A public world was crashed, and regenerated

On a Klei server, when there was 4+ players, a griefer played to 20 days. The griefer then crashed the server using a bug, to forcibly eject everyone. After that, The griefer logged in with 3+ account, kicked one senior player and forcibly regenerated the 2000 days world. The tyranny of this regenerate vote is pretty much unstoppable since even if there are 7 players willing to play, the griefer can always unilaterally eject them to regenerate the world.

In terms of the bug, a possible bug is with beefalo and hitching post. But fixing all the bugs that result in crash is not realistic. Going by history, there is pretty much bugs to crash the game whole year round.

My wishlist in response to this:

Make regenerate world vote an option, and no regenerate vote as the default option. For survival world, a regeneration can be done through the unanimous agreement of all players by suicide. For endless moderated world, admin can then run the regenerate world command. There has already been cases of endless world turning off voting option at all because there are abuse of world regeneration vote

Increase the requirement to start vote from oldest players or at least 20 days, to oldest players or at least 10% of the world day count.

Ah, is you guys, the "taking servers hostages" group. Heh, seems you got your match in terms of "using scripts to AFK", making traps on map and whatnot as a modus operandi to "keep alive" those "captive" servers. Interesting. It seems you chaps got people pissed at your shenanigans using other shenanigans to counter you. Quite funny: the battle of bot-scripters rages on :bee:

There's this weird logic with people wanting to one up eachother and keep official Klei servers up for 2000 days, which i really don't agree with.

Not that i think griefers should be allowed to do this but public klei servers need to have a cap and auto reset after like 200-300 days.These servers are quite useful to new players so that they can get introduced to the game and learn while playing with other people since it will be easier.

I am a megabase player but i still believe that holding public server hostage for 2000 plus day is bad for 99% of the players that don't want to megabase and find it boring when you have end game gear and have killed all the bosses.

I didn't play on klei official servers recently but a year or two ago, i used to play regularly and help new players learn to kite and what their priorities should be and i noticed that most veterans just don't allow new players to learn, they gather all the stuff and kill all the bosses, some rush caves at start others go to lunar island and then there's the ones that just build base how they want to.

One thing in common that can be noticed is that veterans just ignore everyone else and do their own thing. Some think they are doing good and helping when they drop cave loot in the base or to new players while the new player won't ever be able to do caves by day 12-15, he didn't learn anything and just got items, needless to say that this doesn't help new players at all.

7 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Ah, is you guys, the "taking servers hostages" group. Heh, seems you got your match in terms of "using scripts to AFK", making traps on map and whatnot as a modus operandi to "keep alive" those "captive" servers. Interesting. It seems you chaps got people pissed at your shenanigans using other shenanigans to counter you. Quite funny: the battle of bot-scripters rages on :bee:

Oh and it you, the "never play on public server" dude, thinking that players actually play on public server always do trap and scripts. Most of the community are nice, and atleast, to each other when play together.
Do me a favor, actually play on a public server, then judge how players there work. Maybe 2 or 3 years ago, there are rude player that trap the other, but now, public server actually a nice place.

Players actually play in public server have goals, one of them is to be alive as long as possible, and have hope that their world will last like other mega worlds, so they always happy to come back and continue do what they do the previous day. Only people never actually consider public server as a server think they are only for newbies to start their first 20 days and regen world.

22 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

Players actually play in public server have one goal, to be alive as long as possible, and have hope that their world will last like other mega worlds, so they always happy to come back and continue do what they do the previous day. Only people never actually consider public server as a server think they are only for newbies to start their first 20 days and regen world.

That's so insensitive to new players and other veteran players that don't megabase, you need to understand that only like 1% of the players megabase. Majority don't enjoy it so why are you sitting afk on an official klei server and forcing it down their throats, just gather all the friends that megabase and pay for a server host like if you split it between 4-5 people, you can pay like 5$ each a month, or host it on your own machine. 

Sitting afk on a server every night and day like that will probably cost you more, electricity bills, pc components have life expectancy and having pc on 24/7 isn't good.

16 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

That's so insensitive to new players and other veteran players that don't megabase, you need to understand that only like 1% of the players megabase. Majority don't enjoy it so why are you sitting afk and forcing it down their throats, just gather all the friends that megabase and pay for a server host like if you split it between 4-5 people, you can pay like 5$ each a month, or host it on your own machine. 

Sitting afk on a server every night and day like that will probably cost you more, electricity bills, pc components have life expectancy and having pc on 24/7 isn't good.

Where did that number come from... "DUDE TRUST ME SOURCE?"
All players in public I play with, either when i join a 20 days world or when i join a 200 days world, like to build or live in a big base. Newbies that are nice when come to mega base often ask what they can help with. veteran when come to megabase often come and agrue with the base builder to do stuff better way.
Every genuine players like basing, and most of them like to admire megabase. The only group people hate all type of base often start burning them the moment they saw it, are you saying those are main part of playerbase (99%, what an interesting number)?

Also im sure noone afk in public server because im one invented how to actually afk, and i havent afk since 2019. All public server last long now because there are different players from different time zone inherit world from each other and continue their legacy of the base.

23 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

That's so insensitive to new players and other veteran players that don't megabase,

You probally never played on public server, the most common sentence when a new player join that always ask is "Where's base".
Even if they dont know english, they still want to know where the base is, the most basic primitive idea behind their head is to find the base.

On 4/16/2021 at 7:45 PM, Tranoze said:

Oh and it you, the "never play on public server" dude, thinking that players actually play on public server always do trap and scripts. Most of the community are nice, and atleast, to each other when play together.
Do me a favor, actually play on a public server, then judge how players there work.

Players actually play in public server have one goal, to be alive as long as possible, and have hope that their world will last like other mega worlds, so they always happy to come back and continue do what they do the previous day. Only people never actually consider public server as a server think they are only for newbies to start their first 20 days and regen world.

You're hilarious. And I believe you confuse me. I've played almost 10k hours of DST, and most of them were in pubs. I fancy pubs a lot. But with a special caveat: don't take them seriously, don't build elaborate bases (or at least not surface, accessible ones), play nomad as much as you can, enjoy the madness inherently happening in such pubs, and mostly use them - as advanced players - for special-case punctual runs, like a boss rush, a Ruins rush, Lunar rush etc. Anything else is superfluous and/or meaningless - or at least that's my vision based on my plenty experiences from EU pubs. Where griefers like Clouds, Master and Co, using bots & other scripts, ran rampant. Traps, burnings, hammerings, you name it. A very hostile environment, probably related to the nature of nations' relationships in EU in general - and that's why I write/tell players wanting safe, friendly, long-term building to not see un-moderated pubs (KLei official servers variety) as valid placed for doing so. Also bare in mind: KLei official pubs are for everyone and mainly geared towards newbies/noobs/casuals - that's why they're Survival and not Endless/Wilderness. They aren't meant to last. And if a group of players has the goal to get loads of in-game days/seasons under their belts, in a legitimate way (no cheaty AFK scripts, no traps, no killing casuals and all that shenanigans you lot did to keep your pub "sovereignty"), kudos to them! Is a valid goal, if they also give space for bulk players to do their little trials, mistakes and tribulations. No crappy monopolization because some advanced people feel the need to childishly score internet points with peers for nothing-bragging, at expense of a large number of regular players' fun. You lot should get a personal dedicated server for your like-minded group, and there you can keep it open for randoms like a pub and do your wicked experiments, adrenaline-rush inducing via "woohoo, we yeeted that potential griefer, we da man!" (aka internet "one-uppings"). Main point: play nice with all people, in a safe way for everybody (or at least ignore them if not able to be nice). Else prepare to "score" enemies doing what OP cries about being done to him & his "we monopolize servers, hihi, valid game-style" group.

28 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Survival and not Endless/Wilderness.

You think they are design are "Not mean to last", but for us, they are design as a challenge "Are you able to make it last", and for gamers, "challenge accepted" I might go a bit overboard with afk script 2 years ago, but now, all of them are genuine server with no trap envolved, atleast, all of the main player intended to prevent all trap on the world.

Do you think long last server is boring? maybe because you only play in short lasting server, you dont get to see the fun of the long last one, because newbies and noobs cant never have a chance to do bosses like afw, klaus, beequeen, and toadstool. Having a mega base support food and armor help newbies learn alot about team fight vs bosses. Then they can start learning about fighting those bosses later with lower and lower resources and start to enjoy the game.

This is what i noticed after play lots of public server:
If server age less than 200, that server most likely havent complete suspicious marble quest.
If server age is about 400, that server most likely never summon AFW before.

If a newbie, noobs, casual start to know little bit about the game and can survive on their own, and want to fight harder bosses, a 600+ days server is where they should join. Learing and dieing together at team to win and fail bosses is much better than training alone, atleast, that what my experience.

2 minutes ago, Tranoze said:

You think they are design are "Not mean to last", but for us, they are design as a challenge "Are you able to make it last", and for gamers, "challenge accepted" I might go a bit overboard with afk script 2 years ago, but now, all of them are genuine server with no trap envolved, atleast, all of the main player intended to prevent all trap on the world.

Do you think long last server is boring? maybe because you only play in short lasting server, you dont get to see the fun of the long last one, because newbies and noobs cant never have a chance to do bosses like afw, klaus, beequeen, and toadstool. Having a mega base support food and armor help newbies learn alot about team fight vs bosses. Then they can start learning about fighting those bosses later with lower and lower resources and start to enjoy the game.

If server age less than 200, that server most likely havent complete suspicious marble quest.

If a newbie, noobs, casual start to know little bit about the game, and want to fight harder bosses, a 600+ days server is where they should join. Learing and dieing together at team to win and fail bosses is much better than training alone, atleast, that what my experience.

If now you're doing runs "legit", no scripts, traps etc, good (I reckon this change was also brought by "Spawn Griefer Protection" in some capacity, as now you aren't able to trap&kill players at spawn as you used to). Good luck on your endeavors and I hope you indeed are nice to players in general if they themselves are nice-to-neutral as well, without monopolizing anything.

Likewise that's your particular experience. I haven't wrote anywhere I consider long-lasting servers boring, since I do play community moderated Endless ones from time-to-time. When I used to do rushes with friends, we usually had all raid bossed dead by first Winter (BQ, AFw & Misery Toad included). Klaus is the easiest raid boss, thus not much to say there, a Wig with basic battle gear and no healing can demolish it even on >150 ping servers if used to play with lag/rubberbanding. Hence those 200/400/600+ day marks are pretty subjective.

And yes, if in pubs you frequent advanced players teach via "taking under their wing" willing casuals, that's good. On the other hand I seldom see that happening on any type of server.

Once more: you reap what you sow. And you lot, from which OP is a part of, have a certain "we made quite a lot of enemies over time" reputation. Perhaps they were indeed rightfully-kicked griefers. Or maybe were random spawn-killed players, now with a proverbial "bone to pick with" your lot, hence OP's problem. Time will tell. In the meanwhile, again: be nice, or at least neutral.

1 minute ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

, we usually had all raid bossed dead by first Winter (BQ, AFw & Misery Toad included). Klaus is the easiest raid boss, thus not much to say there, a Wig with basic battle gear and no healing can demolish it even on >150 ping servers if used to play with lag/rubberbanding. Hence those 200/400/600+ day marks are pretty subjective.

Raid boss with friends are the best, nothing can beat the fun we have doing it.
With the new ROT update, lunar champion, the require needed for the next boss is incredible large, and for players that can only play few hours per day after work, a normal klei server last 70 days can never get them to experience it.
You need to
-Complete ancient archive quest.
-Complete pearl quest.(i think this took the most time)
-Find the crab king (if you lucky, maybe few days, if unlucky, you might need to travel the whole map)
-Defeat crab king(Why this boss not getting reworked yet, fighting it still require large amount of resource)
-Deliver all statues to lunar island.
Only at this point, player have the chance to experience the new update.
And lots of content on the next update require time to complete too, so without good long last server, those content will never come live in klei public.

16 hours ago, blizstorm said:

Make regenerate world vote an option, and no regenerate vote as the default option. For survival world, a regeneration can be done through the unanimous agreement of all players by suicide. For endless moderated world, admin can then run the regenerate world command. There has already been cases of endless world turning off voting option at all because there are abuse of world regeneration vote

Absolutely not. If the server is unanimous about wanting to restart they should be able to restart without everyone finding a way to commit suicide, waiting 2 minutes, and hoping some random new player doesn't join and at best restart the 2 minute countdown or at worst refuse to kill himself so everyone is just floating around dead.

If someone is dedicated enough to get 4 accounts on the server to restart it, who's to say they won't be dedicated enough to get 8 accounts? Your little one-off incident that I've never seen happen before shouldn't completely remove an entire feature of the game for everyone else. 

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Absolutely not.

So do you have a solve for this problem? This "one-off" incident actually happened more often than you think.
What i suggest is for players "kicking" and "regen world" should require more than 75% agreement. They might able to get 8 account, but get all of them log in in the same time is impossible when the world actually have player that playing in it.
Same as kicking. Funny how it work now that if there are 4 players, and one player got voted, they cant vote no them self, so if 2 agree and 2 disagree, the player still getting kicked.

Just like how other game surrender vote work, if 2 out of 5 players still want to play, the other should keep playing with them.

9 hours ago, Tranoze said:

You probally never played on public server, the most common sentence when a new player join that always ask is "Where's base".
Even if they dont know english, they still want to know where the base is, the most basic primitive idea behind their head is to find the base.

So you are assuming i never played on public servers and was never active just because you are a newer player compared to me or you didn't play when i did, i literally own DST since beta and i was never too active on pubs but there was a time when i played regularly and taught new players.

8 hours ago, Tranoze said:

If a newbie, noobs, casual start to know little bit about the game and can survive on their own, and want to fight harder bosses, a 600+ days server is where they should join. Learing and dieing together at team to win and fail bosses is much better than training alone, atleast, that what my experience.

Give a totally new player a bone armor, thulecite crown and stacks of healing food and they'll not learn much, most mobs in the game are tankable with end-game gear.

Also it is not a genuine experience, imagine a new player joining at day 2000 on a server and everyone just gives him everything, all bosses are killed, so many boss traps made, so that he doesn't ever need to kill them in a normal battle, at least that's what i am guessing you have as i haven't joined the pubs at all when i see a high day number and there would not be much to do if you aren't building and making setups.

After that he joins a public server that is on day 5 for example and it is a completely different game, how is he expected to survive or even know what to do.

7 hours ago, Tranoze said:

Raid boss with friends are the best, nothing can beat the fun we have doing it.
With the new ROT update, lunar champion, the require needed for the next boss is incredible large, and for players that can only play few hours per day after work, a normal klei server last 70 days can never get them to experience it.

Why do you need to use public klei servers to kill the last boss with such a long quest line? Do you think that just because you and 5-10 people that decide that you want to keep a public klei server to day 2000, is a good enough reson to hold it hostage?

9 hours ago, Tranoze said:

Every genuine players like basing, and most of them like to admire megabase. The only group people hate all type of base often start burning them the moment they saw it, are you saying those are main part of playerbase (99%, what an interesting number)?

You need to understand that most players are casual, that's general knowledge for all games, some have more some have less casual players but overall most of the players of any game you pick will be casual, yes i am just pulling a number, but even in the best case scenario a  few percent of players are megabasers.

Most players probably have not survived beyond day 300 ever. Just looking at steam page and seeing how many hours people have played, should give you some information on how far they went into the game.

Only the most dedicated players are into megabasing and spending thousands of ingame days on a world.

Why is it so hard for you to accept that majority of the playerbase isn't into megabasing and get a dedicated server where you'll be able to control everything that goes on, there'll be no griefers in any form and you'll decide the rules and who plays there.

36 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Also it is not a genuine experience, imagine a new player joining at day 2000 on a server and everyone just gives him everything, all bosses are killed, so many boss traps made, so that he doesn't ever need to kill them in a normal battle, at least that's what i am guessing you have as i haven't joined the pubs at all when i see a high day number and there would not be much to do if you aren't building and making setups.

After that he joins a public server that is on day 5 for example and it is a completely different game, how is he expected to survive or even know what to do.

Then you clearly never join a real public server boss battle then. All bosses using hambat (well dark sword for toadstoll) and wig helm(bee hat for bee queen). And bunch lots of life giving amulet. AFW or misery toad require 3~5 player, wendy count as 2.5 players for beequeen.
Bosstrap was so boring so we decided not to use them in any bosses, because that remove the fun of the boss.
DST public now changed so much compare DST public when beta.

2000 days server arent that rich, not to the point you can waste resource like helm and food to ctr + f any boss.

36 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

You need to understand that most players are casual, that's general knowledge for all games, some have more some have less casual players but overall most of the players of any game you pick will be casual, yes i am just pulling a number, but even in the best case scenario a  few percent of players are megabasers.

Most of the "casual" actually want to enjoy new feature of the game, instead of playing DS stadard alone. Those feature only playable when a world have good base.
One more feature that i noticed is that beefalo taming. Without server that last long and rick enough, player dont even have a chance to experience the "year of beefalo" contents. They dont even have food to sustain them self there, how can they have food to maintain beefalo?

Our of all players i played with, atleast 60% of them like magabase, they might not be megabase builder, but they like to live in megabase. Why you think player that arent megabasers cant enjoy the benefit of megabase?

38 minutes ago, 00petar00 said:

Why do you need to use public klei servers to kill the last boss with such a long quest line? Do you think that just because you and 5-10 people that decide that you want to keep a public klei server to day 2000, is a good enough reson to hold it hostage?

There a different between holding server hostage and prolong server. Holding a server hostage is to prevent other player from playing that server, but as i see on the 2000 day server above, when i visit them at day 1800, they created 2 portal bases, both have heatsource like furnace, food like stone fruit and material for player to sustain themself, so they can enjoy the world.

Killing new player while keeping server alive is holding server hostage, playing normally and keep new player come in and enjoy the world is not.

14 hours ago, 00petar00 said:

Not that i think griefers should be allowed to do this but public klei servers need to have a cap and auto reset after like 200-300 days.These servers are quite useful to new players so that they can get introduced to the game and learn while playing with other people since it will be easier.

your logic is also weird for me, cap and auto reset on day 200-300?! Man this is survival mode, your mistake cause your own death, and you lose the world only when everyone die. There are tons of public servers with empty slots you can start over there again.

you have your own right to teach the "newbie", it is not everyone's duty to teach other player how to use a certain boring strategy to stay alive.

What's the most fun part in Don't Starve? The most answers I've heard from this forum is, you learn from your death or mistake, understanding deeper and deeper everytime you play longer and longer on a world without reading wiki first.

Showing answer is just like spoiling the end of story before someone start reading the book. 

I also played DST since beta, suggested Klei to add rollback&kick options, saw some people claimed themselves as "veteran" and assumed "we" would have the same thought but I really disagree their suggestion like most players did. 

I have ever wonder why world regeneration is vote option in survival mode before this thread, where everyone can regenerate the world if they want. I never say I wouldn't help to revive anyone, but why would I need to restart one hour of my works just for a random stranger? Can you imagine you played on the public server for 1 hour, now a random guy just join and die to wild fire, and regerenate the server? It is same ridiculous request to pause the game when everyone else still want to play.

DST has so much things renewable now, even the bosses, it's completely possible for you to fight any boss after 100000 game days.

I joined The Rabbit Trap recently, I roamed everywhere and never found any trap/afk strategy above mentioned, what I've seen:

• someone is building his own mini base in lunar with interesting design secretly.
  • someone is sailing and fishing the whole year like fishing simulator.
  • someone is just planting giant crops like farming simulator.
  • someone is messing with his beefalo/koalafant pen.
  • someone is just waiting for boss raid.
  • someone is just helping to gather resource if someone ask

The server is still possible to be regenerated if they make mistake and die without backup plan, they are just doing what they want to do, and wish they could continue on their personal goal when next time they are free to play DST again.

Holding Server Hostage Group In Nutshell

Yay, we managed to "prolong" Klei Official server for 10000 days. We are “best players in the world"!!

That’s amazing! How did you do it?

It’s super easy just follow this guide

Uh... If you did those stuff, don’t you think you are griefers too?

No No No, Klei already fixed the portal blocking. You can’t call us griefers anymore!!

(Pst!! We've been caught holding servers hostage again and again, but we will never do that again in the future. Promise! finger cross. hehehe)

Why do you want to "prolong" Klei official server that bad anyway?

Because we want to do “world record" highest day in Klei official server to show-off everyone. :D

If you want a long-term server why don’t you play in Endless Klei servers, group dedicated server or your own private servers?

Only the weakling play private server which you can just c_godmode() and c_give() whatever problem comes with.

There is no show-off value at all.

So you decided to do whatever you want on Klei official server and now some people do whatever they want back to you. Why are you so upset about it?

We are “best players in the world". We own this server. We can do whatever we want but you can’t. We deserved more than ordinary players!!

So your group will keep begging Klei until they add these useless features that help you hold hostage servers easier?

That’s right! I’m sure Klei will listen to “PRO” players like us. :)

How about taking care of the root of this mess - how to prevent "holding server hostage griefers"?

Let's fix it first before discussing these push-back features that never benefit the major player base.

1 hour ago, Xenna said:

How about taking care of the root of this mess - how to prevent "holding server hostage griefers"?

Let's fix it first before discussing these push-back features that never benefit the major player base.

technically the root of mess is griefers who make fun based on others' pains, and they existed since beta until now, I can find at least one griefer try to burn others' base in public server every 30 game days in average, and yet Klei is still not comming up with perfect medicine. Maybe it is because I went unactive few years ago, no one have trapped me death in portal for these years, I often join in winter/spring/summer btw.

20 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

"we made quite a lot of enemies over time" reputation. 

This. Most of my unpleasant experiences have been with megabasers on pubs simply because they think they're the owners of the server, they antagonize every single new player that joins and kick whoever disagrees with their way of playing. 

3 hours ago, IronLobster said:

This. Most of my unpleasant experiences have been with megabasers on pubs simply because they think they're the owners of the server, they antagonize every single new player that joins and kick whoever disagrees with their way of playing. 

I remember similar experience. I don't remember which exactly Klei server it was: Hound Huggles or Germany 1, but its not important. It was autumn of third year, i started playing and advancing as Willow, after 10 days i asked where base was and Wormwood with longest day count started votekick against me, i really didn't wanted to play anymore cuz of him, but anyway all other people were nice so I located base on my own and started to drop all my stuff into chests (which he checked after me). One Wigfrid player was very friendly and asked for him to stop starting votekick for no reason and he stopped... until Wig leaved and I was almost instantly votekicked after that because: "I was wasting resources on myself" after I used mine Amulet to revive myself. I admit it was petty, but I regenerated world at night because of him.

5 hours ago, gghhrr said:

technically the root of mess is griefers who make fun based on others' pains, and they existed since beta until now, I can find at least one griefer try to burn others' base in public server every 30 game days in average, and yet Klei is still not comming up with perfect medicine. Maybe it is because I went unactive few years ago, no one have trapped me death in portal for these years, I often join in winter/spring/summer btw.

Here's the proof of the same group - same players blocked portal/held hostage servers over 3 years.

Sure, Klei fixed the portal trap, but how long did that take? There were many posts over the years with people in every region complained about this group, and the same players who did this shenanigan kept showing off in the forum, and called anyone who disagrees with them "griefers" or "jealous", then proceed to deny everything even when get caught red-handed of doing it. [pics in spoiler]

Spoiler

1.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

5.PNG

6.PNG

8.PNG

9.PNG

Don't forget the AFK-script and auto-kick mod with personal ban list still out there,

what if someday, some players decide they get multiple accounts to AFK 24/7 and auto-kick anyone joins the servers for their own "world record"?

The tools we have right now (Kick/Rollback) are more than enough to prevent baseburner/hammer but

There is absolutely no way we can do anything to fight against "holding server hostage" griefers if they afk'ing with 8accs

THIS is the problem

Archived