Solution to Late Game Hound Waves?/How exactly does Lucky Whistle Work?

So with the new update you can apparently change world settings on existing worlds and within world settings is the Events toggle which you can replay old events with. Now that you can change this whenever you want you can revisit old Events but still be able to participate in new/seasonal ones as they are released in the same world. Year of the Varg includes the Lucky Whistle which you can now technically get endlessly (I think you can even just win Lucky Nuggets by doing YotB or YotC content which doesn't include combat then change event and use them if you want to). This item apparently makes Hounds passive??? It can only Tame up to 5 Hounds at a time but thats still pretty nuts.

Does anyone know exactly how the Whistle functions? Can you turn 5 hounds on other hounds for example? Do they attack any targets you attack like bunny/pigmen or do they literally just follow you without attacking but also without obeying any commands? Depending on how the whistle works you could potentially use it as a late game tool for making hound waves a LOT more tolerable. Simply make 5 Hounds passive and use them to fight the rest of the wave. At the very least it will stop 5 hounds from attacking allowing you to take out the rest of the wave first. Either way it seems pretty nice now that it isn't so niche and something you could only get for a limited time. Thoughts?

Found an old video showcasing year of the varg and the creator uses the whistle to tame both Clay and normal hounds and is able to turn both types against their own this way. Seems like an amazing new way to deal with Hound Waves! I'm going to start hoarding lucky nuggets now so that I can turn them all in for as many whistles as possible.

5 hours ago, GelatinousCube said:

So with the new update you can apparently change world settings on existing worlds and within world settings is the Events toggle which you can replay old events with. Now that you can change this whenever you want you can revisit old Events but still be able to participate in new/seasonal ones as they are released in the same world. Year of the Varg includes the Lucky Whistle which you can now technically get endlessly (I think you can even just win Lucky Nuggets by doing YotB or YotC content which doesn't include combat then change event and use them if you want to). This item apparently makes Hounds passive??? It can only Tame up to 5 Hounds at a time but thats still pretty nuts.

If that's true that is a total bummer. Re-playing events will limit and diminish their importance, they will not be an event anymore. I know the philosophy of Don't Starve is "do what you want" but still an event should be an important moment to spend with your friends or strangers. If you can do whatever you want, what's the difference from a normal day you play with?

15 minutes ago, Milordo said:

If that's true that is a total bummer. Re-playing events will limit and diminish their importance, they will not be an event anymore. I know the philosophy of Don't Starve is "do what you want" but still an event should be an important moment to spend with your friends or strangers. If you can do whatever you want, what's the difference from a normal day you play with?

So all the year of the varg, gobbler, pig king and carrat content that was created should just forever be locked to everyone? 

New events will still be important as they always bring new unique content. Plus you can only get special event skins during actual events.

Lots of people already lock their worlds into a past year of because they love the content but that locks out new events in that world forever. Now we can do that but swap back to current events as well.

This is one of the best things to ever happen to DST in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, GelatinousCube said:

Not a fan of tooth traps... so time consuming setting enough up then having to reset and eventually replace. Too much hard work on console and they don't look particularly nice 

You can build few pig houses or/and bunny houses arround iceflingomatics. They dont need to be reset or placed and arent wasted after 10 uses like traps

But what i do and i have the most fun is just killing them by my self. Takes time to learn but later is the safer to know how to deal with them in case they spawn far away of your base or in the  middle of a boss fight and is way more fun than being afk in the middle of a trap field that later will need to be reset

Edit: with bad ping is near impossible i guess

26 minutes ago, Milordo said:

You have always been able to do this using mods, and even without mods you've still been able to replay events but the world is permanently locked to them. Also it's not too long now until Year of the Beefalo goes away and is completely inaccessible without altering world settings for the next 12 years...

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

You can build few pig houses or/and bunny houses arround iceflingomatics. They dont need to be reset or placed and arent wasted after 10 uses like traps

But what i do and i have the most fun is just killing them by my self. Takes time to learn but later is the safer to know how to deal with them in case they spawn far away of your base or in the  middle of a boss fight and is way more fun than being afk in the middle of a trap field that later will need to be reset

Edit: with bad ping is near impossible i guess

Why is everyone just giving me tips on hounds? I can handle them fine and I'm aware of the many many ways to combat them. 

I personally have a houndius setup in base for winter/spring hounds and I generally use strategically placed beef herds for fire hounds. Often I'll fight hounds on my own if I'm out in the middle of nowhere or if I'm randomly playing Wendy I just let Abigail shred them. 

I just think that having the whistle being  readily available and renewable gives us a really cool new way to deal with hound waves.

57 minutes ago, Milordo said:

I disagree, because you can just... choose to not change events if you don't like being able to change events freely. I've been through every event since Year of the Varg on my current save file, playing actively during each one to maximize the cool items I get, but I still intend to go through events naturally because I have the choice of doing so, and I don't think other people choosing to play events freely diminishes my experience at all. That's the cool thing about world settings: everyone gets to choose which ones they personally prefer, and it only affects them.

Plus people are still 100% going to get active and want to play events whenever they turn on naturally, since they usually have new content and they've got increased and/or exclusive skin drops.

1 hour ago, Milordo said:

At least I will not have to use commands for that anymore (or other people mods).

Events activated by Klei still have special drop rate/clothes/items. 

The whistle isn't very reliable. It tends to randomly ignore some hounds and the play animation can be a problem if your animation gets reset by bites. Causing infighting is also more troublesome than simply doing your best to dispose of them with various tools and endgame gear, or just smacking down that white hound first. It's also annoying to craft, considering the recipe is locked behind an event.

8 minutes ago, Well-met said:

It's also annoying to craft, considering the recipe is locked behind an event.

Right now would be the best time for it if you're fine with changing events (like the OP here is), though. All you have to do is switch YotV on once and prebuild a single Varg Shrine and then you have the ability to craft shrines and Hound Whistles forever, so you can switch back to default or whatever event you'd prefer.

IDK exactly how the whistle works, I've played very little during that event and I remember the whistle being meh; as far as late game hounds options, I think houndiuses are easily the best choice.

The reason everyone including me is adressing the hounds is because the title makes it seem like you'd want advice with those. After reading the thread again I understand you only wanted to know about the whistle, but the title is a bit misleading. 

One way of making a hound trap is to make a sort of cage with statues, and put catapults or houndious's inside of it (along with light and a flingo) and if you place the statues close enough, the hounds can't get through. This take a lot of time and resources to make, but it doesn't require any maintenance like a normal tooth trap trap.

For the cage itself, you can either do two circles with entrances on opposite ends so hounds don't get in. Or put it on the other side of a wormhole if you have a viable spot for it near your base.

While I see a lot of people giving advice/tips on how to build gauntlets, I think OP wants to know an effective way of how to deal with them portably, as in away from base/gauntlets.

I do think the whistle will be a fantastic way to combat hounds later on. In my current world, I usually deal with hounds via blowdarts if I know I can’t reach my gauntlets. While it is pretty effective at doing so, I can only do it about 2 times before I have to go back to base and replenish the darts. With a hound whistle, you can deal with 10 hound waves and not worry about going back to base. I definitely know I’ll be changing my world events for that item alone.

Portable methods will never be a surefire no maintenance way of dealing with hounds, but it really helps having a method on you later on that only takes up a single inventory slot so you can work on projects all over the world, and not need to build a gauntlet in every biome to deal with hounds.

51 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

While I see a lot of people giving advice/tips on how to build gauntlets, I think OP wants to know an effective way of how to deal with them portably, as in away from base/gauntlets.

I do think the whistle will be a fantastic way to combat hounds later on. In my current world, I usually deal with hounds via blowdarts if I know I can’t reach my gauntlets. While it is pretty effective at doing so, I can only do it about 2 times before I have to go back to base and replenish the darts. With a hound whistle, you can deal with 10 hound waves and not worry about going back to base. I definitely know I’ll be changing my world events for that item alone.

Portable methods will never be a surefire no maintenance way of dealing with hounds, but it really helps having a method on you later on that only takes up a single inventory slot so you can work on projects all over the world, and not need to build a gauntlet in every biome to deal with hounds.

Finally someone gets it, thank you!!!

Don't worry we'll hoard and utilize Whistles while everyone sleeps on them =p

I have been testing this whistle the past few days and I like it a lot.

It can absolutely handle a 10 hound wave fairly easily, which is pretty awesome. It also works on Varg hounds so you could make massive hound wars, there is some farming potential there for sure but I am yet to explore it.

9 minutes ago, BeeClops said:

I have been testing this whistle the past few days and I like it a lot.

It can absolutely handle a 10 hound wave fairly easily, which is pretty awesome. It also works on Varg hounds so you could make massive hound wars, there is some farming potential there for sure but I am yet to explore it.

Yeah I've been using it too, it's amazing for hound waves when far from base/beefalo and super handy for clay Varg fights.

On 2/25/2021 at 4:44 AM, GelatinousCube said:

Not a fan of tooth traps... so time consuming setting enough up then having to reset and eventually replace. Too much hard work on console and they don't look particularly nice 

You are literally comparing 

One time setup + some maintenance  

to

Constant gold consumption and still requiring direct/indirect combat

2 minutes ago, TemporarySolutn said:

You are literally comparing 

One time setup + some maintenance  

to

Constant gold consumption and still requiring direct/indirect combat

Don't you know people seem to love kiting late-game hounds, all 10 of them?! And throwing a tantrum of sorts when anyone proposes permanent & automatic hounds disposal setups, rightly so?!?! Yep, it's a thing! What you say, that on all pubs and private servers you personally visited no one does that, and/or delog/enter caves when Hounds Attack sounds are played?! Bollocks! Those surely must be all puny nooby-noobs! All real experienced players kite late-game hounds. It's so easy even a toddler with Axe can do it, blindfolded. Else you are not an experienced player, just some fake and otherwise spurious pretender! Mighty Wolfgang gang verified statement :bee:

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Don't you know people seem to love kiting late-game hounds, all 10 of them?! And throwing a tantrum of sorts when anyone proposes permanent & automatic hounds disposal setups, rightly so?!?! Yep, it's a thing! What you say, that on all pubs and private servers you personally visited no one does that, and/or delog/enter caves when Hounds Attack sounds are played?! Bollocks! Those surely must be all puny nooby-noobs! All real experienced players kite late-game hounds. It's so easy even a toddler with Axe can do it, blindfolded. Else you are not an experienced player, just some fake and otherwise spurious pretender! Mighty Wolfgang gang verified statement :bee:

why the **** are there only 10 hounds

Archived