Are Pay to Win Modded Servers allowed?

I've seen Ivo talk about the server before, and I've been on it too. You buy stuff like helmets and weapons with some sort of in-game currency, which is bought using Yuan. They have bulls on them, so I'll be calling them "bullcoins". You're redirected to a third-party website upon attempting to buy stuff. I can't fully explain how the server works as I can't understand the vast majority of the text. (Likely in Chinese, since the currency used to buy bullcoins is Yuan) 

Here's an image:

unknown.png

The server has about 175 people on it at a time with a max player cap of 266, so they're likely reaping in a ton of money.

This is crazy! Why would so many people play on that server? Why do they even pay money on suspicious websites? How did they get to download those illegal mods -- player wouldn't be able to join without the same server mod right? 

8 minutes ago, --- -.- said:

its basically the same thing as minecraft servers with special member roles you can donate money to get

Yeah, but you have to buy food, armor, materials, etc. No picking grass, gotta make money off it!

This is absurd. But everyone playing there knows they can actually play the normal game that doesn't have any money to pay outside of actually buying the game so they know what they're doing.

+ it seems there's tons of other mods there- hence the neon animals in the background. Maybe it's a private mod someone wants to profit from by making a ptw server.

5 hours ago, Grim the said:

Yeah, but you have to buy food, armor, materials, etc. No picking grass, gotta make money off it!

Actually you can collect grass with a rip-off Picky Picky Picky version if you are lucky enough to teleport to a shard that has grass.
why are you laughing mike, this isn't even funny

Probably illegal. I seriously don't understand why people would play on this server. It's much more fun and satisfying to progress through the game using actual skill instead of money. Seriously, how do you mod microtransactions into a game like this? Why you would do this is beyond me.

57 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Oh, is Tencent experimenting? Future in-game "features"?! :distant:

But seriously if this isn't against game's TOS, nothing is.

Please don't turn this into a "Tencent bad" discussion, unless you have evidence to suggest this server is run or supported by tencent, which I doubt you do. 

56 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

Where is the fun of getting things paying instead of playing?

It's kinda like some sort of dst mmo rpg? There's levels and different bows and something where waves of mobs spawn. But it's not really "dst but rushing ruins costs $2.50" it's more like "we made dst into an mmo rpg and it's pay to win".

6 minutes ago, Grim the said:

Please don't turn this into a "Tencent bad" discussion, unless you have evidence to suggest this server is run or supported by tencent, which I doubt you do. 

Was a joke, chief. I thought was obvious. Seems not "nowadays". Carry on.

7 minutes ago, Grim the said:

It's kinda like some sort of dst mmo rpg? There's levels and different bows and something where waves of mobs spawn. But it's not really "dst but rushing ruins costs $2.50" it's more like "we made dst into an mmo rpg and it's pay to win".

still being the same question

if you beat the game because you payed, where is the fun? unless they are adicted kids getting serotoning just for the "winning because the game told me i won" feeling instead of "winning because i really deserve that win"

game phone companies know this and is sad that they milk this kind of adiction and that people fall into that instead of playing  

We don't get involved in how people operate their servers. Same as how I don't go on other player's servers and enforce community standards, I'm not sure if we would do anything about this. 

Minecraft server operators have been doing this for years. Servers can be expensive to operate, and being able to make money motivates people to run better servers so it's understandable that people want to try something like this. 

There is another mod out there that charges for stuff - and on one hand the kneejerk reaction is to take it down. On the other hand these types of things usually bring a lot of value to the people that participate. (or they wouldn't be doing it)

Anyway - it's not a simple answer, but we'll discuss it internally. Thanks.  

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

We don't get involved in how people operate their servers. Same as how I don't go on other player's servers and enforce community standards, I'm not sure if we would do anything about this. 

Minecraft server operators have been doing this for years. Servers can be expensive to operate, and being able to make money motivates people to run better servers so it's understandable that people want to try something like this. 

There is another mod out there that charges for stuff - and on one hand the kneejerk reaction is to take it down. On the other hand these types of things usually bring a lot of value to the people that participate. (or they wouldn't be doing it)

Anyway - it's not a simple answer, but we'll discuss it internally. Thanks.  

Interesting response, if people were to abuse this and ban people for no reason after them buying something (basically scamming them) would you then step in or is it still whatever "its their server"?

42 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

Interesting response, if people were to abuse this and ban people for no reason after them buying something (basically scamming them) would you then step in or is it still whatever "its their server"?

And how would someone prove to Klei that they actually got banned for no reason instead of them violating the server's rules? That's a lot of babysitting by Klei just so a single server can maybe stay up. I feel like they'd either not care about it at all or shut the server down for the pay to win stuff in the first place, not shut it down only once someone alleges they were scammed.

3 hours ago, --- -.- said:

honestly there is no problem with this cause a fool and their money have to part somewhere.. playing on any server like this in any kind of game gets you a Darwin award achievement :wilson_sneaky:

The money should go somewhere else better though like my skin collection , something like a charity or even just buying skins from klei
or even buying a different game.

55 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

The money should go somewhere else better though like my skin collection , something like a charity or even just buying skins from klei
or even buying a different game.

well we cant control were money goes there's people who spend billions of dollars on private yachts and cars and weird stuff on ebay and even very stupid things... its just how it is.. if they want to flush their money down a toilet or give it to a charity either way its their money and their business not really anybody else is...

Archived