So Wes Really Sucks Now?

I don't know how to feel about the rework from a character standpoint, but I can certainty say he's by far the hardest challenge character now.

He got 3 main upsides: The fact that his increased hunger drain was removed, he gets more uses with weapons and tools (which indirectly means he got a buff with using a thulecite club) and his new crafts being a bit helpful, especially the speed + life jacket balloons early on. Although these absolutely pale in comparison to his downsides:

• Lowest stats in the game, with 75 HP (equivalent of Maxwell), 75 sanity (25 less then Webber, who had the lowest sanity of 100, and 37.5% of Wilson's), and 75 hunger (35 less then Walter, who had the lowest hunger of 110).
  • He has increased aggro with hounds compared to any other character, meaning it will not only be harder to shake them off, but also shake them off against other mobs, making strats relying on those much more difficult to pull off.
  • Has -30 off of any insulating item in the game, including both Winter/Summer items.
  • Will be impacted by grogginess for longer, which translates to being at a lower speed more often and also being more vulnerable to being put to sleep.
  • Gets struck by lightning more often (honestly, this is probably the change that will have the least impact, but a downside is a downside).
  • Takes longer to mine/chop/hammer anything (you will use ~the same durability to do so, but it makes it a lot more tedious).
  • Deals 25% less damage against Anything in the game.

Overall, compared to the upsides, those are not good trades in the slightest, especially since you will outclass the speed balloon for the walking cane in terms of reliability by ~day 21, and possibly earlier if you are lucky with boons or the guardian. However, the challenges he imposes could be neat to work around, minus the efficiency downside. It forces you to get creative, and most are not truly inhibiting. The only real issue is you will practically be doing meaty stew strats with Wes now, where you need to intentionally wait to hit 0 hunger before you eat most hunger filling dishes,

TLDR: The rework ended up being a significant amount of downsides in exchange for okay at best upsides, but with his upsides I could see him being an interesting challenge character to play.

9 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I haven’t installed the update yet: but I imagine Wes can just craft and drop them then others can pick them up later..

which if your going to use in a boss fight he can place the balloons around and players can pick them up when needed.

think of it like an ability pick up in a game like Fortnite, Smite etc...

This has potential to make Wes Viable and NOT the complete Joke I’ve hated all this time.

if you throw the speed balloon on the ground, it also flies, losing it
and if you also take a hit with it in your hand, it flies too causing you to lose it

and again, 50 sec of 25% speedup in my opinion doesnt worth it

another detail, if you are with zero sanity, it is not possible to craft any type of balloon

1 minute ago, Maxil20 said:

I don't know how to feel about the rework from a character standpoint, but I can certainty say he's by far the hardest challenge character now.

He got 3 main upsides: The fact that his increased hunger drain was removed, he gets more uses with weapons and tools (which indirectly means he got a buff with using a thulecite club) and his new crafts being a bit helpful, especially the speed + life jacket balloons early on. Although these absolutely pale in comparison to his downsides:

• Lowest stats in the game, with 75 HP (equivalent of Maxwell), 75 sanity (25 less then Webber, who had the lowest sanity of 100, and 37.5% of Wilson's), and 75 hunger (35 less then Walter, who had the lowest hunger of 110).
  • He has increased aggro with hounds compared to any other character, meaning it will not only be harder to shake them off, but also shake them off against other mobs, making strats relying on those much more difficult to pull off.
  • Has -30 off of any insulating item in the game, including both Winter/Summer items.
  • Will be impacted by grogginess for longer, which translates to being at a lower speed more often and also being more vulnerable to being put to sleep.
  • Gets struck by lightning more often (honestly, this is probably the change that will have the least impact, but a downside is a downside).
  • Takes longer to mine/chop/hammer anything (you will use ~the same durability to do so, but it makes it a lot more tedious).
  • Deals 25% less damage against Anything in the game.

Overall, compared to the upsides, those are not good trades in the slightest, especially since you will outclass the speed balloon for the walking cane in terms of reliability by ~day 21, and possibly earlier if you are lucky with boons or the guardian. However, the challenges he imposes could be neat to work around, minus the efficiency downside. It forces you to get creative, and most are not truly inhibiting. The only real issue is you will practically be doing meaty stew strats with Wes now, where you need to intentionally wait to hit 0 hunger before you eat most hunger filling dishes,

TLDR: The rework ended up being a significant amount of downsides in exchange for okay at best upsides, but with his upsides I could see him being an interesting challenge character to play.

Exactly. He isn't a boring challenge character anymore.

lets wait until april fools ends and see how it turns out

ill be pretty disappointed if this comes to stay though, mostly because this will bring people to test him out in private servers for the update just to forget about him afterwards like it happened with Winona

The problem of Wes is basically he doesn't offer interesting late-game perk or character-exclusive ability. Even after the rework there's still little motivation to play Wes since he can't contribute to team-play not much. All he got is few slight upsides (surprising he got actual upsides tho), in returns of more tedious and harsher downsides. Sadly there's almost no potential in Wes right now. I just hope Wes become an actually enjoyable, interesting character after early game, not like a forgotten character for no good before the rework.

The balloon crafts are cool but i miss late game balloons since the speed balloon (with a little of luck) is useless in the 1st winter after all player have their cane, almost the same goes for the balloon hat but it could be used in spring

very good in early game but in late, with his bad gather perk, has nothing to bring just being slow at gathering materials

3 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

The problem of Wes is basically he doesn't offer any interesting late-game perk or character-exclusive ability. Even after the rework there's still little motivation to play Wes since he can't contribute to team-play not much. All he got is few timid upsides (surprising he got actual upsides tho), in returns of more tedious and harsher downsides.

aggro bait is a pretty useful perk, as is drawing down lightning and being able to give temp speed boosts in pubs. those are all small boons for other players

4 minutes ago, HeatAndRun said:

The problem of Wes is basically he doesn't offer any interesting late-game perk or character-exclusive ability. Even after the rework there's still little motivation to play Wes since he can't contribute to team-play not much. All he got is few timid upsides (surprising he got actual upsides tho), in returns of more tedious and harsher downsides.

lel i was just writing the same xD

Speed balloons need patch: Wes should be able to craft them and leave laying around- same way WENDY can craft and leave Vigor Mortis potions to speed up any dead ghost players movement speed.

Wes’s Speed Balloons should only lose durability once picked up- and Once picked up becomes instantly consumed (can’t be kept in inventory and used later) 

They need to be just like the speed jungle buff In Smite once picked up last a duration before expiration.

Wes desperately needs to be actually useful to a team without feeling like a wasted character slot: And this would’ve been a perfect buff to do the job.

To be honest I never expected Wes to get anything positive at all, so I'm pleasantly surprised despite the nerfs. Wes's shtick has always been "Brings nothing to the table except novelty" in my experience. I think a late-game purpose runs counter to that.

25 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Speed balloons need patch: Wes should be able to craft them and leave laying around- same way WENDY can craft and leave Vigor Mortis potions to speed up any dead ghost players movement speed.

Wes’s Speed Balloons should only lose durability once picked up- and Once picked up becomes instantly consumed (can’t be kept in inventory and used later) 

They need to be just like the speed jungle buff In Smite once picked up last a duration before expiration.

Wes desperately needs to be actually useful to a team without feeling like a wasted character slot: And this would’ve been a perfect buff to do the job.

the mechanic is good and unique, also it fits because is a balloon losing air, but it should have better numbers

just make it cost 15 sanity but giving ~+30% speed for the same amount of time so even when you get a cane you could be interesting on using it

It's not obvious Wes is actually a "joke" to klei. In the Forge and Gorge event klei gave Wes a unique upside and exclusive roll. And this time  klei gave an actual upside to Wes again, because of this I personally think klei doesn't just consider Wes as a character that needs to be only bad. It's a shame looking one well-designed character abandoned by players because it doesn't have any decent upside.

So stop saying "Wes needs more nerf" plz.

1 minute ago, bruhmoment23 said:

I don't know why any of you are buying this ""rework"" of his. These new additions don't sound serious at all, i'd like to hear where any of you are getting base assumptions that this will remain in game after the joke dies.

why you asume it is a joke? he is the challenger character so he should have the worst stats thing that werent before since weeber and maxwell have stats under 113

1 minute ago, bruhmoment23 said:

I don't know why any of you are buying this ""rework"" of his. These new additions don't sound serious at all, i'd like to hear where any of you are getting base assumptions that this will remain in game after the joke dies.

I mean it's all actual content, things that took time to program, draw, animate. I highly doubt they did all of this as a joke. If it was like o mega super stats 3000 max hp and 10x damage multiplier then I get that but all the content seems genuinely designed.

28 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

why you asume it is a joke? he is the challenger character so he should have the worst stats thing that werent before since weeber and maxwell have stats under 113

I don't know about you but compared to what everyone else got this feels like a half assed joke not a rework. Guess the challenge in him wasnt rewarding in the first place so there wasnt much expectation to begin with. I suppose he forever will remain a clown and a satire meme.

oooooh boy, people were not kidding about him being a good char for nm fuel. my sanity tanked so much with all the pub ghosts that i kept dying to terrorbeaks myself before i could do many resurrections

i guess pacifist wes has to get gud now

53 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I mean it's all actual content, things that took time to program, draw, animate. I highly doubt they did all of this as a joke. If it was like o mega super stats 3000 max hp and 10x damage multiplier then I get that but all the content seems genuinely designed.

I’ve seen companies do far far more for a one day joke.. but I do agree this seems mostly fitting for Wes- and I do use the term mostly loosely because I expected him to get some of the things we see him using in his billions of animated shorts- Balloon Swords, Balloon Beefalo Mount, The trademark napping pillow Etc...

It was one of the oldest inside jokes of the forums to constantly say that Wes was broken or overpowered in some form or another.

Well, in my opinion, Wes is now an altered challenge character who has altered some of the game's tedium, for better or for worse.

It's time for people to put their money where their mouths are, fully embrace the new Wes and push this joke to the next level.

Archived