Not sure if its because all the coffee I drank but I need to make a post of this to keep the night terrors away.

Fair warning its gonna get dark.

So, we've all seen the shorts right? They look innocent enough, with each character ending their animation by being transported into the constant. What if what we are witnessing is actually their death?

From the very beginning this game has always been pretty dark, like really dark. The characters are constantly dying and resurrecting, over and over and over and over again,  as if they are in some nightmarish torture realm. When we take a quick look at characters' downsides and upsides something... seems odd. Not to mention how we interact with them and exploit them. What's worse is we could be acting as the jailors. Ensuring their punishment will be everlasting. I will go into each character with shorts thus far separately. 

Willow: She burned down an orphanage, and wether it was intentional or not, she may have killed people. Perhaps she never made it out alive. Willow is now immune to being burned alive... Or is she? She is not in control. We are. 

"Willows sanity is down. Im going to burn down some trees and make her stand in it."

Stand in it willow. Your sanity is going to increase. You like to burn things, so enjoy it. Here is bernie with scorch marks, to remind you what a burned person may look like. 

Winnona: She is a hard worker, labor is all she knows. There was an accident. A building collapsed. Winnona could never possibly blame herself, it absolutely is not her fault. A constant flurry of denials. 

"Winnona is a pick and swap character. Her catapults are must haves."

Your accomplishments will never be your own. People will use you and discard you, like trash. Your hard labor will forever be for others to exploit. If you deny it was you, other will deny you also.

Woodie: Woodie, just what did you do to lucy? You were chopping wood like any other day, weren't you? You didn't see her coming out from behind that tree. You just couldn't live with yourself... could you... Woodie?

"Chop, chop,chop. I'm going to use Lucy, what a great axe."

Every time you chop you will hear it, her voice. She sounds all so nonchalantly towards you, making your suffering all that much worse. You know, deep down, you're a monster. what you did... Can never be forgiven nor forgotten, especially, by you. Though you hate it. We will ensure you cut wood, forever.

Wendy: You're sister was always so eager to play with you. She tried her best to always get your attention, didn't she? 

Wendy! Look, look!  

She made it hard, Didn't she? So, so hard to ignore her pleas to play. Maybe you gave her a little shove? To show her how dangerous it is to play on those cliffs and frighten her. It was only a little shove...

"Wendy is so weak without abigail."

Hard as you may, you will never out run her. Hard as you may, you will always need her. We will use her to take the blows for you, like a tool. Only pain awaits you, without your sister by your side.

Wigfrid:  She was a diva. Fame is a fickle thing. You have it, until you don't. It can be such a frustrating up hill battle just to gaze upon where you once stood. Sometimes we take out our frustrations on those who helped us along the way... physically. When there was no one left to abuse... Did she turn her anger... on herself?

"Wigfrid is a good tank. She can shrug off any damage"

Sometimes anger can be bliss. To let out your frustrations full force until you get your way. However, you may one day feel every blow that you have inflicted upon others, unto yourself.

Wes: Living in society can be hard. Everyone has to do their part to put food on the table. You hear it all the time: "Beggars cant be choosers". Perhaps, Wes came up with a solution: "Then if I beg, others will just have to choose for me!" On the outside it can look so easy; to believe that society will take care of you. Then you have it, hunger. An ever lasting sensation that was the only company every lonesome night. Then one night, your hunger was no more.

"Wes is so useless if he cant benefit others! But don't buff him! Only give him perks to benefit others!" 

How the tables have turned, Wes. Hurry! Hurry! You are needed over here! Now over there! We will place the world on your shoulder, though we know it will crush you. And no matter where you go, there will always be those who call you weak and immediately shun you. All based on reputation alone. They cant see how we've worked you, down to the bone.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, now Im going to sleep. None of this will probably make sense to me in the morning.

20 minutes ago, Serena Tsukino said:

Well really nice theory! But I believe they could instead be in purgatory, it's theorized to be a short-of waiting room for souls before they enter paradise or hell, it's... something in between.

I was super close to saying it was limbo rather than hell. Especially with how the constant is always changing, yet its always similar. But there isn't torture in purgatory. You're basically in a state where you haven't accepted that you're dead. As far I know anyways.

9 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

I was super close to saying it was limbo rather than hell. Especially with how the constant is always changing, yet its always similar. But there isn't torture in purgatory. You're basically in a state where you haven't accepted that you're dead. As far I know anyways.

Well perhaps there really are many sides on this? I was thinking about the purgatory where the souls are supposed to be cleansed from their sins to move on, and maybe the survivors really don't want to move on?

1 hour ago, Mysterious box said:

I mean going by her title screen art I'd say Willow made it out also despite how bleak it may seem it seems clear that not everyone completely hates the constant heck I'd argue if given the choice at bare minimum Wendy, Willow, Wigfrid, and Wes would stay.

That's what klei wants you to think!

Its dangerous to go alone, take this!

137029666-tin-foil-hat-isolated-on-white-background.thumb.jpg.14b410cd1f6edfab6807887ceb67aad0.jpg

19 minutes ago, Serena Tsukino said:

Well perhaps there really are many sides on this? I was thinking about the purgatory where the souls are supposed to be cleansed from their sins to move on, and maybe the survivors really don't want to move on?

Yeah, this could be the case for some of them. Those whose crimes weren't intentional but they cant bring themselves to accept that its all over and that the past cant be changed. In which case its a self inflicted sort of torture. Oof that's sad. 

3 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

The way I've usually seen Purgatory described is essentially it's a place where you would atone for your sins before you get into heaven. If I'm remembering correctly in Dante's Divine Comedy (Dante's Inferno is an incredible hate fic by the way), he actually gets to visit Purgatory and it's basically a mountain where people carry their sins on their back and when they make it to the summit they're free to get into Heaven as they're "cleansed".

The Constant is a lot closer to Hell than Purgatory, although the Constant isn't *eternal* suffering. The survivors clearly have things they can enjoy and do for fun, heck, some of the survivors even prefer the Constant to their previous life situations.

32 minutes ago, Alements said:

What about the characters that call the constant home? Wurt, wormwood and wortox. What are they there for? And the more innocent characters like walter, or warly?

Walter is a young sadistic sociopath who enjoys killing and torturing small animals. That's usually how sociopaths start. He isn't scared of anything except his own death. He joined the scouts as a means to learn more about the outdoors. Probably to make it easier to get rid bodies once he moves on to bigger pray.  

His punishment is to have a small dog. A constant sense of anxiety and urge to feed his impulses but he can never bring himself to harm it. Not to mention the irony of having a ranged weapon but still being forced to get closer for the sake of efficiency. Efficiency can be important to a a sociopath, it probably bugs the hell out of him. His stories are told with no emotion because he has none.  He probably was mauled alive by a bear in the middle of the woods. I can imagine him not being alert and letting his guard down. He though he found a "cabin" after being eaten alive but really he just took an express ticket to hell.

Wormwood, wurt and wortox Ill probably have to think hard about. Demons? Body dysmorphia? Complete mental insanity? Something I find strange about us is that we are so certain that our souls look exactly the way we did in life. Its entirely possible that they changed after death due to extreme trauma or being psychotic.  

21 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Can I get some context...?57a54933963ed_arielsweats.png.7e7d7f360bc047ce1e14cd4d6acd52e6.png

Unlike everyone else he has 0 fear of the terrors around him. Its a common trope for sociopaths to only care about their own well being. He has a knack for killing small creature such as birds and rabbits with his slingshot. Where most boy scouts I know would want to nurse small critters back to health or at least feel some remorse. He is pretty mature for a young boy, in the way he can kill anything to extend his survival. The sadism part might be overkill though, haha.

Funny how he casually says that axes are tools for murders. Axes are very efficient cutting tools for dismembering when you want to get away with hiding a corpse. 

22 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

Unlike everyone else he has 0 fear of the terrors around him. Its a common trope for sociopaths to only care about their own well being. He has a knack for killing small creature such as birds and rabbits with his slingshot. Where most boy scouts I know would want to nurse small critters back to health or at least feel some remorse. He is pretty mature for a young boy, in the way he can kill anything to extend his survival. The sadism part might be overkill though, haha.

Funny how he casually says that axes are tools for murders. Axes are very efficient cutting tools for dismembering when you want to get away with hiding a corpse. 

But he says "sorry" when murdering so everything is fine. :wilson_wink:

HOLY...MOTHER...FORKING...SHIRTBALLS!  _This_ is the--wait, no, I've always been of the opinion that it's Purgatory.  I think Wendy even says something about that at some point.

Gold Nugget.pngGold Nugget- "Even in purgatory it remains the most precious of metals."

...well I could've sworn there was another one from like, when she first sees the place, but that'll do.

I don't think all the characters are evil enough to deserve _hell_...(putting aside for the moment the fact that I'm not religious and don't seriously believe in ANY of these places or concepts) but you could make an argument for the insanity plea for at least a few of them, plus, like others have said, what about the characters who are FROM there?  If this is a punishment place souls get sent to to burn eternally (or cleanse themselves), what about being _born_ there? I'm not gonna go down the whole line of characters right now, but there's a fair few I wouldn't call evil at all.

So...yeah, if you have to get mythological/philosophical at all I'd say the Constant is way closer to Purgatory than Hell, but that still doesn't explain the characters who are born into what's essentially an afterlife, the ones who truly don't deserve eternal punishment, etc.  I've always thought of it as, really, a weird other dimension that just is.  It's not a punishment, a test or a reward.  It's just a place.

...Notorious

12 hours ago, Superlucas1231 said:

what did Warly do to go to hell

"i just want to help my mom who is really ill. I just want her to be safe and happy"

"Lmao nah you put pineapple on pizza and unironically like british food you don't deserve to be with your mom."

As some have said you certainly can imagine it being purgatory, especially if you don't want to think of your favorite characters ending up in that place. 

But I might just be too twisted, sorry!

Warly poisoned her to end her suffering. 

Or

He fell into a depression and ended it knowing full well there would be no one left to take care of her. 

Whats worse is that his mom is in the worst position even in the cannon because he left her behind with no one to take care of her (as far as we know). Shes probably dead either way... and Wes' short kinda confirms that time doesn't just stop in the real world.

12 hours ago, Superlucas1231 said:

what did Warly do to go to hell

"i just want to help my mom who is really ill. I just want her to be safe and happy"

"Lmao nah you put pineapple on pizza and unironically like british food you don't deserve to be with your mom."

As someone who has willingly eaten pizza with pineapple on it many times and tries her best to be a decent person, HEY!   (I don't know about British food.  Not sure if I've ever had it.)

Anyway no Warly definitely does not deserve Hell, probably not Purgatory either.  I much more agree with the "H.P. Lovecraft Lite" idea, myself. 

...Notorious

Archived