any time, encounter random ways to get food is one of my fun when playing in fresh public world. tbh I don't actually fight every threats myself with weapon and armor, there are many ways to get rid of threats, and I think all of them myself as I was newbie, change the plan when another fail, this is just fun because you don't know actual value is going on and if it works. They could get more fun from thinking the trick themselves.

2 hours ago, Well-met said:

how do they keep the bot alive, eating and not hit by shadows?

The last time I saw this afk-script was about 8 months ago, it was used to "prolong" another server, the method is straightforward :

1. Maxwell's passive sanity regen is higher than sanity drain from darkness, you will never go insane, shadow will never attack you

2. Wear bee queen crown to negate insanity aura from depth worms when they attack. build wall and statues around you to block them and plant anenemies to kill them automatically.

3. Use the floating statues glitch to protect you from earthquake falling rocks

4. Sanity will reduce over time if you wear wet item so don't equip any item in hand and chest slot. (bee queen crown is waterproof)

5. Build scaled furnace near you so you won't die from freezing in winter and spring. (don't build too close or you will overheat in summer)

6. Stand next to unpicked glow berry (unpicked glow berry gives you infinite light and protects you from darkness)

7. Summon 1 shadow miner to mine stone fruit for you automatically

8. Setup your script : make your character pick stone fruit > drop stone fruit on ground > pick ripe stone fruit > eat

9. To prevent the inventory full problem, pick the ripe stone fruit only. Leave whole bunch of rocks on the ground, make the server super lag for everyone else.

That's it.

3 hours ago, Xenna said:

9. To prevent the inventory full problem, pick the ripe stone fruit only. Leave whole bunch of rocks on the ground, make the server super lag for everyone else.

I'm guessing moleworms can't get to the rocks because of the statues and/or pathing priorities?

It's a really interesting list of methods to survive though, thanks for sharing. :wilson_smile:

41 minutes ago, Aeglefire said:

I'm guessing moleworms can't get to the rocks because of the statues and/or pathing priorities?

It's a really interesting list of methods to survive though, thanks for sharing. :wilson_smile:

afkmole.thumb.png.043988f22fef0c4193417f789e065c4f.png

They lure moleworms away from afk area because sometimes moleworms can push depth worms inside. xD

On 4/16/2021 at 9:08 PM, Tranoze said:

So do you have a solve for this problem?

It's actually pretty simple:

1. Find a server owner to host a "private" public server. I've seen some pretty good ones that can go for ~$15-20 a month. You could also host one yourself if you or your friends have the resources.
2. Go to options, disable votes of any sort
3. Run the server and join the world.

You even get some neat benefits out of it, like backups and/or more detailed server logs, which I imagine you appreciate. You could even set it to endless to get some key renewable resources!

While I know it's not a "official" server, I don't take kindly at all to groups taking Klei servers. There's ~15-20 servers that are around, and taking 1 of those is a significant detriment for people in the area that just want to hop on and play a public server. Sure, you might have potato computers that can't run your own server, but what about the other people who wanted to play on said server too?

The fact that you need to utilize scrips/other things beforehand to reach high day counts in the server, even if you haven't used them for years, does not reduce this issue either. You made the script that allowed you to AFK and actively hold an official public server for 10K days. You even published a mod on the workshop that autokicks players based on a ban list from an unofficial server group and had a bug where it even circumvented the requirement of hitting 20 days first. You are part of the problem, even if you do not think you are.

You don't need to hold an official server hostage to do cool records. If you gave me a post that showed you and your friends hitting 15K days on your own server, I will still consider that incredible. Many people hardly ever cross the 5K day mark, and I know of very few people that can hit 10K (In particular, the Klei server that did make it to 10K days done by you and your friends, 2 other people's worlds, and my own world). I'm not even saying your suggestions are something I wouldn't want. I've had many cases where I wish fossil fragments/anenemys are nonrenewable, and I actually had to make loot worlds because I was struggling with those resources.

TLDR: I highly go and host your own server. It's not expensive, has tons of tools to combat your issues, and still results in impressive achievements. The only difference is you don't have a little orange icon, but is that really enough to warrant taking official servers and holding them for actual months?

16 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

You don't need to hold an official server hostage to do cool records. If you gave me a post that showed you and your friends hitting 15K days on your own server, I will still consider that incredible.

I think hitting 15k days on their own server would be a lot more impressive. If they hit 15k days on a Klei server with that Maxwell script that's less like them hitting 15k days and more like that exploiting Maxwell script hitting 15k days.

13 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

It's actually pretty simple:

1. Find a server owner to host a "private" public server. I've seen some pretty good ones that can go for ~$15-20 a month. You could also host one yourself if you or your friends have the resources.
2. Go to options, disable votes of any sort
3. Run the server and join the world.

Oh, we tried lots of "private" public server, include endless. Problem is there are no new players join in. Mostly you will play alone because you have no friends and the friend you made in public server have different time zone with you, or they get busy and cant play the game.
The fun of public server is play with stranger make friends along the way. There are powerful attraction in "klei official" that make it more likely for player to be able to play "together".

Having play along with lots of public player, i noticed that none of public server friend group are actual friend in real life, but they are friend with each other by play in pub together.

The pub server 2000 day op mention above i wasnt play in, but i know the pain they have when there pub server got forcefully reset.

26 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

You even published a mod on the workshop that autokicks players based on a ban list from an unofficial server group and had a bug where it even circumvented the requirement of hitting 20 days first. You are part of the problem, even if you do not think you are.

The bug that people can kick without 20 days requirement isnt what i intended, heck i dont even know it was possible because all server i play in and tested it i have day count larger than 20 and didn't know new player could use kick vote that way.
Klei made a statement that they wont ban people that burn base and grief other people fun, but that doesnt mean public player community cant. It is from an unofficial server group, and other groups, but most players was banned was clearly recorded, with evidence of their wrong doing, and they can appeal the ban anytime if they feel like they wont grief anymore.

21 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I think hitting 15k days on their own server would be a lot more impressive. If they hit 15k days on a Klei server with that Maxwell script that's less like them hitting 15k days and more like that exploiting Maxwell script hitting 15k days.

The server op mention was 2k days klei server, get there by their own, and got forcefully regen by one person and 4 different account. The reason you are mention maxwell script instead of muti account regen on a world regen post make me feel kind of strange, because you might secretly think the script is amazing and want to know more about it.

8 hours ago, Xenna said:

The last time I saw this afk-script was about 8 months ago, it was used to "prolong" another server, the method is straightforward :

Thanks, you finally got it right for this server. Players there actually asked me to do it, and that server admin agreed to it. However, the afk station was in cave and doesnt cause any lag for surface, and player there come harvest rocks, mineral and slime helm over time. In that world, player use slurtle slime helm instead of wigfird's helm, quite a memorize experience.|

However, i think what klei keep adding make afk much more easier.
-There are no earthquake in ancient archive. (I dont even know what the reason for them to add this.)
-There are also permanent light in ancient archive.
-New lunar boss's hat give permanent light + 10 sanity per min.

Is afk what klei wanted all along?

44 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

Is afk what klei wanted all along?

No. The developers wanted to provide an already rich survival gameplay with additional features for players both veterans and rookies alike to strive for, never staging on server hostage or even the thought of server hostage. If you do have the thought about it then it's all on you and the others like you not the developers themselves.

45 minutes ago, Nullum said:

No. The developers wanted to provide an already rich survival gameplay with additional features for players both veterans and rookies alike to strive for, never staging on server hostage or even the thought of server hostage. If you do have the thought about it then it's all on you and the others like you not the developers themselves.

you just missed my joke...
I myself dont like it easy to afk. I wouldnt point out those feature if i really want to afk in peace. I would love klei to make it super hard to afk that you have to code an almost impossible code just to be able to stay alive year long.

Why? because making client side mod that other said it hard to be done was always a hobby for me (should I release boss and mob fight auto kite mod...). 

Hmm i forgot to add "astral detector" that give permanent light when you completed astral quest.

Deserved. Pubs should not last that long. 

I have never once had a positive experience with long lasting pubs. They are all run by a group of 5 friends in a call that'd either kill you or kick you the second you join in the server (usually based on what character you picked), and they usually have a very rude attitude. They take over the entire server and creates 'laws' (things they personally dont like), and if you break the rules that they've set up in a bloody public server, you'd get vote kicked. And this could be the most pathetic things like looking in the chests or picking Willow.

And don't even get me started on the egos. They are all run by powertripping children.

Nah, that person is a hero. He went great lengths to save us all the headache.

This same scenario also happened in a public Klei server yesterday. The server already has 2.3k+ days of survival and it was summer time. Me and my two other friends were in the server until there was 1 player who joined that has 30+ days. At first, I thought the player is just a casual player but things went wrong when there were 3 other players that joined, all having with 1 day survival. I never realized that this was the plan all along. They started to vote kick on one of my friends and got kicked due to time limit. Then there were 6 of us remaining, and the next thing they do was to regen world, and of course, we were outnumbered, causing the regen vote to get passed and see the regen loading screen right before our eyes.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:50 AM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Ah, is you guys, the "taking servers hostages" group. Heh, seems you got your match in terms of "using scripts to AFK", making traps on map and whatnot as a modus operandi to "keep alive" those "captive" servers. Interesting. It seems you chaps got people pissed at your shenanigans using other shenanigans to counter you. Quite funny: the battle of bot-scripters rages on :bee:

What are you talking about? I actively played on that server and I assure you it wasn't an instance of the that group you're talking about. Everyone played actively and legitimately, taking shifts at different times for different timezones without much offline coordination. There were no newbie traps and all new players were welcomed in the base through the deserter near Celestial Portal and treated fairly unless proven guilty. Everyone kept expanding the base, foraging for resources, forming parties to fight bosses, raiding ruins, farming crops, sailing, making new outposts... It was the ideal intended DST experience. It's a good thing to have at least one or two Klei Official servers last very long or else all the players get to experience ends up being first autumn up to deerclops fight.

It was fun while it lasted and now I know how it died. Rest in Peace Pengull Parade. Your memories remain forever. Here's a summary of the adventure in 11 photos:

20210611140255_1.thumb.jpg.eb3f699fdc830fd7a70c52355c8061f4.jpg

20210611161653_1.thumb.jpg.8f205140b90d758c1a511b3a31ce18af.jpg

20210611162116_1.thumb.jpg.a6566d52055fbccc489a026fa9986e89.jpg

20210612165920_1.thumb.jpg.3cafd4bce14af49592368559c1b3f54b.jpg

20210616175651_1.thumb.jpg.4b5c0afcca315c1f95cb85324a98100d.jpg

20210621023256_1.thumb.jpg.d5607c4efe6a32c3e24818ae66963d8a.jpg

20210621125837_1.thumb.jpg.2e457f164adfaa67807244ebe3d4b6f2.jpg

20210621034006_1.thumb.jpg.f5802ea2c70a24e38ac154665fbaae9d.jpg

20210621194001_1.thumb.jpg.ae2bb9d6eb2a83eccd29a735da30f7f5.jpg

20210621203945_1.thumb.jpg.6cad04919c87abb7ea83b6714b6c618b.jpg

20210622015635_1.thumb.jpg.0e2e1229d7d7a767ce350299500ce3d4.jpg

20210622021232_1.thumb.jpg.d421603942d59cb4b0e7cbae0adb5bac.jpg

3 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

What are you talking about? I actively played on that server and I assure you it wasn't an instance of the that group you're talking about. Everyone played actively and legitimately, taking shifts at different times for different timezones without much offline coordination. There were no newbie traps and all new players were welcomed in the base through the deserter near Celestial Portal and treated fairly unless proven guilty. Everyone kept expanding the base, foraging for resources, forming parties to fight bosses, raiding ruins, farming crops, sailing, making new outposts... It was the ideal intended DST experience. It's a good thing to have at least one or two Klei Official servers last very long or else all the players get to experience ends up being first autumn up to deerclops fight.

It was fun while it lasted and now I know how it died. Rest in Peace Pengull Parade. Your memories remain forever. Here's a summary of the adventure in 10 photos:

probably not the same server they're referring to, I played on that server too and it was fine

14 minutes ago, Guille6785 said:

probably not the same server they're referring to, I played on that server too and it was fine

ah my bad, didn't check the post date and notice that it was about a server that died two months ago rather than two days ago.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:27 PM, 00petar00 said:

I am a megabase player but i still believe that holding public server hostage for 2000 plus day is bad for 99% of the players that don't want to megabase and find it boring when you have end game gear and have killed all the bosses.

Still, my point stands that having one or two official klei servers amongst ten last very long is healthy- and is the only way newer players get to experience late game official content- such as the ENTIRETY of content added in updates such as Eye of the Storm, Heart of the Ruins etc. Late game worlds can and do become very educational experiences for the playerbase. If one strictly needs the first 31 day experience, they have 9 other official options on top of a plethora of dedicated or hosted servers they can find online. 

19 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

It was fun while it lasted and now I know how it died. Rest in Peace Pengull Parade. Your memories remain forever. Here's a summary of the adventure in 11 photos:

20210621125837_1.thumb.jpg.2e457f164adfaa67807244ebe3d4b6f2.jpg

20210622015635_1.thumb.jpg.0e2e1229d7d7a767ce350299500ce3d4.jpg

"Posted April 16"

I doubt we are writing about same server iteration. OP complained over 2 months ago about one of the Asia KLei Official servers being intentionally crashed and restarted. Btw, at that time there was no "Return of Them: Eye of The Storm" or "Midsummer Cawnival" content - as seen in your printscreens (Celestial and Cawnival Tree). OP is known for not just making newbie/noob/casual traps at spawn, Touchstones and Sinkholes in past, but even admitting it and proudly defending such practice, blaming griefers (of the burning and hammering variety) for his behavior. Now we have Griefer Spawn Protection defaulted on KLei Official pubs, hence not so easy to bait & kill randoms. Anyway, nice necro for something no one cares anymore in any capacity.

8 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

"Posted April 16"

I doubt we are writing about same server iteration. OP complained over 2 months ago about one of the Asia KLei Official servers being intentionally crashed and restarted. Btw, at that time there was no "Return of Them: Eye of The Storm" or "Midsummer Cawnival" content - as seen in your printscreens (Celestial and Cawnival Tree). OP is known for not just making newbie/noob/casual traps at spawn, Touchstones and Sinkholes in past, but even admitting it and proudly defending such practice, blaming griefers (of the burning and hammering variety) for his behavior. Now we have Griefer Spawn Protection defaulted on KLei Official pubs, hence not so easy to bait & kill randoms. Anyway, nice necro for something no one cares anymore in any capacity.

yea sorry my bad, I was baited by a Necromancer- hook line and inker all in one casting :wilson_dead: But the necromancer is right. It's the same server Jus7Ine is talking about and looks like the point stands that maaybe regen world votes should require unilateral agreement/qualified majority rather than simple plurality.

Archived