Whenever I create a new boat to explore the seas I think about how to fit everything I need in that small space and still make it easy to walk around and interact with everything, so I figured it'd be nice to see how other players do it and maybe just see some boats that look cool.

So if you want, please share your favorite boat designs in the replies!

I'll start off by showing the boat I'm currently using:

boat.thumb.png.9dd136b0fa7cf7ed773ce5580a389c44.png

I tried to not make the anchor and steering wheel not aligned with the masts so it'd be somewhat easy to see them by any angle, wasn't a huge success tho haha.
I'm using a campfire instead of a deck illuminator beacause it's not rare for me to spend my winters in the ocean.
Being Warly definitively helps as the portable crockpot is way smaller than a normal one, but this placement of mine isn't the best. You can't walk between the crockpot and the mast, and you can't access the tin fishing bin and crockpot at the same time.
Would like to also have an Ocuvigil there, but it just wouldn't fit.
Normal sails instead of Malbatross because poor.
Two chests and a Chester are just enough to store everything imaginiable.

I really enjoyed coming up with it.

My current "Luxury Boat" model (mid-to-endgame) for year-round oceanic survival:

D9B455DFA69A27BD2B7A53A574C652F214607AA7

More details in spoiler below.

Spoiler

484C419B5C5B905082DF2DB58D7DF2152F869260

F2264AB1F7E6D7ECD1ED9C63C10B96DFAC115F1F

7FDB6B5C3C35923201E1E84484D031E383F28397

It might look cramped, but all is placed with purpose - and bare in mind is supposed to act as all-time mobile base, hence the chests able to retain all manner of mid-to-endgame loot, provisions etc. I'm pretty content with this design, at least for me dabbles as complete base after all I needed to research has been already done.

6 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

My current "Luxury Boat" model (mid-to-endgame) for year-round oceanic survival:

Hide contents

It might look cramped, but all is placed with purpose - and bare in mind is supposed to act as all-time mobile base, hence the chests able to retain all manner of mid-to-endgame loot, provisions etc. I'm pretty content with this design, at least for me dabbles as complete base after all I needed to research has been already done.

It looks a bit cramped yes, but still really cool! I´m right now in endgame and also thinking about a lategame boat setup, so thanks for the inspiration. 

Why the lureplant? Because it smolders first in summer so the base doesn´t burn when you sail away? 
And whats the purpose of the pighouse? 

12 minutes ago, lionking102 said:

It looks a bit cramped yes, but still really cool! I´m right now in endgame and also thinking about a lategame boat setup, so thanks for the inspiration. 

Why the lureplant? Because it smolders first in summer so the base doesn´t burn when you sail away? 
And whats the purpose of the pighouse? 

Yes, Lureplant is very handy for the smoldering mechanic, will be only thing doing so on boat in Summer. And the Leafy Meat it provides from time to time is an ok food addition.

While on sea, one tends to pile Monster Meat. Pig there will gladly take it, and "give back" 2 normal Meats plus Pig Skin. Both make for cheap Ham Bat useful in further "acquainting" Cookie Cutters, Sharks, Squids with inside of the Salt Box as fresh supplies. Also is cute, I dub pig as my "first mate" during voyages - too bad he isn't seeing the end of any trip, safely, heh.

Spoiler
6 hours ago, gaymime said:

it is my default favorite since aside from the number of chests and whether or not there is an icebox it is the one i generally do in non-tropical experience worlds XD

boaty.thumb.png.0608de6aec92aa83e26510ddebcd65a0.png

Why the moleworms? Fresh food? Oh! Do moleworms collect salt from the sea? Now I'm curious to know if they would gobble the salt for me while I'm mining the stacks... But I guess they would be stuck in that tired animation forever on a boat... Hmm...
Nice touch with the robot!

Spoiler
6 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Reveal hidden contents

Doesn't the furnace jack up your temperature like crazy in that cramped space? I had terrible experiences with furnaces on a boat. More like a winter only boat for me.

index.thumb.jpg.aa0a93c33a42941e1ac9d8074850a2e9.jpg

Here's mine. I don't like it cramped mainly because I play on consoles and anything that is too close together is a nightmare.

18 hours ago, Kur0u said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Why the moleworms? Fresh food? Oh! Do moleworms collect salt from the sea? Now I'm curious to know if they would gobble the salt for me while I'm mining the stacks... But I guess they would be stuck in that tired animation forever on a boat... Hmm...
Nice touch with the robot!

haha, oops, nah mate, they are just really cute x''D moleworms and carrats are my sailing buddies now that they no longer sink through the boat when they get up and burrow

I haven't gone sailing in quite some time, nor have I created any new designs, but I have this older screenshot I can share. This boat is made with the Boat Shapes mod and is meant to resemble a longship to fit in with the character.

694922479_DontStarveTogether11_2_20204_04_47PM.thumb.png.c53557646478a01914372cab8398e4ed.png

Here's another much bigger "base boat" I made with a custom shape for an archipelago world. It sails quite quickly!

2 hours ago, Kur0u said:

Doesn't the furnace jack up your temperature like crazy in that cramped space? I had terrible experiences with furnaces on a boat. More like a winter only boat for me.

I had this issue too, specifically with the boat I posted earlier. I placed the steering wheel too close to the furnace (which is supposed to resemble a figurehead) which resulted in me only being able to sail in winter. Now I place the wheel in the middle of the boat and I have no issues.

14 hours ago, lionking102 said:

Lureplants used to be very powerful on boats because they could fully feed you. In my picture I had something like 5 or 10 lureplants stacked up on top of eachother, and campfire cooked leafy meat can sustain one standard person with 8 plants. Then patch 450466 stopped you from doing that any more. :cry:

8 hours ago, Kur0u said:

Doesn't the furnace jack up your temperature like crazy in that cramped space?

He put it in a corner so it only heats up around that corner. You can also just use a pair of thermal stones + an ice box, or an icebream.

8 hours ago, Kur0u said:

Like Cheggf underlined, Steering Wheel is at opposite side from Furnace, meaning most time you won't have any problem as-is. Only period one might have an issue on my exemplified boat is some days before Summer and a couple of days after - when you can swap in-between 2 Thermal Fridge-cooled stones (as seen in my picture too).

But yes, would be nice if KLei made some late-game wider boats (similar to Pinegrove's mod example), perhaps via slaying some boss-creature for respective blueprint.

My favorite boat I've ever made I think, it doesn't have alot of structures like alchemy engine or things like this but it is very cool for late game if you have all the essential crafts. (And I think it's a very pretty boat, I'm proud of it)

Spoiler

boat1.thumb.png.89ed60e60855b607ddb2f738190d166f.pngboat2.thumb.png.966443009524230aa6c68919c37a0484.png

Well seems most of these boat designs are significantly vulnerable from Wavey Jones. I also like crowded boats design but now the night is pretty dangerous to sail on a crowded boat when he spawns right behind a structure at the edge, even though he was nerfed once before. Using winged sails is much more safer for sailing because he can only lower it and cannot hoist it which prevents unexpected boat accident.

I have a few questions:

1) Why including the occuvigil, is it because it clears the map with a larger radius that the player’s normal line of sight, or just to share the explored map in real time with the other players?

2) Has anyone tried carrying their pet beefalo on a boat? I’ve tried carrying mine but being so big does not let you see all structures easily, but I’m trying to figure how to get it stuck in a corner in some way. 

Also seeing the most efficient year round design kinda shows that we need larger boats, probably like those of the mod (which look amazing btw)

1 hour ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Has anyone tried carrying their pet beefalo on a boat? I’ve tried carrying mine but being so big does not let you see all structures easily, but I’m trying to figure how to get it stuck in a corner in some way. 

its so annoying and more when it poops every minute like if he had diahrrhea

20201026014746_1.thumb.jpg.c3d6bed010ae7c44adb5ba97f657dc33.jpg

I used this design in my old Wigfrid world. At least, I think I did...

From what I recall, I could freely walk along the edge of the boat, so I had no issue with Wavey Jones.

As for heating and cooling, I filled one of my Tin Fishin' Bins with Ice Breams and Scorching Sunfish (6 of each). I consider the thermal fish to be irreplaceable when it comes to outfitting your boat for year-round use. You could take care of cooling via a pair of Thermal Stones and the already placed Icebox, but heating would require sacrificing a whole lot of valuable space.

2 minutes ago, gaymime said:

oh, if it did that would be brilliant cheese

7 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

1) Why including the occuvigil, is it because it clears the map with a larger radius that the player’s normal line of sight, or just to share the explored map in real time with the other players?

Correct, it reveals the map for all players currently in the world.

I personally wouldn't call it cheese, it's just the ocuvigil doing its intended function, but to each their own : p

Archived