Why Wagstaff will never be added to DST

Wagstaff is a fan fav character, I like him too, I love the detail in how his voice and appearance get more distorted as he loses health, his nearsightedness flaw is genius, and I love the Thumper, Telebrella and Telepad. There's one thing though I don't like about wagstaff though. He can't be added to DST. Let me explain.

Wagstaff's main perks are his engineering tab, the electrical doodad, and being able to spot hidden dangers. "This would make a great character though, why can't he be added?" said every fan ever. Well. simply put, all his features have been given to other people. The electrical doodad is not Wagstaff exclusive anymore, his ability to spot hidden dangers was given to wurt, a similar engineering tab has already been given to Winona, and his telebrella and telepad have already sorta been implemented poorly with the Lazy deserter and Desert stones. Adding wagstaff is completely redundant as he's just a package of already implemented features. The only features of his that haven't been implemented in some way is the thumper, and his glasses types. And the glasses really only benefit him, and the thumper kinda undermines shadow loggers/mners/shovelers. Wagstaff would serve no gameplay value being added, the only value I can see being added from wagstaff showing up is lore. Because they'd have to change him much more drastically than other characters to put him in. Klei removed Warbucks because he wasn't fun to play, (That and Idt you can get oincs in SW) and Wagstaff is basically a mix of all these features of different characters/items. While I know fans would love him implemented it just isn't worth it.

5 minutes ago, Aeglefire said:

I thought it was already teased that Wagstaff would be added?

A lot of people mistook the silhouette of Wagstaff, that was teased for hamlet, as a spoiler on the 2021 roadmap. I believe the first comment on that thread linked to it which caused the confusion.

No, he was not teased, something probably lunar was teased, and if your referring to a silhouette of him. Some joker thought they would add him and put his silhouette directly below the announcement so I can understand confusion

Yes HowlVoid, that's exactly what happened

21 minutes ago, Dragolantis said:

The electrical doodad is not Wagstaff exclusive anymore

While I think Wagstaff is definitely not getting added, electrical doodads were never really meant to be a Wagstaff exclusive thing. Wagstaff being able to craft them without DLCs is just the result of him being designed with Hamlet in mind and the devs realized all too late that they needed to make him backwards compatible to release him as a base game character.

Same goes for the Pretty Parasol.

Adding wagstaff is completely redundant as he's just a package of already implemented features.

That literally can be said about any character. Why have Willow when you can make a torch and kill the nightmares yourself? Why have Wendy when you can recruit pigs and let them do the fighting? Why have Maxwell when you can gather stuff yourself. All characters do is add a new flavor and that's it, the only charcter that actually adds new mechanics is Wurt because she unlocks the Merm king and merm companions.

Webber, Wolfgang, Wigfrid, Wickerbottom, etc they don't do anything you can't already do as Wilson. Hell Wolfgang and WX barely even have a power.

Same as we can have several characters for gathering, or several characters for combat, we can have several characters for engineering. The characters with their unique crafting tabs are very few and only thing Winona has is a catapult.

They can do lots of things for Wagstaff, rework him even, give him new crafting items or something.

And the glasses really only benefit him, and the thumper kinda undermines shadow loggers/mners/shovelers

So we're removing Wendy because only she can use Abigail flower? Wickerbottom's books too?

And it's funny you think the thumper undermines shadow loggers/miners when they already undermine Woodie.

Klei removed Warbucks because he wasn't fun to play

Feels like you're trolling.

f03r0k8j6mf21.jpg

45 minutes ago, Dragolantis said:

While I agree that his inclusion is unlikely, I don't think his inventions cant be reworked to be less overlapping with othe characters' perks.

Telebrella/Telepad: This could be reworked to be long distance rather than having multiple. Even if its only viable function is to be able to teleport to the lunar island that alone is worth it imo. Making trips there and back take at least a day not to mention an unexpected hound wave. Maybe even be able to cycle between multiple long distance teleporters to get to pearls island too. Antlions teleporter requires at least another person.

Goggles: Seeing has he has an easy way to make trips to the lunar island it makes sense to give him new moon glass googles. They could do damage to nightmares as well as induce enlightenment outside the lunar biomes.

Electrical doodad: Rather expect him to compete with Winnona we can discuss possible synergies. Electrical doodas could be used as a way to power Winnonas generators if the recipe could be made a bit more expensive. Maybe even give Wagstaff a battery craft that uses doodads for his creations and can be used on winnona's generators.

I could honestly make up tons of inventions a salt generator, a bath bomb substitute, etc. (From the top of my head). Klei could make him work if they really wanted to.

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

warbucks doesnt even fit dst theme. Same with woodlegs and wheeler

That's subjective, someone could say that Wormwood looks very out of place and same goes for Wortox (who is kinda like a mod character imo).

https://jeffagala.tumblr.com/post/615031573046296576/winona-tries-to-save-wagstaff-from-being-sucked

Winona was only pulled in about a minute later than Wagstaff was.  And yet only one of them is in DST.  

47 minutes ago, Dragolantis said:

No, he was not teased, something probably lunar was teased, and if your referring to a silhouette of him. Some joker thought they would add him and put his silhouette directly below the announcement so I can understand confusion

Yes HowlVoid, that's exactly what happened

1 hour ago, Dragolantis said:

The electrical doodad is not Wagstaff exclusive anymore, his ability to spot hidden dangers was given to wurt, a similar engineering tab has already been given to Winona,. Adding wagstaff is completely redundant as he's just a package of already implemented features.  And the glasses really only benefit him, and the thumper kinda undermines shadow loggers/mners/shovelers.

A couple things,  Wurt can only spot swamp dangers while Wagstaff can spot all hidden dangers,  Winona and Wagstaff are barely similar when it comes to buildings one of them can build actual helpful buildings being a teleporter and resource gatherer while Winona can only build one helpful structure (catapult) and a useless building (spotlight) Also if his glasses "only benefits him" why don't we remove Wolfgang for not being able to give his damage buff to others,  remove Wendy because Abigail only follows her,  remove the codex umbra because only Maxwell can use it,  remove Wurt for being the only one that can be near merms,  remove Webber's ability to be near spiders,  remove Wickerbottom's books because only her and Maxwell can read them,  remove Winona's crafting speed because only she can craft that fast, and remove Walter because Woby only follows him.  Could you also please elaborate on how a stationary building undermines multiple moving creatures when it comes to resource gathering?

1 hour ago, Dragolantis said:

Wagstaff is a fan fav character, I like him too, I love the detail in how his voice and appearance get more distorted as he loses health, his nearsightedness flaw is genius, and I love the Thumper, Telebrella and Telepad. There's one thing though I don't like about wagstaff though. He can't be added to DST. Let me explain.

Wagstaff's main perks are his engineering tab, the electrical doodad, and being able to spot hidden dangers. "This would make a great character though, why can't he be added?" said every fan ever. Well. simply put, all his features have been given to other people. The electrical doodad is not Wagstaff exclusive anymore, his ability to spot hidden dangers was given to wurt, a similar engineering tab has already been given to Winona, and his telebrella and telepad have already sorta been implemented poorly with the Lazy deserter and Desert stones. Adding wagstaff is completely redundant as he's just a package of already implemented features. The only features of his that haven't been implemented in some way is the thumper, and his glasses types. And the glasses really only benefit him, and the thumper kinda undermines shadow loggers/mners/shovelers. Wagstaff would serve no gameplay value being added, the only value I can see being added from wagstaff showing up is lore. Because they'd have to change him much more drastically than other characters to put him in. Klei removed Warbucks because he wasn't fun to play, (That and Idt you can get oincs in SW) and Wagstaff is basically a mix of all these features of different characters/items. While I know fans would love him implemented it just isn't worth it.

PqHxwndYg4U.jpg?size=770x472&quality=96&sign=856a9bcd36052479013bcd9786ea9a87&type=album
These are not arguments..
You understand that any character can be revised almost from scratch. Relying on just one function like engineering, you can come up with a lot of different features for it. There are a lot of things you can think of, add, update to it. There are about ten million possibilities, if you just want to think seriously about its role and features in the team game.
I believe that it will be added... I'LL BE WAITING FOR HIM!
I DON'T WANT BORING MONSTER CHARACTERS AGAIN!
And I don't want any new characters at all.. I just want to see how the old characters and their stories develop..
Excuse me... This is the cry of the soul..

37 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

That's subjective, someone could say that Wormwood looks very out of place and same goes for Wortox (who is kinda like a mod character imo).

what does an explorer or a pirate in the constant island? wormwood or wortox are just monsters in a monster world

8 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Honestly, the way wagstaff interacts in the constant makes him feel like an antagonist to me. I feel like he would be too important to be a playable character.

or a hero, depending or what you inspect, i see him as a curious scientific making hypothesis about the potential use of the stuff he discover

50 minutes ago, bruhmoment23 said:

Lmao what is this thread

Click-bait. "10 reasons why X will never happen and this is why you should ACT NOW!!!"

On a personal note I don't get why people are so adamant about Wagstaff or Warbucks. Seems for first one they really love his Thumper because they can't use Bearger/Deerclops like the rest (or a poor man's Woodie/Maxwell), and for latter core being "edgy memes", as Warbucks was blunt af from game-play pov.

I would like Wagstaff to be added because he's a cool guy who wants to end the world and his blurry vision con was very unique and interesting.

Spoiler

Though, I predict if there's ever going to be any more reworked characters from DS it'll be Wilbur.

3 hours ago, Dragolantis said:

The electrical doodad is not Wagstaff exclusive anymore

It never was. DS released in 2013 and is the only version of the game without the electrical doodad. RoG released in 2014 adding the electrical doodad which stayed in every further version of the game, including 2016's Shipwrecked, 2016's Don't Starve Together, and 2019's Hamlet. In 2019 Wagstaff was added, for some reason as a base game character, but he has electrical doodads in some of his unique recipes so he was given the ability to craft them regardless of whether or not they exist.

his ability to spot hidden dangers was given to wurt

Not really. But also who cares? Three characters have a damage bonus. There's already a ton of overlap on what people can do.

a similar engineering tab has already been given to Winona

One person can create turrets and lights. One person can throw fireballs, teleport, destroy trees, craft armor, have infrared vision, and see secrets. There is not a single thing in common.

and his telebrella and telepad have already sorta been implemented poorly with the Lazy deserter and Desert stones

Woodie and Maxwell are also sorta implemented poorly with moonglass axes. They're a lot closer, though, since both moonglass axes and the lumberjacks just chop trees, while the telebrella is significantly different to how the lazy deserter works.

The only features of his that haven't been implemented in some way is the thumper

The thumper is the only feature of his that has been implemented in some way. It achieves the same thing Woodie & Maxwell already do so it would probably not be brought over with his character refresh.

And the glasses really only benefit him

That's nearly every single perk in the entire game. Wilson has no team abilities. Wolfgang has no team abilities. Wendy has no team abilities. WX has no team abilities. Webber has no team abilities. Winona has no team abilities. Wurt has no team abilities. Walter has no team abilities. Even the people who potentially have team abilities could have no team abilities if they choose to use their abilities in a selfish way.

Characters improve themselves so that they can improve the team. Just because he isn't automatically healing people doesn't mean the glasses only benefit himself. 

Because they'd have to change him much more drastically than other characters to put him in.

Warly lost his special recipes. Warly lost his positive food multiplier. Warly lost the ability to eat uncrockpotted food. Warly gained the ability to make spices. Warly gained special recipes. Warly gained a grinding mill. Warly gained a seasoning station. Warly gained faster cooking. Warly's hunger drain was changed. Warly's chef pouch was changed.

Warly lost three things, gained five things, changed two things, and kept literally only two things out of his entire kit: the portable crock pot, and repeated dish penalties.

Wagstaff can't possibly need to be changed more than Warly was. Spectoggles, infroggles, visor, and fryfocals are all fine and can be ported over no problem. Telebrella & thumper might need to be removed. Then he'd get some new goggles added or something. Mostly the same character with only some minor changes, unlike Warly who's similarities start and end at "Me carry crock pot, hate normal food".

Adding wagstaff is completely redundant as he's just a package of already implemented features. Wagstaff would serve no gameplay value being added, the only value I can see being added from wagstaff showing up is lore.

I can make an argument that is exactly as solid as yours for why adding any already existing character is redundant and serves no gameplay value because there's already things in the game vaguely kind of similarish if you squint really hard.

3 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

One person can create turrets and lights. One person can throw fireballs, teleport, destroy trees, craft armor, have infrared vision, and see secrets. There is not a single thing in common.

I agree. OP said in the other thread that Wheeler's problem is her dodge, even though walter already has a "gun". And if we can have 2 gun users, we can have 2 builders

2 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Click-bait. "10 reasons why X will never happen and this is why you should ACT NOW!!!"

On a personal note I don't get why people are so adamant about Wagstaff or Warbucks. Seems for first one they really love his Thumper because they can't use Bearger/Deerclops like the rest (or a poor man's Woodie/Maxwell), and for latter core being "edgy memes", as Warbucks was blunt af from game-play pov.

Bulk player base cant use bearger and deerclops so be respectful about how people play ;)

We want hin because lore and being a scientific not because his structure

Archived